Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

astr0man posted:

In TYOOL 2013 why don't you just use an IDE
So I missed out on the flamewar in the horrors thread, but I did have some comments in regard to this:

Perhaps an obvious, but otherwise understated point, is that Vim very much adheres to the Unix philosophy of serving as a tool (among many in the toolbox) to do one thing ridiclously well: editing text.

I've been using Vim, nearly exclusively, for all my editing tasks, including code, document preparation, whatever, both professionally and as a hobbyist, for well over a decade now. And there's something really awesome about having a tool that's both very good at editing code/text/whatever, but also being able to do so in nearly every context. In my experience (and perhaps it's somewhat dated), but IDEs are largely "one-trick ponies" with regard to language support. Whereas Vim is pretty awesome at C-family languages, Java, Perl/Python/Ruby, Bourne Shell, Makefiles, R, (La)TeX, various assembly and macro languages, hex editing (with xxd), and one-off DSLs. I can, and do, deal with all of those on a frequent basis, and being able to use the same tool with a familiar and consistent environment in all those contexts contributes to massive productivity. I don't think I'd be nearly as proficient if I had to use 5+ different IDEs as I wouldn't use any one long enough to become sufficiently familiar with it. Then there's also the part where I write nearly all my code in remote screen sessions from multiple machines, but mostly from my underpowered laptop which is perfect for ssh+screen+vim and little else.

Recently I've started using Google Docs a bit more for its collaborative features, and while I appreciate the realtime collaborative aspects of it (which, "screen -x" + Vim can do in a pinch too), it can be frustrating. Plus, have you ever tried using a "mouse" on a laptop? It's awful.

Anyways, preaching to the choir here ....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It makes Debian changelogs pretty. Or it did, now those load as the debchangelog filetype.

• Locked thread