Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

fidel sarcastro posted:

I'm using airline, same idea though. They're both really good.

Yeah I've found airline to be more lightweight and easier to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
As someone who is a really dedicated vim user, is there a reason to try eclim? I don't write Java. I'm not sure what IDE features from Eclipse I'm actually missing out on. My primary languages are Go, R, and Python. Is the stuff from Eclipse just more useful for Java/C++?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Cat Plus Plus posted:

You're missing out on fun features like forgetting how to render text properly, randomly occurring internal errors, and "restart" option built-in. Eclipse is not very good.

For Python you could take a look at PyCharm, which recently got a free version (it also has Vim emulator, IdeaVim; haven't used it though).

I'm not all that interested in switching away from my highly custom vim without good reason. I see a lot of coworkers liking Eclipse, but they are all Java guys so that must explain it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

If I interact with vim exclusively through ssh to a cluster of computers I don't control (my university's computer lab), how much can I do to make C code easier to edit? For my first couple of projects I've gone with vim as a pure editor, meaning that there's no intellisense or any real assistance from vim at all. Just basic syntax hilighting seems to work out of the box. Most of the info in the OP seems to assume that I have access to install plugins, which I don't. Can I do anything to make my life easier?

I tried working on my projects in Visual Studio for a while, but most of our projects depend on Linux syscalls and target the Linux environment so it proved to quickly become too annoying to constantly scp my source back to the lab computers to test it.

If you have write access to a folder that you can always see, you could probably get Vundle to install packages to that folder, no?

• Locked thread