Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthesizer Patel
Feb 16, 2004

But, despite this, Synthesizer and others must stay constantly vigilant as synthesizer theft is rife.
After not wanting to commit the time to write it myself 5-6 years ago, occasionally I'd look around to see if anyone else had written a Python wrapper that
can speak the netbeans protocol that vim speaks. This guy did it, and did a pretty good job of it as well: https://code.google.com/p/vimoir/.

You can ignore the main jist of his project, it provides audio-feedback based on vim events - if you know python and you know vim, his netbeans class
really is super duper for interfacing directly with vim. The netbeans interface gives you a way to get notifications for events, as well as trigger events
and run commands programatically (much more powerful than the embedded python/perl interface - you can do most of what vim is capable of doing
without having to actually type stuff in - the origins of the netbeans protocol was an addon or something to the netbeans java IDE so you could use vim
inside the editor as a 'native' editor. I dunno.

If I remember correctly, you can hook key events to trigger the netbeans event-loop, and there's a 'user has gone idle' event - since vim isn't and won't
ever be threaded - thems the breaks. But, better than nothing.

In other travels, vim-qt, the project that takes real-vim and embeds it into a qt-window seems to be working. It's kind of interesting because you can
write Qt plugins pretty easily so something like a file manager wouldn't be out of the question.. Not that one exists. This guy -> https://github.com/alloy,
made a file manager sidebar for MacVim, but it looked janky on my monitor.

And finally, a little pro tip on how to hex edit with vim:

You can convert your file to hex with:

:%!xxd

Make your edits..

And then reverse the process with

:%!xxd -r

Give it a try, becaue gdb is for pussies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread