Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I have become addicted to Vim keys / modal editing for programming, and also completion for C++. The problem is, what I'm using for completion/semantic completion, YouCompleteMe, while it works well, makes Vim slow to a crawl after an unpredictable amount of time between 30 minutes and two hours. I have tried everything to resolve this and it appears to be a YCM issue that the developer is unwilling/unable to address.

I know there are several other options, a big one being NeoCompleteCache, but I just want to hear what people are using for this and what has worked well for them instead of trying out a hundred other plugins and realizing I don't like them. Has anybody found a C++ completion engine that just works? A big bonus is the ability to do semantic completion based on standard libraries, and an even bigger bonus is the ability to do semantic completion on third-party libraries, but I'm willing to go with something that's a little simpler, as long as it gets variable names and such.

Should I just suck it up and buy Sublime2/vintage mode? Does that emulate the whole modal editing thing sufficiently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I actually figured this out. It turns out that I was syntax highlighting was slowing everything down, so I added "syntax sync minlines=256" to and took out "set t_Co=256" from my vimrc and it's fast.

• Locked thread