Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

fidel sarcastro posted:

And if you use numbers.vim you also get relative numbering in normal mode, and absolute in insert mode as a bonus. :science:

I get something similar with:
code:
" Relative Numbering
set number
set relativenumber
autocmd InsertEnter * :set relativenumber!
autocmd InsertLeave * :set relativenumber
autocmd WinEnter * :setlocal relativenumber
autocmd WinLeave * :setlocal relativenumber!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004

The Gay Bean posted:

I have become addicted to Vim keys / modal editing for programming, and also completion for C++. The problem is, what I'm using for completion/semantic completion, YouCompleteMe, while it works well, makes Vim slow to a crawl after an unpredictable amount of time between 30 minutes and two hours. I have tried everything to resolve this and it appears to be a YCM issue that the developer is unwilling/unable to address.

I ran into the same issue, and in the end I just stopped using YCM. I use ctags quite a bit for my auto-complete, although that doesn't help much with libraries. Instead, now I just read the documentation in Dash or Zeal, which is definitely not as efficient. :(

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

OK, so I figured out how to use vundle and make a vimrc, but it looks like clang_complete needs clang installed to work. How would I go about installing clang to my home directory? All the installation steps I can find assume I have full control of the machine.

When you do the ./configure step you can pass it --prefix=~/some/homedir/path and when you do make install it will go there.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Cool. Are these the right steps: http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html
Checking out llvm is taking forever!

It's not a small thing and in the end may not work out if you have any time constraints where fussing with it gets in the way of actual work. In that case I'd suggest looking into tags with vim. That should be simple to set up and it'll give you completion of your own code and an easy way to bounce around in it.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
gVim is just a window wrapper around vim. The thing with vim in Windows is that there are a few default shortcuts that are different due to global Windows shortcuts (most notably ctrl+c and ctrl+v). :help explains the differences.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks. I fired Vim up for the first time at work today, it's going to take some getting used to but I'm liking it so far.

vimtutor is your friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
You could try something like what this guy does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHm36-na4-4&t=720s (start at 12m, watch for 4-5 minutes).

Here's hit github with his plugins: https://github.com/thoughtstream/Damian-Conway-s-Vim-Setup

• Locked thread