Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm starting my foray into linux and programming today after thinking about it on and off for a few years and would like to dink around in Vim and python while learning Linux.

Instead of frying my os's and storage drives due to trivial mistakes/typos and never getting my AMD card or sound working when trying to install Gentoo like an idiot for a few days, I'd like to know if there is a persistent programmer friendly USB based Linux that has vim that I can experiment on. I don't need all the bells and whistles and I know the bare-basics of command line. I'm curious if I really can get to a point where I do pretty much everything from command line.

I just want to be able to listen to some music or something while going through my python tutorials and books, I downloaded those free MIT comp science courses as well. SliTaz didn't support my keyboard for some reason, I chose US non accented IDK.

I'm know a bit about systemrescuecd and am currently running calculate linux desktop xfce off a 4gb flash drive.

I'm going to do my Practical Vim and Learn Python The Hard Way Exercises after I finish vimtutor, I also tried that vim adventure, but I'm not going to pay for it.
I tried using Levinux-master in windows, and while I appreciate it for what it is, I'd rather use a real operating system if possible.

Really anything would work I guess, but It would be cool to have some persistence so I can focus on the exercises and also so I can get an idea of the Linux experience that I enjoy for later.

Any other advice for a new guy like me? I guess I could have posted this somewhere else probably, but I'm planning on learning the VIM way on my own for awhile and maybe taking a coding bootcamp after a year or two as a backup or new career. I'm poised to make lower end programming wages anyway after completing my 3 year Union Ironworker apprenticeship, but that will break my body down possibly.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Thanks! I Think porteus would serve my needs in the meantime. I wasn't planning on using emulation until I get my next machine and Vga passthrough matures a little bit.

I speed read and have picked up a lot about linux and a fuzz about programming (osmosis), I'll be sure to follow cobol now instead of just joke yosps. I think I read the entirety of linux on desktop thread for example.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 24, 2016

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

sharktamer posted:

You could try using pythonanywhere too.

Noted, It's good to know things exist for later. Vim is probably my first step though, I'll even have a new way to play rougelikes and muds now, hopefully be doing more productive things in the future though.

I suppose I could get another SSD, I'm just scared of grep and fuzzy on partitioning linux and such for dual boot, virtualization will be extremely cool once vga passthrough becomes ubiquitous.

• Locked thread