Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
A wild landscaping appears. I started on the garage side bed because it's the smallest and I thought it would be fairly easy to tackle. I cleared the remaining mulch (hardly any) from the beds, attacked the weeds as best I could, and put another layer of landscaping fabric down.

Who knew moving a lot of rock by hand would be hard, slow work?

In the end, it turned out nice enough and it should be easier to keep looking decent compared to mulch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
More landscaping work over the weekend. It really doesn't look like much, but removing the excess mulch/dirt/weeds before putting your fabric and stone down sure takes a long time. I didn't do this all in one go, this was split over Friday/Saturday I think.

I didn't get any pictures of the finished product, but here is the one gutter I was talking about that was always full of water and grossness. I did manage to get a downspout added here on Sunday.

The other project yesterday was hanging some outdoor string lights for the deck

It turned out great, 3 strands is more than enough light and I can still have the patio umbrella up without interfering.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

drat that kicks rear end

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nice work, landscaping does indeed suck rear end to do. What is the PVC pipe sticking above your gutter, looks like it comes from near your foundation, is it a radon vent or some heater vent thing?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

tangy yet delightful posted:

Nice work, landscaping does indeed suck rear end to do. What is the PVC pipe sticking above your gutter, looks like it comes from near your foundation, is it a radon vent or some heater vent thing?

Yep you're right, it's a radon mitigation system.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

It turned out great, 3 strands is more than enough light and I can still have the patio umbrella up without interfering.

This looks so cosy and pleasant already, it's going to look fantastic when it's done.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I've been ever so slowly working on the landscaping. Not that I haven't been putting in the time, it just takes so long.

Here was some of the mess last week when I was working on it. It's a good example of what our flowerbeds have become and why I opted for stone.

I had some cute help to keep me going

I made it to end

This is the last section I need to do.

I was saving it for last as it needs a lot of dirt moved/reshaped and a stump pulled out. You may also notice that the pile of stones is overlapping this area a bit, which is unfortunate because I need to dig that area out to level it with the rest of the bed.

Here I am exposing the roots for what used to be a japanese maple tree. This took a considerable amount of time, as you can imagine.

Not messing around

Mostly extracted. This was ungodly heavy. I was trying to manhandle it around and of of the bigger roots that was cut off smashed my knee and I thought I was going to barf for about 5 mintues.

When I pulled it the rest of the way out into the yard, the bush next to it came along for the ride. I ended up re-planting it, I have no idea if it's going to survive but at this point I don't care.

This is where I left it yesterday evening. I worked on this probably 8+ hard hours over the weekend and I was just over it at this point. It's not immediately obvious in the picture, but I tried to scrape the rocks away from the edge of the flower bed as best I could. This area still needs a lot of dirt removed, I've been removing about 5" or so.

There is also a distict possibility that I might not have enough stone. It's going to be close.

I'm hoping for good weather this week so I can get this drat thing crossed off my list and reclaim my truck's parking spot. OH YEA AND THEN I CAN START WORKING ON LEAVES GOODIE.

Random picture I enjoyed: My daughter playing "person driving in the left lane while not passing" simulator

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
The rocks are dispersed and I have my parking space back. I win :byewhore: I suppose it's good that I got pretty much the perfect amount of stone, I would have been really mad if I had been short.

On to another project.

A few months ago I came to terms with getting rid of the pool table that's in our basement. To no one's surprise, we just didn't use it. Several frustrating weeks later of dealing with potential buyers (I challenge you to find an item worse to sell in terms of dealing with flaky people) it was sold.

With the pool table gone and possibilities endless, I came up with a new long-term plan for the basement.

Here is a sketchup from years ago assuming we'd move the laundry upstairs and we wanted a bath with a shower downstairs.

Here is a more updated plan.

With the pool table gone, we have a lot more space to work with and less restrictions about where things have to go. We also have decided that we're ok keeping the laundry downstairs and a small half bath is more than good enough. The new plan moves the TV to the other end of the basement, allows plenty of room for the ping pong table to be set up permanently (or not), and then the rest of the space be open "flex" type space. I'm hoping to relocate some of the kids toys down here so we can have an area to play games or build legos or something that isn't in our main living space upstairs.

This plan also addresses the fact that we haven't had our computer set up in the house for years, and it's annoying working off laptops for some tasks. That was my mini project and "treat" for selling the pool table.

Here was my initial plan. One of those 6' workbench things you can get at your big box store of choice, and a big rear end cabinet next to it for random storage. As it turns out, that's pretty much exactly what I did.

$500 and 300lbs of "office furniture". This is the first time I got to use my moving dolly things I bought at harbor freight long ago.

I assembled the stuff and added grommets to the back of the cabinet. It's probably a really stupid idea, but I'm stashing my computer in the cabinet.

Here's the last picture I took, you get the gist. I rearranged some things in the cabinet and tidied up the wires, but it looks pretty much the same.

Now it's time to shop for a new monitor/monitors.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Mighty fine oven you built for your PC. You should probably grab a 120mm hole saw and cut two fan ports (in and out) to keep some airflow in there.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

JEEVES420 posted:

Mighty fine oven you built for your PC. You should probably grab a 120mm hole saw and cut two fan ports (in and out) to keep some airflow in there.

That's kind of the plan, there are some 120mm 110v fans on amazon that will make things pretty easy.

For the time being I'm just leaving the doors open.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

(I challenge you to find an item worse to sell in terms of dealing with flaky people) it was sold.

An RV. gently caress all of these people.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I stand corrected, that would be way worse to sell.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Or a time-share.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Or a time-share.

In most cases I don't feel bad for people for falling for timeshares so I fall mostly into the "you get what you signed up for" camp.

Over the weekend I moved the couch and the TV to the other side of the basement per my plans.

It's growing on me. I ran 3 network cables in the wall. The plan was to utilize an HDMI extender over ethernet (like the one I use in our living room), so I could keep my PS4 in the storage room on the server rack, but it wasn't meant to be. Both the cables that I made work, but I think the HDMI extenders are bad. Instead of potentially wasting more money on more extenders that may not work (maybe the HDMI signal from the PS4 doesn't like the extenders or something) I gave in and moved the PS4 temporarily out to the TV as range for the controller may have been yet another issue anyway. Eventually I'll get some sort of component/tv stand or something to stash stuff away in, which was kind of the tentative plan anyway.

In other news, I dismantled part of my dryer last night to do a thorough cleaning on the lint that has gotten past the lint screen. It was piling up, so the lint trap would stick out a little bit and the tumbling clothes would eventually catch on the edge and twist and ball up, ruining some garments. Wife is happy, so I'll take that as a victory.

Unfortunately, I also had to snake part of our plumbing last night. Grey water with decaying greasy food chunks is unbelievably loving foul.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

dreesemonkey posted:

The plan was to utilize an HDMI extender over ethernet (like the one I use in our living room), so I could keep my PS4 in the storage room on the server rack, but it wasn't meant to be. Both the cables that I made work, but I think the HDMI extenders are bad. Instead of potentially wasting more money on more extenders that may not work (maybe the HDMI signal from the PS4 doesn't like the extenders or something)
There are a bunch of HDMI over ethernet extenders out there. I have settled on using the TrippLite's. (https://smile.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Extender-Transmitter-P167-000/dp/B001CJ9392) They are expensive, but having the punch down block means not having to worry you got your end crimp right. Have installed many of these over the years and they continue to work. Just an FYI if you still have the cable in the wall and want to try again/spend more money! :)

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
We've found that HDMI extenders are just flaky as poo poo, we treat them as disposable parts now at work. Doesn't seem to matter the brand or cost (at least in the sub $500 range). One thing to check is some of them, for whatever reason, won't recognize the EDID from some devices but work fine elsewhere. You might want order a couple different ones, find one that works, and return the rest.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
In the (relatively) short term there are going to be changes to the setup, for all I know it could be my ancient TV not liking the signal. I'm planning on getting a 4k TV in the next year in preparation for the PS5 when it comes out holiday 2020.

Gunjin posted:

We've found that HDMI extenders are just flaky as poo poo, we treat them as disposable parts now at work. Doesn't seem to matter the brand or cost (at least in the sub $500 range). One thing to check is some of them, for whatever reason, won't recognize the EDID from some devices but work fine elsewhere. You might want order a couple different ones, find one that works, and return the rest.

Funny you mention that, I was looking at the one hycocam recommended and the top amazon review said "works great, but doesn't seem to work with my ps4 for some reason".

I remember when I first wall-mounted our TV upstairs and had our components in the basement. There was a 50' HDMI cable in a closet upstairs for our blu ray player and it wouldn't work for the blu ray player, but it would work for the xbox 360 with nothing else changed. It seems that some devices output a slightly stronger signal.

That reminds me, I think ended up getting more HDMI extenders for that closet, I could always swap those out to test. Hmmmmm....

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Gunjin posted:

Always pair it with an EDID cloner or make sure it has the function built in if you are relying on it. If you are using more than 1 display then an EDID cloner is pretty much required for windows devices.

HDMI extenders are definitive "you get what you pay for" and the type of cabling you use also plays a huge factor. Shielded vs non, CAT6 vs 5/e, twisted, etc. Not to mention the suggested range is a best case scenario.

What brand do you have? Are you powering both the receiver and transmitter?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jealous Cow posted:

A co-worker of mine just got a Tundra and seems to like it. Personally, I can't abide with this king cab-short bed trend. What the gently caress is the point of a truck with a 4 foot bed? Give me two loving doors and an 8 foot bed god drat it. If I ever get a truck I'll probably end up buying an ex-fleet F250 or something.

You're not allowed to let your children ride unsecured in the bed of a pickup anymore so you either get a crew cab and have reduced bed functionality or you get a regular cab and have near 0 people moving ability.

You can still get a new F-150 with a regular cab and 8' bed.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Happy holidays to those pitiful souls still checking this thread for meaningful updates.

Despite having a fairly lovely holiday (extended family tragedy - gently caress you fentanyl-laced street drugs) and a violently ill kiddo, we're kind of back to normal.

My one goal for the break was to add some shelving that made more sense in our garage. Fast forward to yesterday, my last day of break. I knew it was time to ignore all my other responsibilites and make a drat mess in the garage. For years I've had these cabinets installed above my workbench area and I never properly utilized the space because they were so tall and not very deep.

So the plan was to remove them, and then building a stretch of shelving along the top of that wall. While they are even higher yet, the purpose is to keep things up there that we don't access that frequently. Some things from our basement storage room will likely make their way up here so I can have more room down there for things that are accessed more often.

Here's how they turned out. If you're concerned with the support (or seeming lack-there-of), I think it will be fine. I hung on it without so much as a creak or budge. Plus i'm not looking to store anything too heavy up there since I'll be the one putting stuff up and getting it down.

At the moment I've only made more of a mess, but eventually this should be a net-positive, and really just the beginning of the next version of shelving in the garage (they will eventually extend to the left in the above picture).

For christmas, my daughter was given the dollhouse that my dad made for my oldest sister, it's probably around 35 years old and in excellent shape. It had been with my sister's friends and they took great care of it. The problem, of course, is that we only have so much space (especially since we bought my daughter a big kitchen set for christmas). After some staring at the problem I came up with a quick and easy solution.

I roughly built a bookcase-type cabinet out of primed 1x8s. I recently got a new cordless nailer and this was my chance to finally play with it! It's my new favorite tool. I chose 1x8s so it would have enough depth to comfortably handle the shoe-size bins we use for my kids legos/small toys. Might as well have a reason to add a little extra storage.

Here's how it turned out. I was just mocking this up at this point, but I'll stamp it with my "good enough". It's not immediately obvious but I cut some hardboard to go under the dollhouse (it had no floor) and cover the top of the extension cabinet. It's secured to the wall so really the only thing I'd do yet is paint it, but it looks good enough.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's a real neat solution for the dolls house. Wish I had similar headroom in my garage too.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

cakesmith handyman posted:

That's a real neat solution for the dolls house. Wish I had similar headroom in my garage too.

Thanks. If our garage ceiling was any lower I don't know that I'd do it. There is about ~21" or so of room for stuff before it would hit the rafters, I wanted at least 20" so it was pretty close, you can see it is just over the top of the door and windows. I also ideally wanted to use 2x3s for the frame, but it was going to be really annoying finding enough straight ones at lowes so I just got the "prime" 2x4s instead. I briefly considered ripping the 2x4s in half but I didn't think 2x2 would be enough without more vertical supports.

I feel it's still a good solution for the perimeter of the garage, if it was in the middle of the garage it would look weird, I think. It also probably helps that I'm short so I don't find it too cramped or anything.

For the dollhouse, looking at the picture I now regret not using more of the hardboard (since I bought an entire 4x8 sheet) to attach to the back of the shelf so I didn't have to see the hated wall paneling behind it. But now if I do it everything will be ~1/8" off. I forsee living with the problem.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
We had an unseasonably warm weekend and I spent some time working on the deck railing. Yes, I'm so lazy and behind I never did the deck railing.

I made a jig that let me evenly locate and space the ballister mounting things. Having a drill press would have been incredibly handy here as the holes that I drilled are FAR from perfect. Thankfully it seems to work out ok (you can see the small jig, I also have a larger one underneath that)

I've actually been working on this for a while. I did the first two small sections months ago, and then did the next three sections yesterday/last weekend.

Since I had some leftover 2x6s to put on the top of the rails. I didn't even consider attempting a corner miter, it wouldn't match up and it would look dumb so I just ran it one way and butted the perpendicular section against it.

The rest of the railing that I put up. I went with this style because I wanted to be able to set drinks on top of it easily.

There are several things that still need sorted, in some sort of vague order:

- Retrofit another 4x4, finish final ~4' section of railing
- I'd like to run conduit/power
- Start framing the second set of steps
- Finish the fascia boards
- Deck skirting

But I'm just happy to make some minor progress

Speaking of slow progress, months ago my son was hanging on a wall mounted coat hanger that was held in with drywall anchors. That didn't work out so well.

I know how to fix and finish drywall, I just had no motivation since it's not a quick fix. A few weeks ago I saw a youtube video of how to easily create patches for drywall using a holesaw so I decided to give that a shot. It worked great!

Here's the first skim coat. I didn't take any other pictures but yesterday I did the final skim coat. I'm ready to get this checked off the list.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Nice wall nipples

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Here's better angle of the railing. You can see the section off to the left that needs completed after I add another 4x4 (by the house), the center span will be a second set of steps down to the yard.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
That is a nice looking deck! I would gladly set beers on that railing.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Since I rearranged the basement I haven't been able to use my racing sim rig because the TV and computer have moved and are no longer near one another. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago on a whim I bought a new TV for the basement. Playing split screen minecraft with my son on a 46" TV just will not do in TYOOL 2020.

So now I have the extra 46" TV. I ordered a set of VESA leg mounts and gave it a test. I am aware these are installed backward, they weren't going to be even close to remotely fit installed correctly.

Technically it would have worked, but I thought it was a bit too high and too close. So I decided to work on a place to mount it further back and lower.

Test fit, much better

Added some plywood. I must not have taken any pictures, but I drilled through the feet in the front and back and bolted it down to the plywood. So at this point it's a done deal.

Next up, as JEEVES420 recommended a long time ago, I added some active ventilation to the storage cabinet that I'm keeping my computer and other things in. I've been keeping the door open since October, so it was time to do something.

Unfortunately, I mangled the hole on the more visible side. Also broke the arbor bit of the stupid hole saw kit that I bought.

And then the side that no one will ever see turned out just fine, luckily I had another arbor.

The racing sim in it's place and the mangled cabinet vent

Got everything hooked back up to the PC, it's a pretty good experience. It's nice to have it be useable again and tucked out of the way.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I dunno how balls deep you get into racing sims but if you play the "real" ones like iRacing and whatever, you want the screen as close as possible for maximum FOV. I do not mean this to sound as elitist as it may come off, purely informational and Forza is cool and fun. I don't even play sims anymore but just some stuff I learned when I started nerding on it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Suburban Dad posted:

I dunno how balls deep you get into racing sims but if you play the "real" ones like iRacing and whatever, you want the screen as close as possible for maximum FOV. I do not mean this to sound as elitist as it may come off, purely informational and Forza is cool and fun. I don't even play sims anymore but just some stuff I learned when I started nerding on it.

No offense taken. I'm only into it very casually. I'm pretty happy with the field of view as it is, just playing 20 minutes of it I was still thinking it was too close. But I probably just have to get used to it.

I don't do iRacing or anything like that, Forza is usually my goto as I feel it's good enough in terms of "realism", and offers plenty of cars to choose from. I have project cars 1/2 as well, which I liked, but they were severely lacking in non-race cars. I've considered other psuedo-sims as well, but they tend to suffer from the same problem, not enough variety of normal cars to play with.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Well 2020 has been interesting. I'm not sure that I'm going to actually keep this thread up to date, but I'll think about it. A couple of home/life related things to bring us up to date:

1. Wife and I have been 90% working from home since March.
2. We decided to put in a (cheap box store) pool early enough when you could still get one. I think I ordered one in mid-april. Despite being a bunch of work and way more money than the purchase price of the pool, it turned out to be a great decision in terms of the hot / dry summer we had and being stuck at home all the time. I'll maybe post about this at some point as I'm sure I have a fair amount of pictures.
3. In August we got covid. We're still unsure how we got it as we'd been moderately careful. Our best guess is my wife got it at the doctor's office when she went in for a physical. Either way, we're thankfully all fine.
4. An opportunity presented itself for me to change jobs. It's a big change, but with everything else that has been going on it seems like a perfect time for a leap. Starting in January, I'll be 100% remote, have excellent flexibility (make my own hours) and have moderately increased compensation. There are some potential/theoretical downsides, but on the whole it was a no-brainer. My wife, who was never a fan of the prospect of me leaving my current job, completely supported the change. It really should be a no-downside move for our family.

Enjoy some random pictures in the meantime

The finest pool $500 can buy

Good time to throw a bunch of poo poo away

"If I die I'm going to be pissed if I never got a nice four wheeler"

DA SQUAD

Finally added steps to the other side of the deck

Pool (also the swingset I built for my kids)

Started playing disc golf this year. Lot's of fun

Finally started finishing some of the basement drywall like 25 years later

Turned out pretty good, all things considered

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Is there anything Bestway don’t make? I have an inflatable mattress of theirs, not bad for a temporary bed.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

wooger posted:

Is there anything Bestway don’t make? I have an inflatable mattress of theirs, not bad for a temporary bed.

They must be like Intex, which is what I'm more familiar with in terms of these types of pools.

Speaking of pools, I have my weekly office coverage day and I don't feel like doing anything, so here is the pool project.

Here is the back yard with some extra trees in there.

Presto changeo.

- Tree people earn their money. The main dude climbed all these trees. It was $1600 to take these 4 trees down and 1 extra dead one in the side yard.
- A couple of my neighbors are crazy "wood hounds". We had these cleaned up less than 24 hours after they were on the ground.

Next up, we had our neighbor-excavators dig out two of the stumps. I would have liked to do all 4, but the other two were close to where the water line comes in from our well.

I'll spare you the play by play, but let's just say followup wasn't great from our neighbor-excavators. Not much followthrough, I had to keep calling them, and things would have gone better had they listened. But I kind of gave up on them

The next issue was actually getting water. Our well will not even come remotely close to outputting the amount of water to fill this thing. Of course, by the time we got the pool up the local water haulers were over a week out to deliver water. So we waited. And played in 2" of water.

Finally we got water delivered

I buried some conduit to put some power next to the pump

We worked the kinks out and it was pretty rad

You can't have a pool without some tunes, I ran power around the deck area and installed some outdoor speakers. Not pictured, but I eventually replaced the stereo receiver with a cheap 4ch marine amp. I have a chromecast audio hooked up to it so I don't have to have my phone within bluetooth range of the receiver. It gets loud enough before it starts distorting so I'm happy.

Eventually we got a new, less lovely ladder and I put stone around the pool

Aside from the cost, we went with this style of pool to make sure we liked having a pool and got use out of it. I didn't want to drop $10k to put in a more traditional above ground pool and then decide we don't like it (and I don't have $50k to put an in-ground pool in). Honestly it was the best summer ever for it. We were in it almost every day, and we were the place to be for our small bubble of people. And there was lot's of drinking. It's no wonder I've gained a bunch of weight over "lockdown".

Cheers!

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

I didn't know wheelbarrows are summoned via magic rune circles!

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
That's just the Koblat wheelbarrows, the Huskys require non-euclidean shenanigans.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
An embarassingly-long time ago I mentioned I wanted to enclose the stairs to our basement. I had even bought the lumber pre-lockdown. I've finally started working on it.

Here is the before general mess of my garage

I had to take these shelves down to get them out of the way. The longer shelf I then put back up at the level as the ones on the right. The plan is to keep that up, but I will have to trim it some.

I came up with a good place to stash my cornhole boards out of the way

Here is the area in question

The plan all along was to build the wall in sections since I tend to do all the work myself, this is the first section which will lead up to the door opening. Before I started the wall, I used a laser level to find a good height I felt comfortable with, it had to be enough to clear the doorway, but I didn't want it up all the way to the ceiling rafters either. I ended up with something that looked fine to me and the wall ended up being exactly 100". Would have been lovely if I was using 8' lumber, but I planned ahead and got 10' material.

This is what it takes to get the wall square to framing to the house/garage. I'm not sure what happened but I always thought the stairwell was a bit skewed.

I put some temporary supports up so I could rest sections of the ceiling framing on there before I get everything screwed down

I built and insulated the ceiling framing on the ground. Not sure if it was a great idea or necessary, but limited high-up work in the stairwell is good for my safety anyway.

I added some wiring rough-ins and insulation. The goal here was to be able to get the wall acting like a wall so my kids couldn't accidentally fall through the framing or something.

I got a piece of drywall up because I have recessed LED fixtures to put in here and I wanted to get one working, which I eventually did

I also hung a sheet of drywall up on the outside to make it a bit safer.

Next steps are to continue framing the wall and sections of the ceiling and then insulating and drywalling as I feel like it.

There should be a good amount of useful storage added so this should keep me busy the rest of the year building and organizing.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Never change that upside-down door. I love it.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

peanut posted:

Never change that upside-down door. I love it.

It'd be a little hard for the dog to get through if it was hung the other way.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I actually didn't know what you were talking about there for a while, haha. Don't worry, there is no fixing it.

I built some more section of the wall/ceiling last night. After loving up "which piece did I cut for the top plate herp derp let's attach some studs to this wrong board" 2 loving times, I got it sorted out.

Looks like the shelf is going to need some minor trimming, which was expected.

Next major steps coming up are:
- Get the new section /corner of wall squareish and anchored to the concrete, which will allow me to:
- Make measurements and build the section of tying to the garage wall
- Relocate some electrical (that outlet high up that feeds 3 other things) so I can:
- Build the last section of ceiling and install the last light.
- Rough in some other outlets.

After that I can work on some more mundane stuff getting insulation up where needed, drywall hung, etc. It will be a while before I hang the new door and try and finish up the project, I just want to get some of the big stuff done.

Ideally I'd like to finish a lot of this drywall since it's detached from living space and I don't have to worry about making a mess, but the weather/temperature is probably not going to allow that. Which sucks, because what are the chances I'm going to take poo poo off the wall and finish it next year when it's not so cold? That's what I get for dragging my feet.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Can I ask why you're insulating the ceiling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Can I ask why you're insulating the ceiling?

The garage is unconditioned space, and for this new enclosed stairwell, I want it at least closer to being conditioned space.

I could see a point where I remove the "upside down" door and/or the basement door at the bottom of the steps and just have it open. It's unlikely we'll have any formal HVAC run to that area, though.

You didn't ask, but over top of the insulation in the ceiling I'm going to put plywood so I can store occasional-use things above there if needed.