Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

JEEVES420 posted:

always measure from the top of a door. Top of door to top of hinges and top of door to bottom. Same goes for the frame. In this case measure each side of the frame from top to bottom and then then the door. Measure a half inch from which ever side is shorter than the other and cut square there.

I used to make doors

Cut it square to the door frame or cut the door square?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
door square, its ok to have a bit more gap at one side.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

JEEVES420 posted:

door square, its ok to have a bit more gap at one side.

Ok thanks, I cut it last night and all is well again in the world. Since I had it off I was going to start prime/paint but I forgot I broke my 3" trim roller a few weeks ago so I have a bunch of brushes but no roller for them to fit on. I may have to make a run to lowes tonight to get started.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
No pictures, but I took the bedroom door down (hopefully for the last time) and primed one side of it. Since I'd literally be waiting for paint to dry, I decided to finish the trim in the closet instead.

When I bought the lumber for the door jamb I was a moron and forgot that dimensional lumber is a lying sneaky bastard so I was 1/2" short on my closet jambs. So last night I cut jamb extensions, installed them, and finished the trim around the opening and coped the last two pieces of baseboard.

To do yet:
- Prime / paint door - Will finish priming tonight
- Paint the jamb extensions for the doors
- Wall touch up
- Caulk trim
- Closet organizer (yet to be determined, still)

Went to the local billiards place to talk to the owner about my table, he said I don't need to glue the broken slate. As long as I can get it supported and level it will be fine when I drywall compound the seams.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Been a while since I updated, slow progress.

- Prime / paint door
- Paint the jamb extensions for the doors
- Wall touch up
- Caulk trim
- Paint closet
- Closet organizer

The closet organizer is coming tonight so I'm hoping to install that and then I can officially declare this room done. After it's done I'll take some good pictures, though honestly it doesn't look much different than already posted here. After we get our poo poo moved out of our bedroom, I can get started on that next. Ummm yay?

The pool table project is coming along slowly as well, the leveling is done and the joint compound is almost finished. I ordered a bunch of stuff for it (new felt, bumpers, pockets, a light, etc) so I need to spend some time working on all that stuff. I'm hoping by xmas break I can have all that wrapped up so I can enjoy it over my break.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
:siren: Project complete! :siren:

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
That's a really lovely looking wee room, well done!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Looks great, love the color.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
catte :3:

Looking good! A very cozy wee room.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

That paint looks great with the floor and the white doors and trim. The blanket is perfect for that room.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I like that the catte is included for scale.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Why did you use clone tool on that wall with outlets?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

iv46vi posted:

Why did you use clone tool on that wall with outlets?

I don't think this is a serious question but the left side outlets are HDMI so someday I could wall-mount a TV and not have wires running up the wall. It's a bit all-show no go right now because there is no cable in the wall running between the outlets.

For the catte lovers, here's a blurry closeup

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Wheels are moving!

1. We've moved out of our "master" into the spare room and getting ready to rip into that. Right now my motivation level is pretty high because holy poo poo is the spare bedroom tiny. We have our king size bed in it since we can't put it anywhere else, and there is JUST enough room on the one side to have a night stand. My side of the bed is completely against the wall. The middle of the bed is my kindle/cellphone storage, and I have my personal fan right beside my head jammed in the corner.

2. We're donating my wife's old dresser so we can buy a new one when our room is done. Currently we're using my dresser and it's tight but kind of nice putting away clothes that I don't need, good practice because we're planning on one big dresser for the two of us. I need to load the old one up tonight because tomorrow a client at work is going to take it.

3. I bought a chainsaw this week. I've wanted one for a while just for random stuff that falls or to fell a small tree or two. The guy at the stihl dealer talked me out of getting a mid-range saw since it would be a lot of money to use very infrequently. Instead I got a small homeowner saw (Stihl MS170), perfect for trimming and and small poo poo that falls.

4. I put my TV from our master downstairs in the basement so I could treadmill and play GTA V

5. Pool table project has not really moved along at all since I'm lazy and this other stuff has come up. I still need to get working on it though because I think I have everything I need for it. I did hang up the light and did some more minor organizing the basement. Our ping pong table is actually cleaned off for the first time in over a year, most likely.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hello thread, I've started on our master bedroom and have most of the demolition now done. Fed up with lovely camera phone pictures, I've taken some lovely pictures with our digital camera instead.

Master bedroom before - Approximately 12'x11'4". Lookitthat wallpaper paneling. LQQK!

Entrance from hallway, wall where our dresser will go and tv will be mounted (left corner)

Closet on the left, tiny (4x5) half bath on the right

More half bath (lovely decor). Why yes, that's carpeting in there :barf:

Closet

Ernie (currently has a bad UTI, living in our basement since he's been peeing on all our belongings)

During

Carpet removed, the left window is where our bed usually goes

Trim removed

No mo' bathroom (lanoleum underneath the carpet, so someone decided to cover it up with carpet)

Paneling removed

Another angle

Insulation gone

Nice doing a larger room for a change, room to get stuff out of the way

I didn't take any other pictures but last night I demo'd the ceiling, created a colossal mess, and got the truck stuck in the yard. The truck is packed to the gills right now full of demolition debris, I need to take it to the dump here in a few minutes.

Next immediate steps are to install the 4 recessed lighting fixtures for the room, and start on the electrical wiring so I can at least have some light in there that isn't from my worklight.

Not doing anything too crazy, installing more outlets pretty much. Got an articulating mount for our TV so that's going up in the corner, so I'll need an outlet and low voltage box up there for futurey type stuff. I debated putting a wall-safe (strong box more like it) in our closet, but I'm trying to save money and I honestly don't have anything to put in it anyway (gun, passport, etc). It was only $40, but I'm just trying to keep the scope creep in check.

After the wiring is done (and some of it cleaned up/removed), I'll put up the some insulation and get ready for drywall. I don't expect to be at that point for some weeks to come though, I'm not in any particular enormous hurry.

The bathroom is going to be the biggest concern of mine, especially since I haven't done any of that stuff before. My sister's boyfriend is going to come up to help me sometime redo some of the plumbing (so the supply lines come through the wall instead of the floor), and hopefully back again to help me install the radiant floor heating and tile. Other than that I'm comfortable with whatever I need to do.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

The bathroom is going to be the biggest concern of mine, especially since I haven't done any of that stuff before. My sister's boyfriend is going to come up to help me sometime redo some of the plumbing (so the supply lines come through the wall instead of the floor), and hopefully back again to help me install the radiant floor heating and tile. Other than that I'm comfortable with whatever I need to do.
I might have missed it, but are you keeping it a half bath? A master isn't a master without at least a 3/4 bath IMO. I realize you are space constrained and this might really up your remodel, but have you considered one of those toilets with a sink on top of the tank in order to make room for a shower stall? I would even rob space from my closet to add a master shower (it's really nice to be able to get straight in the shower from the bed without worrying about your kids seeing you naked). If you aren't paying for any labor, I would guess that you would at least break even if you ever sold.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

adorai posted:

I might have missed it, but are you keeping it a half bath? A master isn't a master without at least a 3/4 bath IMO. I realize you are space constrained and this might really up your remodel, but have you considered one of those toilets with a sink on top of the tank in order to make room for a shower stall? I would even rob space from my closet to add a master shower (it's really nice to be able to get straight in the shower from the bed without worrying about your kids seeing you naked). If you aren't paying for any labor, I would guess that you would at least break even if you ever sold.

Yea I use the term "master" very loosely here. I would absolutely love to jam a shower stall in there somewhere, I just don't think we have the space. But I agree with you, I'd rather have an extra shower in the house (especially so we could redo the main bath and still be able to bathe) than a bigger closet.

Playing around with sketchup this is what I came up with. It makes the assumption that it's 4' depth, which I'm not positive of. The shower unit is 48"x34", I left 30" padding width for the toilet, and the vanity is a tiny 20"x17" unit. All that leaves 4' of closet space on the other side. It would have to be a pocket door, obviously. It's super super tight.

I have a good friend who is a plumber (though he lives pretty far away) who's services I might be able to retain. I'll have to talk some some of my other handy friends to see what they think, if it's reasonable or not. I wouldn't mind spending the extra money now to be able to do it, but if the space isn't there, it isn't there :(

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
The way you have the toilet in there currently won't meet code. Your best bet is probably to slightly move the doorway and use a corner sink.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Tim Thomas posted:

The way you have the toilet in there currently won't meet code. Your best bet is probably to slightly move the doorway and use a corner sink.

Thanks for the heads up on corner sinks, I had the same idea and have been madly scrambling looking at those. They would be a huge help, I can have a small one at the upper right part of the bathroom and slide the doorway as far left as I could. I'll have to re-adjust my sketchup to see what it would look like.

In what way doesn't the toilet meet code? The drain centerline is 15" from the shower pan, and with a corner sink that's less than 20" out from the corner there would be enough clearance on that side as well. I think there needs to be about 21" in front of it for code? If this doesn't meet code then our old one wouldn't have either.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Sorry, the way I phrased that was pretty bullshit. The toilet placement meets code, but way you have the toilet in there won't meet code because it blocks 21" of clearance in front of the sink.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Tim Thomas posted:

Sorry, the way I phrased that was pretty bullshit. The toilet placement meets code, but way you have the toilet in there won't meet code because it blocks 21" of clearance in front of the sink.

Yea I kind of figured. What's the worst case scenario for not meeting code? The township gets wind of it and makes us rip it out? We try and sell the house and the buyer balks? We're not planning on selling the house for a very, very long time so as long as no one came along forcing us to change it, I probably wouldn't give a poo poo.

Here's a mockup with a corner sink. The toilet placement isn't exact, I just found a toilet model in the warehouse.

Theoretically, if I was that worried about code, there is JUST enough room (to the inch) for the 34" shower, 30" to meet code for the toilet, and then 20" for the smallest vanity that I can find at lowes that isn't a corner sink. That would keep us code happy in front of the sink, too. Hmmm.

Here's another possibility, a bathroom/closet combo type thing. One door to go in there. Would solve the code violations at least, don't know how I feel about clothes so close to the bath area, though.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
At least doing it as the combo gives you more wall space instead of having another door there.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

excidium posted:

At least doing it as the combo gives you more wall space instead of having another door there.

It would, but with the bedroom door opening into that wall there isn't much we can do with it anyway. It wouldn't be large enough for a dresser, maybe a skinny hanging mirror.

First thing's first, I need to measure to see what we have to start with. From there I'm going to need to talk to some smart people to see how doable it is. Would I have to move my vent stack or can I keep that? What happens if the drains I want to add would come out where the floor joists are underneath? Questions like that. After that I'd probably approach my plumber friend first to see if he and his brother would be interested in doing some under the table work, if not I might just get some quotes from pros so they can tell me how expensive it would be.

I showed my wife both scenarios and I think we're leaning towards the separate closet and bathroom, except with a 20" vanity instead of a corner sink to keep within code.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

dreesemonkey posted:

It would, but with the bedroom door opening into that wall there isn't much we can do with it anyway. It wouldn't be large enough for a dresser, maybe a skinny hanging mirror.

First thing's first, I need to measure to see what we have to start with. From there I'm going to need to talk to some smart people to see how doable it is. Would I have to move my vent stack or can I keep that? What happens if the drains I want to add would come out where the floor joists are underneath? Questions like that. After that I'd probably approach my plumber friend first to see if he and his brother would be interested in doing some under the table work, if not I might just get some quotes from pros so they can tell me how expensive it would be.

I showed my wife both scenarios and I think we're leaning towards the separate closet and bathroom, except with a 20" vanity instead of a corner sink to keep within code.

I meant wall space inside the bathroom/closet. With the combo you have room for the bathroom to have a good sized towel rack on the wall next to the shower and could put the full length mirror inside the closet side. The one thing I hate about our house is how small the master bath is and any chance to expand the overall feel of it - even if it meant integrating a closet - would be welcome. I would think there would be ways you could deal with the moisture being so close to the clothing with additional venting/DampRid type of solution.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

excidium posted:

I would think there would be ways you could deal with the moisture being so close to the clothing with additional venting/DampRid type of solution.

Damp Rid is made to be put into areas that are more or less full of stable air. Like a closet that doesn't get opened much. Using it otherwise will cost a fortune and require changing on a near daily basis.

"Additional" venting shouldn't be required, as any amount of moisture that would cause problems with the clothes is going to ruin the bathroom anyway. Proper ventilation when properly used should work fine. The biggiest problem I see with ventilation in bathrooms is that people don't use it or don't leave it on after they take a shower. The simple solution is to put in a switch that turns on the lights/ventilation and keeps the ventilation on for 15 minutes after it is shut off.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

The simple solution is to put in a switch that turns on the lights/ventilation and keeps the ventilation on for 15 minutes after it is shut off.
We have a timed switch for our vent and it's phenomenal.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yes the tentative plan was to put a shower light and fan on a timer so they would always run together. The other light would be a thee bulb vanity light, would be plenty for that bathroom and appease the wife.

Did some quick measurements and everything looks good on that part, need some guidance from some pros before anything else happens.

I appreciate the feedback!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Made some more progress this weekend, I got most of the electrical squared away. The whole room is basically rewired aside from the closet/bathroom question mark.

Was super pumped to flip the breaker this afternoon and have great light in the room (and having everything else work is a plus too) for a change.

Tonight I painstakingly removed nails and trimmed the drywall remnants from the ceiling corners and then did a good sweep up. It's nice having a fair amount of room to work, makes cleaning way easier.

West wall

North wall (the outlet on the bottom left must have been added after the fact, it's annoyingly on a completely separate, important circuit so I haven't removed it yet)

South wall, where our bed goes.

Next I'm going to start on the insulation, probably won't get much done this week since I'll be traveling for work.

I'm staying with my sister and her boyfriend so I'm going to pick his brain about my bathroom problem since he flips houses and knows all things handy.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 9, 2013

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Man, 4 plug walls, I wish every plug in a house was like that tbh. Just become muslim to solve the bathroom size issue and put a squat shitter.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Christobevii3 posted:

Man, 4 plug walls, I wish every plug in a house was like that tbh. Just become muslim to solve the bathroom size issue and put a squat shitter.

Yea I seem to use a lot of receptacles on my night stand so it was a no brainer, I did both (opposite) walls in case we ever wanted to move our bed to the other wall again, though it's doubtful.

You are not the first person to recommend a squat shitter

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

dreesemonkey posted:

Would I have to move my vent stack or can I keep that? What happens if the drains I want to add would come out where the floor joists are underneath? Questions like that. After that I'd probably approach my plumber friend first to see if he and his brother would be interested in doing some under the table work, if not I might just get some quotes from pros so they can tell me how expensive it would be.

Are you actually moving the bathroom into the closet space, or is your sketch a mirror image? Would it be easier to leave the current stack and sink connections and just move the dividing wall between the closet/bath over to accommodate a shower? If you don't think having two doorways in a corner would be an inconvenience, you could move the closet opening over perpendicular to your bedroom door and reclaim a little bit of usable wall space.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

whalesteak posted:

Are you actually moving the bathroom into the closet space, or is your sketch a mirror image? Would it be easier to leave the current stack and sink connections and just move the dividing wall between the closet/bath over to accommodate a shower? If you don't think having two doorways in a corner would be an inconvenience, you could move the closet opening over perpendicular to your bedroom door and reclaim a little bit of usable wall space.

Yes, the plan was to basically swap the bathroom and closet to avoid exactly what you said, having two doors in the same corner. Luckily, both the supply lines and drain come over from that way anyway, so more or less it would just be a shorter run of plumbing.

My sister's boyfriend was really helpful this week, I went to his current flip house and asked him 800 million questions from HVAC (seriously considering converting to a gas furnace in the future) to wiring and plumbing. Learned a lot in the ~2 hours I was there. He does really good work, to a fault. He's terrible at time management and can't "let things go" so when he sees something that bugs him, he has to re-do it. He's meticulous, and pretty much the guy you'd WANT to buy a house from since you know poo poo isn't going to be cobbled together.

Anyway, I gave him the dimensions I'm working with and he came up with the exact same plan I did, though he recommended a 30" shower and a slightly larger vanity. The way he described the vent stack problem was that I could leave the roof vent in the same location and in the attic run a sloped pipe over to the current vent location and that would be sufficient.

I plan on having another handy friend come over to give me his thoughts and then hopefully run it by our plumber friend who lives pretty far away to see if he and his brother would be interested in making some bucks on the side. Assuming neither of them have any major complaints, that's going to be our official plan.

This weekend we're supposed to be getting some snow so I should have some time to work on the room, all that I can really do is probably start insulating until I run out, but at least it's something.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Do it prison style?

http://sinkpositive.com/web/

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Happy new year, thread. I had a nice break from work, now it's back to the grind.

At the moment, there isn't much happening with our bedroom. We have, however, had the time to have some handy people at our house to look over what we where planning to at least determine if we were crazy with the bathroom plans. The good news is that everyone thought it was doable. The "bad" news is now we have to start hitting the point of no return. One of our friend's knows a plumber that we're looking to hire to do the re-plumbing, he said it would probably be at most a day's worth of work for him. So right now my general process is the following:

• Rip out existing interior walls
  • Buy pocket door, reframe the walls with 2x4s.
  • Buy shower, toilet, vanity to layout and see if we think it will work
  • Contact plumber guy to see if he's available and interested
  • Get the plumbing squared away
  • Run new circuit for the bathroom
  • All the other big projects (greenboarding, electic in floor heat, tiling, lighting, venting, etc)

So I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I really didn't work on the room at all over break aside from some minor insulating (about half of it is done) since the big decisions need to happen first. So instead I busied myself with some easier projects.

We did some rearranging in the living room post-christmas and I built a small desk to go in the corner so we could get our computer back upstairs. It's been great, I love it. Wish I would have done it a long time ago. I used all stuff I had laying around ("one bys" and a hollow core door) so that made it doubly fun since it was free. Turned out great for an hours worth of building and another hour of painting.

Yesterday I finally wrapped up the pool table. Knowing what I know now, I don't think I would have gotten it from my parents. It's a pretty crappy table despite being slate, I have about $400 into it so I'm not sure that I'd do it again now. But that just means that I could be a little more careless while putting it back together. It "ain't perfect" and it's missing some trim pieces, but who cares, I have a pool table in my house that I can play on! :smug:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
When the house is finished they never are you should take the slate and make your own pool table.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Blistex posted:

When the house is finished they never are you should take the slate and make your own pool table.

Haha yea, when the house is done I'll probably be 70 or something. I've put in some play time on the table and it's a blast, I love having one at home. If I were a better wood worker I would think about making my own table sometime, they're really not complex. In reality, since the slate is cracked already in one place and my woodworking skills are basically non-existant, I'd probably just buy a nice new table if I had the cash.

In other news, things have been slowly progressing at the house.

1. Two weeks ago I decided to tackle the coat closet project that I've been putting off, so I framed it in, hung all the drywall up, and got 1x5s for the door jambs. You may be under the impression that things go pretty smoothly for me having just enough experience in this stuff to get into trouble. Well, here is one of my screwups (that lead to triumph).

I bought a door for the coat closet, and since it's a coat closet, I got a hollow core. Don't get me wrong, I'm good at spending money, but $100 on a door for a coat closet? No thanks. So the finished opening was fairly tight and the 24" door would have to be trimmed down. Now, hollow core doors have some wood around the edges for this very purpose (as well as giving the hardware something to grab on to), so I thought it would be just fine. I cut about 1/2" off each side of the door to minimize the wood I took out and to keep it symetrical. The good news is the door fit, the bad news is the top hinge didn't have enough material left anymore to get a good bite, so when I hung the door it sagged like crazy, and even for a half-asser like myself, it was unacceptable.

So after pouting and inviting all hollow core doors to eat a fat turd, some of my facebook friends told me how to fix it. Just rip down a peice of lumber, glue it in place, and bob's your uncle. This weekend I did just that (ripped a 2x3 down to the proper height) and it worked great. I used some wood glue, clamped it, and shot some 1" brads in there to also hold it in place. After that I just had to chisel a new hinge into it (which I suck at, but it worked at least) and got the door hung.

Horrible blurry picture of the 2x3 cut down to size

Detail of how it had to fit around the wood in the door

I don't have any pictures of the finished product (as finished as a casing-less, bare-drywall wall can be anyway), I'll try and get some pictures if anyone cares. It classes up the joint instead of a gaping opening for the closet, at least.

2. We pulled the trigger and bought a shower stall and toilet. Since Lowes didn't have anything we liked, and I didn't want to pay >$800 for the one we did like that was a special order, I found one at home depot for super cheap ($400) in the size I was looking for, 34"x48". Unfortunately, home depot is an hour away from my house but I made it work. It was a sphincter-clenching drive home through torrential rain, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I barred myself from the highway so it took about an hour and a half.

So yesterday before the wife got home I got the base in the room to mock it up in place. We're approaching the point of no return here, and the shower stall looks positively huge but that's the way it goes I guess.

We got the name of the plumber from a friend, so we're going to call him and have him take a look at it soon. I think I'm going to be much happier once the plumbing is taken care of, or at least for him to laugh at us and say "no way buddy".

3. Since everything else was pretty much at a standstill, I went up into our attic to put the spare insulation I had up there. Much to my delight, I forgot I had a bunch of other left-overs from when I did my son's room years ago, so I unpacked all of that and put it down. I have most of it done over our master (current project) and the spare room (previous project), so I have another package of R19 to buy to jam up there and that will take care of the bedrooms. We're probably looking at around R40ish with R19 in the joist cavities, and R19 on top of the lovely collapsed r13(?) that was already up there. Should be pretty darn good for a small ranch, not that I have too many complaints right now about the insulation.

That brings us about up to date. The pocket door frame should be delivered tomorrow, so I'm going to need to buy some lumber to re-frame out the interior wall. The vanity we wanted, which was mercifully the small and cheap one, was out of stock so unfortunately we can't have all the bathroom stuff together to mock it up yet.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Yup thats how you cut a door down and re-edge it. The brads are not needed though as the glue is more than strong enough. Also if you have to cut down a flat pannel door always cut everything from the knob side of the door.

Solid core doors are are built the exact same as hollow core except that the inside is full of particle board. If you were to cut down a solid core like you did you would have to route out the particle board (without hitting the face pieces) enough to put the new edge trim in. Most doors have 1-2 inches of solid trim on top and sides with 6in in the bottom (so you can cut the door to proper length). You should be happy with hollow core :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

JEEVES420 posted:

Yup thats how you cut a door down and re-edge it. The brads are not needed though as the glue is more than strong enough. Also if you have to cut down a flat pannel door always cut everything from the knob side of the door.

Solid core doors are are built the exact same as hollow core except that the inside is full of particle board. If you were to cut down a solid core like you did you would have to route out the particle board (without hitting the face pieces) enough to put the new edge trim in. Most doors have 1-2 inches of solid trim on top and sides with 6in in the bottom (so you can cut the door to proper length). You should be happy with hollow core :)

I forgot I had my very own door whisperer. So you're saying hollow core is actually easier to work with? Luckily any of the places I'm going to put a solid core door are more standard size.

I used the brads more or less just to hold it in place while I was messing around with it. Of course I pushed part of the wood too far in so I had to put some screws in it and pull it back out flush. All sorts of fun learning processes

I took a couple pictures of the closet last night. I'm still unsure when I'll be able to tackle finishing this drywall. Probably once the weather warms up and I can construct some sort of plastic cleanroom to blow all of the dust out the front door or something.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Over the weekend, I planned the re-framing of the dividing wall in our bedroom for the closet/bathroom. Since we were going with a pocket door, it needed to be framed with 2x4s instead of the prior 2x3s.

I used sketchup for the design, it makes things super easy to plan it all out ahead of time and be able to change things on the fly. Last night I started erecting and this is as far as I got before I entered the "no loud noises" period when my son was in bed. I did the wall in two sections, the first is up and square/plumb and screwed in. The second (right side) was getting a test fit to make sure I could coax it into place before I got too far along, I have a bit more framing to add to it first. I'm hoping to finish up tonight. After the framing is done I can probably finally finish up the ceiling insulation to get the room mostly "air tight", which would be nice seeing it's in the single digits today.

You'll note that the opening on the left is really big, but that's just how you frame out a pocket door I guess. The instructions say it's twice the door width + 1", so in this case it's a 57" rough opening. I'll probably hang and level the pocket door track piece soon but I'll wait until the plumbing is done to do the rest of the supports.

Plumbing is still all up in the air, the guy who's name we got from a friend hasn't called us back. So we asked a friend who is coming up this weekend to look at it, thinking he might want a day or two side project since they have family in the area that they could stay with. Turns out he's pretty busy and he'd be making the long trip just for us, so I'd rather not him have to do that just as a favor to us. So I'm back to thinking about asking my sister's boyfriend for help. He said he was willing before, I just didn't want to take advantage of his offer. But he does have the experience and flexibility to help us out. So we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Finished up the framing on that wall and leveled the pocket door header. Still waiting on our vanity to get back in stock before I decide where the dividing wall between the closet and bathroom will go. Right now doing some shopping on amazon for a vent and timer.