Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Looking great. I just laid down ~600 sf of hardwood for the first time and besides the nailer, the most useful tool I had was loaned to me by my dad- a pull bar like this one..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
To square my room(s), I used the trammel point method to draw a straight line down the middle of the room and started there. I put down a sacrificial strip of 3/4" OSB about 8" wide and laid the first courses against that. I had to start in the middle instead of along a wall because I didn't have a long straight wall to work from. My layout ended up being off by 1/8" over something like 20 feet. If you're starting along a wall, you can use a 3-4-5 triangle to check square.

If you've read the manufacturer's instructions then you're ready to go. It goes a lot faster if you have help racking out the next few rows while you're nailing the current one. Don't cut your end piece until the rest of the row is nailed in. I got the most flooring laid when I had two other people helping- one person just drives nails, one is in charge of getting the next board in place and tight while the nailer does his thing and one person racks out the next rows and measures and cuts the last board in each row. You can do it all yourself but it takes much longer.

Also don't be tempted to tap boards in place without using a piece of scrap. I did that some and I can see the messed up edges where the hammer damaged them slightly.

And just go ahead and take some ibuprofen before you start working. By the end of each day, even sitting hurt my back.

Edit- other tools I used:
Nailset
Oscillating multitool for notches
Prybar near walls to snug up boards
Miter saw & table saw
Finish nailer for facenailing

Economic Sinkhole fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 9, 2013