Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Put in application for this v good doggo. Wish me luck.

https://www.adoptapet.com/pet/15351685-charlotte-north-carolina-shepherd-unknown-type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can't have her, I want her, she looks like she'd have a blast playing with Apollo

I may not get her. They sent me an email asking when i could do a phone interview for her today and i told them anytime this afternoon. Never got a call.

Edit: finally got an email from the lady at 8:30 saying she was on the line all day. These people are killing me i just want to have the very gud dogge to cuddle

Stravag fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 3, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So the lady got ahold of me yesterday and i had my phone interview. She kept stressing that if I'm allowed to adopt Kedah she cant be off the leash unless i have over a 6.5 foot fence because she will jump it, has a huge prey drive, and is able to climb very well. So any thought I had of letting her chill on my balcony are out and letting her run around off leash in a dog park. Does anyone use a long leash so they can still play with their pup and let them run around but still being under control? And what lengths do you use?

From the sounds of it though this very good girl loveslovesLOVES car rides so her hanging out in the car with me all day while im working is good to go. She also really likes hanging in her crate. Does anyone have a good soft car crate they would recommend? Im thinking of a roomy crate that is secured to the back seat and has a place to secure her harness to the seatbelt so she can have some movement but have the security of the belt and the ability to be in a crate for her happiness while we're cruising. I wouldnt normally double up like that for just driving around but its going to be for 7+ hours a day during the summer and people in nc and sc are barely better drivers than people the in DC.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

How in the gently caress is shooting a dog for no reason not a violation of any laws? loving christ arkansas get your poo poo together

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Apparently the ccp was a k9 handler. He got put on paid leave for a few days before getting fired.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

There was an emergency puppy twitter years ago. Dont know if it still exists because i left twitter like 6 years ago. It was just random puppy pics all day.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

For anyone who's adopted from the rescues like how I'm trying to get Kedah, is there a normal timeframe to hear back from them after you do your interview with the people? And do you get a definate no from them if they dont think its a good fit or do they just do the job application thing of never hearing from them again?

Edit: most of my experience of getting pets is walking into a shelter and saying "that kitten is adorable" and leaving with it 15 minutes later or having someone find some cats in a box and finding them homes at my parents jobs.

https://www.facebook.com/meawwcom/videos/277841259611660/
A very good dog

Stravag fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 8, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

This is relatively close to Charlotte and this dog had already had issues with people who were warned no small kids and aggressive dogs, no cats. The first home was a cop who had aggressive dogs and small kids. Next home was a lady who then bought a cat. I guess the dog had been at a boarding place for a while now? I feel bad for her and just want to get her here. I don't like people and live alone lol.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 9, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So majestic

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Such ears... does she put up with playing with them?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Thats exactly what I would be doing whenever possible

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://www.localdvm.com/news/several-recalls-issued-by-the-fda-for-dry-dog-food/1696450156

Grabbed from january events thread. Recalls issued on a bunch of dog foods. Be careful for your doggos.

Edit: recalls not warnings for vitamin d toxicity.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 11, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I get to do meet and greet with Kedah tomorrow. If it goes well i get to put in the request for doggo with my apt complex and hopefully get her this week.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Meet and greet went well. I got a nose lick and about 10 minutes before thry had to leave i got a full body lean. Now i just need her vaccination and breed documentation to apply with my apt complex to get her.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Kedah is home! She is a v good doggo. Riding the the car she laid her head on the armrest and snoozed and it was precious. Couldn't get a picture because i was driving. She was resisting getting into the crate so i led her in with a treat, gave her another when she was in, and put a bully stick in to convince her the crate isnt jail.

Edit: i am also giving head scratches to help convince her it isnt jail. Im her third adopter, any tricks people have to speed up her getting comfortable are welcome.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I think she was actually just worried she was being shipped somewhere. Let her out of it after 20 minutes or so and next time i waved at her crate and said crate she walked right in and curled up. I then did the come here if you want command and she stayed in. Ill have to take video of her command to post on her raised bed and wait until told to come off it at some point.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I hate double posting but I saw this and knew it would be forgiven

:3:

Trying to decide if i want to wake her up before i go to bed to let her pee. She drank like 4 bowls of water when she got here. (The bowl i got was small)

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Someone had figured out that she will have the poo poo pampered out of her.

Yes that is one of the pillows off my bed on the couch

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

How did she do on her first night at home with you?

Cuddled gave nose licks went into her crate about half the time i said crate finally peed at about 1am ish. Took her out this morning to try and get her to go but i guess she was still backed up from nerves. I went into the shower about a half hour after coming inside and in the 5 minutes i was in there she peed in one spot and pooped in another. It looked almost like she hadnt pooped in several days it was such a large pile. Then as im cleaning it shes giving me doggie cough gags from the smell like I did it. I would have been mad if it wasnt so drat cute. I figure were gonna have q couple accidents like that before shes back to normal because shes suppossed to be potty trained. When we were passing people in the halls she has a tendency to growl and lunge towards them once so we are gonna need more training for her for that.

Also i just walked to the petsmart across the street from me to get stain remover and came back. I'm greeted at the door by her. This confused me because i had left her in her travel crate with her favorite toys so far. Shes already busted through the side of it. Her hard crate cant come fast enough lol.

Edit:
I thought she would be ok in the travel crate because she was in it all last night when we went to bed no problem. I guess she was worried i wasnt going to come back

Stravag fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 25, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

We took our first 45 minute walk. Pretty sure that means its naptime.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So half the time when Kedah lays down she does the small dog sploots and its adorable. She certainly knows how to use all the room she can :3:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I need some good long lasting car snacks or toys for Kedah. She loves bully sticks but theyre gone within a half hour. Her kong bone only interests her when theres peanut butter in it. I got her a nylabone 2 pack but she will take them and hold them for about a minute before ignoring them without chewing. Her plush toys only hold her interest when shes being playful and zooming around the apt

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Weve been working for like 5 hours. She'll stand to brace or look around but then sit again. Mascot doggo is a go.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Big dog sploots

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So Kedah goes all in on kicking dirt and grass and snythinf else after she stops to squat. Doesnt matter if shes marking ot pooping dirt will fly!

All that dirt and debris is her doing. But after we had a good first! She stayed locked on my side exactly where a dog is suppossed to walk with no tension on the leash fot the last 3/4 lap around the apartment complex. Probably 1/8 mile or so. Shes been pulling less and less frequently or hard at the leash everytime we go out

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Were there invite codes for barkbox or whatever that got the person referring free poo poo or something?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

These boys are inseparable, I swear :3:

Trooper was jealous of me giving Hooper a belly rub (valid complaint, but I didn’t have enough hands to pet 3 dogs at once :( ) and dig under Hooper’s leg, to end up in this position as I was taking pics :)

You monster grow a third arm!

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I got Kedah this second crate specifically so when im doing classwork or whatever at my computer she could hang out and be comfy and still have a little den. She's been hanging out in there for hours now without being bribed with food or anything. I even gave her the free from past commands word and she just looked at me, walked out then went back in and went back to sleep. I'm so glad it worked out.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Kedah does the little paw twitches too and its just so :3:.

Tonight she was seeing ghosts on our last trip outside before bed and was snarling at something in the dark and then sprinting away from that direction to force me to take a step or two away to get my balance, looking over her shoulder at where she had growled at, and sorinted again. After she got me about 50 feet away she started just walking really fast and looking over her shoulder every 5 feet to make sure I was following her away. She seemed spooked enough that i let her lead for once and she brought me to the other side of the building from where we had been. I dont know what my sweetheart was protecting me from but she got extra scratches and kisses and treats after we got back in my apartment.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The "i see youre in the area of the kitchen where my snacks are no im not begging" pose.

The "you may have grabbed a snacks i would like a snacks" pose

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Like you can hide anything from those ears

Ill be damned if she isnt deaf as poo poo when she wants to be and excercise her intelligence and ignore what im telling her. Shes very smart and willful and stubborn when she wants to be.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Kedah doesnt beg for human food and im so happy cuz i do the all in one pc desk kitchen table etc. So as she demonstrated earlier when she put her front paws on my lap to cuddle while I was doing classwork she could be a major pain if she wanted.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

This thursday is 2 full weeks with Kedah. Because shes been such a good girl riding in the work car for 7+ hours a day even with bathroom and walk breaks she deserved something soecial. She got a pork thigh bone.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Its whatever thigh bone petsmart sells.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Also Stravag be careful with bones. They can splinter and cause intestinal problems and choking hazards. Consider getting no-hide chews (like rawhides but more digestible) or bully sticks for your pupper.

Also Kongs packed with kibble and peanut butter/yogurt and stored in the freezer = a fun time snack for all woofers :3:

I get her a fuckton of bully sticks i just thought the thigh bone from petsmart would be a nice special treat for her. I figured they would have them cooked or whatever. Its got some sort of seasoning on it too.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well poo poo. It was a dentley's bone if anyone knows if those are cooked or not

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Goddamn cute af Monty. I want to give Kedah people food occasionally but i worry it will be bad for her. Had to pry pizza out of her mouth someone threw on the ground who knows how many days ago. She was not pleased with me.it was like half a decent size slice.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im not sure if she is ok with going to hotels. What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Really beginning to support capital punishment for anyone who throws chicken bones out of their car window. Dug 3 out of Kedah's mouth tonight. Only 1 was before she crunched it into atleast 2 pieces.