Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

Remember when South Park was relevant? No, me neither.

Maybe around 2005. (It's in the middle of it's run time, you see)

Hakkesshu posted:

South Park is the most consistent animated comedy currently on television, possibly ever. It's still great :colbert:

It's consistent alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

San Diego Comic-Con, where Matt and Trey are slated to talk about video games on Thursday July 18, 2013 6:00pm - 7:00pm
http://comiccon2013.sched.org/event/16a49b70e4d9cd64772dd01486dbdac3

Also to fluff up this post with more content here are some now sorta old e3 interviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHYcPAqIDX0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foC_vTKtaLY

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 19, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bukowski posted:

the rpg where the best class is somewhere in the middle...

Actually the best class is The Jew.

That's a real class btw, just some of that classic edgy humor from the guys who single-handedly re-introduced "jew" as an insult in mainstream America. It's like, wow, what crazy thing will those guys say next? Haha, don't let your mom catch you playing this game!

Turtlicious posted:

Counterpoint:

Real 90s Kids Remember This

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The only hope this game has is that Obsidian will somehow manage to turn Matt and Trey's poo poo into gold. They're good, but I'm not too sure they're THAT good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The only hope this game has is that Obsidian will somehow manage to turn Matt and Trey's poo poo into gold. They're good, but I'm not too sure they're THAT good.

Dude, it's south park. I get if people don't enjoy it, but don't poo poo on something (there's an SP joke in that somewhere) because it's staying true to its style, and not being magically transformed into Mr Smith Goes To Washington.

Don't like the show, don't buy the game, because, newsflash, it'll probably be pretty similar humor and story-wise.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah, don't call something terrible and offensive for having the balls to stick to being terrible and offensive.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think Matt and Trey are doing all the writing and since Obsidian's strong suit has always been their writing it's curious they would pick them as a studio.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I just think it's stupid such a great studio's talent is being wasted on such a lovely license. It's even dumber than when Sega had early/mid-2000s Bioware make a handheld Sonic RPG.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

They chose to do the game since theyre not owned by any publisher (e.g. like Bioware) so uh, I doubt they feel they "wasted" their time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
They may have 'chosen' to do it, but as a business you don't really turn new business away when it approaches you. It sounds like they were having fun making it, though.

AlmightyBob posted:

Yeah, don't call something terrible and offensive for having the balls to stick to being terrible and offensive.

He can say it's lovely all he wants, that's fine. But it's just silly to say that the inclusion of Obsidian will suddenly make the content or subject matter any better. It's being written by the South Park guys.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Just because someone feels like something is worth doing doesn't mean it is. And since like you said, Matt and Trey are doing the writing, they probably got a pretty great paycheck without devoting too much of their A team to it, so I don't blame them for taking the job.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
South Park isn't funny? South Park is terrible? News to me. If you don't think South Park is funny and its humor is too offensive for your taste, perhaps you should not waste time thinking about this game and leave that to those who like the show. That's the beauty of the gaming industry, isn't it? There are plenty of humorous games that don't revolve around a stereotypical Jew class, and you can safely ignore this one and move on to those games instead.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
There's a tiny place in the back of my mind where I think of Dungeon Siege 3 whenever I hear Obsidian's name brought up. It was colossally...forgettable, with regard to what Obsidian has become famous for.

What did Obsidian contribute to this, it was mainly systems and design, right? Or did they co-write with Matt & Trey at all?

I really don't know what to expect from South Park the game.

VVV - yeah, haha, it's funny how he jumped straight into assuming you were offended by the humor, instead of just not liking it.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 25, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm not really offended by South Park, I just think it's unfunny and thinks it's way more clever than it really is. But feel free to keep on railing on about how you're getting oppressed by people disagreeing with you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm not really offended by South Park, I just think it's unfunny and thinks it's way more clever than it really is. But feel free to keep on railing on about how you're getting oppressed by people disagreeing with you.

Its not about feeling oppressed, but when half the posts in this page are about how much South Park sucks and is offensive, how can I react any way other than "what do you want?".

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Why are you even in this thread? You obviously don't like South Park so why do you feel that it's so important making it known how unfunny you find it?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Less pointless licensed games trying to cash in on popular but lovely TV series? The only reason this will end up better than that Family Guy game from last year is because it's a veteran devhouse instead of a studio dedicated to making GBS threads these things out.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The best thing to do is to not react to him at all if he's going to be this unreasonable/trolling about it. Also I'm like 90% sure Fucker wasn't just talking to 400 lbs and was adressing the other 2 posters that complained about how offensive the show is.

Anyway, South Park. I liked the show, although I'll admit it was very hit and miss with it's humor. I loved the paper Mario games so the combat system is a plus. I'm cautiously optimistic about the game, and I'll most likely buy it if it isn't too expensive.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lord Tywin posted:

Why are you even in this thread? You obviously don't like South Park so why do you feel that it's so important making it known how unfunny you find it?

Goons are determined to show other Goons how progressive they are.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Honestly, I don't even like South Park but will probably buy this game just to support Obsidian, and because I'm a sucker for Paper Mario's battle system.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Anyway, South Park. I liked the show, although I'll admit it was very hit and miss with it's humor. I loved the paper Mario games so the combat system is a plus. I'm cautiously optimistic about the game, and I'll most likely buy it if it isn't too expensive.

The show is not cancelled, its still going on, and its as funny as ever :colbert:

poptart_fairy posted:

Goons are determined to show other Goons how progressive they are.

Seriously.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
e: double post

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fucker posted:

The show is not cancelled, its still going on, and its as funny as ever :colbert:

Sorry, past tense because I haven't watched it (or any other tv show really) in a few years.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Just because someone feels like something is worth doing doesn't mean it is. And since like you said, Matt and Trey are doing the writing, they probably got a pretty great paycheck without devoting too much of their A team to it, so I don't blame them for taking the job.

Then how is it any one but Obsidian's fault for taking the contract? Like I mean it's cool if you don't like the game, I'm not interested unless it gets good reviews myself because I haven't watched the show in years, but criticizing the game about south park because it's aimed at south park fans and isn't about Chris Avellone monologuing about the nature of Kenny's death and rebirth and the repercussions of Cartman's farts is really bizarre.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm not really offended by South Park, I just think it's unfunny and thinks it's way more clever than it really is.

Then... why are you here? Why are you following the updates in the South Park game thread, and posting in it? You've said absolutely nothing about South Park or the game except that you hate it and think the game will suck.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Less pointless licensed games trying to cash in on popular but lovely TV series?

...oh I see. Yeah, okay great, but nobody is going to cancel this game because you personally don't like South Park.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

There's a tiny place in the back of my mind where I think of Dungeon Siege 3 whenever I hear Obsidian's name brought up. It was colossally...forgettable, with regard to what Obsidian has become famous for.

What did Obsidian contribute to this, it was mainly systems and design, right? Or did they co-write with Matt & Trey at all?

The Dungeon Siege series has the problem of being a Diablo-like game even Diablo isn't very deep story wise truth be told. Dungeon Siege 3's major problem is that Jeyne Kassender doesn't really come off too much like a villan in the way Diablo does. If anything she would be a prequel's heroine. The Legion you're founding again literally assassinated the last King for whatever reason and she systematically eradicated every last vestige of the Legion aside from one old spymaster and a deranged Wizard. Being the daughter of the assassinated King she was both popular and had a massive army at her disposal. The church of Ehb outright revered her as a living Saint. She is a superior leader and ruler in every regard compared to her half-sister who is holed up in a mine shaft. By the end of the game you fracture the country leaving a disgruntled Eastern populace who hate the fact Jeyne was displaced. Her armies are scattered and the "Royal" army is a weak shell propped up by robots from a merchant city who eventually would use the robots to ensure contracts and laws "go the proper way for the best interest of the country." The legion consists of 5 members total. The only outcome, even from the "best" ending is portions of the country seceding and mass revolt and banditry because of the lack of administration. The Queen herself is more a figurehead since the Legion exerts judicial judgement over disputes.

The only person with a straight good guy storyline is Anjali who is destined to put her corrupted dying gods to rest. Katarina seeks a home in Gunderic Manor for her people (why would you not take this option is beyond me) and Lucas is a straight vengeance story against Jeyne masked as "restoring family honor"

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 25, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Tywin posted:

King Vidiot posted:

Then... why are you here? Why are you following the updates in the South Park game thread, and posting in it? You've said absolutely nothing about South Park or the game except that you hate it and think the game will suck.

I love how Games bitches about how games journalism sucks because it's a circlejerk of perfect 10/10 scores and then they get mad when people post anything other than gushing praise in threads. Like, we want people to be more critical, but not really, you know? Doubly so when the same people who are getting pissed off at people besmirching the honor of their dick-and-fart cartoon show for grown-ups are trying to paint the other guys as offended and upset.

I'm actually looking forward to this because I like Paper Mario but I don't like how every subsequent game is even more ridiculously simplified and the writing keeps regressing. The thought of that kind of combat but with Obsidian's sensibilities sounds awesome. And maybe by having a singular focus (parodying fantasy and RPG tropes) Parker and Stone will make actual jokes like the they did in the early days of South Park instead of returning to their tired crutch of pop culture references, celebrity bashing, and Truth Is In The Middle moralising.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Except he isn't being critical, unless you consider a critical thought to be farting worthless posts into the thread about how the show sucks and how the game you are never going to play is therefore bad and a waste of the developer's talents. That's about as useful as a Youtube comment. One post would have sufficed, this is a pre-release thread and there aren't really any details about the game to speculate on and criticize at the moment so opinions about the show are better taken to the appropriate subforum I think.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about the preorder bonuses? They were offering them like 2 years ago and I want to know if they still apply or are even in the game anymore.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - I'm pretty sure anyone would still get that good times with weapons skin dlc. I don't think there was more, was there?

Youtuber, thanks, but I wasn't interested in a summary of the game. I'm glad you got something out of it, though. I kind of want to laugh at the fact that you felt the need to write that all out for no particular reason:shrug:, but I gotta recognize and appreciate the effort.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I love how Games bitches about how games journalism sucks because it's a circlejerk of perfect 10/10 scores and then they get mad when people post anything other than gushing praise in threads. Like, we want people to be more critical, but not really, you know? Doubly so when the same people who are getting pissed off at people besmirching the honor of their dick-and-fart cartoon show for grown-ups are trying to paint the other guys as offended and upset.

I'm actually looking forward to this because I like Paper Mario but I don't like how every subsequent game is even more ridiculously simplified and the writing keeps regressing. The thought of that kind of combat but with Obsidian's sensibilities sounds awesome. And maybe by having a singular focus (parodying fantasy and RPG tropes) Parker and Stone will make actual jokes like the they did in the early days of South Park instead of returning to their tired crutch of pop culture references, celebrity bashing, and Truth Is In The Middle moralising.

How the gently caress is he being any sort of critically helpful by saying 'lol. it's poo poo'?
All of his posts in this thread are as worthless as that first paragraph of yours. If he'd played the game or seen it played and said, "man, this humor is just as bad as the show and I really disliked the blahblahblah parts of gameplay," he would have a legit place in the discussion, and be welcome for it.

As for your second, I've never played paper mario, only Mario RPG and thought it was fun enough at the time. Sounds like the Paper Mario only evolved from that, which is totally okay in my book.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 25, 2013

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

The Duke posted:

Anyway, does anyone know anything about the preorder bonuses? They were offering them like 2 years ago and I want to know if they still apply or are even in the game anymore.

Well, at the recent Comic Con Q&A about the game Trey Parker professed to being very strongly against DLC content, but who knows what that says about the current in limbo DLC plans?

Here's a recap of the event.
http://screeninvasion.com/2013/07/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-panel-sdcc-13/

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I just think it's stupid such a great studio's talent is being wasted on such a lovely license. It's even dumber than when Sega had early/mid-2000s Bioware make a handheld Sonic RPG.

Hate to break it to you, but many people at Obsidian are actually fans of South Park. Chris Avellone has a picture of PS:T charachters drawn south-park style that was done back at Black Isle from one of the artists.

I personally think Matt and Trey's best work is the one they spent more time on than a week (South Park: The Movie, Team America, Book of Mormon). So, I'm pretty hopeful about it.

I hope though they don't drop DLC completly. I want me some Obsidian story dlc.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I love how Games bitches about how games journalism sucks because it's a circlejerk of perfect 10/10 scores and then they get mad when people post anything other than gushing praise in threads. Like, we want people to be more critical, but not really, you know?

Maybe someday The Something Awful Forums Games Board Hivemind And Definitely Not a Bunch of Different Posters Who Think Different Things will learn from your criticisms and correct its cognitive dissonance and be more consistent. Seriously you had something with calling it out for normalizing "Jew" as a pejorative and then you go and do whatever the gently caress this is. No one said you can't criticize it, they said doing driveby "South Park is dumb" posts really isn't constructive, original, or interesting to read. People dogpiling on something is as circlejerky as people only posting praise.

Anyways speaking of games journalism, Giant Bomb (or at least Jeff) seemed decently impressed by it (and somewhat surprised they were, as I recall, having gone in with understandably low expectations), and Obisidian is making it so I'm pretty hopeful it'll come out alright. I'm not a terribly huge fan of South Park but, low brow as it may be, it's entertaining enough at least once through and, if nothing else, the concept they're going for is pretty different (not the first to do it I'm sure but I can't think of anything else big recently that did kid imagination stuff, probably some indie games) and I'd like to see what else they do with it. Cautiously optimistic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pringles_School posted:

I hope though they don't drop DLC completly. I want me some Obsidian story dlc.

They mentioned 'episodes', in context of the game from that akward interview summary, so there's hope for SP2 et cetera if this first one is good. If it's bad, then I don't care.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I can't stand modern South Park for most of the reasons mentioned here, but I fully intend to play this because Obsidian is really goddamn good at designing game systems and worlds where you feel like your actions have actual weight to them.

It's totally possible to enjoy problematic media. If there's something in the game that we find really goes over the line, hey, we can talk about it here! Until then there's not much information at the moment.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

miscellaneous14 posted:

I can't stand modern South Park for most of the reasons mentioned here, but I fully intend to play this because Obsidian is really goddamn good at designing game systems and worlds where you feel like your actions have actual weight to them.

In this particular case, Obsidian fits like a lego block, because Cartman's a loving fatass.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I'm just excited because this looks like it will have actual effort put into it. Regardless of your opinion of the show, it's amazing they got the entire writing/production staff of the show involved AND got access to the graphical assets of the show, guaranteeing the game will look exactly like an animated episode. This is unheard of when it comes to licensed games.

However this game turns out, it won't be some cheap cash-in on the brand like the old N64 and PS1 games from back in the day, and that's worth giving it a look in the first place.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah, this is gonna be an expensive cash-in on the brand.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yeah, this is gonna be an expensive cash-in on the brand.

Considering how much Matt Stone and Trey Parker like branching out into other media its not unimaginable to believe that the two wanted to make a RPG based upon South Park and didn't just have a game studio show up with a dump truck full of money.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Has Ubisoft confirmed that the PC version is going to use their UPlay system? If so I think I'll get the PS3 version instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I've already posted a transcript of the Comic Con event, but someone has uploaded a video of the event, and it's seriously much better. So here it is.
http://aggrogamer.com/article/2982/SDCC-2013-South-Park-The-Stick-Of-Truth

• Locked thread