Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

After finishing this game, I think this format would be perfect for a Simpsons game.

Just sayin'

Unfortunately The Simpsons doesn't have competent writers and hasn't since the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

After finishing this game, I think this format would be perfect for a Simpsons game.

Just sayin'

The Simpsons game that got released back when the movie came out actually looked impressively close to the aesthetic of the show.

I don't see how the game would be good unless they somehow pretended that everything after season 10 didn't happen though.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

hangedman1984 posted:

Can't say cuz its a secret, or cuz you don't know?

Probably 'cause only Matt and Trey can answer that question, and they ain't talkin'.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Taking off my producer hat and speaking solely as a gamer:

http://kotaku.com/trey-parker-on-dlc-f-that-837541931/all

This is not me confirming or denying anything, but just pointing out what's already been said on the topic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The first bit of DLC has actually rolled out. For $2 you can get the Super Samurai Spaceman Pack which includes costumes that will be obsolete by the time you can equip them!

Also, what's the deal with the screenshot where the elves are talking to you in your PJs outside your home? Even the store page is out of date!

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

al-azad posted:

The first bit of DLC has actually rolled out. For $2 you can get the Super Samurai Spaceman Pack which includes costumes that will be obsolete by the time you can equip them!

That's the pre-order bonus content, for those who didn't pre-order, and it's mostly percent-based equipment like "recover 20% of your health" so it isn't really "obsolete" ever (although there's better equipment, obviously).

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I used the Samurai armor for about half the game. It was a good preorder bonus.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Knowing Matt and Trey, the first playable-content DLC will be touted as 'a new scenario'. It will consist of clicking a single button. You get an acievement for it even.

Edit: Wait, now, poo poo, I just remembered, that'd be ripping off the first Family Guy game. One of the last cut-away 'remember that time when' minigames is just a drawing of a stick figure and Peter's voice saying 'we ran out of money for cutaway minigames so, uh... just push a button'. Push. 'Yaaaay!'

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 5, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SIMPSONS DID IT! SIMPSONS DID IT!

The Simpsons Game has an achievement for just pressing start at the title screen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished the game, have to say it's pretty amazing in terms of writing and presentation. The game mechanics are fine, though I'm not a big RPG fan so some aspects did nothing for me, like some fetch quests and repetitive combat. But overall everything worked well enough to get a great south park experience out of it.

Where can I see the game time? I'm curious how long it took without :spergin: over the collectibles, I think I have like 70 friends and 15 chimpokemons.

A few random points about the PC version:
  • I wish it'd use more than 400 megs of RAM and avoided the frequent loading interruptions, it's not 2004 anymore.
  • Some controls are needlessly awkward with K&M, the action and magic selection could've easily been 1-5 and F1-F5 or on a mouse menu, maybe. The fart tuning is unintuitive as well, and could've easily be replaced with some kind of mouse balancing minigame.
  • Thanks to the simple graphics and low framerate, it's possible to play over standard remote desktop connection :v:
  • No performance issues or crashes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

mobby_6kl posted:

Where can I see the game time? I'm curious how long it took without :spergin: over the collectibles, I think I have like 70 friends and 15 chimpokemons.

Steam library, next to the "Play" button under the game title.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Question for you guys. How much is the PC version dependant on keyboard use for gameplay? I broke my left wrist a couple of weeks ago, so my gaming has been largely limited to heavily mouse driven with light keyboard use games. I really want the game, but would it be difficult if I could only play with one hand?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KamikazeJim posted:

Question for you guys. How much is the PC version dependant on keyboard use for gameplay? I broke my left wrist a couple of weeks ago, so my gaming has been largely limited to heavily mouse driven with light keyboard use games. I really want the game, but would it be difficult if I could only play with one hand?

There are a few required out-of-combat quicktime event-type sections I can think of that would be difficult, but not impossible to do with one hand. But you get basically unlimited retries at these so it should be possible, you might just have to get a bit creative. Also, in the "overworld" there are lots of sections that require you to hold down a key while aiming with your mouse, but none of them are super time sensitive or require really great accuracy so if you get something to weigh down the key while you aim with your good hand you should be fine. Other than that, most attacks require quicktime event input to do their maximum damage, but, having played as a Thief, I can't think of any of those that can't be done just fine with one hand, and at any rate, with the exception of one optional boss battle the game is not hard and you'll get through it just fine even if you do muck up the occasional quicktime event. It's worth it just for the story and humor.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 6, 2014

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
You're in luck, I think this is actually the perfect game to play while recovering from something like a broken hand/wrist whatever. All fights in this are turn based. I don't think there is anything in the game that requires the use of two hands, although it might be a tiny bit tricky to get the timing right on a few things, but definitely doable.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Just be sure to use your good hand for the button mashing because goddamn do you have to mash that button like a motherfucker to pass certain sequences. But mainly that's for a certain throwable weapon which isn't at all required in the game. In fact I can count on one hand finger the number of times I've actually used that item.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There once was a maiden from s...s...st...s...

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Alright, so this was the first game my girlfriend ever finished; what JRPG-lite games are there like this that she might enjoy? The requirement of a general lack of coordination was a big thing for her, and I think most JRPGs would be a bit too melodramatic for her to get into.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Alright, so this was the first game my girlfriend ever finished; what JRPG-lite games are there like this that she might enjoy? The requirement of a general lack of coordination was a big thing for her, and I think most JRPGs would be a bit too melodramatic for her to get into.

South Park was heavily inspired by the Paper Mario games. If you have a Gamecube (or Wii), Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door would fit really well.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ImpAtom posted:

South Park was heavily inspired by the Paper Mario games. If you have a Gamecube (or Wii), Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door would fit really well.

F'real, Thousand Year Door owns bones. The Wii Paper Mario game, Super Paper Mario, kinda sucks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Costume Quest is even simpler and shorter, has a cute aesthetic, and goes on sale for pennies all the time. There's even a sequel coming out this year that I'm kind of excited for despite knowing nothing about it.

All the Mario RPGs are good. A Wii will let you play Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario via virtual console. You can also play The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario which isn't awful, just not as good. With a DS you can play the original Superstar Saga and a DS/3DS can play Partners in Time, and Bowser's Inside Story (my least favorite, IMO). A 3DS will also net you Dream Team and Sticker Star Saga. Sticker Star gets a lot of flak for having no story and simplified gameplay but I think it's still a solid game that your girlfriend would enjoy if she wants a game where she can enjoy the aesthetic and not worry about equipment stats or leveling.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ubi's upcoming Child of Light may fit the bill.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Gotta +1 the recommendation for Paper Mario games. The original Paper Mario is awesome as well as those others have mentioned. Its available for the Wii virtual console. That and the Thousand Year Door are probably the most like the Stick of Truth.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 7, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Chairchucker posted:

F'real, Thousand Year Door owns bones. The Wii Paper Mario game, Super Paper Mario, kinda sucks.

This is wrong. People got pissy because it's more of a platformer than an RPG but it's fun and has good writing. Definitely worth playing and not a bad game at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

This is wrong. People got pissy because it's more of a platformer than an RPG but it's fun and has good writing. Definitely worth playing and not a bad game at all.

The problem with SPM's dialog is that it's too much. And this happens a lot in Nintendo's RPGs, really. Nintendo has a hard on for trying to be as charming as possible which tends to result in moments that feel like they're wasting your time. There are little things like baking a cake in Paper Mario or taking a coffee break in Bowser's Inside Story (Earthbound did it better) and then you have incredibly repetitive sections like finding General White in TTYD or how Sticker Star begins with a pointless toad hunt and the toads are hiding some truly obscure locations. Bowser's Inside Story really pissed me off for how much Starlow interrupted dialog and had pointless animations like spinning in place and pausing to look at flashing objects on the screen then spinning back to remind you they meant something. Even continuing into Dream Team, when the game asks you if you're familiar with a mechanic it will still explain it in some capacity, Jesus.

A lot of RPGs have an option to display the entire dialog box at once but the Mario RPGs insist on it coming letter by letter with a sound effect accompanying it. SPM's intro alone is 12 minutes long which is reaching Metal Gear Solid levels. I generally like the games but Nintendo really hams it up. Sticker Star felt like Miyamoto took a knee jerk reaction to SPM and said "axe it all!" and the result is a pretty soulless game. I don't want that, I just want them to be aware how utterly annoying some sections can be.

SPM probably would have been better if more time was spent developing it. The game was announced several months before its planned release on Gamecube that same year. It got delayed a few months so they could move it to Wii but it uses a lot of assets from TTYD so they had to have been working on it between 2004-2006.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

al-azad posted:

The problem with SPM's dialog is that it's too much. And this happens a lot in Nintendo's RPGs, really. Nintendo has a hard on for trying to be as charming as possible which tends to result in moments that feel like they're wasting your time. There are little things like baking a cake in Paper Mario or taking a coffee break in Bowser's Inside Story (Earthbound did it better) and then you have incredibly repetitive sections like finding General White in TTYD or how Sticker Star begins with a pointless toad hunt and the toads are hiding some truly obscure locations. Bowser's Inside Story really pissed me off for how much Starlow interrupted dialog and had pointless animations like spinning in place and pausing to look at flashing objects on the screen then spinning back to remind you they meant something. Even continuing into Dream Team, when the game asks you if you're familiar with a mechanic it will still explain it in some capacity, Jesus.

A lot of RPGs have an option to display the entire dialog box at once but the Mario RPGs insist on it coming letter by letter with a sound effect accompanying it. SPM's intro alone is 12 minutes long which is reaching Metal Gear Solid levels. I generally like the games but Nintendo really hams it up. Sticker Star felt like Miyamoto took a knee jerk reaction to SPM and said "axe it all!" and the result is a pretty soulless game. I don't want that, I just want them to be aware how utterly annoying some sections can be.

SPM probably would have been better if more time was spent developing it. The game was announced several months before its planned release on Gamecube that same year. It got delayed a few months so they could move it to Wii but it uses a lot of assets from TTYD so they had to have been working on it between 2004-2006.

I mean yeah it had its problems but saying that it "sucks" seems pretty unfair to me.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

PantsBandit posted:

I mean yeah it had its problems but saying that it "sucks" seems pretty unfair to me.

There were some genuinely terrible moments in Super Paper Mario, like the having to put in like a 12 digit code by hitting numbered blocks in order, or the world of the Sammer Guys where the first level is nothing but 20 one-on-one fights in an identical arena, followed by another ten traverses of that arena in which nobody fights you, followed after a boss fight by a four minute walk through a completely blank area.

I still liked Super Paper Mario despite it's faults, but I can certainly understand why a reasonable person might come to the conclusion that the game sucks, if they are less forgiving of some of the awful designs in that game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

New patch just hit Steam, looks like it addresses a few of the more common complaints. Notes below:

Allows WASD keys to work as arrow keys during the Goth Dance mini-game.
Fixes a potential hang in the counter attack tutorial battle.
Fixed an issue where accessories would not show up on the player if a new game was started while having the Hoff face equipped.
Fixed an issue where the outfit might now show up on the player during the costume changes in the Photo Dojo.
Fixed an issue where using Mr. Slave in the Giggling Donkey could cause issues in the fight.
Fixed an issue where the dire bear quest may not properly advance in Canada.
Fixed an issue where content could be skipped if grounded in the Lost Forest.
Fixed a few typos in messages.
Fixed a potential crash while playing in the Portuguese language.
Adjusted the difficulty of the Alien Probe mini-game.
Adjusted the difficulty of the pooping mini-game.
Adjusted the visuals of the magic tutorials while using PC controls.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Still no custom keybinds. :smith:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

New patch just hit Steam, looks like it addresses a few of the more common complaints. Notes below:

Allows WASD keys to work as arrow keys during the Goth Dance mini-game.
Fixes a potential hang in the counter attack tutorial battle.
Fixed an issue where accessories would not show up on the player if a new game was started while having the Hoff face equipped.
Fixed an issue where the outfit might now show up on the player during the costume changes in the Photo Dojo.
Fixed an issue where using Mr. Slave in the Giggling Donkey could cause issues in the fight.
Fixed an issue where the dire bear quest may not properly advance in Canada.
Fixed an issue where content could be skipped if grounded in the Lost Forest.
Fixed a few typos in messages.
Fixed a potential crash while playing in the Portuguese language.
Adjusted the difficulty of the Alien Probe mini-game.
Adjusted the difficulty of the pooping mini-game.
Adjusted the visuals of the magic tutorials while using PC controls.

It's a small thing, but I hope a future patch fixes the cutscene for the guard in Canada. If you approach him before getting the photo he has a scene where he tells you you're not getting in. Part of the joke was this introductory cutscene of him playing up the stringent rules of getting into Canada but 99% of players probably didn't know he was there until after getting the photo.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I can play the game in portuguese?!

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

Honest Thief posted:

I can play the game in portuguese?!

Brazilian Portuguese Subtitles. The VO's only in English (except some German VO ;) )

edit: also thank you to everyone who responded to my request for bug reports; I tried to cover the biggest ones in the patch.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Valve, please.

Anyone else seeing this?

E- Oh, apparently its effecting other games.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Katamari Democracy posted:

Valve, please.

Anyone else seeing this?

I have it too, seems they haven't fixed that Heartbleed thing that cropped up in the last couple of days.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I have it too, seems they haven't fixed that Heartbleed thing that cropped up in the last couple of days.

If I'm understanding it right, they've 'fixed' Heartbleed in that they're using the fixed version of OpenSSL and have a new key, but the logins that have been compromised haven't been changed yet.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Just finished the game yesterday. It was pretty funny and had the perfect length. I played the German censored PC version and the overly obvious and sloppy censorship was hilarious. The only thing I hated were the more complicated interactions like the abortion, farts and some QTE-like fight abilities. The devs are really bad at telling you what you actually have to do in those cases.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Has anyone by chance played this on a 360 without a hdd? I might let a friend borrow it if it wouldn't be nearly unplayable for him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I helped a friend through the game and they had a blast, but it was really interesting to see it played by somebody with basically zero experience with computer games. They found it very accessible and intuitive (maybe helped by being a big South Park fan) but struggled with some of the things that we take for granted, quicktime events in particular. One thing I found really interesting was that a couple of the fights ended up having some interesting stuff happen if you don't smash your way through them or are struggling to figure out the best way to fight. The final fight on the spaceship for example has a neat bit where defeating the Captain first causes him to promote the other alien (complete with "you have the bridge" "make it so" text) who becomes a lot more powerful. The mutant bacteria in the school basement will split if given enough time and make that rather easy fight a little more difficult too.

Funnily enough, by the endgame they had gotten so proficient that they missed some of the neater things in battles. The Secret Service were wiped out before they got a single move in, and the final Boss only got off one summon before it was time to break the Gentleman's Oath.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The game is $40 on Humble Store.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

http://www.simplycdkeys.com/steam/south-park-the-stick-of-truth

Sure, but it's $29 :911: at simplycdkeys - steamkey included. Before you think anything, it's a very legit site, used quite often in the Steam thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Drifter posted:

http://www.simplycdkeys.com/steam/south-park-the-stick-of-truth

Sure, but it's $29 :911: at simplycdkeys - steamkey included. Before you think anything, it's a very legit site, used quite often in the Steam thread.

$4 goes to charity so be a smart American shopper and get that discount or donate $4 to charity.

Or get the game from simplycdkeys for $30 and donate $10 for charity I'm not your conscience.

• Locked thread