Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Man, Contingency got way more creepy for me the second time around, all because of three words I didn't notice on my first watch.

The Society for the Preservation of American Dignity posted:

Though they may occupy our borders, our streets and our homes... the enemy will never occupy our SPIRIT.

Oh God, the implications there :tinfoil: :stonklol:

Glad to see Straub is back in action though, can't wait to see more Broodhollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Assuming the victory position right now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is this what victory looks like?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Depends on if he's quick enough to catch the cigarette.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
To everyone who missed it because it was in quote format:

"In other news, I’m writing Broodhollow again. Stay tuned."

And last month, a less secret announcement.

Concerning the hiatus - if any Broodhollow fans literally die before the comic reaches its conclusion, they should be added as characters.

Broodhollow: don't die there.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 9, 2016

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Welcome home, my friends.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Kris seems to have deleted all but two of his original pages for Book 3, and has made no mention of this. This is literally the only comic where you could get away with not saying anything about doing that.

Welcome to Broodhollow, where switchwater is taboo and your memories are never wrong because why would they be? Have a switchwater float on the house.

Edit: Given that he hasn't changed the book's name and has referred to it in an announcement image as 'A Game of Oubuilette and Other Stories', it's possible that he's planning on reposting or reworking the pages later. If it does, act in comments and forums as if he never posted the original pages. Broodhollow: Maybe You're Just Wrong.

Edit2: Kris has confirmed that he's reworking those pages.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 3, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm glad Broodhollow is back for real and it isn't more Cadavre.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Nice, I'm looking forwards to this.

Broodhollow is something special, and it's great to see it back from purgatory.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:toot: Yay it's back

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Glad to see this back. Now to reread it so I can remember everything that happened. (or will I?)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nothing really happens (except Cadavre), it's just a slice of life series with a slightly creepy aesthetic.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

slightly creepy aesthetic

Okay.

But more seriously, I'm honestly pretty happy with the concept of Broodhollow as you described it. Just people dealing with their day-to-day troubles in a deeply wrong town.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

But more seriously, I'm honestly pretty happy with the concept of Broodhollow as you described it. Just people dealing with their day-to-day troubles in a deeply wrong town.

Agreed. I love that the Ladies' Auxiliary is on some level aware of the weird memory fogging the town does and works against it with all those rituals and traditions and memorials.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
ooh, it's updating again!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

A king who wore only gold, eh?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Good to see that someone remembered Spiderman's birthday.
I'm reminded of an interactive fiction game I've played that dealt with a certain yellow themed figure.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Way to make a blatant metaphorical Checkov's sweater, Iris.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Few behind, but somehow this is both creepy and uplifting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Someone in the comments pointed out how fitting this strip almost getting overlooked by a lot of people is.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Someone in the comments pointed out how fitting this strip almost getting overlooked by a lot of people is.

Did he genuinely forget that page, or did he delay it on purpose? If he were to claim the former, we'd never believe him. Welcome to the world of unprovable paranoia. Hello, hello, hello.

poo poo. What else might he retroactively add... or HAVE added?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I didn't really engage with Act 3 the first time, for whatever reason. I'm kind of glad to be coming back to it with fresh eyes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdyknT4uchM

New video short!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Great, now I'm scared of driving in the dark with my GPS.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

You have arrivvvvvvveed~~....

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't worry, I know how this story ends, the guy's fine.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That's a nice spooky short.

Tho I remember when it was done by Dr. Who.

Except much more lovely

(Because it was Dr. Who)

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
A few new pages after the Local 58. http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2016/07/05/among-the-bowers-page-9/

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Which old Greek guy bitched about writing stuff down made people more complacent about remembering stuff again? ( Yes, I am aware of the irony)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That was my uncle Stefanos at my sister's wedding.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Samovar posted:

Which old Greek guy bitched about writing stuff down made people more complacent about remembering stuff again? ( Yes, I am aware of the irony)

That's actually probably not wrong; it's thought the advent of literacy causes a reduction in average memory retention ability. Obviously the benefits outweigh the trade-offs dramatically.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

With the follow-on idea that the Internet is making it even worse. We don't remember things, we remember how to find things now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There are a lot of people who think the education system should be seriously revised because remembering historical dates and poo poo is utterly worthless in a world when you can look any of it up on your phone in less than a minute. There's a focus on memorization in education that's extremely outdated in the information age.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

That was Socrates via Plato in the Phaedrus.

quote:

This, said Theuth, will make the Egyptians wiser and give them better memories; it is a specific both for the memory and for the wit. Thamus replied: O most ingenious Theuth, the parent or inventor of an art is not always the best judge of the utility or inutility of his own inventions to the users of them. And in this instance, you who are the father of letters, from a paternal love of your own children have been led to attribute to them a quality which they cannot have; for this discovery of yours will create forgetfulness in the learners' souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves. The specific which you have discovered is an aid not to memory, but to reminiscence, and you give your disciples not truth, but only the semblance of truth; they will be hearers of many things and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing; they will be tiresome company, having the show of wisdom without the reality.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samovar posted:

Reminds me of this

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
New page: http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2016/09/09/among-the-bowers-page-12/

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

God, Planchett's a dick.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

To paraphrase a comment on the site: I hope he dies in a way that makes me feel sorry for him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Planchett is such a strongwilled rear end and a bit at odds with the town zeitgeist (he may be for tradition but he wants the town to expand and be profitable/noticeable) that he's probably one of the only really indoctrinated broodhollowans that will likely end up being a good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

He's selfish in a way that requires him to convince himself he's a good guy. Narratively, that means he just needs something to happen to him that's shocking enough to give him some perspective, and then his need for self-esteem will overcome his more short-sighted stuff. (Though in real life, a guy like that might delude himself forever, so who knows how Kris decides to take this story).

In short: I hope he sees the errors of his ways. Before or after it's too late, could go either way.

• Locked thread