Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

MikeJF posted:

I was first drawn to Broodhollow because I have OCD symptoms, and what Wadsworth suffers from at the start of the comic before coming to Broodhollow is basically plain old straightforward heavy OCD - the patterns ('rituals' is what they're usually called), the vague but intense feeling of unease if unfulfilled, the linking it to some irrational and unconnected outcome...

Mine was doors related, too. Which makes the part where it actually came true way more horrifying to read. :psyduck:

If it seems especially genuine, that's because it is - Straub has said before that Wadsworth's troubles are to some extent based on his own "superstitions" as he calls them. He's mentioned having something very much like the door thing, especially. I can't help sort of wondering how much it's taking out of him to show Wadsworth's rituals failing him, or if it instead helps in some way, though that's a pretty personal thing to think about a total stranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Today's page is up. Seems Wadsworth has truly arrived, now. :v:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Notice the half-open medicine cabinet, though? By ghost-free real-world standards, it's very good that that doesn't bother him anymore, but in this comic it kind of invites question, for all that Maddy turned out to not be the real threat. There's a fair amount to wonder about here!

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

When I posted, the previous page didn't have a "next" link yet for some reason and I didn't think to right click the post's title. :downs:

MikeJF posted:

I think it's just the way the mirror on the cabinet stands out from the wall, judging by the lines. I don't think it's open.

That's actually how I read it at first too, but I disagree. Notice the angle between the bottom of the cabinet and the top of the sink, say. The perspective works better if we assume the mirror isn't parallel to the wall. (Also, the reflections look more right for a slightly angled mirror than a straight-on one, but that might be digging too deep.)

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
The shoeless thing seems to be another weird little local tradition that Iris is aware she's doing, going by Wednesday's page. It's just Unshoe Day or something. Weird, though, and probably pretty unhealthy. (It does also seem like the dialogue on that page suggests people are maybe only supposed to go barefoot indoors, which would give this point back to you. In that case, I guess mentioning her dad does still weigh on Iris subconsciously, or something. I don't see her shoes anywhere, though.)

Today's page also mentions Whippoorwill Day; it probably doesn't need mentioning, but as far as I know whippoorwills aren't exactly good omen birds, traditionally. Death omens, if anything! Lovecraft was a big fan, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

You're not very good at reading. (She mentions people take their shoes off as they come in because the floor is heated in his shop.)

The way I took that was that people are coming in a lot today because if it's shoeless day, you're happy to take the opportunity to visit a building with a heated floor. Your reading would be the really definitely more plausible one in any other town, I concede.

• Locked thread