Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I'm still not getting how violently assaulting someone for no reason would be the conclusion you'd jump to for "I need to be really really scared".

And this is with me willfully ignoring the fact that he's already revealed the stupid 3-fanged worm things that obviously did it.

Have you tried reading the red text in thought-bubbles as Not Zane? They've always seemed to me like intruding thoughts from some hitchhiking entity. Such as the one that bursts out of his body in that most recent dream, using Zane himself as bait.

Even if those red-colored thoughts aren't literally from some monster, they've always had the pattern of butting into Zane's thought process while he's trying to reassure himself that he didn't do the murder. Every time he starts to realize the common-sense stuff you're saying, that line of thought interrupts and keeps him freaked out.

In this most recent comic, the red-text and the normal-text thoughts start to blend together, but that's part of what made it so unnerving to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Even if it's not literally our main character killing people, I think this thing is connected to him. All the horror imagery seems to be connected to this idea of "bait". It feels like something has attached itself to Zane and, well... "come closer".

Zane's fear that he's the murderer doesn't feel boring to me in the way that you describe. This scene's been feeling pretty tense to me. And that's because there's so many possibilities between "this is a completely worthless red herring" and "Zane was right all along".

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

So, the first book was a self-contained story more-or-less, but I guess subsequent books might just lead into each other with cliffhangers? Jeez.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Guest strip for Halloween.

Wow, that's certainly something. Love the more-detailed interpretation of Zane and Iris.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ah, poo poo, I meant to back that kickstarter. Now my hardback Book 1 will never have its matching sequel.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Skymeat is the slabs of meat that fall from the sky in the morning, obviously. It sells well, so they don't question it.

EDIT: dang, I forgot the menu clarified "assorted poultry". What a shame.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Broodhollow is set sometime in the 1930s, which was the height of the depression. According to the CPI Inflation Calculator, $1 in 1930 had the same purchasing power as $13.99 in 2015, which means that the Cubby's Diner Breakfast runs $47.58. I think the prices here are not all that carefully researched.

I mean, all the other breakfasts are less than a dollar, making them within reason. The "Cubby's Diner Breakfast" is supposed to be silly.

Then again, the "cheeseburger" costs less than a third of what a "cub-cub" hamburger does, so I think these prices are basically silly nonsense all around, like the food itself.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh man. I'd forgotten that the previous chapter ended in the middle of an incredibly tense moment, but going back to reacquaint myself has that all fresh in my memory again. And then we skip forward a few months! That's not concerning at all.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

They "why don't you leave" aspect is part of the horror, when it has a large psychological aspect like this.

Zane was originally planning on getting in and out of this town as quickly as possible. After a horrifying experience, he... decided to stay. And take on the same role as his recently-deceased relative. And then he quickly starts to feel so at home it's as if he lived here all his life.

In context with everything else we're learning about the town, that's scary as hell.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This is really spooky, and really neat.

We're in a similar situation: we saw a lot of stuff that Iris probably doesn't remember, leading up to Zane discovering that cavern under the lake. But we didn't "see" anything after the moment he discovered it, so we'll have to piece together those events from what characters say and do a few months later. The time skip is working like a memory lapse for the audience.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Isn't Broodhollow meant to be in West Virginia? I'd guess he's emphasizing location to imply that the non-random pattern is a supernatural thing. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of code there (perhaps with the pattern of exclamation marks relevant). He's just saying so obliquely to avoid giving stuff away.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The blurriness of the line between Zane's OCD, the actual supernatural, and the town's traditions is a big part of Broodhollow. Any given pattern might or might NOT be a supernatural thing -- that uncertainty is a big part of the horror.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This camera story was a bonus in the first book, and I remember someone saying it was partly based on an Ichor Falls story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

He's selfish in a way that requires him to convince himself he's a good guy. Narratively, that means he just needs something to happen to him that's shocking enough to give him some perspective, and then his need for self-esteem will overcome his more short-sighted stuff. (Though in real life, a guy like that might delude himself forever, so who knows how Kris decides to take this story).

In short: I hope he sees the errors of his ways. Before or after it's too late, could go either way.

• Locked thread