Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well, now Wadsworth has someone that the townspeople know and trust to corroborate his story. Thatt's good. That's one step closer to blowing the lid off of whatever the hell is happening in this town.

If those bones are gone by the time that the police get here, well, at least the 3 muscle guys will know that something fishy is going on, and will therefore be more willing to play along the next time Wadsworth tells them about something strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tollymain posted:

There is something serious wrong with Broodhollow :wtc:

What makes you say that? :confused:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So they are still aware that something strange is going on. At least, they know that people are forgetting things. They just forgot what.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Action Tortoise posted:

So it's not just Zane who's noticing cracks in the town's facade. :unsmith: I was looking back at earlier strips and noticed the Mayor's first real appearance in the chapter has his hands over his face. That's a really nice touch there.

That's a link to the most recent comic.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm worried that in a few days the Bottlefly Boys will have always been Broodhollow's most inseprable duo.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Wasn't there blood on the snow in the last comic before? It's gone now.

No, there wasn't.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Aww. It would have been great if he added the blood back in the next update, and added blood to the previous pages. I'd love to see a comic gently caress with its readers like that.

Homestuck did something like that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Look at his face in the fifth panel. Planchett's just trying to comfort himself. What an rear end in a top hat.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Someone in the comments section pointed out that the desiccated version of Zane has the scar.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It's condensation.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It looks like the ladies' auxiliary is at least a little more important than the skulls and shovels society. Granted, that's not saying much.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

McSpanky posted:

Sometimes I have dreams where I'm trying to help people in distress but my (IRL badly injured) back gives out and my throat closes up so bad I can barely whisper so the last few strips are really making me :stonk:

Interesting. I recommend opening and closing your doors and drawers a few times after using them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fabricated posted:

I'm still not getting how violently assaulting someone for no reason would be the conclusion you'd jump to for "I need to be really really scared".

And this is with me willfully ignoring the fact that he's already revealed the stupid 3-fanged worm things that obviously did it.

Have those ever been shown to be anything more than scribbles on paper? Because you're doing some serious conclusion jumping if not.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well I guess that puts getting your wisdom teeth removed into perspective.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Carrasco posted:

Can't wait to see whatever he just saw.

You already have.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fabricated posted:

Straub has been afflicted with the sadbrains, so updates are probably not forthcoming in a fast manner.
Here's a C/P:

quote:

Broodhollow is partly — maybe mostly — an exploration of some long-held fears and rituals I’ve accumulated. When Zane can’t look into a doorway cracked an inch wide for fear of seeing a face, that’s not invented. That is my fear. When Zane is terrified of forgetting what he’s already done, that’s me too. When he has dreams in which he’s compelled against sense to find the thing that will frighten him awake, that’s also been me.

I’ve had anxiety and depression issues most of my life. I’ve been trying new medications lately because my depression is manifesting itself differently than usual. Ordinarily, in the past, when I’ve been depressed, my work didn’t stop. The content just changed to reflect it. You can see it in tonal shifts in Starslip and Chainsawsuit from time to time.

Usually the low periods last a couple weeks and then clear up, with no change in my output frequency. Often I’d look forward to the depressive periods, because my output would actually increase. I believed I did better work while depressed. (I actually still do.)

But for the past four or five months I’ve been in this state, and it’s been marked by the opposite: output I don’t feel confident about, and a trickle of ideas when I felt like I stood in front of a relative fire hose for the past 15 years.

I’m embarrassed to write about it like this, because I know how lucky I am to be able to be a cartoonist in the first place, and to be able to produce something you are excited to read. This has been my dream since childhood. But I have 15,000 bosses I have to stand in front of today, and apologize for not coming in on time.

This isn’t an announcement saying Broodhollow is over, or anything dramatic like that. I have at least two more Broodhollow books in me after A Game of Oubliette is finished, once it’s finished. I still love this universe. I just wanted to share what’s been going on, and that if you sensed that I’ve been struggling, well, you were right. I wish that it wasn’t the case.

My objective has always been to give you something fantastical to think about and be entertained by; a place to travel to, to suspend your own concerns. I always felt that writing about my own issues (in anything but a detached, curious way) is completely outside of — and in opposition to — that entertainment objective.

But some good will come out of it if I help someone else understand that you are allowed to struggle, sometimes.

My priority right now is Kickstarter fulfillment — but I’ll still be exploring the borders of Broodhollow here. Thank you for reading and being supportive. And of course I will respond to any comments below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I wonder how they're going to turn a single short story into 6 episodes.

• Locked thread