Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I wonder how much of Mercy's behavior is artistic license for the sake of cuteness, and how much is related to the fact that she was a giant hell bat the night before.

(Not that that's the most important question right now.)

Chinaman7000 posted:

The Horror Stories thread in PYF just got me hooked on Kris Straub's writing, and now I find out he does an awesome comic too? Goddamn amazing. What a talented guy. I'm enjoying this a lot so far. I really enjoyed a lot of his short stories.

If you're new to Kris Straub, you should definitely check out his other comics, particularly Starslip, which I don't think I can praise enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I was wondering why Wadsworth sealing every open space would mean he could be abducted, and this might explain the connection.

Zereth posted:

I dunno the fact that the mayor's reaction to asking when Iris' dad died is a blank stare followed by everybody resuming conversation as if he hadn't said anything seems pretty loving off to me.

Wadsworth seemed to be speaking in a voice low enough that only Osgood could hear (otherwise Planchett probably would have commented). I think that the Mayor, unlike Iris (and perhaps the rest of the town) knows the answer to that question, but really doesn't want to talk about it to Wadsworth, so he was just stunned for a second before he could find a distraction.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Come to think of it, would getting a journal actually work? Iris wrote down everything about her father's death, but it looks like she forgot all the same.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

That cop's still got that rear end in a top hat expression on his face, I see.

Ugh, probably thinking "he brought it on himself".

The really worrying part is why is he saying Wadsworth needs to see this.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

And it's not even something that would seem suspicious, since it would just seem like he's advertising them.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

Well it makes sense on this page where he slams the drawer in the face of the ghost girl trying to help him, but he's facing left when he and Iris beat the stitched man into tiny pieces, which I don't really think was a bad idea.

I suppose you could interpret that as the decision being Iris' rather than his, since she's the one who burst in there swinging, or it could suggest that something about this will come back to bite him--maybe the bones have to be burned and stomping on them just pissed it off? But he might just be screwing with us.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Spending the night and not remembering it later just makes it even more scandalous.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

nimby posted:

I think Wadsworth is trying very hard to convince himself the creepy unknown monsters aren't actually real. He has forgotten all about the skin-flayer, right now he just thinks his nightmares are loving weird.

Something I've been thinking about the last few comics: what if the "red" thoughts aren't just Wadsworth's guilt, but the thoughts of the creature inside him? A creature which has, itself, fallen prey to Broodhollow's collective amnesia and needs to reconstruct its own crime?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Now we have a name for it! Wonder if this means Angstrom and Wadsworth can act as the "hem" for each other, or maybe Iris and Wadsworth.

Speaking of Angstrom, the second panel reminds me of this panel here. The difference seems to be that Angstrom is basically talking to himself.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So I think this could still be a red herring, partly because otherwise the dream sequences would be a red herring--unless they're metaphorical, I guess--but mostly because Zane's going through all this terror and he still hasn't recovered any additional memories. Unless that's what the next comic's about.

But whether it is or not, Dr. Angstrom was just sent to check in on Zane. Maybe his "I'm sure there's a perfectly rational explanation" attitude will apply to walking in on him clutching a blood-soaked instrument, or maybe it won't matter and Zane will panic and stab him either way.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Have you tried reading the red text in thought-bubbles as Not Zane? They've always seemed to me like intruding thoughts from some hitchhiking entity. Such as the one that bursts out of his body in that most recent dream, using Zane himself as bait.

That's how I've been reading it too, although it could be either in this comic. I think the thing is, if you read it that way, you also have to accept that the entity has also forgotten exactly what happened. Which would be a pretty cool wrinkle, admittedly, but Harker seemed to have his memory totally intact. The other problem is that one gag where Zane shouted "what did I do in the woods" and thought "what am I doing this afternoon", which suggests that they're both his voice.

RickoniX posted:

and he used the cork puller to try and get it out? makes sense

Except his wound is a laceration--a slice, rather than a stab.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

From the viewpoint of a detached reader, it's kind of frustrating that he won't even consider the idea that he's not the murderer. But confirmation bias and blind panic are a hell of a thing.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I can't shake the thought that he might be hallucinating here.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Can't wait to see whatever he just saw.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It seems to be too gradual to just happen while they're in the middle of something. If nothing else, they should be able to act as each other's hems right now.

Ariong posted:

You already have.

...drat.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Eschers Basement posted:

I think that's exactly what's going on here. A lot of the elements of this - the hole motif, the symbols and signs in red, the red lines, etc. - are things that have previously only appeared to Zane in dreams, and now it's topped off by the appearance of Cadavre, who also appeared and spoke to Zane in his dreams. Either Zane is still dreaming, or Zane's dreams are prophetic ties directly to this moment, and I think Cadavre speaks to it being the former, though Cadavre's eyes bleeding speak to something I don't know what the gently caress.

It might not be prophetic as much as an indication he's already found this before. Also, Cadavre explained that "just because it's a dream doesn't mean it's not real" applies, which suggests that rather than being a manifestation of Zane's subconscious, he's a real entity.

But more importantly "he was asleep the whole time, it was a dream within a dream" would be boring.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The bats were weird because the Bottlefly Boys literally seemed to see them AS normal bats while it was all going on. Zane yells that they're the size of cars, and one of them turns around and laughs and says, "If they were, we'd be in trouble!"

Meanwhile they certainly as gently caress knew that the angleworm wasn't normal.

The line was more like "they're almost the size of cars!" and one of them says "if they WERE the size of cars, then we'd be in trouble!"

It was sarcasm/bravado, they didn't think they were just punching regular sized bats.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Straub in the comments says "I flipped the coins last time I was in West Virginia." So either he did this and got a sequence that doesn't seem random (maybe the coin he was using is weighted), or it's uh...a joke I'm not getting.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Huh, Virgil was the only one to return it on time.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"You ask one little question and people treat you like a criminal. They SHOULD be treating me like a criminal for tonight's serial muggings" is such a Kris Straub line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Depends on if he's quick enough to catch the cigarette.

• Locked thread