Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Aww, I saw the new replies and thought the comic had updated :(

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zoe posted:

It has!

not really, and I'm so, so sorry.

(I know it seems cruel but sometimes that really works when waiting for a comic to update, in the OotS thread I've seen it happen many times. We could also try asking if Kris is okay! :eng101:)

I don't actually know anything about that comic other than seeing some shoddy-looking ads, so I'm not really sure how to react to this.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zoe posted:

Posting this just so people will think the comic's been updated and then be disappointed.

:catstare:

drat you.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So book 2 is done, when will the webcomic be updated? I assume it's at least after the kickstarter is over and probably some time after the pdfs and books have been sent out.

EDIT: I'm retarded, book two has been out for ages. It's book three we're waiting for.

Kinda forgot the structure of this comic, guess it's been too long since I read it. :(

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 11, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zoe posted:

Wait I was on my phone before so didn't click the link.

It just goes to the book 2 beginning I guess? drat you Mimir that was a cruel tease. :mad:

Well, this was posted today, at least according to the upload date, which is weird because I remember seeing this exact page before.

...Oh God.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Kgummy posted:

Well it is pretty similar to the other two book title pages.

No, I've seen it before, with that exact symbol.

I guess it might have been shown in this update?

The link 404s, and WayBackMachine doesn't have anything on it, but it was posted shortly after the end of book two.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 26, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

Oh man. I'd forgotten that the previous chapter ended in the middle of an incredibly tense moment, but going back to reacquaint myself has that all fresh in my memory again. And then we skip forward a few months! That's not concerning at all.

I reread the entire comic two days ago and I somehow missed that, thanks for pointing it out.

Guess we have another memory loss at hand, it would explain the chapter title, at least.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Wait are we really getting updates now? Finally, I was getting bored waiting for chapter 4 to drop.

You'll probably have to wait a bit longer for that, sorry.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

How do I keep falling for these

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zoe posted:

So this holiday sounds ominous as all hell but it's easy to forget that with the bake sale joke.

And is it the assumption that all these holidays are just a coping mechanism or a way to keep things under control like the Pattern or do you think they're actually exactly what whatever force is at work in the town wants?

I've been assuming that's it's some sort of calendar, but there's probably something more ominous behind it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

khy posted:

Kris Straub has managed to make a ladies auxiliary interesting to me. Despite the fact that it still has bake sales and poo poo.

I cannot wait until we learn more about the cavern under the lake

And whether or not Zane is still down there.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Tulul posted:

The most unrealistic thing about this Lovecraftian horror comic is a black woman participating in a posh 1920s New England social club.

I've got a hundred on "doesn't remember that anything happened".

e: I'm imagining Lovecraft frowning out the window of his house then writing some really racist letters about the standards of ladies these days.

I think they just forgot to be racist.

+1 to the cosmic horror making everyone forget.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Fabricated posted:

The bats were weird because the Bottlefly Boys literally seemed to see them AS normal bats while it was all going on. Zane yells that they're the size of cars, and one of them turns around and laughs and says, "If they were, we'd be in trouble!"

Meanwhile they certainly as gently caress knew that the angleworm wasn't normal.

After the fight they claimed it was just a large bug, not something "the size of a train car", as Dr. Angstrom put it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zoe posted:

Wow, you can really see that panic setting in around panel 3. That is the face of a man who has seen things. And actually remembered them, for once.

And so it sounds like the lake is just a big empty crater now?

Either that, or the temple or whatever it was is flooded now.

Zoe posted:

Oh, and so I notice the background of the site has changed again. For the new book we've got darkness with streaks of light coming in from the sides.

Like the water themed one we had last time, I assume the meaning will only become obvious once whatever major thing's going to happen actually happens.

I kinda wish the backgrounds were tied to the chapters rather than just being replaced outright. Like the water themed one would be bound to chapter 2 and so on.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Update

au courant
[oh koo-rahn; French oh koo-rahn]

adjective
1. up-to-date.
2. fully aware or familiar; cognizant.

Origin of au courant
< French: literally, in the current

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 29, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Update.

Looks like things are getting spooky.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 9, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Update

Look who's back :allears:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Update

That's one dark library.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Update

Yeah, I don't have anything to say about this one.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Oh man I missed a lot of these updates.

That last panel had a really nice punch to it, it's something I've been missing in book 3 so far.

But I suppose that can be excused, we're pretty early into the current storyline after all.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zereth posted:

Nah, it looks like Km Chimichanga retruned it on time too. Dec 18 due, and "C 18" return.

Grilox posted:

Actually it looks like it was due "Dec 16" for two different people. Who both returned it Dec 18.

Which is weird, but there was probably a year between the two, since the stamps this library was using lack years.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zoe posted:

Maybe worth posting for people like me who never scroll down:

quote:

Broodhollowans,

I’m not the kind of cartoonist who believes an audience should accept late or missing updates because webcomics are free to read. I may not technically owe anybody x number of strips per week. But what I think I do owe you is professionalism — and I always associated consistency with that quality.

I think the demands of the past year are finally catching up with me. I’m blocked creatively. It hasn’t done me a lot of good to try and think my way out of it. I’ve had little bouts of writer’s block in the past, for sure — it happens to everyone, and you work through it until you’re on the other side. But combined with parenthood, other unnamed life events, and getting the final stages of the Book 2 Kickstarter ready to ship (books arriving in August!), this is the longest-lasting block I’ve ever experienced.

I want to do A Game of Oubliette correctly because it’s a really important story for the Broodhollow universe, and I’m nervous that continuing to grind it out like this is going to affect the book’s quality — but! A total hiatus is not the solution.

What I’d like to do is pause Book 3 for a while and explore other stories in and around Broodhollow. It would do me good to get some perspective on the Town of A Thousand Holidays, and as anxious as you are to find out where Zane and company are headed this time, I also think you’d appreciate seeing more of this haunted world.

What do you think?

This sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I wonder where these side stories are going to fit into the timeframe, I guess between book two and three?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Update

This isn't right.

e: Man do I love the filters Kris use. They really add to the mood.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 15, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Hey, at least they're in color.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I have to say I didn't expect this storyline to end so abruptly, oh well.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Would you look at that, seems like the comic updated several times last month:

The Last Train Part 1

The Last Train Part 2

The Last Train Part 3

The Last Train Part 4

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Man, Contingency got way more creepy for me the second time around, all because of three words I didn't notice on my first watch.

The Society for the Preservation of American Dignity posted:

Though they may occupy our borders, our streets and our homes... the enemy will never occupy our SPIRIT.

Oh God, the implications there :tinfoil: :stonklol:

Glad to see Straub is back in action though, can't wait to see more Broodhollow.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Nice, I'm looking forwards to this.

Broodhollow is something special, and it's great to see it back from purgatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

slightly creepy aesthetic

Okay.

But more seriously, I'm honestly pretty happy with the concept of Broodhollow as you described it. Just people dealing with their day-to-day troubles in a deeply wrong town.

• Locked thread