Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wow, this comic is good, thanks for posting about it. I read the whole thing in one sitting and got so frustrated when I hit today's page and couldn't go any further, what a stopping point! Great juxtaposition between the art style and the subject matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Judging by the speech bubbles she sounds like she did before, but maybe a little more... meaty.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Y Signal posted:

I just finished reading through the archives the other day, now I'm hooked. I've always found Straub's Chainsaw Suit to be funny, but I didn't realize he had such a talent for inspiring sheer terror.

Every time the panel suddenly shifts from cutesy cartoon art to macabre creepytown, I hear the Eternal Darkness insanity sound/music cue in my head, without fail.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lance Streetman posted:

It was a dark and stormy night (in Seattle), much like tonight, when the unthinkable happened.

Broodhollow updated

"PC Load Letter? What the gently caress does that mean?"

:roflolmao: goddamnit

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pyradox posted:

This is the kind of scene I always want to see in horror movies but instead the protagonist just runs away.

Either that or the movie gives the foe some bullshit ability to shrug off bats to the head or whatever. Thank you Broodhollow, for letting a stitched-together corpse get what's coming to it by the vengeful hand wielding a frying pan.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Really, we needed two pages of, essentially, book covers?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I know, I just want more Broodhollow goodness nowwwwwww

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Don't forget that did, in fact, happen on the last page of book one.

Exactly. The fact that he's fitting in perfectly is incredibly heartbreaking.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:tviv:

I really needed to check this thread just before going to bed, yessir indeed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bobulus posted:

You know what would be extra creepy? If he starts writing stuff down, has a perfectly normal day, and then the chapter ends with a view of the journal and it's filled with things that both he and we, the audience, have 'forgotten'.

I loved it when they did stuff like that with The Silence in Doctor Who, always a classic trick with amnesia-inducing phenomena.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

Hey that's clever. The static is actually a background image, and the animation merely consists in making more and more of the comic transparent.

If you do read the fake comments before going back to the strip, though, you'll probably miss when "you have to go inside" flashes over the static.

Yeah, you have to Ctrl+F5 to completely refresh the gif cycle, and it's worth it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Len posted:

Is that taking into account Opera with how it resets gifs if they leave the view area?

Edit: drat phone autocorrect.

No, I'm on Firefox, which doesn't reset gifs with normal page refreshes.

Gotta love the mayor looking right at the viewer when he says "We haven't seen the worst of it yet!"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

No face on a clock, no face on a person. :aaaaa:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I think she's just... not looking at the body, you know?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He's working on the Grand Unified Neurosis, no problem.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wadsworth should know by now that searching dreams for meaning is a hollow pursuit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"drat, I missed two weeks' worth of updates! And it hardly mattered!"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

E) Wadsworth's life is the nightmare. Of a demon :kheldragar:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Purging the Psycholith" sounds like an amazing album.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Why does this feel less like a nightmare and more like a premonition :ohdear:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sometimes I have dreams where I'm trying to help people in distress but my (IRL badly injured) back gives out and my throat closes up so bad I can barely whisper so the last few strips are really making me :stonk:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love it when a character in a highly bizarre situation finally snaps and goes "just what the gently caress is going on here?!?" instead of taking every freakishly unnatural thing in stride.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

slowbeef posted:

It looks more like an asterisk to me. The horizontal line is a little harder to see.

Exactly, the three lines are converging. He's followed them to their source in the flashbacks and now drawn them to their endpoint in the present.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SKYMEAT is clearly the superior choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

And we open outside the... City hall? I think that's supposed to be City hall

Looks like it says "Broodhollow Building & [blank]" to me.

• Locked thread