Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Was doing the "what's your salary expectation?"/"what's your budget?" dance with a recruiter two weeks back, and then dipped to go on holidays with no internet access. Turns out not only were they lying about not being able to put me forward for a role without a number, they also just threw me at some random USA-based company without asking, and then spent two weeks flipping their poo poo at me via email and LinkedIn. I've taken a look at the job spec they forwarded to me after putting me forward, and it's super bare-bones and is a 6-8 hour interview process across 4-5 weeks for a company of less than 50 people. I'm not in the USA, they're not big enough to justify that much timewasting, and I didn't even ask to be put forward for this. I'm taking the "inteview" tomorrow just to tell them how badly their recruitment process is loving them. They're probably not going to be happy with me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Had an interview last week that turned to salary expectations. I was pretty comfortable giving my range because it overlapped with the posting, only to have the recruiter tell me that the starting range was $30k less, and the posted range was the entire payband for the position. Okay, sure, except as I pointed out, the JD explicitly stated "salary at commencement of employment." She replied to this with a noncommittal "we'll try to fix that" (??) and I proceeded to cut the conversation short.

The next day I got an alert that they reposted the role. Ah, I thought to myself, I'm glad they fixed the language.

They did not fix the language.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Resume and Interview ULTRATHREAD: They did not fix the language

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Habibi posted:

Had an interview last week that turned to salary expectations. I was pretty comfortable giving my range because it overlapped with the posting, only to have the recruiter tell me that the starting range was $30k less, and the posted range was the entire payband for the position. Okay, sure, except as I pointed out, the JD explicitly stated "salary at commencement of employment." She replied to this with a noncommittal "we'll try to fix that" (??) and I proceeded to cut the conversation short.

The next day I got an alert that they reposted the role. Ah, I thought to myself, I'm glad they fixed the language.

They did not fix the language.

Apply again.

ZeGoggles
Jun 6, 2022
My season of discontent is finally over. I accepted a job offer at a competitor for more money and better benefits. 0/10 would not like to be unemployed again.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

In the middle of interviewing at one place, I got a message from another place that says they want to discuss an actual job offer

Hooray :confuoot:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

In the middle of interviewing at one place, I got a message from another place that says they want to discuss an actual job offer

Hooray :confuoot:

I have now a solid job offer, contingent on the company being awarded a government contract :ohdear:

But someone wants to hire me :toot:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I have now a solid job offer, contingent on the company being awarded a government contract :ohdear:

But someone wants to hire me :toot:

congrats!

but oh boy that is a big contingency, keep looking

its better than what lockmart and friends do which is hire you, put you on ice to do training videos, the fire you when they dont win the contract

but they might not win it, so keep applying

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Shoulda shown your phone to your interviewers

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

CarForumPoster posted:

congrats!

but oh boy that is a big contingency, keep looking

its better than what lockmart and friends do which is hire you, put you on ice to do training videos, the fire you when they dont win the contract

but they might not win it, so keep applying

They mentioned in the offer they won't know the status of the contract for a couple more months, so it's a potentially long time of me sitting on my rear end or a massive kick in the balls. The other contingency is passing a security clearance, but I'm the most boring person in the world so that shouldn't be too bad.

The interview process made it seem like the contract was already in hand, or maybe I misunderstood something. I dunno. Got a lot of thinking to do

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What kind of thinking? Say yes to them and keep looking, unless they are going to pay you to sit on the bench. If they aren't paying you you are under no obligation to them. The mantra of "If you take a job try to sit with it for x months" does not apply if you aren't getting a paycheck.

And getting a security clearance is a PIA even if you're boring. It's very opaque and completely arbitrary if it takes a while or not.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It's very likely assuming they win the contract they'll just have you start working while the security clearance goes through its process. The last time I went through that they started the process in December and it wasn't approved until June, but I was working the whole time

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

What kind of thinking? Say yes to them and keep looking, unless they are going to pay you to sit on the bench. If they aren't paying you you are under no obligation to them. The mantra of "If you take a job try to sit with it for x months" does not apply if you aren't getting a paycheck.

And getting a security clearance is a PIA even if you're boring. It's very opaque and completely arbitrary if it takes a while or not.

Agree with this.

A clearance isn’t a pia for you, but you don’t get to know anything. I got denied an interim secret and it took months to get my secret approved.

Getting a clearance is a big resume booster btw. It significantly serials you compared to those that don’t.

Hotel Kpro posted:

It's very likely assuming they win the contract they'll just have you start working while the security clearance goes through its process. The last time I went through that they started the process in December and it wasn't approved until June, but I was working the whole time

Maybe. Depends on the clearance. If he needs a TS and they find someone who already has one theres a good chance they’ll not hire him.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 6, 2024

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah in general unless you're worth a lot to some company they won't bother sponsoring a top secret, they'll just find someone who already has it and train them to do the job.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Getting a clearance is a big resume booster btw.

Big caveat that this really only applies in defense. No one outside of the defense industry gives a poo poo about your government clearance.

If that’s what you wanna do, great! But top secret work pretty much requires you to work in the most miserable work environments possible.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Top secret jobs are near military facilities. Not all of those are in the rear end-end of nowhere--there's plenty in DC, Colorado Springs or the Boston area--but you are constrained by where the bases are and that can rule out some of the better places to live.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

This particular job is regular secret and the company said they will work on the clearance process during the downtime, so I don't think I'm going to get a bait and switched with another person

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This particular job is regular secret and the company said they will work on the clearance process during the downtime, so I don't think I'm going to get a bait and switched with another person

Yeah but aren't they not going to start paying you for some period of time at all until this contract comes through? During that time they have absolutely no reason to keep you instead of someone else for any reason. The only thing you provide is a warm body, which has value but is extremely replaceable for any reason at all.

I mean, may as well agree I guess but don't consider yourself employed until you actually start getting paid and you should be actively trying to get another job. You can always tell these guys "Sorry I need to eat" if you find something else.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Top secret jobs are near military facilities. Not all of those are in the rear end-end of nowhere--there's plenty in DC, Colorado Springs or the Boston area--but you are constrained by where the bases are and that can rule out some of the better places to live.

There are plenty of TS jobs in regular places, but you’ll be stuck spending your days in a windowless room where you are forbidden from bringing in any sort of electronic device, which cuts you off from the rest of the world for eight hours a day. Some people really like it, but it is definitely the kind of thing you need you’re into before you accept the job. When I worked in that situation it was a very high turnover gig… a lot of people didn’t even make it into the closed areas before they bailed for a different job.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
OP is some kind of PhD chemist IIRC so a lot of the usual clearance stuff doesn’t necessarily apply

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ultrafilter posted:

I’ve seen plenty of TS jobs in places like the Bay Area, Denver and major cities in Florida. Lockheed, NG, etc were all desperate for TS people when I was in that sector and had TS jobs wherever they had major programs.

If you have a TS you prob don’t live in a tank, you’ll prob sit somewhere else. I worked on a gen secret program that had windows but yep no cell phones. Certainly that’s luck of the draw tho.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 7, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

So what's the polite way of telling Company A I have a legit offer from Company B and it would be really nice if Comp A made a decision soon

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

So what's the polite way of telling Company A I have a legit offer from Company B and it would be really nice if Comp A made a decision soon

The general truth is your friend - you have an offer from Company B but you prefer Company A's role / responsibilities / culture / mission more. If they want to move forward with your candidacy you need an offer before DAY which is a few days before your company B offer expires.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Here's my latest FAANG experience so far:
  • applied for job in December with trusty resume, never heard anything back
  • job posting still up in March, re-applied but added a period to my email address and submitted new version of my resume
  • got hr callback a couple of days later, set up hr screen for later in the week (Thursday)
  • hr screen went fine, set up call with hiring manager for following Monday
  • Monday call with hiring manager cancelled, asked for availability over next two weeks
  • hiring manager interview scheduled 3 weeks later
  • two hours before hiring manager interview, call is cancelled and rescheduled for following week at same time
So it's been almost a month and a half so far, still waiting to talk to that hiring manager.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

TheWevel posted:

[*] job posting still up in March, re-applied but added a period to my email address and submitted new version of my resume

lmao that a FAANG hiring process can be hacked by not sanitizing inputs for that

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

pmchem posted:

lmao that a FAANG hiring process can be hacked by not sanitizing inputs for that

it's entirely possible they're using the application i put in back in december, i haven't exactly asked them which resume version they're using.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.

TheWevel posted:

Here's my latest FAANG experience so far:
  • applied for job in December with trusty resume, never heard anything back
  • job posting still up in March, re-applied but added a period to my email address and submitted new version of my resume
  • got hr callback a couple of days later, set up hr screen for later in the week (Thursday)
  • hr screen went fine, set up call with hiring manager for following Monday
  • Monday call with hiring manager cancelled, asked for availability over next two weeks
  • hiring manager interview scheduled 3 weeks later
  • two hours before hiring manager interview, call is cancelled and rescheduled for following week at same time
So it's been almost a month and a half so far, still waiting to talk to that hiring manager.

You cold applied to a posting online without an internal referral and they responded? Just wondering if it actually works

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

You cold applied to a posting online without an internal referral and they responded? Just wondering if it actually works

Can confirm.

Can also confirm funkiness of process. I was called in two months after my original application had been archived under "not selected."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

All of my applications have been cold online and I've gotten a fair number of responses

I'm not in the FAANG market, so ymmv

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can confirm you can get a high-level position in a MANGA company with a cold application.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey uh what is with the enormous amount of job placement/headhunter companies that are just google searching the same opening off indeed and LinkedIn that I am searching out, where it is always a call from a voip number based out of New Jersey and it’s an Indian call center person pretending they have an American name?

It is constant and is super annoying

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Got the job with AWS. 70 days from initial contact from the hiring manager on LinkedIn to the email notifying me today. Should have the offer to go over with the senior recruiter tomorrow.

Took 9 months after graduating grad school to land a job. Hundreds of applications, many of them to Microsoft and Amazon since I live in Seattle.

This is just my personal experience with landing a job in a big tech company, but I'd recommend having a really good LinkedIn profile that gets noticed by a hiring manager or recruiter. Many of these roles are probably getting hundreds if not a thousand plus applications and it's tough to get noticed with just your resume. Cold applications didn't get me too far.

Once you've talked to the hiring manager the biggest hurdles are the "loop" interviews with 5 different people. I'll write more in a later post on how I prepared for these, but you need to be very good at answering STAR interview questions. Impress these people and even if they don't think you're a good fit for the role you initially interviewed for they may instead find you a different one, which is what happened to me. Initial role they thought was too technical for my experience, so they found me a role with the same title on a different team.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I knew I got this thread title change right. congrats!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
fyi aws usually culls new people on the team at the two year mark, so when you approach that time get ready to demonstrate performance

I’d start keeping track of visible, high-impact work as soon as you can.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

CarForumPoster posted:

I’ve seen plenty of TS jobs in places like the Bay Area, Denver and major cities in Florida. Lockheed, NG, etc were all desperate for TS people when I was in that sector and had TS jobs wherever they had major programs.

If you have a TS you prob don’t live in a tank, you’ll prob sit somewhere else. I worked on a gen secret program that had windows but yep no cell phones. Certainly that’s luck of the draw tho.

There’s plenty of TS positions with a day-to-day in normal-rear end offices in normal-rear end areas but highly sensitive work/meetings are in a SCIF or similar area.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Sorry if this isn't the best thread but are there any job search sites worth a drat nowadays? Any time I put something like analytical development into one of these sites I am getting a mixture of general contractor roles for housing developments or art director that needs to be analytical.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Sorry if this isn't the best thread but are there any job search sites worth a drat nowadays? Any time I put something like analytical development into one of these sites I am getting a mixture of general contractor roles for housing developments or art director that needs to be analytical.

I think LinkedIn is still the best. If you're not finding results by searching job title, try to find keywords that would be specific to the role that you want.

For example, when I was searching for "privacy engineer" titled jobs, I was finding a lot of compliance-related work which is not what I wanted. I got much better results when I started searching for "privacy by design" as that keyword does not commonly show up in compliance roles.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I almost exclusively used LinkedIn for finding jobs and then applied on company websites directly. Indeed seemed to have all of the same postings as LinkedIn so I stopped using it. Recruiters also only ever contacted me on LinkedIn.

Probably depends on the local job market as too which job board is better though.

Like 75% of my interviews were from recruiters contacting me directly, so I highly recommend reading up on how to make a great LinkedIn profile or pay someone to do it for you. I paid for a resume rewrite and a LinkedIn Profile rewrite and both helped me land the job at AWS.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
gently caress.

Me.

I was approached by commercial laboratory and offered a job. I’d be doing my own thing Monday to Friday, and would have my own workspace to play music or audiobooks while I work.

They need me to start when I’m on the other side of the planet on my literal first trip overseas so I can’t take the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Uh.

Postpone the trip maybe?

I mean I don't say that lightly but if it's exactly the job you want at a salary you like, you move heaven and earth to make it happen, in my extraordinarily humble opinion.