Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've got an internal recruiter who is doing his best to ghost me right now, after I got the job offer :psyduck:
Apparently wanting to clarify things about the contract and benefits is bad and I'm just supposed to sign and ignore that he lied to me about the salary that was going to be on it or something :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I just need a sense check here, ie: someone to tell me what I already know (suck it up and do nothing).

Two weeks ago an external recruiter got me an interview with the hiring manager that went very well, and later a skill assessment for which I got no feedback. Up until then she was extremely responsive (ie: writing back within minutes).

I waited a week and reached out to them for an update and now it’s been almost a week with no response.

Is there any point in reaching out to the HM directly or am I just burning bridges for essentially the same answer?

Gut instinct is that I’m waitlisted as they close on a better candidate and going around the system just makes me look like a whiny baby, but like maybe the external recruiter died and I’ll regret not reaching out?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Reaching out to the hiring manager once is ok, you might get a hint if the delay is due to external things (budget freeze/delay) or internal (looking for a better candidate/internal/CEO's nephew). Most likely you'll get no response. If you have reached out already to the HM, don't bother.

Either way, operate under the assumption they aren't going to get back to you.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.
I'm not sure if I asked this before and I'm sorry if I'm redundant, but does anyone have suggestions for podcasts / youtube videos that mimic real interviews?

I'm not looking so much for basic interview advice as I am just wanting to listen to interviews in order to get back into interview mode. But any resource that is good, is much appreciated.

I'm an accountant who's at manager level, so things to pertain to it would be even better. Thanks in advance for anyone that has suggestions.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwDmg74rhCw

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

lmao

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Personally I'm inspired by Peter's interviews in the film Office Space, but that probably isn't directly applicable

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Ok. I'm putting tentative steps into the external job market for the first time in a decade.

My team is great. My manager is decent, but kinda distracted most of the time and I get the feeling he's looking for greener pastures too.

The job has the potential to be OK, but the combination of extremely erratic workflow, horrible to use systems, and being forced to be hybrid despite literally being the only person in my city who does my job or anything even remotely related to it is grating. Being in a meeting with an exec where he basically said people in situations like myself have a target in our backs even if we're following the rules doesn't make me feel great either.

My resume gets hits on LinkedIn and Indeed from recruiters. But it's weird what I get hit up for. I have no idea how 7 years of call center work followed by nearly a decade of financial operations work with increasing responsibility followed by a year of loan operations translates to being the director of claims for a commercial trucking company or writing training manuals for a hospital system.

They're not horrible jobs. Not things I would necessarily leave my current job for (they either don't pay QUITE enough or want you in the office 5 days a week -- I prefer remote, am open to hybrid if I actually see my manager and co-workers in person, full in office is generally a no unless we're talking six figure base salary minimum), but not terrible.

Meanwhile, putting in anything myself in my current field that I am totally qualified for is just basically like shooting blanks into a void. I can tick off every single qualification and licensure needed, and just get a "no thanks!"

Is this normal now? I've never had anyone actually go after me for a job that I wasn't instantly convinced was completely awful.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I think this job market in general just isn't good at all for white collar workers. Took me 10 months to find a job. Everyone else I know that's also looking for new jobs has had the same experience.

Referrals or a good LinkedIn profile that gets recruiters attention I think are your best bets. Most of my interviews came from recruiters messaging me on LinkedIn and it's also how I landed my current job.

This job search experience has really reinforced my intent to keep on networking with people, I never again want to have to spend the better part of a year to find a job. Especially with all the layoffs recently, I know I can't expect any kind of job security.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Goons, if I am applying for a job and writing a cover letter, - how do I acknowledge my current role that I've been in for a touch less than 6 months?

Do I say "I'm currently employed in the role of [thing] in which I have [achieved thing]" and leave it at that? Or do I need to get a loud speaker to call out the elephant in the room?

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Chewbecca posted:

Goons, if I am applying for a job and writing a cover letter, - how do I acknowledge my current role that I've been in for a touch less than 6 months?

Do I say "I'm currently employed in the role of [thing] in which I have [achieved thing]" and leave it at that? Or do I need to get a loud speaker to call out the elephant in the room?

I probably wouldn't, as you're just repeating what's in your CV. If you have a relevant achievement to talk to, you could phrase your language around "Most recently I have successfully delivered ___ for XXX company which resulted in ____". So consider how relevant the role you're currently in, and its achievements, is to the one you're applying for.

When I was in your position and applying for new roles after 3 months, I didn't reference my current role title and achievements in the cover letter but that's because it was really different to where I wanted to go (and why I was applying for new roles). I did mention the name of the company but that's because the sector was the same and it added weight to my experience.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Jumpsuit posted:

I probably wouldn't, as you're just repeating what's in your CV. If you have a relevant achievement to talk to, you could phrase your language around "Most recently I have successfully delivered ___ for XXX company which resulted in ____". So consider how relevant the role you're currently in, and its achievements, is to the one you're applying for.

When I was in your position and applying for new roles after 3 months, I didn't reference my current role title and achievements in the cover letter but that's because it was really different to where I wanted to go (and why I was applying for new roles). I did mention the name of the company but that's because the sector was the same and it added weight to my experience.

Cool, thank you. The roles are the same except this new one hopefully is a less toxic environment. I'll list off some achievements but I won't specifically call out timelines or anything. It will be in my CV so it isn't like I'm hiding it

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Mustang posted:

I think this job market in general just isn't good at all for white collar workers. Took me 10 months to find a job. Everyone else I know that's also looking for new jobs has had the same experience.

Referrals or a good LinkedIn profile that gets recruiters attention I think are your best bets. Most of my interviews came from recruiters messaging me on LinkedIn and it's also how I landed my current job.

This job search experience has really reinforced my intent to keep on networking with people, I never again want to have to spend the better part of a year to find a job. Especially with all the layoffs recently, I know I can't expect any kind of job security.

I find it funny.

A friend of mine was doing drug treatment counseling for the county. It was a pretty terrible experience, and they let him go after about 6 months for pretty spurious reasons.

I knew he wanted to stay in the field, but let him know that if he gets into a situation where he just needs a job, let me know and I'd put in a good word for him. He does have experience in my field, so I'm fine with helping him out.

He took a few weeks off, started sending out his resume. He had 5 interviews in three days. Walked out of one of them because the interviewer was late.

Meanwhile, my partner got a new job by basically being mean to the HR rep. He put in for a position, was systematically declined the same day.

They kept sending him job opportunities, until he finally got angry and sent them an email saying "You already turned me down. Stop sending me spam. If you're truly interested, I believe my resume speaks for itself.

An HR rep got back to him, said they liked his resume, and set up an initial interview the next day. The day after he interviewed with another manager and was hired on the spot for a 25% raise over his old job.

Note to self: either be a jerk or become a counselor.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

I'm not sure if I asked this before and I'm sorry if I'm redundant, but does anyone have suggestions for podcasts / youtube videos that mimic real interviews?

I had luck with "interview and feedback session for X position" on YouTube, but I'm watching portfolio reviews and interviews from some top design companies. A lot of what I have found is geared towards entry-level but it's still a nice refresher.

Or try to find people with some creds doing STAR videos too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For those that have been laid off, especially in the last year, how was your mental state? How did/are you doing? Myself and my team were just laid off this last week and i'm freaking the gently caress out about it.

I was with my company for 8 years, and I don't know where to look either. I did fraud, counterfeit, and risky behavior investigations in the online retail space. These roles at the company I worked at (it should be pretty obvious who, they are gigantic) is downsizing these roles in favor of automation. Said automation is really inaccurate and makes so many bad decisions. :(

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm gonna assume either PayPal or Shopify and either is :ohdear:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
That really sucks, but if it helps I see job postings for those kinds of roles all the time. I doubt you or your team will be unemployed for long.

When I was job searching a couple of years ago it just helped to stay active so that looking for job wasn’t the only thing I thought about

Also really drill down on your resume, identify what makes your a desirable candidate and emphasize that. My resume got “better” each week. For better or worse you have time now, so use it to customize it to the roles you’re applying to. This also helps you to actually be able to talk about your experiences when the interview start, instead of having to surface really old memories in the middle of a high stress situation.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 6, 2024

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Yo!

I got an email asking for my availability for a phone interview. I replied the next day and am waiting to hear back, it’s been a week. How long should I wait before emailing again in case it’s fallen through somewhere?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Extra row of tits posted:

Yo!

I got an email asking for my availability for a phone interview. I replied the next day and am waiting to hear back, it’s been a week. How long should I wait before emailing again in case it’s fallen through somewhere?

I reckon it's more than appropriate to follow up if it's been 5 business days, unless they provided a longer timeframe when you first talked to them

That's my personal rule of thumb anyway

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I was with my company for 8 years, and I don't know where to look either. I did fraud, counterfeit, and risky behavior investigations in the online retail space. These roles at the company I worked at (it should be pretty obvious who, they are gigantic) is downsizing these roles in favor of automation. Said automation is really inaccurate and makes so many bad decisions. :(

Banks. Large retailers. Money transfer companies. Brokerage firms. It's where I am looking right now.

It's a brutal space at the moment. It doesn't make companies money directly, so it's one of the first things to get cut when they want to goose next quarters profits. Anything even halfway OK is going to have hundreds of applicants.

The silver lining is that I have never once seen automation actually reduce staff in these fields long term. Criminals keep coming up with new scams to get around the automation, and companies are trying to build it on top of lovely database systems from the 1970's that will probably never go away,

There's also a fair amount of contractor/temp work in the space as companies randomly need people to put out their fires. If you get to the point where you just need a job to pay the rent, it's an OK option.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

I said come in! posted:

For those that have been laid off, especially in the last year, how was your mental state? How did/are you doing? Myself and my team were just laid off this last week and i'm freaking the gently caress out about it.

UX designer here. Mid to senior level with 8 years in industry.

I’m still looking and was laid off June 2023, but I took 6 months off before I started really searching. I was lucky as they gave me 3 months wages and medical, and I had just cashed in my ESPP, so with my emergency fund and being eligible for unemployment I am still financially in a great place. This was my first month actually pulling from my savings.

Mentally I was low enough to consider a new career but now I’m settling into wanting to go back into it. I’m learning some new skills and taking some cert classes in topics that interest me. I was burned the gently caress out so the year off has been fantastic. I’m so much healthier, even getting back into an exercise routine. I had some early luck in my search and I’m getting about 2 interview call backs a month. I would say I officially started looking in January this year.

I did some resume reviews by outside help, portfolio reviews by outside help, many revisions. This most recent one I’m finally getting out to try and have re-done my portfolio 3x. I also paid for a cover letter cause I’m terrible at those and I’m pretty happy with what I got. Trying it out now.

Currently in the interview pipeline with a startup a former colleague is gunning for me internally, and have one out waiting for review (city govt) plus just had a friend refer someone directly to me Friday. Work your LinkedIn search and try to find the hiring manager for the role and send them your resume directly. I have gotten a few screeners this way, or someone in your industry plus your city that works at the place.

What’s been the most depressing is seeing jobs pop up overseas in low cost of living countries. Timing is everything as roles get several hundred applicants so you need to be first 30. A lot go up at 5-6pm EOD in Mondays and Fridays.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 6, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

blackmet posted:

Banks. Large retailers. Money transfer companies. Brokerage firms. It's where I am looking right now.

I have a interview tomorrow with a credit union, and then on Thursday with a company that does payment processing. :toot:

Question though! For the payment processor; I saw a customer of theirs on LinkedIn complain about poor customer service and how their account was blocked. Would it be out of line for me to use this as a way to explain how my role at my previous employer was doing a lot of work to investigate why legitimate customers ran into pain points, bad experiences, and fell through the cracks and to come up with data to show how we can help mitigate that in the future? So like "I saw this customer sharing a bad experience about your company, my role at my previous company would have me looking further into this and this is how I would go about doing it..."

Would that be really out of line and rude?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I have a interview tomorrow with a credit union, and then on Thursday with a company that does payment processing. :toot:

Question though! For the payment processor; I saw a customer of theirs on LinkedIn complain about poor customer service and how their account was blocked. Would it be out of line for me to use this as a way to explain how my role at my previous employer was doing a lot of work to investigate why legitimate customers ran into pain points, bad experiences, and fell through the cracks and to come up with data to show how we can help mitigate that in the future? So like "I saw this customer sharing a bad experience about your company, my role at my previous company would have me looking further into this and this is how I would go about doing it..."

Would that be really out of line and rude?

I would lean more towards finding a way to say "I prevent bad customer experiences by XYZ," than "YOU have bad customer service and I'd do XYZ to prevent it."

Other option would be to mildly lie and say "I was notified by my manager that a person had a bad experience with our company similar to what happened on LinkedIn and I fixed it/prevent it in the future by doing XYZ."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

blackmet posted:

I would lean more towards finding a way to say "I prevent bad customer experiences by XYZ," than "YOU have bad customer service and I'd do XYZ to prevent it."

Other option would be to mildly lie and say "I was notified by my manager that a person had a bad experience with our company similar to what happened on LinkedIn and I fixed it/prevent it in the future by doing XYZ."

Thank you! This is great advice. One time I was handed a project similar to this, manager was like "we received a bunch of these escalations (glorified e-mails basically from customers bypassing the standard customer support) to upper management from customers, can you please look into this and figure out what is going on?"

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Jfc at this recruiter telling me that they’re super happy with me and want to move forward but it’s a “slow process” and “they might not make a decision until end of June” and “can you wait before taking another role”.

I’m not going to pass another role for something that might happen in two months wtf are you talking about

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

dpkg chopra posted:

Jfc at this recruiter telling me that they’re super happy with me and want to move forward but it’s a “slow process” and “they might not make a decision until end of June” and “can you wait before taking another role”.

I’m not going to pass another role for something that might happen in two months wtf are you talking about

lol at the loving audacity

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

dpkg chopra posted:

I got told that a place wanted to hire me with a start date two months out when I had one week's notice, and I told them that was fine.

I also kept interviewing and used that offer to hustle other places to make decisions fast.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

dpkg chopra posted:

they can take a roll up on deez nuts

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

cheese eats mouse posted:

I did some resume reviews by outside help, portfolio reviews by outside help, many revisions. This most recent one I’m finally getting out to try and have re-done my portfolio 3x. I also paid for a cover letter cause I’m terrible at those and I’m pretty happy with what I got. Trying it out now.

Currently in the interview pipeline with a startup a former colleague is gunning for me internally, and have one out waiting for review (city govt) plus just had a friend refer someone directly to me Friday. Work your LinkedIn search and try to find the hiring manager for the role and send them your resume directly. I have gotten a few screeners this way, or someone in your industry plus your city that works at the place.
I'm cheering for you from my arguable entry to mid to senior level UX designer experience over here! I really hope one of your leads pans out.

I've not had any luck with contacting hiring managers recently. It may just be an issue of my portfolio not adequately showing my skill set (doing a consultation on that today) or my LinkedIn profile needing another rewrite, but I'm curious what kind of messages you all write when contacting hiring managers directly. I try to keep it brief, but maybe I should include a snippet from my elevator pitch?

I said come in! posted:

The initial shock hurt badly. Went through all the stages of grief a few times over. I took a break from jobs and hunting for 3-ish months—and by that I mean, I collapsed into depression and became entirely apathetic. People who get laid off often fall into two camps: the anticipator, and the blindsided. I anticipated it, felt completely burnt out after over a year of no real vacation, and couldn't keep pushing once the axe fell.

If someone's been laid off and can at all afford to take a break, I recommend it. That doesn't mean you have to 100% drop from the job search or ghost recruiters with good opportunities, so much as shift your priorities to caring for yourself for a bit. That being said, I know what it's like to need a job yesterday, too. Regardless of how you get laid off and how urgent your needs are, just know you're extremely not alone and the "oh poo poo gently caress" reaction is 1000% normal.

All of this is to say, I went from despair to apathy to my current "determined and re-energized." I need a new job! It's not a great feeling! But it doesn't hurt like it did six months ago. I hope that you don't need to wait for a job any longer than you want to, but if not, keep looking at ways to refresh your resume and connect to your network.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Magnetic North posted:

Euphemism time. How would you say, "My current place is a loving shitshow" in Interview Speak?

Quoting self. Things settled down for a while, but have since become "potentially quit without notice" bad. Oh well. gently caress my life, I guess.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Kind of a two parter: When is the best time to mention a job's title is too low for you to accept the position? I have always done it during the first phone interview, because if I will not take the job if it is not moved, why waste their time and mine going forward in the process if they will not move it. I can also see the logic of if you get the whole way through and they really like you, they might have more incentive to bump it up because you are the candidate that they want to hire, compared with just some random person on the phone when they are talking to 5 more people that day. Also, is it a faux pas to inquire about a role that is not the one they are interviewing you for since it makes you look less interested? The company that I am talking to about the role that is too low has one at a more appropriate level, but I did not hear back from that application.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It depends, and mostly on how you value your time vs a new position.

In general, it's most likely best to go through as much of the interview process as possible to get them to fall in love and leverage sunk cost to make those kinds of demands. Someone is more likely to bend on title after going through the whole process.

If you do it early, you'll more likely get a no, but you'll get it early.

I'd say for most people while interviewing is a pain it's worth to go through more of that pain to get the role/compensation/title you want, so don't draw lines in the sand right away (coyly hinting to soften isn't a bad idea though).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think it's also important to evaluate the likelihood of your potential future employer actually responding to your demands. Is this an organization and industry that is likely to be strict with titling and tie it to comp? If so, it's unlikely they will be willing to make an adjustment. Is the title a major change? Eg titling from Manager to Senior Manager or Junior Idiot to Senior Idiot is probably not such a big deal. If you want them to re-title a Manager role as a Director that's likely a bigger ask.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think it's also important to evaluate the likelihood of your potential future employer actually responding to your demands. Is this an organization and industry that is likely to be strict with titling and tie it to comp? If so, it's unlikely they will be willing to make an adjustment. Is the title a major change? Eg titling from Manager to Senior Manager or Junior Idiot to Senior Idiot is probably not such a big deal. If you want them to re-title a Manager role as a Director that's likely a bigger ask.

Based on the companies job descriptions they look less strict than most, but I am not sure how that is in practice. I would say the title adjustment is in-between those options, more than a junior to a senior, but less than a full tier of responsibility change. I have had a title ~ 2 levels higher than the one that was offered for a few years and the job is asking for a minimum of 5 years of directly related experience and I am almost at 20 years, so I am hoping they will not be surprised if I ask not to be at the title I was at 10 years ago, but you never know (or you never know if the recruiter actually read your resume).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sounds like they may be hoping to snag a really experienced person for cheap, so you might find they'll happily give you the title but screw you on pay.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

One thing that I've tried is pitching the benefits of the title change to the company. For example, if the role is client facing, would a more senior title let you be billed out at a higher rate? Or if you are expected to influence the organisation at a certain scale, would the title help you do that?

I've never been successful at this but it could be a matter of leverage-- you'll never have better leverage than at the offer stage.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

My current title is Senior Chemist, which rules because I'm not senior at all

speaking of which, a couple weeks ago I sent the company some info needed to start a security clearance, only for me to find out today they could not open the document and forgot to tell me about it :negative:

two weeks down the drain

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 7, 2024

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

My current title is Senior Chemist, which rules because I'm not senior at all

it’s actually señor chemist

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I had two more opportunities drop into my lap, so 5 are happening. 4 are early and I’m in the middle of a take home challenge for 1. Nice to see a leak in the dam.

Will be 1 year unemployed in June, but I did take some time off to recover from burn out.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Posting again from the Newb Career Advice thread:

I'd been in music and coffee shop gigs all my life until COVID. I learned to code, did a 6-month bootcamp at UCONN, and my instructor hired me at his company, which is Fortune 500, straight out of it. I started in April 2022. It's been 2 years and I have been promoted twice and am now a Tech Lead for our Innovation team (have you guys heard of imposter syndrome?).

I have had this rocket strapped on me because, I think, of 4 things I have always seemed to be good at: being pro-active in taking on more responsibility, following/standardizing/improving processes, mentoring my peers, and being vocal and charismatic. I also have a great boss who believes in me and puts me in positions to try things out, and failure is just a learning experience, etc.

Here's the meat of my post. I'm starting to get interested in exploring different opportunities. I like my current job enough but why not look to see what else I can get? Well, I am nervous.

I got lucky with my job because my instructor loved me and made the hiring process extremely easy. I am not a great coder. I will figure something out if you ask me to and I have attention to detail, but I also wrote my first line of code only 3 years ago. I hate / am miserable at algorithms and generally forget everything I know when put on the spot. I'm a rambling speaker who is bad at boiling concepts down to a concise core and am under the impression that I will be unable to get through any round of interviews with a company that would pay me more than I make now because of these things.

Am I alone in feeling that the interview process, especially for a tech lead role, is punishing for people like me and would at the very least require a full-time job's worth of time to do interview prep, which I am not going to be able to manage right now? Is all of this really just imposter syndrome?