Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Chalets the Baka posted:

I had a really good interview last week, and I have one more this week with the CIO of the organization. It's for an entry level position in a fairly large organization and the interview is expected to be short. What should I expect interviewing with an executive officer? Will it be any different than a typical interviewand should I be preparing for it any differently? If so, how should I prepare and what kind of questions should I be asking?

You're at final cull. Long as you make a good impression and don't act like a gently caress up, you're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

Always use serifed fonts for the body of a resume, especially if the text is justified (and it drat well better be :)). Sans serif fonts are only for headings and the like.

Yeah, but using like, Times New Roman or Cambria doesn't, to me, look as nice.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Yeah, but using like, Times New Roman or Cambria doesn't, to me, look as nice.

It isn't so much about looking nice as it is about readability. Serifed fonts scan more easily because the serif (or 'foot') guides the eye along the line of text. If you don't like Cambria or Times, just pick something else that represents how professional you'd want to appear. MS Word has plenty of eligible examples, and choosing a proper font is actually not as spergy as you might think it would be.

If you don't want to delve into that aspect, the standard serifed fonts are more than acceptable. The bottom line is that a font without a serif will cause people to gloss over the text if they're reading quickly. Kind of like when you're reading a book and get through several pages before you realize that you have no idea or ability to recall just what the hell you've been reading for the last couple pages.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Bisty Q. posted:

Please don't post your resume in here asking for feedback, unless you promise you have followed everything above. 99% of resume feedback could be an index card with the stuff I posted on it.

You do not accept PMs.

I definitely agree that most goons seeking a resume critique would be better served watching the thread and reading all of the great information already posted. However, it is one thing to read about a good resume compared to actually seeing the mistakes on paper through resume critiques. The last thread worked so well because people would post and critique each others resumes and CVs. I think we should continue doing so in this thread.

If you or others agree, would you mind editing the O.P. so readers are aware that posting their resume for critique by other Goons is encouraged?

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
2 somewhat related questions from the question about extensions on the last page...

I have 4 very promising prospects. They seem to be very similar positions with what I exepct will be nearly identical compensation packages. I have one at this moment in mind that I would chose if they were all equal, but all are viable.

Assuming one of them decides I'm the one for them and offers me a job and I can kick it out 72 hours to a week, how do I handle the other side of that?

1) When and how do I tell the others what's up? How is the best way to communicate this? If I find out I am to receive a written offer, is that when I tell them I have received an offer? Do I wait until I have it in writing? Do I tell them the deadline/offer details? (I.e. Someone else just offered me X, I asked for 3 days so I could meet with you?)

2) Assuming I get two fairly identical offers how kosher is it to ask the preferred one to up their offer based on another? What is a good way to say this that isn't offensive? Is it offensive to give the other company a chance to match? Should I ask them both for 'best offer' simultaneously to not seem like a dick? From a scheduling interviews perspective, ideally I'd like my second choice to offer first... right?

This makes me feel really dirty, but after working for the government for years I have 1) no practice at this, and 2) a fairly in demand set of skills, 3) have been dramatically underpaid. I know that this will set my rate for several years to come and I want to know the best way to maximize the opportunity without ticking off anybody (especially the one I eventually chose.)

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Maybe a dumb question, but when places ask you to send your resume in an email, are you supposed to attach it as a document or copy / paste it into the email itself? I've seen some ask for both ways specifically and so obviously I do what they ask, but for ones that don't specify I'm not sure if there is a "standard" way to do it. I'm always worried someone will refuse to open an attachment because they are scared of viruses or something, and just decide to toss out my resume instead.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Honey Badger posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but when places ask you to send your resume in an email, are you supposed to attach it as a document or copy / paste it into the email itself? I've seen some ask for both ways specifically and so obviously I do what they ask, but for ones that don't specify I'm not sure if there is a "standard" way to do it. I'm always worried someone will refuse to open an attachment because they are scared of viruses or something, and just decide to toss out my resume instead.

Attach. I deal with a metric shitton of documents and emails every day at work, and nobody sane puts substantial stuff in the body of an email; the formatting is almost guaranteed to go to poo poo.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
So you just prefer an empty email with 2 attachments?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A quick message in the body, hello, please find attached my résumé for the position of X. Maybe a summary of qualifications or something, or the text of your cover letter if its short and simple.

Enough information that a secretary can route it to the proper desk.

nuthje
Jul 25, 2006
I've got a job for a couple of months processing not all that complicated data in Excel so it properly fits into a new fancy SAP-database. This is my first foray into anything IT-ish. It isn't anything special, except for the employer, which is one of the biggest globally renown companies in my country, so I do want to mention it, especially for international applications. How do I best describe this? Thus far I'm at:

IT, company_name
Supporting the transition to a centralized SAP-database. Responsible for the proper processing of vendor and customer contacts to fit the new system.

Is that enough or does it need something more?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What was your title? Dates of employment?

nuthje
Jul 25, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

What was your title? Dates of employment?
Just started, probably until October, with a possibility for renewal, but that's TBD. Title's are vague here because nobody cares, which is very annoying when writing a CV/Resume, which indeed is half of my predicament.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

nuthje posted:

Just started, probably until October, with a possibility for renewal, but that's TBD. Title's are vague here because nobody cares, which is very annoying when writing a CV/Resume, which indeed is half of my predicament.

What does it say for position on your pay stub? As for dates, it's July 2013 - Present (Contract work) or something like that.

nuthje
Jul 25, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

What does it say for position on your pay stub? As for dates, it's July 2013 - Present (Contract work) or something like that.
Just checked my pay stub/contract, it says "Excel employee", which is a very succinct description of what I do (and 70% of the workforce probably) but it lacks finesse. Or am I just being a baby and is "Excel employee" not as lovely sounding as I think it is?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It sounds an awful lot like "Data entry". What's everyone else opinion on this, would "Clerical worker" or something like that work?

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Wade in the water, Children, Wade in the water
In my hunt to switch career fields, I've taken up multiple pro-bono marketing work for a couple of different events around town. Since I've volunteered marketing/social media skills for 4-5 events within the past 6 months, what is the best way to reflect this on a resume? Do I count it as "freelance" and summarize the overall tasks that I accomplished? It seems like an awful lot to list individually, but sometimes I think "Freelance" work gets brushed off on resumes.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
What's the consensus on objectives or summaries being on your resume? I remember hearing it's a waste of space, but I'm going through a resume work book and they suggest putting one in.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

StarSiren posted:

In my hunt to switch career fields, I've taken up multiple pro-bono marketing work for a couple of different events around town. Since I've volunteered marketing/social media skills for 4-5 events within the past 6 months, what is the best way to reflect this on a resume? Do I count it as "freelance" and summarize the overall tasks that I accomplished? It seems like an awful lot to list individually, but sometimes I think "Freelance" work gets brushed off on resumes.

Can you list it as charity work?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nobody cares about your objectives, but I'm a big fan of the summary of qualifications or whatever you wanna call it. You know what they're looking for, put it up front. They're gonna look at your resume for what, ten seconds? Make it an efficient ten seconds. Don't make them look under the second employer down for that AutoCAD experience or whatever. Plus it's a good spot to stick those somewhat-relevant bits and pieces like language skills or whatever.

Of course I live in Canada where we get a whooping two pages, so you know, your mileage may vary.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Nocheez posted:

Can you list it as charity work?

Yeah there's a few ways to do it.

You can categorize it all under freelance.

You can list each event you've done as a separate job.

You can list it under volunteer/charity work.

I'd say list it separately if you were doing ongoing work for these events, like over a longer time period or if you did more than one event for an organization, otherwise categorize it as freelance. Volunteer work is nice to see on a resume, but it sounds like you're trying to showcase your experience, so I wouldn't put it under that header.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I've been trying not to get discouraged.

The first interview that I had earlier last month was rough, as it was my first interview for a non-food service/retail position. It was an hour long and I was passed to multiple people, and I was very nervous. They never got back to me, despite my follow up email. I had an interview last week at a hotel that I thought went REALLY well, but they took the job listing off of their website and I haven't heard anything. I'm thinking about calling them, but I'm unsure. I just got off the phone today for another interview for a front desk at a vet clinic, which is next week. I was really awkward on the phone, it happens sometimes, my voice went too high in some parts and I felt the pacing of the conversation was weird. Not really the best first impression I could have made. I'm just on edge all the time, I'm watching my savings run out as a look for work and every interview is a mixture of me being hopeful and defeated. I always seem to find a way to make a mistake, whether it's being nervous or not being able to control the pitch of my voice for whatever reason like today. I've spent the last decade getting my jobs on the spot because they were food service jobs, and that's how those interviews worked, but now that I'm trying to get into different types of employment I find myself feeling like a fish out of water a lot of the time. Hopefully this interview will go well next week.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mondlicht posted:

I've been trying not to get discouraged.

The first interview that I had earlier last month was rough, as it was my first interview for a non-food service/retail position. It was an hour long and I was passed to multiple people, and I was very nervous. They never got back to me, despite my follow up email. I had an interview last week at a hotel that I thought went REALLY well, but they took the job listing off of their website and I haven't heard anything. I'm thinking about calling them, but I'm unsure. I just got off the phone today for another interview for a front desk at a vet clinic, which is next week. I was really awkward on the phone, it happens sometimes, my voice went too high in some parts and I felt the pacing of the conversation was weird. Not really the best first impression I could have made. I'm just on edge all the time, I'm watching my savings run out as a look for work and every interview is a mixture of me being hopeful and defeated. I always seem to find a way to make a mistake, whether it's being nervous or not being able to control the pitch of my voice for whatever reason like today. I've spent the last decade getting my jobs on the spot because they were food service jobs, and that's how those interviews worked, but now that I'm trying to get into different types of employment I find myself feeling like a fish out of water a lot of the time. Hopefully this interview will go well next week.

a) Relax. I know it's hard, but you need to relax.
b) Stop thinking about how you sound and the pacing of the conversation. Concentrate on what you're saying, what the interviewer is asking and where you want to take the conversation. You can think for a few seconds before answering a question (Remember that you're nervous, so time flows a lot slower than you feel like it does).

It's not an exam, they're not judging you as a person - they want to know if you know what you're on about and if you'd be a good fit for the team. Take a deep breath before you go in, forget about your savings for the duration of the interview and knock 'em out. It'll work out in the end.

And remember, you might not want the job. A lot of them suck pretty hard.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

FrozenVent posted:

a) Relax. I know it's hard, but you need to relax.
b) Stop thinking about how you sound and the pacing of the conversation. Concentrate on what you're saying, what the interviewer is asking and where you want to take the conversation. You can think for a few seconds before answering a question (Remember that you're nervous, so time flows a lot slower than you feel like it does).

It's not an exam, they're not judging you as a person - they want to know if you know what you're on about and if you'd be a good fit for the team. Take a deep breath before you go in, forget about your savings for the duration of the interview and knock 'em out. It'll work out in the end.

And remember, you might not want the job. A lot of them suck pretty hard.

I do better in person than I do over the phone, generally. Sometimes I'm great over the phone, but this morning I felt like the conversation was a mess. I mean, I got the interview, but still. Like I said, I thought the hotel interview went great. I didn't over think it before hand and get myself worked up, and that was a benefit. I agonized over my first interview I mentioned because it was a company/position that I really wanted and knew I was under qualified for, and it was the first interview I'd ever had for any kind of clerical work. So I can tell first hand that being a crazy nervous wreck before an interview didn't help at all, but it's still hard not to be a little on edge. I know a lot of unemployed people are in the same position, feeling like every job interview could be the one to keep you from starving. It's a lot of pressure, but yeah, gotta put it aside for the interview as hard as it can be sometimes. :(

The "time going slower" thing is something I should try and remember, too. Makes sense, but it's not something you really think about happening.

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 2, 2013

trmarkel
Dec 17, 2008
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to critique my resume. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wtwn7zo1fkr771/Goonsume.doc

Taking advice from the threads, I switched from a duty based resume, to an accomplishment based resume. This is what I have so far. Of course I'll probably spend the rest of the day tweaking it, and customize it for each job, just want to know if I'm on the right track.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

trmarkel posted:

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to critique my resume. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wtwn7zo1fkr771/Goonsume.doc

Taking advice from the threads, I switched from a duty based resume, to an accomplishment based resume. This is what I have so far. Of course I'll probably spend the rest of the day tweaking it, and customize it for each job, just want to know if I'm on the right track.

I did a VERY basic critique mostly of the organization. The content is okay, but the wording needs a lot of improvement. Though I did not really touch on any of that in this review. Hopefully you can see my comments to improve the organization and content throughout. I hope this helps.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

trmarkel
Dec 17, 2008

DustingDuvet posted:

I did a VERY basic critique mostly of the organization. The content is okay, but the wording needs a lot of improvement. Though I did not really touch on any of that in this review. Hopefully you can see my comments to improve the organization and content throughout. I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the review. I saw a resume building guide that suggested having an accomplishments section, but it makes sense to put it under the jobs where it was performed instead. I'll definitely work on the wording as well. It usually takes me several tries before I get it to where I like it.

kells
Mar 19, 2009
I've resigned from my current job due to excessive workloads, stress, forced (unpaid) overtime... Basically just bad working conditions.

I know its better to have a job while you're job searching but the role was really taking its toll on my health. My CV (resume... I'm Australian) usually starts off with 'I currently work at x doing y' but as of Friday that won't be correct any more. Any ideas of what I should put?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/55ilpk2v8xmqo48/kells.docx

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mondlicht posted:

It's a lot of pressure, but yeah, gotta put it aside for the interview as hard as it can be sometimes. :(
While this might not make you feel better, hopefully it will do something for you--keep in mind that people who interview well but whose qualifications never get them interviews are have it harder :) If you are good enough for the interview, you are good enough for the job. Or at least you can tell yourself that, as it very well may be true.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
If I've scored very well on a standardized test (GRE), should I include it to talk myself up as much as possible, or does it come off as assholish?

quote:

• Excellent at comprehending and communicating complex concepts in writing ([Scores here].)

I feel like I should include it because it's some kind of objective (not really, I know) backup of my claims and my resume is a little thin otherwise, but I feel that I come off as an arrogant jerk having it in there. Should I take it out? This is for my "Base" resume, not for any specific job.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 3, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nobody in the real world cares about test scores, see the discussion above about GPA.

Isn't the GRE an admission test for grad school? The employer cares that you've been to and graduated grad school. They don't care about your entry score.

Would you put your SAT scores on there?

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

themrguy posted:

If I've scored very well on a standardized test (GRE), should I include it to talk myself up as much as possible, or does it come off as assholish?

I am not an expert but I would laugh if I was asked to select intern candidates and saw that. It's okay to say you have great written communication skills but a GRE isn't the way to prove it. Isn't the writing portion computer scored anyway?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Is it a really bad idea to just show up at a place I'm particularly interested in working? I'm just out of school (computer science), with a pretty thin resume, so I haven't exactly gotten a great response to my initial round of (online) applications (including to this company). This company isn't a particularly prestigious destination, but they branched off from a company I know is good, and the job description really fits me perfectly.

EDIT: If it's not a really bad idea, how should I approach it? Should I be wearing a suit? Ask to talk to the recruiter for this job? Or should it just be a more casual "just checking out the environment" kind of visit?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 3, 2013

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

Is it a really bad idea to just show up at a place I'm particularly interested in working? I'm just out of school (computer science), with a pretty thin resume, so I haven't exactly gotten a great response to my initial round of (online) applications (including to this company). This company isn't a particularly prestigious destination, but they branched off from a company I know is good, and the job description really fits me perfectly.

EDIT: If it's not a really bad idea, how should I approach it? Should I be wearing a suit? Ask to talk to the recruiter for this job? Or should it just be a more casual "just checking out the environment" kind of visit?

It's a really, really bad idea. Seriously, do not do this. you're not going to stand out the way you think you will and there is a 99% chance they will just tell you to go away and apply online anyway. The only exceptions are hospitality, food service, and retail.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
Got an offer today for a job I'm really interested in. There's huge potential to compeltely overhaul the program and I would have a lot of creative control. It requires relocation to a city that is 8 hours away, but my wife and I really like it. Unfortunately, the offer is $0.83. Cost of living there (housing) is 11% more than where I currently am. My previous salary (from a job where I worked about a month) was ~$0.92 and the one before that ~$0.75. I would get a $0.10 signing bonus and they said they give about a 10% annual bonus. Obviously I can't count on the bonus. That's an earned outcome of being good at my job. Market value for this position is higher, but I have a difficult time justifying it. I'm currently in the final stages of some other interviews and I'm sure they will outbid - but they're in cities I don't want to live in.

Their rationale is $0.83 salary + $0.10 signing bonus (moving) + $0.08 (bonus) = $1.01! Great, huh? :v:

How should I present my case for this? This position is pretty high visibility and I DO want to work there... but how often do companies raise their offer by something like 15%? That barely gets me to break even with my last position (it doesn't). Should I come back with $1.00? Will they just laugh at me for that when they came in at $0.83?

I get paid in pennies, by the way.

Wagoneer fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 3, 2013

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

antiga posted:

I am not an expert but I would laugh if I was asked to select intern candidates and saw that. It's okay to say you have great written communication skills but a GRE isn't the way to prove it. Isn't the writing portion computer scored anyway?

Kinda, a person and computer both score it and if there scores disagree it gets sent for review. But thanks, I had a feeling it was gauche to include but wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving out a potential selling point. Is mentioning membership in academic honor societies similarly tacky?

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Crossposting from the entry level thread:

I just got done with my phone interview with an Urgent Care center. I stumbled a lot due to anxiety, but it wasn't really an interview. It was more of a "hey, I'm looking at your resume, since you did this, you could do this correct?" No generic questions about "Tell me about yourself" or "Tell me about a time..." So this may seem promising.

I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot when I told him that I needed to travel to help out my grandparents . I felt the need to tell him since I didn't want to bring it up in the middle of training. He said he was happy that I told about it though. But the outlook did seem promising since he said that he'll call me within a week to see if they can bring me in and to talk about salary. The odd thing about this interview was that I thought I was applying to be a receptionist so I was prepared to talk about communication, but instead he wanted me to be his assistant marketing manager. Which is something I could totally do.

Should I send a thank you email for a phone interview? The interview itself was very informal.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

themrguy posted:

Is mentioning membership in academic honor societies similarly tacky?

You should include those. You want to brag to some degree, but a standardized test isn't a good way to do it in my opinion. Too many bad things could be associated with listing it.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
^: No, don't mention honor societies. Use that line of your resume for more accomplishments.

(Exception: If you have nothing else to mention.)

Wagoneer posted:

Got an offer today for a job I'm really interested in. There's huge potential to compeltely overhaul the program and I would have a lot of creative control. It requires relocation to a city that is 8 hours away, but my wife and I really like it. Unfortunately, the offer is $0.83. Cost of living there (housing) is 11% more than where I currently am. My previous salary (from a job where I worked about a month) was ~$0.92 and the one before that ~$0.75. I would get a $0.10 signing bonus and they said they give about a 10% annual bonus. Obviously I can't count on the bonus. That's an earned outcome of being good at my job. Market value for this position is higher, but I have a difficult time justifying it. I'm currently in the final stages of some other interviews and I'm sure they will outbid - but they're in cities I don't want to live in.

Their rationale is $0.83 salary + $0.10 signing bonus (moving) + $0.08 (bonus) = $1.01! Great, huh? :v:

How should I present my case for this? This position is pretty high visibility and I DO want to work there... but how often do companies raise their offer by something like 15%? That barely gets me to break even with my last position (it doesn't). Should I come back with $1.00? Will they just laugh at me for that when they came in at $0.83?

I get paid in pennies, by the way.
Tell them it is a pay cut from your last position. Go back with $1 base (call it 'guaranteed recurring' if you want) and expect $0.90.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Bisty Q. posted:

^
(Exception: If you have nothing else to mention.)

This was my assumption since standardized test scores were on the table, but I should have been specific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Future potential boss told me I absolutely killed the interview and whispered to me 'amazing job'. The interview went to two hours and he brought in the person I would be replacing (she's moving away) and who would ultimately be training me and she seemed to like me as well. HR talked to me and said they'd call me sometime next week for a second interview. This is a good sign, right? It's my second interview ever with Starbucks being my first, of which I didn't even have a resume. :ohdear: