Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah that's amazingly positive. Don't celebrate or stop looking just yet, but you can allow yourself a contented smirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I found a job ad that seems interesting, but is sort of vague and I'd like more information before applying. The ad says to e-mail applications to the HR department, and to call person A or person B during two specific one-hour slots next week for more information. Those time slots are kind of inconvenient for me. Should I just e-mail A or B anyway (the company website says all e-mail addresses are firstname.lastname@company), or would that work against me since I'm not following instructions?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
You could call and during the conversation state that you have no availability during those posted hours.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Dead Pressed posted:

You could call and during the conversation state that you have no availability during those posted hours.

and expect them to tell you to screw off; there are too many people that can work around their hours. From what you've said of the job there's more than enough people who would work when they wanted.

Unfortunately, some lower level jobs are like this. :(

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

kells posted:

I've resigned from my current job due to excessive workloads, stress, forced (unpaid) overtime... Basically just bad working conditions.

I know its better to have a job while you're job searching but the role was really taking its toll on my health. My CV (resume... I'm Australian) usually starts off with 'I currently work at x doing y' but as of Friday that won't be correct any more. Any ideas of what I should put?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/55ilpk2v8xmqo48/kells.docx

I did a VERY basic critique mostly of the content. Hopefully you can understand the reasoning behind my comments and apply that to your entire resume. Good luck.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

I recently applied for my first "real" job. I wasn't expecting much to come of it, I just needed incentive to write a resume and start practicing for interviews. But I scored an interview and the panel was apparently very impressed with me. I didn't end up getting the job, I was beaten by someone with 25 years of experience, but now the Chief of Staff of the organization (who was on the panel) has requested a second meeting with me. I don't really know what to expect. Any ideas? Should I treat this like a second interview (suit, copies of resume/business card, etc.)?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Bisty Q. posted:

and expect them to tell you to screw off; there are too many people that can work around their hours. From what you've said of the job there's more than enough people who would work when they wanted.

Unfortunately, some lower level jobs are like this. :(

And if the do this just because of a phone off of two requested hours you don't want to work there anyways. There is no reason not to try...

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Ronald McReagan posted:

I recently applied for my first "real" job. I wasn't expecting much to come of it, I just needed incentive to write a resume and start practicing for interviews. But I scored an interview and the panel was apparently very impressed with me. I didn't end up getting the job, I was beaten by someone with 25 years of experience, but now the Chief of Staff of the organization (who was on the panel) has requested a second meeting with me. I don't really know what to expect. Any ideas? Should I treat this like a second interview (suit, copies of resume/business card, etc.)?

Since he was on the interview panel, he doesn't need your resume. Dress similarly to what he was wearing during your interview and be prepared to talk about what you're looking for and to ask him what they are looking for and what they need help with and try to see i there's a mutual match. You can prepare for this as if it were an 'informational interview', and if you google for that, you'll find some advice on what to say and what to do.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm looking for work with graphics and the local newspaper is looking for a graphic designer to work with Adobe Suite. (aka someone to do typesetting in ads) They specifically ask for people with Mac experience. I've used Photoshop forever and I've had 5 months of working with Indesign. I'm as computer literate as most goons and pick stuff up fast. At this point I'm telling the people at work "Did you know you can do this with (PS/InD)"

My first take on the Mac requirement is to question the intelligence of the person placing the ad. They want someone to run Adobe Suite and it SHOULD be the same cross platforms. Is there some secret to using a Mac that a long term PC user wouldn't know? How do I answer when they ask "How long have you used Macs?"

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Well, I looked up the e-mail address for one of the people mentioned in the ad, and e-mailed her. Got a very friendly response within 30 minutes. :unsmith:

It's a Media Researcher position at a large PR/media agency. Not something I have previous experience in, but it seems interesting. Time to write cover letter and fine-tune my resume!

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Had another interview, again have no idea how I feel about it. I don't know if I can contain how awkward I am in a tiny room with 3 people slinging questions at me, I at least made them laugh a bit? I don't know. I thought a previous interview went super well, but I didn't get a job offer, so who knows. :(

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

I'm looking for work with graphics and the local newspaper is looking for a graphic designer to work with Adobe Suite. (aka someone to do typesetting in ads) They specifically ask for people with Mac experience. I've used Photoshop forever and I've had 5 months of working with Indesign. I'm as computer literate as most goons and pick stuff up fast. At this point I'm telling the people at work "Did you know you can do this with (PS/InD)"

My first take on the Mac requirement is to question the intelligence of the person placing the ad. They want someone to run Adobe Suite and it SHOULD be the same cross platforms. Is there some secret to using a Mac that a long term PC user wouldn't know? How do I answer when they ask "How long have you used Macs?"

Just lie and say you know how to use a mac, then practice on one at the apple store and take some of those classes- or don't- its pretty easy.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
So I don't know if this falls under this thread's purview, but:

- Tuesday, 11 AM: First interview (no phone screen) for a tech support job at a private school. Went pretty well. I'd say it was B - B+ job on my part. They tell me they'll be in touch by Friday.

- Friday 2:30 PM: My phone rings, goes to voicemail (can't answer the phone while driving). It's them, I'm the top candidate, they want me to come back and meet the superintendent (read: principal) Tuesday

- Friday, 3 PM: I call them back (goes to voicemail, 4th of July weekend, etc), tell them I'd be happy to come back, say Tuesday works

- Today, 9 AM: they call back, say my references are good (?!? I have never had a reference check done after the first interview), want to do Wednesday. I can't (set up another interview ~1 week ago), we agree on Thursday, time TBD, they detail the pay and benefits (the pay is lower than I was expecting (there was no salary data on Glassdoor, this was just based on my own guessing and some old information I managed to scare up about teacher salaries) and this might have come across)

- Today, 11 AM: they call back, 11 AM Thursday is my time, the superintendent will be there, they'll start working on an offer letter (?!?!?!?!? I have never had any kind of discussion of an offer after the first interview), "How do your prospects look right now?" "Well, I have two other irons in the fire, so I'd like a week to think about it" (I was given that much time at the last job I applied for to consider their offer).

- Today, 1:30 PM: I get an email from my old boss forwarding his email thread with Potential Future Boss at the job in question, it's all positive stuff. I had applied for a job working for my old boss (used to work P/T as an undergrad, a fulltime position opened up) and he says he wants me to get it but they really want someone w/ graphic design experience (which I don't have, so I'm assuming this is code for "we would love to hire you but it's not going to work out").

- Today, 2 PM: PFB calls. I am "not enthusiastic enough" about the job, "hesitated too much" about salary and benefits, and "am just shopping around" and would be a "flight risk". He wants to rescind the offer, I somehow talk him into still letting me come Thursday.

Was I super-enthusiastic about this? I wasn't jumping out of my skin to work at this place, but the more I read about it, the more I liked it, and it seems like the people that work there like it as well. Am I super-enthusiastic about this now? My gut is saying any place that can go from "holy crap, we want you so bad" to "get out" in < 12 hours is going to reveal some serious problems later on.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I had my interview with the CIO last Monday, it went great and I received an email ten minutes later saying they wanted to move on to a background check. Later in the day I received an email with the forms I needed to fill out, sent them back the next day and now I'm playing the waiting game. I was told the background check would take 2-3 days. Since I returned the forms two days before the 4th of July, I expected there to be some kind of delay with the check. I have no idea how long these things take. Is that 2-3 days number realistic and how much time should I give before I contact them to see if they're still considering me? And how should I word that email if I inevitably have to contact them about it? I've read horror stories about people being rejected even at this point in the hiring process even with a clean background (which I do have), so I am praying to Allah that it does not happen to me.

Lil Miss Clackamas fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 8, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mike Danger posted:

So I don't know if this falls under this thread's purview, but:

- Tuesday, 11 AM: First interview (no phone screen) for a tech support job at a private school. Went pretty well. I'd say it was B - B+ job on my part. They tell me they'll be in touch by Friday.

- Friday 2:30 PM: My phone rings, goes to voicemail (can't answer the phone while driving). It's them, I'm the top candidate, they want me to come back and meet the superintendent (read: principal) Tuesday

- Friday, 3 PM: I call them back (goes to voicemail, 4th of July weekend, etc), tell them I'd be happy to come back, say Tuesday works

- Today, 9 AM: they call back, say my references are good (?!? I have never had a reference check done after the first interview), want to do Wednesday. I can't (set up another interview ~1 week ago), we agree on Thursday, time TBD, they detail the pay and benefits (the pay is lower than I was expecting (there was no salary data on Glassdoor, this was just based on my own guessing and some old information I managed to scare up about teacher salaries) and this might have come across)

- Today, 11 AM: they call back, 11 AM Thursday is my time, the superintendent will be there, they'll start working on an offer letter (?!?!?!?!? I have never had any kind of discussion of an offer after the first interview), "How do your prospects look right now?" "Well, I have two other irons in the fire, so I'd like a week to think about it" (I was given that much time at the last job I applied for to consider their offer).

- Today, 1:30 PM: I get an email from my old boss forwarding his email thread with Potential Future Boss at the job in question, it's all positive stuff. I had applied for a job working for my old boss (used to work P/T as an undergrad, a fulltime position opened up) and he says he wants me to get it but they really want someone w/ graphic design experience (which I don't have, so I'm assuming this is code for "we would love to hire you but it's not going to work out").

- Today, 2 PM: PFB calls. I am "not enthusiastic enough" about the job, "hesitated too much" about salary and benefits, and "am just shopping around" and would be a "flight risk". He wants to rescind the offer, I somehow talk him into still letting me come Thursday.

Was I super-enthusiastic about this? I wasn't jumping out of my skin to work at this place, but the more I read about it, the more I liked it, and it seems like the people that work there like it as well. Am I super-enthusiastic about this now? My gut is saying any place that can go from "holy crap, we want you so bad" to "get out" in < 12 hours is going to reveal some serious problems later on.

These guys sound crazy and you should approach with caution. A few weird red flags there. How starved are you for work?

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

These guys sound crazy and you should approach with caution. A few weird red flags there. How starved are you for work?

Kind of? I just recently picked up a p/t thing that will be starting this month or next, but I've been out of full-time employment for a while now. The interview tomorrow is a Skype thing but it's very similar to a job I held in the past, so we'll see how that goes.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

DustingDuvet posted:

I did a VERY basic critique mostly of the content. Hopefully you can understand the reasoning behind my comments and apply that to your entire resume. Good luck.

Oh, thanks for that! If the stats aren't anything special is there any point in putting them in there? 10-15 calls a day won't impress anyone.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

I think I'm finally ready for a resume critique. I've almost posted this two or three times, then at the last minute decided it was all wrong and re-wrote it. I'm looking for a job as a tech writer, still working on my master's but it's a program designed to be done while working full time. I tried to follow all of the advice in the OP as best I could, please tell me if it still sucks! Thank you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijdpor1bqxz3z6u/ResumeCritique.doc

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I just finished school for my undergrad and I am looking for work. What's making it a bit weird for me is that I'm 32 years old. I worked as a customer service rep at an insurance company for about 5 years, moved to CT, worked as a paralegal for 3 years. Then I started going to school while working part time as a paralegal for a couple years before going to school full time for 2 years to finish my degree.

I am currently applying to paralegal positions in NYC. My qualifications as a paralegal are pretty good, and I have lots of things to work with there. My work at the financial company is not particularly relevant to paralegal positions. Also, I feel that it ages me. It makes it more obvious that I'm in my early 30s. I already have a middle-eastern name, and I don't need anything else working against me.

My main fear is that I'm going to date myself by putting in work experience from 2001-2005. I would rather look about 5 years younger based on my resume by avoiding listing the experience. Also, there is a gap in employment from August 2005 to February 2007 as I worked various small or temp jobs and was changing states.

Should I just avoid mentioning my work at the insurance company and just have my education and paralegal experience listed? I feel I should, but my wife disagrees with me.

Edit: Is there a major downside to not mentioning prior experience? Would an employer think you are dishonest if the job shows up on a background check?

walruscat fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 10, 2013

kells
Mar 19, 2009

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

I think I'm finally ready for a resume critique. I've almost posted this two or three times, then at the last minute decided it was all wrong and re-wrote it. I'm looking for a job as a tech writer, still working on my master's but it's a program designed to be done while working full time. I tried to follow all of the advice in the OP as best I could, please tell me if it still sucks! Thank you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijdpor1bqxz3z6u/ResumeCritique.doc

I'm just another internet person so you don't have to take my advice, but:

• You titled your first section 'Qualifications' but have not listed any qualifications there. Looks like experience or skills.
  • Also in the first section I'd suggest trying not to use the same word twice - perhaps change the first point to 'Experience translating Translated highly technical information...' so you don't have two 'Experience' sentences
  • "Developed the LinkedIn careers page as as part of the recruitment strategy..."
  • "Also Expanded recruitment/branding campaigns..."
  • If it were me I'd move the tutoring bit up into the 'Work History' section and flesh it out a bit, play up your being able to explain technical/scientific information in an accessible way

Just my 2c :)

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

kells posted:

I'm just another internet person so you don't have to take my advice, but:

• You titled your first section 'Qualifications' but have not listed any qualifications there. Looks like experience or skills.
  • Also in the first section I'd suggest trying not to use the same word twice - perhaps change the first point to 'Experience translating Translated highly technical information...' so you don't have two 'Experience' sentences
  • "Developed the LinkedIn careers page as as part of the recruitment strategy..."
  • "Also Expanded recruitment/branding campaigns..."
  • If it were me I'd move the tutoring bit up into the 'Work History' section and flesh it out a bit, play up your being able to explain technical/scientific information in an accessible way

Just my 2c :)

Nice catch on the double "as" and you pointed out a few things that seems really obvious in retrospect. Thank so you so much for the help. :)

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
What's the consensus (if there is one) on objective statements? I've heard 50/50. Half think it's useless and don't read it or view it negatively and half seem to think it needs to be there. Is it safer to just have one on there?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Bugamol posted:

What's the consensus (if there is one) on objective statements? I've heard 50/50. Half think it's useless and don't read it or view it negatively and half seem to think it needs to be there. Is it safer to just have one on there?

Useless at best, if you're going to be wasting space you might as well go the whole nine and add "References available upon request". Your objective is to get an offer, any hiring manager knows that.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

seacat posted:

Useless at best, if you're going to be wasting space you might as well go the whole nine and add "References available upon request". Your objective is to get an offer, any hiring manager knows that.

Sounds good. That's kind of what I thought. I don't need to waste space I can pretty comfortably fill a full page since I've been out of college for two years and working. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't shooting myself in the foot by not having one.

I'm lucky enough to have a pretty decent job, but want to send a resume out to test the waters in case anything goes south where I'm working (which I don't foresee).

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
If you dropped out of college (and presumably not so shortly ago that you could say you're continuing soon), should you just leave it off your resume entirely?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Falcon2001 posted:

If you dropped out of college (and presumably not so shortly ago that you could say you're continuing soon), should you just leave it off your resume entirely?
I am no résumé expert, but I have often seen, particularly for mid-career people, some acknowledgement of the number of credit hours they have, particularly if in a field relevant to the industry you are trying to get into. I think "going to college for a few years" still sounds better than "never going to college" (sounds, mind you, the people I know who never went to college on purpose are almost all more successful than the ones who half-heartedly went for a year and dropped out).

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Quarex posted:

I am no résumé expert, but I have often seen, particularly for mid-career people, some acknowledgement of the number of credit hours they have, particularly if in a field relevant to the industry you are trying to get into. I think "going to college for a few years" still sounds better than "never going to college" (sounds, mind you, the people I know who never went to college on purpose are almost all more successful than the ones who half-heartedly went for a year and dropped out).

Yeah, I'm torn. This is tech, and tech is more likely to forgive the lack of degree, and I've got 5-7 years in my field (depending on how you define 'field) so I'm at least at the point where it's no longer an immediate issue.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Falcon2001 posted:

Attending college and have college credits cannot hurt you. You also note it's the tech field which is "forgiving" for lack of a degree.

The common rule is Attended X University (with years attended).

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
There was a discussion last page about whether or not posting resumes for design critique is kosher - is that alright or should I follow the OP and stfu?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

There was a discussion last page about whether or not posting resumes for design critique is kosher - is that alright or should I follow the OP and stfu?

I'm not anti-critique, I just didn't want the thread to turn into the last one where people who obviously didn't read any of the prior comments shat in their resume that they had spent zero effort and the critiques were always the same.

Go for it as long as you've tried to do what is suggested in the OP; I tried very hard to cover almost all the common criticisms in it. For design, sure, though I'll say in advance my feedback is "I don't care" unless you're applying for a design-relevant position. :)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks! The only thing I missed in the OP was that I wasn't sure if I should have a separate section for qualifications, so I tried to just work relevant portions into the jobs. The other portion was that working in tech and being fairly certain my resume would be read digitally based on the hiring I've been involved in here, I went with a sans-serif font instead of serif. Apparently PDF murders the font somehow though, so that was weird, which is why it's docx

Let me know if the link doesn't work:
Edit - link broke, ignore this whole thing.

Edit: this is targeted at a Systems Engineering position with an emphasis on troubleshooting and communications, although I'm mostly looking for general things I hosed up.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 14, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What's acceptable as a post-interview thank you note? Should I send a physical card to the company or just e-mail them to say "Thank you for taking the time to consider my application, etc." a couple days after the interview?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Email them, and you can do it the same day or the day after.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Xandu posted:

Email them, and you can do it the same day or the day after.

You'll want to also include some sort of comment about the specific interview you had, so that it is clear you didn't have a pre-canned thank you note. Something like "I especially appreciated your candor in describing a typical day. It sounds like something very exciting to me!" or something -- just to emphasize that you paid attention during the interview.

You should send it as soon as you realistically can since some companies start evaluating people basically immediately -- at my company, most interviewers have entered feedback within 12 hours from the interview.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks, I thought doing it same-day might sound too desperate but I guess not. I assume I should send a note to everyone who interviews me (I think this interview will be with multiple people)?

E: Would it be better to e-mail each person I interview with a different note, or send the same note out to all of them at once?

VV Last interview I had was with two people at once, which is why I asked.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 14, 2013

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Thanks, I thought doing it same-day might sound too desperate but I guess not. I assume I should send a note to everyone who interviews me (I think this interview will be with multiple people)?

E: Would it be better to e-mail each person I interview with a different note, or send the same note out to all of them at once?

Different notes; you talked about different things, and interviewers talk. Sending the same note to all of them is worse than sending no note at all (especially if you say anything beyond the most formulaic things.)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I think I checked off all the bullet points in the OP, so if it's not too much to ask can someone go over my resume? I'm trying to get a job more related to my degree but something I actually don't have too much experience in. This is my first draft of my resume, so I don't expect it to be pretty.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1286849/resume.docx

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Shnooks posted:

I think I checked off all the bullet points in the OP, so if it's not too much to ask can someone go over my resume? I'm trying to get a job more related to my degree but something I actually don't have too much experience in. This is my first draft of my resume, so I don't expect it to be pretty.

(url removed)

You should edit this to not include your real name/contact information.

Your skills section should be wiped out and tailored for each particular job you're applying for. The generic statements you have their now are too "telly". You want to show how you have these traits, not just tell people you have them. You also should try hard to tie together your experience into some cohesive story about the jobs in question.

I'm not entirely sure what you want to do from this resume. I'd guess something with fabrics/textiles? In that case, you should move the button company job to the top, and put your current job below that. Yes, I'm aware this is not chronological, but the resume is a sales document and you need to sell.

Remove the non-degree seeking time - there's no reason to have it there, nor is the stuff from the language institute, unless you are trying to specifically demonstrate Japan/Japanese knowledge, in which case you should leave it.

Your tenses don't match in some of your job bullet points. If one is in past tense, they all should be. You also are explaining your duties instead of listing your accomplishments. For the vet job, bullets 1-4 are all worthless. Your title communicates that information. Instead, list how your responsibilities progressed and how your duties have grown. Talk about increased responsibility and trust. Provide some sort of numbers for every bullet point you can. How many calls/day do you answer? How many employees did you train? Stuff like that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is it OK to take notes during a job interview? I did so during my last interview and the people who were interviewing me seemed confused, or at least I thought it slowed the interview down in an odd way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

C-Euro posted:

Is it OK to take notes during a job interview? I did so during my last interview and the people who were interviewing me seemed confused, or at least I thought it slowed the interview down in an odd way.

Yes it is....

I once interviewed a guy for a MD/ED role at an investment bank and he opened his folder and in it was all of the interviewers' bios from our website copious other notes taken own - pages from the site highlighted and notated as well as his pad and pen.

He took copious amounts of notes and was the most prepared candidate I have ever interviewed.

It also depends what you are writing down - if the guys are telling you details about how things work which is not necessarily public then that's fine to write down. If you are writing down the questions they ask you then it is a bit off.