Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I have an important interview in a few hours and I haven't been able to sleep. It's too late now. How screwed am I? Is there anything I can do to offset my lack of sleep? It's unfortunately going to be a pretty involved interview...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.
^^^^^^ A good breakfast.

You are most likely not screwed. Amazing to see the adrenaline kick in in a real interview.

Hypation fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 15, 2013

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Bisty Q. posted:

You should edit this to not include your real name/contact information.

Your skills section should be wiped out and tailored for each particular job you're applying for. The generic statements you have their now are too "telly". You want to show how you have these traits, not just tell people you have them. You also should try hard to tie together your experience into some cohesive story about the jobs in question.

I'm not entirely sure what you want to do from this resume. I'd guess something with fabrics/textiles? In that case, you should move the button company job to the top, and put your current job below that. Yes, I'm aware this is not chronological, but the resume is a sales document and you need to sell.

Remove the non-degree seeking time - there's no reason to have it there, nor is the stuff from the language institute, unless you are trying to specifically demonstrate Japan/Japanese knowledge, in which case you should leave it.

Your tenses don't match in some of your job bullet points. If one is in past tense, they all should be. You also are explaining your duties instead of listing your accomplishments. For the vet job, bullets 1-4 are all worthless. Your title communicates that information. Instead, list how your responsibilities progressed and how your duties have grown. Talk about increased responsibility and trust. Provide some sort of numbers for every bullet point you can. How many calls/day do you answer? How many employees did you train? Stuff like that.

I guess I was under the impression that you explained your list of skills in your cover letter? I keep getting a lot of conflicting information about what I should do and should not do and it's getting confusing.

I know it's a general resume, but for a few of the jobs I've been looking at (administrative positions in galleries and museums) I tried to hit the qualifications and skills that they list. The reason I had the non-degree seeking stuff was because at the time I was working on my resume I was applying for a position for an Asian art museum, and I'll probably apply to another. I'll remove it I guess?

The problem with my current job at the vet is that I've been there about a year and I've really made no progress. It's not that my coworkers and manager don't like me, it's that they're very clique-y and unwilling to change how things are. It leaves me with very little room to learn and improve when I'm pushed aside frequently for someone who has been working with a doctor for 3 years and they'll never, ever, EVER get a new technician. This is partially why I'm trying to leave - there's no room for movement and even if I tried and bent over backwards (which plenty of people do and they look like dweebs in the process), I would get nowhere. I know clientele like me and I do pretty good at my job as my clinic manager has told me before, but because everyone is pretty set with how it was 10 years ago, nothing is going to really change.

Other than changing it to fit each job I apply for (which makes sense and is what I was doing prior to re-vamping my resume), does it at least look OK?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In the fall, I'll be returning to my alma mater to pursue a degree in computer science. I would like to get a job in the university IT department to supplement my GI bill stipend. I have a degree in music education and spent four years in a military band, during which time I also worked in our unit's Information Services section. I recently got a Network+ certificate.

I have some accomplishments I can list from the IS section, but it seems that my resume will be pretty empty. Do any of you see anything in my experience that I might be able to look into for related accomplishments?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You're applying for a part-time IT job as a college student?

You have IT experience and military experience. Your competition was a shift lead at McDonald's and fixed the register once. Don't worry about it, if anything you might be overqualified.

If you're applying for an actual grown up IT job (Full time, while in college full time on the GI bill? Is that really to your advantage?) then I don't know.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FrozenVent posted:

You're applying for a part-time IT job as a college student?

You have IT experience and military experience. Your competition was a shift lead at McDonald's and fixed the register once. Don't worry about it, if anything you might be overqualified.

If you're applying for an actual grown up IT job (Full time, while in college full time on the GI bill? Is that really to your advantage?) then I don't know.

It's a part-time since I'll be going back to school.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there anything negative about sending an e-mail the day before an interview saying something like "Hi, I'd like to confirm that I'm coming by at X time in Y location for my interview tomorrow"? I did so for my last interview and it was a good thing I did because they had forgotten to confirm with me prior to that.

RoboSpy
Sep 2, 2011
I've recently decided to drop out of my PhD program after almost four years. Does anybody know a good way to indicate that on a resume? Should I mention it under education at all, or just list my research under experience, or both? I've read before that it's acceptable to mention something about "Graduate Studies, 2009-2013" that then says something like "Withdrew in good standing". Anyway, I did all my courses, passed all my quals, and did a few years of research, so it seems silly not to mention it just because I didn't finish my thesis. How do I do this?

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

hooah posted:

In the fall, I'll be returning to my alma mater to pursue a degree in computer science. I would like to get a job in the university IT department to supplement my GI bill stipend. I have a degree in music education and spent four years in a military band, during which time I also worked in our unit's Information Services section. I recently got a Network+ certificate.

I have some accomplishments I can list from the IS section, but it seems that my resume will be pretty empty. Do any of you see anything in my experience that I might be able to look into for related accomplishments?

Also see what the deal is with being a lab supervisor / tutor - most are 2nd or 3rd year undergrads....

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

RoboSpy posted:

I've recently decided to drop out of my PhD program after almost four years. Does anybody know a good way to indicate that on a resume? Should I mention it under education at all, or just list my research under experience, or both? I've read before that it's acceptable to mention something about "Graduate Studies, 2009-2013" that then says something like "Withdrew in good standing". Anyway, I did all my courses, passed all my quals, and did a few years of research, so it seems silly not to mention it just because I didn't finish my thesis. How do I do this?

After four years of research and experimentation the results were inconclusive and would have required an additional three years of research down a new line of reasoning which was unaligned with my area of interest and expertise and would have required an additional year of bridging courses......

You could say that if it is true....

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I have an interview in about a week at a local company. They pulled the job posting so now I can't refresh myself on the "Duties/Responsibilities". I can find other, similar companies with similar job postings, but that may not be apples to apples.

Also, in my folder of cover letters and resumes, I had accidentally saved OVER the cover letter I used to submit this resume. I didn't give them the wrong cover letter, nor did I give the other company the wrong cover letter, but I mistakenly clicked "save" instead of "save as", when I was making changes to the cover letter so it would fit the second job application. I still have the copy of the resume I used for this application, thankfully, but no cover letter. I vaguely remember what I wrote but obviously I don't remember everything.

So in summary, upcoming interview where the company no longer has the job posting on the internet, so I can't be very well prepared about the job duties/requirements, and I don't remember exactly what I wrote on the cover letter. :ohdear:

I assume it would be terribly bad form to ask the person organizing the interview for a copy of the job posting? Or would it, since it is no longer available?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Depending on the company, if you google the company name and job title, you might be able to find it archived somewhere.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Xandu posted:

Depending on the company, if you google the company name and job title, you might be able to find it archived somewhere.

Unfortunately, this didn't yield anything. There was a link to it on Careerbuilder, but I get a message that the posting has expired, and I can't find it cached anywhere. I also found another posting for the same position in a different part of the country, but the same thing happened when I clicked the link - it had expired.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My wife currently is employed. She had 2 interviews a couple weeks ago. She got a job offer to one last Friday. She called the person she interviewed with for the other one (the job she would rather have) monday (cell and office) trying to find out what they were thinking. She hasn't heard back. I work for this company and know the guy isn't on vacation (she would work at a different office thankfully).

How long does she wait to call back again? She needs to know at some point... I don't plan on calling the guy but I could if I needed too (not a good approach imo).

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Ah, that sucks. I remember one company attached the job description when they called me in for an interview, but I probably wouldn't request one if I were you.

I think you should be fine. I've only ever had one interview ask me directly "how does your experience fit in with the job requirements" without also reminding me of the job requirements. What you could do is simply ask during the interview, "what do you foresee someone in this position doing day to day" and then working from there.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

spwrozek posted:

My wife currently is employed. She had 2 interviews a couple weeks ago. She got a job offer to one last Friday. She called the person she interviewed with for the other one (the job she would rather have) monday (cell and office) trying to find out what they were thinking. She hasn't heard back. I work for this company and know the guy isn't on vacation (she would work at a different office thankfully).

How long does she wait to call back again? She needs to know at some point... I don't plan on calling the guy but I could if I needed too (not a good approach imo).
Did she tell them she has an offer in hand when she called?

If not she should call them one more time & mention that she has an offer for which the company is awaiting a decision <insert timeline here>. That might accelerate their timeline or at least hopefully get a response.

quote:

It looks like you're aware of it, but do NOT do this, it is a terrible idea in 99.9% of situations to mix your personal and professional life in this way. To any sane hiring manager it'll make her seem like she's unable to handle her job search on her own. The only scenario in which it would help involves yourself and the hiring manager being pretty crooked to some degree.

She might just have to let this one go, although her choice is much easier since she won't be depending on this offer to pay the bills.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah I didn't really plan on calling the guy. She was supposed to know Friday. She thinks that she didn't get it and they are just waiting for someone else to accept.

She told me she said she had another offer so I guess we will see. I told her just to wait it out. The first company hasn't given her a time frame to accept yet. Still working on money and some questions about the job.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

It isn't so much about looking nice as it is about readability. Serifed fonts scan more easily because the serif (or 'foot') guides the eye along the line of text. If you don't like Cambria or Times, just pick something else that represents how professional you'd want to appear. MS Word has plenty of eligible examples, and choosing a proper font is actually not as spergy as you might think it would be.

If you don't want to delve into that aspect, the standard serifed fonts are more than acceptable. The bottom line is that a font without a serif will cause people to gloss over the text if they're reading quickly. Kind of like when you're reading a book and get through several pages before you realize that you have no idea or ability to recall just what the hell you've been reading for the last couple pages.

I know... I'm just saying that I think, among serifed fonts, something like Garamond or Bookman gives a nicer impression than TNR.

For sans serif I'm in love with Segoe UI recently, but unless your recipient has Windows 8 it's just gonna morph into Arial, which is not nearly as appealing.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 17, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't know if this is too much insider baseball, but when I used the goon-founded Resume 2 Interviews service they put my resume into 11 pt Garamond and it looks great, so there's that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

For sans serif I'm in love with Segoe UI recently, but unless your recipient has Windows 8 it's just gonna morph into Arial, which is not nearly as appealing.

Yeah unless you're printing it out, or maybe PDF'ing it, stick to the standard windows font. It's only recently that Office 2010 got widespread, I wouldn't discount the possibility that the person reading your résumé might still be using XP.

Well the chances are slim, but you never know.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I know... I'm just saying that I think, among serifed fonts, something like Garamond or Bookman gives a nicer impression than TNR.

Calibri is now the norm for business writing in most things I see.
TNR looks out of fashion (unless you are applying for a government job) Anything else - (except maybe Veranda for headings) is just too gauche to be Goon.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah unless you're printing it out, or maybe PDF'ing it, stick to the standard windows font. It's only recently that Office 2010 got widespread, I wouldn't discount the possibility that the person reading your résumé might still be using XP.

Well the chances are slim, but you never know.

There area a gazillion XP-safe fonts; you don't have to stick with Arial and Calibri.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Would it be a waste of time to read up on salary negotiations before the interview I have tomorrow? I feel like there's almost no chance they decide on the spot to hire me (giving me time to read about it later), but on the off-chance that they do decide to I would have no idea how to negotiate.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Would it be a waste of time to read up on salary negotiations before the interview I have tomorrow? I feel like there's almost no chance they decide on the spot to hire me (giving me time to read about it later), but on the off-chance that they do decide to I would have no idea how to negotiate.

It'd be good to take a look at some of the literature on the subject, just so you have an answer and messaging ready to go on the spot if they bring it up.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Quick question: What are the thoughts for long hair and a beard on a guy looking to get a job in either marketing, pr, copy writing, media, maybe sales?

I came from media before, where this didn't matter at all really, and I know it is a bit different elsewhere. I just really don't wanna not get a job because of something stupid like that. By long, I mean not shoulder length but long enough that I can pull back. Assuming I did do this for an interview, it would be blown dry, neat and pulled back. I usually have a full beard that I trim and shape up daily when I am not an unemployed hobo. It isn't a patchy neckbeard or any poo poo like that.

Hair is hair, I can grow back if need be. Beard my monkey genes will have that back in two weeks. The head hair is obviously quite a bit longer. If I were to cut, I'd be shooting for something like Patrick Dempsy or Simon Baker (I have curly wavy hair, and I'd still want some flow to it)

I am actually more interested in the thoughts on the beard, even though that is less controversial, I think. I feel that without it, I look like I'm fresh out of college instead of 28. People in general treat me a lot differently when I have a full beard

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

I just got a call from a recruiter for Liberty Life Insurance. I am like 99% sure I don't want to work there, and a quick google suggests they pretty much hire anyone with a pulse anyway. Is it worth going to the interview just for practice? I don't have a lot of interview experience, but I'm not sure this company is even worth messing with for those purposes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

I just got a call from a recruiter for Liberty Life Insurance. I am like 99% sure I don't want to work there, and a quick google suggests they pretty much hire anyone with a pulse anyway. Is it worth going to the interview just for practice? I don't have a lot of interview experience, but I'm not sure this company is even worth messing with for those purposes.

Is this one of those commission-only sales job? If so, don't bother. If it's an actual sit down job, it can be worth a look, but the "hire anyone with a pulse" part usually indicates scammy poo poo jobs. (Not to be confused with "Hire anyone with a pulse and X certification", that usually isn't a scam.)

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Quick question: What are the thoughts for long hair and a beard on a guy looking to get a job in either marketing, pr, copy writing, media, maybe sales?

I came from media before, where this didn't matter at all really, and I know it is a bit different elsewhere. I just really don't wanna not get a job because of something stupid like that. By long, I mean not shoulder length but long enough that I can pull back. Assuming I did do this for an interview, it would be blown dry, neat and pulled back. I usually have a full beard that I trim and shape up daily when I am not an unemployed hobo. It isn't a patchy neckbeard or any poo poo like that.

Hair is hair, I can grow back if need be. Beard my monkey genes will have that back in two weeks. The head hair is obviously quite a bit longer. If I were to cut, I'd be shooting for something like Patrick Dempsy or Simon Baker (I have curly wavy hair, and I'd still want some flow to it)

I am actually more interested in the thoughts on the beard, even though that is less controversial, I think. I feel that without it, I look like I'm fresh out of college instead of 28. People in general treat me a lot differently when I have a full beard

Get a haircut. There's nothing like a neat trim and a neat beard. Fresh out of grad school, I kept hair that was probably roughly the length of yours. Maybe slightly longer. I interviewed at a lot of places, and was hired eventually at a big university. Places like universities don't care what you look like, but professional businesses do.

I'd trim your beard to not more than this, if it was longer:

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

A Goon PMed me for a resume critique and I am posting this publicly as I know it will be helpful to some others reading this thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

johnny sack posted:

Get a haircut. There's nothing like a neat trim and a neat beard. Fresh out of grad school, I kept hair that was probably roughly the length of yours. Maybe slightly longer. I interviewed at a lot of places, and was hired eventually at a big university. Places like universities don't care what you look like, but professional businesses do.

I'd trim your beard to not more than this, if it was longer:

Yeah that's the length I'd be going for. Neat, but def a beard and not the hungover 5oclock shadow look. Anything less and I'd just take it off.

Thanks!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

johnny sack posted:

It can certainly depend where you live. Every time I mentioned cutting my hair to get a job here in Seattle, someone in the group would laugh and say "you would look clean-cut compared to [story about Guy X from Workplace Y]." I mean, I have seen dudes with long hair (and not even pulled back) at several types of jobs here in Seattle, jobs I have never seen anyone but short-hairs working anywhere else. From upscale retail to city employees (and obviously tech jobs).

That said, I am still going to cut my hair because I have no doubt that some tiny level of discrimination exists everywhere.

And that said, I promise you that within "our" lifetime someone is going to end up at the Supreme Court (and win) over this issue, because it is one of the rare cases of sex-based discrimination that squarely (and solely) targets men.

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Wade in the water, Children, Wade in the water
In December of last year, I applied for a job that I considered to be close to a dream job, at least in terms of getting my foot in the door doing a job I'd like with an organization I like. It was only a part-time gig, but it would lead to full-time. I went through two rounds of interviews and ultimately didn't get the position. I was disappointed.

Based on various advice I read around here, I contacted the person I interviewed with (who would have been my boss) because I felt we had a really good rapport. I contacted them to just say someday I wanted to be in a similar career position as they were and I felt since our backgrounds were similar, maybe they could offer some advice/mentorship on what I could do to achieve my goals.

They contacted me back, we had a nice lunch together, and since then they've helped set me up with volunteer positions that have similar duties to what I want to do for a career. We've stayed in decent touch, then recently they contacted me to say the person they hired back in Dec. for the position I applied for, unexpectedly left. They mentioned the position is full-time now with really good pay/benefits and they encouraged me to apply again (since the job is full-time, it's considered a new position).

I've applied, and have now scheduled my first interview. I should be hopeful, right? But I'm nervous. I know where I might have faltered the first time around, and I have better answers, and in general, I know what to expect since I did it before, but I'm curious if anyone has any additional tips in this situation. The people at this place know me now, and I'm on "good acquaintance" terms with the boss. How do I make 100% sure that I get this job and not screw it up?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I'm currently looking to transfer from my department to another in my company. The overall corporate culture regarding transfers is good, and they give us good resources for looking into open jobs in other departments but I am still a bit anxious about how ill spin it to my manager and the hiring manager.

The two main motivations for my wanting to transfer are I want to move (the department I want to be in is about an hour away in a state I intend to move to), and I currently don't feel like there's much more room for growth where I am. And truthfully, I hate 25% of my job function with intense passion.

Any recommendations on how I should spin this to both parties? I don't want the hiring manager to think I'm changing careers just to move and I don't want my current manager to think I'm leaving for any negative reasons. I just really need this change.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Marketing- neat trim beard ok, long hair ok
PR- neat trim beard ok, long hair ok
Copy writing- short beard, good haircut needed
Media- I don't know
Sales- clean shaven, hair cut

In general it depends on what region you are in. In San Francisco you can get away with anything.

In sales you generally want to look as sharp as possible.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Had a sales interview with a super conservative firm, for which I showed up in a blazer, chinos and loafers with no socks after doing most of my company research on my phone in the lobby. I don't think I could have broken more interview rules if I'd taken a poo poo on the hiring manager's desk.

So naturally this morning I get an e-mail asking me to come in to discuss compensation and hiring terms with their regional sales director? :wtc:

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Hapless ladygoon here: I have my first job interview since high school, and I'm not sure what's appropriate to wear (in college, formal clothes have not been a necessity). According to the weather report, it's going to be about 90F that day, so would a sleeveless and/or light top be OK, or is a jacket to go with my skirt required? Also, are flats instead of heels OK?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

Media- I don't know

In general it depends on what region you are in. In San Francisco you can get away with anything.

Honestly, I figured copy writing would be more like media in that it is something people don't care much about, and the opposite of what you're saying for marketing or pr. Sales makes a lot more sense though, but that is pretty low on my list just because I don't want that kinda crazy stress haha.

FWIW, I am in North NJ, so I am looking here or NYC.

Thanks again everyone

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

Media- I don't know

What about people who are in sales that look better with a beard? The job I'm interviewing for is a sales job and I keep a beard about like Jake's above. I and others think I look better with a beard, but if there's some discrimination then I'll just shave it.

Everything I read on the internet seems to indicate you're generally better off shaving, especially for sales...goddamn beard discrimination.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
With sales you aren't just dealing with employees of your company. You are dealing with the general public. You could easily have a day where even 1 prospect or person you run into doesn't like your look and it shakes your confidence all day. Not only will they not buy from you, but they will poo poo all over you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

With sales you aren't just dealing with employees of your company. You are dealing with the general public. You could easily have a day where even 1 prospect or person you run into doesn't like your look and it shakes your confidence all day. Not only will they not buy from you, but they will poo poo all over you.

Do people really feel that strongly about a neatly groomed beard?