Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Mustang posted:

Amazon got back to me, one of my 5 interviewers is interested in me for a role with the same title on the same team, just different work. They say I won't have to do the 5 person loop again, just interview with the manager. He was easily the nicest person I interviewed with, hopefully this one will work out this time.

That's awesome! Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Arquinsiel posted:

I just got rejected from a job application in under an hour, and they threw a "so you want to be a pen tester?" PDF guide into the reply with real basic info in it.

Great way to get yourself blacklisted as condescending shits.

Reply back asking if they have Pen 15 testing experience

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PRADA SLUT posted:

Reply back asking if they have Pen 15 testing experience
I just threw the relevant recruiter a "hey lose my CV, I won't be applying again" email. It takes effort to insult me with an automated email in 2024 but drat if they didn't manage it.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I recently blackballed a staffing agency because they wasted half my day to commute down for an in person interview on a position that was no longer available. The recruiter was unimpressed when I offered to go grab a beer since we're just sitting around wasting both our time.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Got a rejection letter claiming to offer constructive feedback. This line I found quite interesting.

quote:

We look for ambition and entrepreneurialism but we want to see evidence that you can match your confidence with humility.

I've never been called arrogant before! I looked up the company on Glassdoor and they had an average review rating of 1.7/5. The owner was apparently a fan of Andrew Tate, so a lucky escape.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
All the bullets dodged there.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Sad King Billy posted:

Got a rejection letter claiming to offer constructive feedback. This line I found quite interesting.

I've never been called arrogant before! I looked up the company on Glassdoor and they had an average review rating of 1.7/5. The owner was apparently a fan of Andrew Tate, so a lucky escape.

There's gotta be some horseshoe theory poo poo going on when the Andrew Tate guys think you are too arrogant.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Sad King Billy posted:

JFC, absolutely dodged a bullet there.

Terrible interview chat: I once interviewed for a non-animating job at a place who started their interview with "So what makes you want to be an animator for XYZ?". Then the fire alarm went off half way through.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lieutenant Dan posted:

JFC, absolutely dodged a bullet there.

Terrible interview chat: I once interviewed for a non-animating job at a place who started their interview with "So what makes you want to be an animator for XYZ?". Then the fire alarm went off half way through.

Performance art. I like it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Have my next interview with Amazon scheduled and I'm not even sure what I can do to prepare. At this point they've already interviewed me for about 6 hours, soon to be 7. What more could they possibly learn?

I know the weak point for this role for me is the fact that I don't have a traditional finance fp&a background, just a finance component to my last two roles in the Army as a logistician. I can't conjure a pure finance background for my resume.

But this particular senior manager saw something appealing when he interviewed me during the 5 person loop. Pretty sure the first opening on this team was given to someone else since they pulled that job posting. This one is the same job title with slightly different work.

All I can think of is shoring up my fp&a knowledge with some online classes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If a company wants a writing sample as part of an application, is submitting my dissertation too much?

:haw:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If a company wants a writing sample as part of an application, is submitting my dissertation too much?

you should do it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Give them your poasts

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Mustang posted:

Have my next interview with Amazon scheduled and I'm not even sure what I can do to prepare. At this point they've already interviewed me for about 6 hours, soon to be 7. What more could they possibly learn?

I know the weak point for this role for me is the fact that I don't have a traditional finance fp&a background, just a finance component to my last two roles in the Army as a logistician. I can't conjure a pure finance background for my resume.

But this particular senior manager saw something appealing when he interviewed me during the 5 person loop. Pretty sure the first opening on this team was given to someone else since they pulled that job posting. This one is the same job title with slightly different work.

7 hours of interviews in insanity, it's more like a test of endurance now!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Mustang posted:

Good luck, goon!

Had my Amazon phone screen today. I wish I could say I was confident in my performance...but I can't! Thought I did okay. Looking forward to hearing from the recruiter but kinda girding for disappointment.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Welp, back in the muck again. Laid off for cost-cutting measures.

I'm so utterly disillusioned with corporate america, but I don't feel like I have a ton of choice. Needs the money and the insurance for the family.

I've not shared a resume before, but why not.

https://imgur.com/a/t7lxtY1

(I realize there isn't an education section in there. I never completed my bachelor's, which has proven to be irrelevant in my career to this point, and seemingly incredibly relevant in just finding interviews in today's world.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Welp, back in the muck again.

I'm a little confused as to what your actually good at here. Your skills section should probably be upfront and be clear. You're an operations manager, but in data? Software engineering? BI? I am not sure. Maybe the company names would make it a bit clearer but as someone who has spent a lot of time in software engineering operations I am a bit confused by this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think the OP is in logistics, but it's a little unclear if they are a Operations Data guy or an Operations guy. Having done both is valuable for sure but the narrative is not really clear.

Most of your bullet points need an edit. They are overly wordy or imprecise. Cut them to a very fine point. eg: your fourth bullet on current job, which I won't copy here, is a mess that takes away from what appears to be a real accomplishment. Just say "managed fleet, implemented new maintenance schedule that did X " - I like the attempt at a quantitative result that shows value but: "the percentage of fleet vehicles necessitating maintenance dropped significantly from 100% to 20% in under two months" is incoherent. The metric is weird but if I try to take a shot at it it's something like "Reduced number of vehicles with open maintenance needs from 100% of fleet to 20% of fleet in two months" - also the cynic in me thinks you probably had five vehicles so if that isn't the case you might wanna use real numbers.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Both very salient points.

My history is in Operations. As of 2020, I had worked my way up to being the Ops Mgr for a city. Was with that company 20 years at the time. That company got sold to an entrepreneur. That's when I became the national manager, overseeing all offices in the country. The company grew drastically, and I was also tasked with rolling out footprints in new regions (with all that entailed.)

In 2023, they cut my department and I was laid off.

I had worked closely with New Company in my time with the Long Tenured company, and they offered me a position. Except they didn't really know what to do with me. They weren't a growing company, they don't actually want to change anything, and I was essentially making my own work there. It was during this time that I realized that I really do like Data Analysis, and started to dive into that. I taught myself some SQL, some VBA, and just finished a Udemy course in Power BI. Python is next on my list of what I want to learn.

So I have a great deal of experience in management, especially mid-upper mgmt and communicating inter-department and with stakeholders. I don't love it though.

I have some experience with the DA side, and I really enjoy it.

My baseline skill is probably best described as "efficiency." It's why I agreed to take on the fleet maintenance. The ounce of prevention for a pound of cure. None of these vehicles were properly cared for, and the drivers had stopped communicating issues because they had gotten no response. (The cynic in you is right. It was 10 vehicles.)

Resume likely needs more clarity because I'm unsure myself of where I want to go from here.

(The bullet points all got put through AI to rewrite them a few times. Likely they need complete overhaul more than a polish.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AI is not great for resumes. I know people disagree and love using it, but it's better for providing fluff, and resumes are all about distilling something down so there is very little fluff, or so that fluff is very precisely tailored to a specific requirement. AI sucks at this.

I would try writing two resumes: one for a logistics/ops dude, no data focus, and one for a data analytics / reporting focused position that leverages some of your ops experience to make you stand out as a Real Practical Value Creator Dude. I think it'll help you get clarity.

Hey, your fleet was an order of magnitude larger than I expected!

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Holy poo poo I got a loving writing test for my dream job at one of my dream studios thanks to (I am almost 100% certain) you guys & the recruiter from my past post helping me take a big editing axe to my resume. Thank you thank you holy poo poo. Now I just have to not gently caress up my actual job skills for this audition

edit: they want to set up a meeting at GDC and I can't afford to go this year, so I'm hoping I won't get marked down for that

Lieutenant Dan fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 13, 2024

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Holy poo poo I got a loving writing test for my dream job at one of my dream studios thanks to (I am almost 100% certain) you guys & the recruiter from my past post helping me take a big editing axe to my resume. Thank you thank you holy poo poo. Now I just have to not gently caress up my actual job skills for this audition

Call this thread J Pow cause it's printing money :10bux:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm entering the final round of interviews at a company that is my 3rd choice but is still miles ahead of my current company, and I am still in middle interviewing stages at my 1st and 2nd choice companies.

I want to slow play the 3rd choice so it lines up that if I do get an offer, the timing lines up with my 1st and 2nd choice because I don't want to lose the opportunity to jump from my current company. I have a decent chance at one of my better choice companies because I used to work there and am on good terms with them.

Should I try to slow play it now or later if I get an offer? Or try to get the 1st and 2nd companies to speed up? Any other course of action that I haven't considered? Accept and reneg (burn the bridge) if I get my 1st or 2nd choice offer?

E: after writing this out, it feels like the best thing to do is to try to get an offer first, and then try to slow play it, but if it looks like I have to make a decision, then accept and reneg if a better offer comes.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 13, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would try writing two resumes: one for a logistics/ops dude, no data focus, and one for a data analytics / reporting focused position that leverages some of your ops experience to make you stand out as a Real Practical Value Creator Dude. I think it'll help you get clarity.

Yeah, this is my advice. If you're waffling create a couple resumes. I think it'll help get things in clearer focus.

Mantle posted:

E: after writing this out, it feels like the best thing to do is to try to get an offer first, and then try to slow play it, but if it looks like I have to make a decision, then accept and reneg if a better offer comes.

Yep, I think that's usually the best plan.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Jenkl posted:

Call this thread J Pow cause it's printing money :10bux:

Hell yeah!! :woop:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I interviewed for my first choice a month ago and have not heard anything back. Is it worth sending an email to see if I have been ghosted or if they're just the slowest employer on the planet?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I interviewed for my first choice a month ago and have not heard anything back. Is it worth sending an email to see if I have been ghosted or if they're just the slowest employer on the planet?

I think it's fine to follow up at this point to see what's going on.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

It could always be slower. I applied for a military job in May 2022, called for final interview Nov 2023 and am still waiting for a decision.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Seems hiring everywhere is moving at a snails pace.

Apparently "should we hire this person, Y/N?" is a difficult question to answer.

Had an easier time finding a job during the great recession.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
There’s a bit of choice paralysis happening with employers. There’s so many options it can be overwhelming and make it easier to do nothing or put your hiring team through the wringer for the perfect candidate. Which is something I was chastised for by my manager when things were harder to hire and I was being picky. We always tried to look at applicable skills, but it’s easy to be picky today.

My whole job was about making it easier for people to make decisions for ordering off a restaurant menu, so it’s interesting to see this paradox take effect across a whole market.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The economy is still a little weird and "Money isn't free" is hard to conceptualize for some.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I lucked out in that my hiring manager was aware of an impending hiring freeze coming down, so got my hire rushed through beforehand.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I remembered there was an applicant portal for this place, logged in, and say the dreaded "not retained."

:suicide:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

I remembered there was an applicant portal for this place, logged in, and say the dreaded "not retained."

:suicide:

brutal, i had this happen to me too. AND this was a place where i had an in... the hiring committee ended up going with an internal candidate.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

This place was my first choice not only because I like the company in general but also because the job add description was a mostly 1:1 match for my PhD research, which is not super common

gently caress

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

TheWevel posted:

brutal, i had this happen to me too. AND this was a place where i had an in... the hiring committee ended up going with an internal candidate.

This usually means you had almost no chance FWIW. Perfect example of why you should never take a rejection personally. The chance you beat out an internal candidate is small. Often the position was created for that specific person.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Had a tech interview today and got told to stop because I was hacking gibsons at a level three promotions above where they were trying to hire me. Apparently the dude was so impressed he flat out told me he's recommending they make an offer. Score one for the "gently caress you, convince me to work for you" approach.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Well yes but what can you do if it’s a fender shop?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Has anyone ever used "coffee chats" or actively networking to land a job? I just don't see why someone would want to meet up and get coffee with some random person from LinkedIn. Every once in a while, someone recommends this to me and this seems like something only an extremely outgoing extrovert could pull off. That's not me.

Like if some random person messaged me on LinkedIn I'd be willing to message them about whatever they're interested in if I know anything about it. But I definitely wouldn't want to have a zoom meeting about it, let alone actually meet them for coffee somewhere.

Like I go to networking events in my city but I've never met any people that are actively hiring. Just lots of "job market sucks right now, good luck!" or "I'm trying to switch jobs and can't land anything either".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

This month a goon I had never interacted with posted their company was hiring and I asked for a coffee chat over zoom to learn more. It ended up with a referral to apply and skip directly to technical interview round.

Use every connection you have to get an advantage. It doesn't always work, but it works better than cold applying.