Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
What's the consensus (if there is one) on objective statements? I've heard 50/50. Half think it's useless and don't read it or view it negatively and half seem to think it needs to be there. Is it safer to just have one on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

seacat posted:

Useless at best, if you're going to be wasting space you might as well go the whole nine and add "References available upon request". Your objective is to get an offer, any hiring manager knows that.

Sounds good. That's kind of what I thought. I don't need to waste space I can pretty comfortably fill a full page since I've been out of college for two years and working. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't shooting myself in the foot by not having one.

I'm lucky enough to have a pretty decent job, but want to send a resume out to test the waters in case anything goes south where I'm working (which I don't foresee).

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
What is the general consensus on cover letters in e-mails. Is it better to write a brief statement in the e-mail and include a word or .pdf of the cover letter, or simply put the cover letter in the body of the e-mail.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Nobody's ever asked me about Major GPA here in the U.S. In fact, I've had at least one person advise me to not put GPA on my resume at all, since I have a graduate degree too. I've never been asked about my GPA in an interview either but maybe that's just me.

When I was first applying for jobs in the accounting field I had the exact opposite experience. I was always asked for both my overall and major GPAs. I have been working for almost two years now and it is still asked about 50% of the time.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Where is an appropriate place to stick your references? Is it best to give them their own section or put them under their relevant entries in the Experience section?

Read the OP.

quote:

Tell me what I need to know about making a good resume!

Things that should never be on your resume, part 1: "References available on request"

Literally like the fourth bullet point.

EDIT:

If you literally ctrl + f references on the first page:

quote:

Do not under any circumstances list your references on your resume. Reference-checking is one of the last stages of the hiring process. If you're a reference, do you really want your contact info plastered all over the place every time someone applies for a job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Your most recent job has really vague statements of what you did.

quote:

Universal workforce, able to work on any piece of work at any time throughout the entire state

Granted I'm not in your field, but I literally have no idea what this mean and it just sounds vague.

quote:

Provide face to face as well as remote customer service and eligibility decisions quickly and efficiently

Again this sounds like a weird fragment where you don't really describe what you do.

quote:

Real time operation and interaction with multiple computer systems and interfaces

This sounds like absolute filler.