Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

movax posted:

Yeah, I just got more PTO without a fight whatsoever, but my wishful salary requirements probably aren't going to get met; I think I'm getting everything I can from them. It's a tough negotiating spot considering other employees there took massive pay cuts from Intel, Qualcomm, etc. to join this firm. Pretty sure I'll at least get enough to achieve parity / slightly more than my current pay considering the 30% increase in cost-of-living (the Midwest is ruinously cheap).

President of the company should be calling me tomorrow or so with some final numbers re: stocks + salary, so we'll see what's up there.

Here is a good way to think about it.

Those people who took huge pay cuts did it because they believe in the company and the 10 year promise. They would probably almost work for free if it didn't cost $X for food, rent, and a little on hand assurance.

If you can't see yourself making a below average salary for several years based on what the company promises, don't do it. I'm not a start up guru, but from what I hear it takes a lot of sacrifice and if you don't have the right mind set then chances are you will be on a nice cup of coffee, working your 12th consecutive 60 hour week, thinking to yourself "I can't loving believe I'm at this going-nowhere start up"

There is a reason why a lot of successful people have stories beginning with "I put every single thing I had in this company", because usually that is what it takes. The hidden side is all the unsuccessful people moving back in with mom and pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

BBQ Dave posted:

Interviewing for a job I probably don't want. Makes me feel weird. Never done this before.

Ok so I'm a dining manager at a CCRC, been working at the same place for 2.5 years (same company for 4.5) and by all accounts, I'm doing really well. My annual reviews are always positive, the teenaged servers like me and our senior clients do too. I got my MBA two months ago so I thought I'd start trying for other better jobs in the area because there's no clear path forward in the company besides an administrator in a training program which is currently stalled because the only person who can provide the training left. No idea when it'll start up again, and nobody is talking.

I asked for a raise just before getting my MBA and they told me to wait until I got it. I got it and they told me no MBA raise until my next review (December). Despite this, I love my workplace but I have to put the MBA to work so I've been applying for jobs. Nothing on non-dining things (I've been in dining but someone asked me to interview for the director of dining (My boss's job) at a CCRC in a neighboring city (+20 min commute). Most dining directors have upper-level culinary training (chefs you know), I've been a cook but transitioned to FOH manager after a year.

I'm interviewing on one of my days off, don't know the company, not a lot of info online. It's smaller and slightly more poorly reviewed. I'm hoping they'll offer me the job so I can use that to ask for more money at my current site. I plan on being honest about not looking to leave my workplace but am interested in seeing what is out there. I haven't told my own boss, but am thinking about doing that on Monday.

Any thoughts?

This reminds me of how I felt after I got my MBA - spending so much time and effort in something and then feeling like wasted potential/momentum if I didn’t go out and apply to jobs right away or get a big raise!

I’d say take a breather for a minute and think about what you are looking to achieve. If they plan to give you a big raise, and you are happy, does 6 months really matter? Maybe talk to your boss ahead of time and make sure the raise is big enough to make you happy?

I ultimately think I made a decent post-MBA choice about 6 months after I graduated, but I was definitely impatient about it and looking back feel a bit meh over how distracted I was by the “need” for recompense.

Whatever you do, I don’t see a benefit in telling your boss and wouldn’t leverage this new place unless you are ready to leave if a salary bump doesn’t happen right away. Just stirs the pot.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hello, I’ve been a Program Manager for 2.5 years at an Aero and Defense company and overall have over 10 years experience across a variety of engineering. Trying to break into Product Management in Tech, so there are a lot of resources out there on how to do it, but I feel they are aimed to folks with maybe 2-3 years earlier on the curve than me. Two questions I’m hoping this thread could help with.

1) MBA -> PM is a common move. I got an Evening MBA about ~3 years ago, was the valedictorian, and used that as a push into Program Management. I think that could still do heavy lifting for moving into Product Management (emphasizes the business chops and maybe provides some familiarity since I’m not in Tech now) so I was thinking of putting it at the top of my resume, but is that a bit of a red flag for someone who has been working for 11 years?

It feels to me like it might be weird to emphasize that first over my professional experience since it was a few years ago.

2) I’m making a serious effort to use LinkedIn. Should I turn on OpentoWork (without the silly banner)? I hear conflicting thing of recruiters not paying it too much attention and they’ll find you anyways vs. it being a serious filter in look ups. The risk is my company finding out I am looking. Normally I wouldn’t care too much but my boss can be kinda confrontational, and I work at a small division of a big corporation bleeding people so I wouldn’t be surprised if they worked around it.

Thanks!!!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Omne posted:

Why do you want to break into Product?

(Note: asking as I'm a hiring manager, not a PM naysayer)

Thanks for this, as part of my brush up I've been meaning to work through my little story, this forced me to do it!

I like creating/doing meaningful things and solving complex business problems, so I'm attracted to companies where the development of the right product solves the problem - in contrast to doing deep R&D or being a technical SME [This is why I went MBA]. Mix in that I derive a significant amount of my motivation and creativity when I deeply understand and have a strong alignment with the "Why" a product is what it is, I think Product Management is the natural fit.

How'd I get there? Well a lot of soul searching about what motivates me combined with looking back on what I focus on at work and seeing what emerges. What I've found is that I've essentially been working "downstream" of Product Management for most of my career, and in each position I find that once I get settled and learn the hard skills I was searching for, I begin to dig deeper into the "Why" (e.g. Why do we have the product requirements and priorities we do? Why is this the right market, right time, right opportunity?). I find myself enjoying developing business cases with/for the Strategy/BD/PM groups, pushing them on features and constraints, and synthesizing data from customers and multiple sources etc.

I've also been intentionally climbing the ladder on the execution-heavy side because I think it is all kind of meaningless if you don't know how to actually work something through/lead teams from soup to nuts in the dirty work, and also knowing how to make key decisions when things go wrong/you can't do it all. This is what led me into my current role of basically a TPM, but I'm feeling I'm approaching a bit of a ceiling.

I also really like leading teams (directly and indirectly) in a way that maximizes everyone's contributions, recognition, and personal fulfillment. I think in most cases Product Management would ultimately be able to achieve that by driving development of successful products.

^^CarForumPoster and Lockback. Yea it is true our relationship is pretty much predicated on frank conversations about poo poo hitting the fan, but at the end of the day I'm always a bit of a people pleaser, so it has sometimes been tough for me to have the career growth conversations that end in "I don't think you can help me the way I need..." Thanks for the encouragement and insight.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll tighten it up and I swear I am genuine!!! But I get what you are saying. It just sucks spending months working like crazy, and burning out a team, to go from concept to hardware while the market analysis or requirements definition starts to crumble and leadership decides to keep chugging along and wasting everyone’s times…and I know I could do it better, and try to do it! Early in the career I didn’t have my head high enough to really make those judgement calls but with some more experience it is kinda showing me where I want to go.

Omne, thanks for the tip and the red flag. Yea one of my possible weaknesses is that I’m not a person who has a huge attraction to a certain type of tech, but since I’ve been in Science and Engineering my whole life that’s just kinda my knowledge set. I end up being really motivated by businesses (or groups within one) that have a clear goal and vision of what their objectives are and how they are going to go do it, and then being a leader in making that happen.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Ok so decided to finally go ahead and just put together a resume that I hope highlights things well and can be tailored for Product Management or TPM jobs at Tech companies.

I think my weaknesses are that I have trouble staying concise and also I feel like it is not specific enough to what I have worked on. One other thought is that my Certifications & Associations section is pretty weak, so I could augment that for skills if I needed to put more information somewhere.

Any thoughts on how to improve it, or feedback on my concerns above is appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R0NDVnKIUrgIrlC0QObTSe2tLYm2Sm/view?usp=sharing

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Thanks for all the feedback! I’ll fix the grammar stuff, thanks for catching. I have a hard time with finding the right verbs.

I meant a resume that I could morph to both Tech. Prog. Manager and Product Manager. My goal here was to get something out for feedback that I thought captured my main highlights because I’d already been tweaking it for too long by myself.

I’m definitely interested in a transition to (Technical) Product Management, but I’m not sure how successful I’ll be with my experience to date so an option may be to jump over as a Technical Program Manager in the industry first. I feel like there are aspects of my TProgM job that roll into ProdMgr, but based on feedback here it looks like maybe it doesn’t, or I didn’t emphasize it enough.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 7, 2022