Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Thanks so much for this thread, I had an interview yesterday and between this and the Interview thread, I feel I knocked it out of the park. I was prepared for a small role-play segment, which may have taken me by surprise if it hadn't been mentioned there, and I thought deeply enough about "What is your greatest weakness" question that after I responded the interviewer said "I'm pretty sure that's actually called brilliant" which was just all sorts of fantastic.

My question is probably one that has never come up before in the history of ever. Is there a tactful way to negotiate a salary down? I have an income cap to qualify for financial aid for grad school for the rest of 2013 year, and I'm already partially there. I don't think that this new job will push me over the cap, but should it be a surprisingly generous offer, is it even possible to say "I appreciate that, I have a unique situation, could I work for less?" It feels wrong, and that I may be screwing someone else out of earnings (the interviewee that showed up after me was a casual friend in the field), but I really would love to have the position. It's great experience with the possibility of fantastic connections in my industry. Should I go over my gross income cap by even a dollar, I am disqualified for financial aid of many times the income I can earn. Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Is it a good idea to send anything back when you get an email saying you didn't get the job?