Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

First, thank you so much for this thread, I have so much anxiety about job-hunting and this has helped tremendously already. I have a question if you don't mind?

Bisty Q. posted:

[*] Unless this is your first job out of college, put your education at the end of the resume and emphasize it as little as possible. Do not include your GPA unless it is 3.5+.

I'm a second-year M.S. student. I want a full-time job, and my program is designed to be night classes only and most of my classmates have full-time jobs or are looking for one. I have a 4.0 in grad school so far and very little work experience, basically one semester-long internship. I've been told by my academic advisor to feature my education prominently on my resume, maybe even include specific information about courses I've taken. Is this good advice? Second, should I put my GPA on my resume? I'm a member of an honor society that only admits people with 4.0s, is just putting that on there enough or should I spell it out?

Thanks so much. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

Bisty Q. posted:

As a hiring manager, grad school GPA is worthless to me, but depending on your specific field education can be more or less important. I would still play the internship up far far more, though. Nobody cares about honor societies and bluntly basically everyone has a 3.9+ grad school GPA so it doesn't communicate any information to me.

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah. My company isn't a biotech company (just software), but whenever I see a resume with a GPA on it, that just says to me, "I have no real-world experience." That can be fine for an entry-level position, but it's also not really that useful.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will leave my GPA off my resume and emphasize the internship.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

Good thing I didn't give a poo poo about my grades! Glad to know all that effort doesn't mean poo poo to you guys and you only spend 20 seconds looking at if we worked at a Fortune 100 or Fortune 500 company.

To be honest, I have always looked at my GPA as more of a personal goal than something that would help in the real world. I figure the important parts are the level of degree and, in my specific case, local reputation of the program in terms of finding and landing that first job. It doesn't surprise me that GPA isn't even slightly important--in fact, it surprised me that the OP insinuated that there were circumstances under which one might want to put GPA on a resume at all.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

Hard NOP Life posted:

Yeah, when you're a fresh grad.

FrozenVent posted:

And you have a 4.0. If you bring attention to it, it better be good.

Now I'm confused. This directly contradicts the advice I was just given.

Job hunting is impossible. :psyduck:

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

I think I'm finally ready for a resume critique. I've almost posted this two or three times, then at the last minute decided it was all wrong and re-wrote it. I'm looking for a job as a tech writer, still working on my master's but it's a program designed to be done while working full time. I tried to follow all of the advice in the OP as best I could, please tell me if it still sucks! Thank you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijdpor1bqxz3z6u/ResumeCritique.doc

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

kells posted:

I'm just another internet person so you don't have to take my advice, but:

• You titled your first section 'Qualifications' but have not listed any qualifications there. Looks like experience or skills.
  • Also in the first section I'd suggest trying not to use the same word twice - perhaps change the first point to 'Experience translating Translated highly technical information...' so you don't have two 'Experience' sentences
  • "Developed the LinkedIn careers page as as part of the recruitment strategy..."
  • "Also Expanded recruitment/branding campaigns..."
  • If it were me I'd move the tutoring bit up into the 'Work History' section and flesh it out a bit, play up your being able to explain technical/scientific information in an accessible way

Just my 2c :)

Nice catch on the double "as" and you pointed out a few things that seems really obvious in retrospect. Thank so you so much for the help. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

I just got a call from a recruiter for Liberty Life Insurance. I am like 99% sure I don't want to work there, and a quick google suggests they pretty much hire anyone with a pulse anyway. Is it worth going to the interview just for practice? I don't have a lot of interview experience, but I'm not sure this company is even worth messing with for those purposes.