Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Any place that sells suits will have a tailor in house, worst comes to worst you can always take it to another guy. You need to get a suit NOW, because alterations can take a few days and you might not be happy with the result (And don't be afraid to ask for further fixes, you paid for this poo poo, it's their job to get it right.)

There's a suit thread in YLLS that might be worth a look, IIRC the OP has some info on how to fit a suit. You could also invest in a copy of GQ or esquire and take a good look at how the suits are tailored - length of the sleeves and pants, length of the shirt sleeves, etc. Salesmen always want your sleeves to be too long for some reason.

The one measurement they cannot fix is the width of the shoulder, so be very careful with that. Everything else - jacket length (Down to the base of your thumb when your arm is completely slack, should cover your butt just barely), sleeve length (at the wrist, maybe a quarter inch back to show some shirt), waist, pant length (just a bit of a "break"), pant waist, pant crotch, leg width, that can be fixed. Suit pants aren't skin tight, but they're usually tighter than say chinos or slacks. If you stick your wallet in your front pocket, it should show.

What I'm saying here is that tailoring is what makes a suit look good on you. If you can only afford a $200 suit, that's fine (Even though the suit thread would probably go "But for only $300 more!") as long as you get it tailored properly. Tailoring is 95% of the difference between "Going to prom!" and "grown up with a grown up job." You're starting up, nobody's expecting you to be wearing $5000 custom made Italian suits, and face it, not a whole lot of people wear those anyway. If you've got $300 to spend, buy $200-225 worth of clothes and spend the rest on adjustments. You'll be fine, just get it tailored so it doesn't look like you're wearing your dad's suit.

Also go navy or charcoal (Not black, charcoal. There's a subtle difference, that difference is between "funeral" and "going to work.") and if at all possible, prefer wool or at least a wool blend, as it breathes better and tend not to retain wrinkles as much. I'd say don't worry about patterns at all for now, just go for a solid color.

(My work wardrobe went from "'k you still can't quite see my balls in those jeans" to "corporate" last summer, so I spent a bit of time reading about suits, it's really quite interesting.)

Yes all of this, with the slight addition than that your jacket sleeve shouldn't go further back than your wristbone when you shoot your cuffs (i.e. arms straight out in front, wrists down and fingers balled). Sleeve length is a tough thing to get right, and the difference of one or two tenths of an inch can make a huge difference in looks depending on your build.

Though it looks like the poster with the initial question got it mostly right from the photos, aside from some slack in the elbows (is there an inseam?) and pant legs that look just slightly too long, but it's hard to tell without shoes. That might come down to personal style; to me, fitted suits need to look, well, fitted. I think you'll do just fine with that one regardless.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What the hell is a CV? I think it's a cover letter, but I don't get the V. What should go in my cover letter?

In the US, CV is often used interchangeably with resume, but they are in fact two different things as others have posted, and it's worth knowing the difference between the two. You can usually infer by the type of job you're applying for which one is intended; if you're at all uncertain, ask for clarification.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I like really formal-looking serifed fonts like Garamond, Palatino Linotype, Bookman, and so on.

Always use serifed fonts for the body of a resume, especially if the text is justified (and it drat well better be :)). Sans serif fonts are only for headings and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Chalets the Baka posted:

I had a really good interview last week, and I have one more this week with the CIO of the organization. It's for an entry level position in a fairly large organization and the interview is expected to be short. What should I expect interviewing with an executive officer? Will it be any different than a typical interviewand should I be preparing for it any differently? If so, how should I prepare and what kind of questions should I be asking?

You're at final cull. Long as you make a good impression and don't act like a gently caress up, you're golden.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Yeah, but using like, Times New Roman or Cambria doesn't, to me, look as nice.

It isn't so much about looking nice as it is about readability. Serifed fonts scan more easily because the serif (or 'foot') guides the eye along the line of text. If you don't like Cambria or Times, just pick something else that represents how professional you'd want to appear. MS Word has plenty of eligible examples, and choosing a proper font is actually not as spergy as you might think it would be.

If you don't want to delve into that aspect, the standard serifed fonts are more than acceptable. The bottom line is that a font without a serif will cause people to gloss over the text if they're reading quickly. Kind of like when you're reading a book and get through several pages before you realize that you have no idea or ability to recall just what the hell you've been reading for the last couple pages.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Misogynist posted:

It might arouse suspicion if your phone just happens to be off for a 4-hour chunk of time and your landline is going to the answering machine while you're supposed to be out sick.

The gently caress?

Turn your phone off, or leave it on mute. Don't think more of it than that.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I've been thinking about the "greatest weakness" question but every time I think of an honest answer that I've worked to overcome, I second guess myself to think that it will negatively impact my prospects.

My current answer for that question is, "I have had a tendency to take on a larger role in group projects than I really should, especially if I feel I can step in and improve . I've worked to overcome this by making sure that group projects have clearly delineated areas of responsibility and, if I see an aspect that could be improved, politely suggest to my colleague 'I like what you've done with X so far. I was thinking perhaps Y could make it even better." and offer to assistance if my colleague needs it."
(for example, I'm a very strong writer and tend to take on the role of writing and revising much of the writing aspect of any project, as well as working on my part of said project).

But I feel like this just comes across as "can't work well in groups/power-tripping jerk that takes over everything - reject!".
Is this an okay response?

My response to this is always a variation on "sometimes I get too involved in a project or task and end up working far harder than I should. I appreciate having a good work-life balance but I can occasionally lose sight of that for a little while at points along the way."

It's a positive quality (to an employer), sounds good, and since it's mostly true, I can easily point out recent concrete examples to make the point.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Misogynist posted:

As a hiring manager, this response would scream "rear end-kissing bullshit artist" more than "burnout risk." It's better than the other response, but not by much. At the risk of sounding like a person who indulges in schadenfreude, the concrete examples only improve things if your life is actually awful, like if you forgot your kid's recital or ruined a relationship because of your attachment to your work.

True. The second one, plus I actually took a month off from working after my last contract ended because I had so little time to actually have a life that I lost a couple friends and I needed that time to get my social life back in working order. Like we're talking 60-80 hour weeks.

Everyone can relate to working so hard you forget to have a life, at least in corporate land.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

KernelSlanders posted:

I would take forgetting a kid's recital as a very bad sign with regards to his time management ability. Next time he has three work assignments and personal engagement, maybe he'll forget to do one of the work assignments instead?

Yes, once you hire someone, you own them as well as their personal life, I agree.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

dakana posted:

Might score an interview soon with a decent-size university for a photographer position. It'd be in the marketing department. I've got no idea what the dress code would be like, so I don't have a good frame of reference for what to wear. My wife's telling me to suit up. A buddy of mine is telling me a nice button down & khakis. Thoughts?

Suit up.

Dress codes are for after you get hired.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Recruiters will ask for a Word version so that they can put their company letterhead/logo on it (if they want to, which is usually). It's a standard staffing practice.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mr Newsman posted:

Silkroad hiring

I hear the FBI is taking applications directly right now. Strike while the iron's hot.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Anachronist posted:

I feel like reference requirements depends a lot on field and experience level. I'm applying for entry level engineering positions right now and have only been asked for references once out of numerous applications. I put available on request and they still called to set up a phone interview.

Phone interviews are way more upstream of checking references in the hiring process.

In general, for most white-collar office-type jobs, reference checks are only performed for one candidate (the one they've already decided to hire). Sometimes if it comes down to a difficult choice I guess it could be a make-or-break type thing, but regardless, if it's done, it's only done quite late in the hiring process.

In other words, if someone's calling your references, you've probably gotten the job already.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Now taking bets that whoever is directing HR has five years of experience or less.

I've been through long drawn out interview and hiring processes before, but there was never a good outcome from them whether they resulted in me taking a position or not.

I wouldn't presume to say that the company is rear end-backwards yet, just based on the given information, but all of this is definitely a red flag that you should take into account when considering whether you want the job.

I may have missed this, but did they already tell you explicitly that you would be reimbursed for the travel costs? If so you shouldn't worry just because your POC for that is out of the office. If you were expecting to be but not told explicitly that you would be, you might be in trouble.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Omne posted:

She's right at that mark. There's about 200 total people in the company. This process is definitely making me wonder about them. I get that they started me down one path, then pivoted towards a different position that I hadn't formally applied for. Of course, they could be using me as a patsy and I'm not a legit candidate for either position, but it seems like that'd be a colossal waste of time.

Yes, they said they would reimburse me for the flight (but apparently not the hotel). We were supposed to take care of it while I was on-site but got sidetracked during the interview shuffle.

Being offered reimbursement for interview travel, at all, definitely does not indicate you're a patsy. Or, if you are, the company is so mismanaged that it isn't worth your time.

That being said, travel reimbursement for an interview should include lodging and a relocation stipend accompanying an eventual job offer. If those are not on the table (ask about lodging now at least, relocation later on if it has not been discussed already) then that is a bad sign on the administrative side of things.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Captain Cool posted:

All right, I have to ask the dumb question. How do I figure out what I want?

Start here and filter according to your details:

http://www.salary.com/

http://www.payscale.com/

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

It's nice that I was able to successfully bullshit my way through a 2 and a half hour interview, but how do I politely cut the cord here before things progress any further? Wait until the next phone call from the place and say sorry, looking into other opportunities?

Uh, put it out of your mind until/unless they get back to you? Then just say something like "I sincerely appreciate the time you spent on the interview process, but unfortunately after more consideration I feel that my goals don't align with $company's and I have to take a different direction at this point. I wish you the best of luck in your search for a candidate."

Or take the job and its income and spend your time immediately looking for a better one. Then feel pride in the fact that for once the company is getting screwed by its employee rather than the company screwing the employee.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
That's typical for service contracts. The trick to pricing strategy is (in an ideal world, where you can approximate a client's overhead and fringe costs) to set the fully-burdened billable rate (the cost charged to the client by the contractor) at just below that price point where it makes an attractive amount of cost savings. Because overhead and fringe (plus G&A, for government services contractors) together can make up around 30-40% of the total labor cost of an employee, a well run consulting firm has room to propose a sliding cost that includes fee (aka margin) and will still make a profit after their own internal overhead costs are taken into account while the total cost to the client is lower than the cost of an in-house employee.

Direct labor rate (what is actually being paid to you, as the contractor employee) is always going to be much lower than a fully burdened cost that a client is paying to the contracted company.

In other words, you're not accounting (enough?) for the indirect costs of an employee vs. a contractor employee. Looking at the numbers you gave, the rates don't look too out of the ordinary to me.

e: in case that wasn't what you're asking, it could also be that you're underestimating the buildup of indirect costs within your own company.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 20, 2015

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Last Saturday (Day after my interview), the company created a new job posting for the position I applied for on LinkedIn. I thought it was odd since they informed me that they still had two additional people to interview for the position. I wonder if they are hiring multiple people for the role or if this could be a bad sign that they did not find any good candidates (me).

GobiasIndustries posted:

That being said, the job posting going up on LinkedIn isn't a great sign; I'd assume you didn't get it and move on, and try calling mid next week as a follow-up if you haven't heard anything.

Not saying this is wrong (because that's impossible for anyone to know really), but in a company any larger than "tiny" or "small" this probably isn't a good event to infer anything from.

Linkedin requires job postings to expire after a certain set period, up to a maximum of 30 days. This expiration may even itself vary based on the package the company purchased with Linkedin that gives them the ability to create job postings. It may very well be that they have someone assigned to automatically renew any open job requisitions when they expire without any input from a hiring manager, whose position also may have little to nothing to do with the hiring process itself.

They really don't lose anything from re-posting an open req even if they're getting down to a very short list of candidates, which is why I said it's not good to infer anything.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Baronash posted:

Has anyone had their job search affected by the coronavirus and likely recession? I had what I thought was a great interview a couple weeks ago, and now I’m wondering if timing might leave me stuck where I am for another year. :suicide:

Not job searching, but yes. Every company in my area has shut down their recruiting temporarily. If literally anyone is getting interviews these days, they're probably either Jesus, Mohammad or our future alien overlords.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

I don't think you can make sweeping statements about that. I work in a low-margin manufacturing industry with relatively inelastic demand and price, due to governments being the primary customer. Declining raw material pricing makes us much more profitable.

This is a zero sum game so yes, you can. For every company like yours there's seven or eight others that are experiencing the opposite effects.

What it leads to is companies like yours getting swallowed up by the dwindling pool of mega-companies with increasingly larger portions of liquid capital.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Definitely not about resumes. Not even about hiring. Please keep our resume thread clean

I disagree. The state of hiring is directly impacted by what's being discussed. It's important for people visiting the thread because setting expectations is a fundamentally important part of job seeking. Resumes do that, but someone coming here for resume feedback needs to know the absolute abysmal state of hiring right now and why.

As far as the specific tone of discussion, no, it's not germane to the purpose of the thread though, I agree with that much.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Your posts suck and your rationale is worse. There are plenty of threads for general macroeconomic opinions, but this isn't one of them.

Slow down charlie, unless you own the company in question nothing I said had anything to do with you personally.

vvv
hit that ? my good man

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 22, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

bee posted:

I just did a phone screen for a job I applied for about three weeks ago. They said that if I progressed to the next stage there would be a video interview as per social distancing recommendations. I've never done a video interview before.

I have a quiet, home office workspace with a reliable fttp connection. Apart from checking my computer and equipment is tested and working beforehand, is there anything else I should do to prepare?

Have a script, doesn't need to be elaborate, in fact it shouldn't.

Just having a few short bullet points in front of you to make sure you're hitting all the points you want to hit is good, and it will look natural and not reading off a cue card

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Business posted:

I know the answer is 'just email them' but what's a good time to email after a phone screen if you haven't heard? A week? Two?

should I just ask people if their hiring is frozen?

Ordinarily the answer would be "don't" but considering the circumstances I don't think it'd be viewed poorly to check in with "hi, I wanted to see if you had any feedback for me after my phone screen on DATE. I hadn't heard back from you yet and I wanted to reaffirm my interest. Please get in touch when you're able to, thanks and be well" or something similar.

Timeframe doesn't really matter after a few days, they'll get to it when they get to it, if they ever will.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
That's some unarguable bullshit, and almost sounds like you were baited into it while under the impression it was some light banter between colleagues in the same field.

Truthfully it sounds like there was someone else in mind already, because nothing about even the two points of reference you elaborated on that they stated as justifications really send up a red flag, relatively speaking.

It's also a bullshit treadmill, piled with more bullshit, and an incredibly self-destructive system for hiring to ask candidates to compete with a bunch of other faceless unknowns like that by posing crap open ended questions about the ephemerality of "work." Pitting people against each other at the lower or lowest levels when none of them truly give a gently caress about the "passion for accounting" and just want a job that they can do well enough to keep the gears turning is one of the dumbest conceits of the myth of "business efficiency."

Sure there are probably more openings than candidates, but there's probably a lot more cost cutting you could do in the fat middle-management level (but really the C-suite :getin:)for most companies that actually want operate like that if they were concerned with staying "lean and efficient" or whatever terms are most in vogue for a given decade. Rather than essentially requiring people to pretend to be totally enthusiastic about everything about working in office building #3562 that there is to be known, anyway.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I'm interviewing right now and things are looking really positive. At what point in the process do I tell them my wife is having a baby in 6 weeks?

It's none of their business. The only thing that you're responsible for is making sure whatever arrangements you have to make with regard to your work are in place when/if you need to take any time off.

So as long as you're keeping that in mind and planning ahead, assuming you're offered the position, it's nothing they need to be informed about.

Might be worth letting your immediate supervisor know when it's like, 2 weeks from her due date, but nothing is obligated of you implicitly.

quick edit: this is assuming :911: but if you're asking you're probably american as well anyway

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Can confirm that it's not at all a faux-pa to back out of an offer--it's just a job, and people will understand if they're even remotely being honest that at-will employment cuts both ways, and you have to go with the opportunity that provides you with the best compensation and/or job function.

Note: does not apply to contractual work (unless you're DJT, where it's assumed you'll be reneging on any obligations).

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I'm on my phone so pardon any terseness, but don't go for any AS with the thinking that it will open any doors, because any opportunity that gates people through education just will not accept anything short of a four year degree. By all means do it if you want the skills, but trying to use an associates to qualify yourself for a job on paper is never going to help you in the slightest, and your BA already fills that checkbox anyway.

If you want to go that route, in all honesty it's better to portray and position it as work experience, and yes there are ways to do so considering that if you're contemplating an AS degree as a stepping stone, whatever you'd be applying to would probably be entry level.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Got a surprise interview with an Austrian logistics company tomorrow. I had an meeting with them scheduled for early March, but then the world ended and 4 months later they hit me up again. I’m amusing myself on what Terminator quote I should end the interview with and I think I’ve settled on, “now I know why you cry.”

But more seriously they claim they’re looking for someone who can create IT training documentation so I have a big pile of sanitized training docs I’ve created for other companies. This method worked really well with another company I interviewed with in late February and I’m pretty sure I would have gotten that job if not for the world ending in March. So who knows.

COVID or not you're 95% better prepared than anyone else so you've already done all the groundwork.

Hold off a bit on the quote though and don't force it

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Moneyball posted:

"How's your search going? Have you had any interviews?"

"I've sent off my resume to a few places, had some phone conversations, etc"

"Where?"

"Some billing specialist role in the city.. And some others."

"What companies?"

"Oh, I can't remember the names offhand. But no formal interviews yet."

"What were the companies though?"

"Oh no worries, I'll make sure that if you present any role to me, I'll check and make sure that they're not getting my resume from two agencies."

"I ask for names for your benefit. Can you get those over to me?"

If that's how you responded, that's good.

gently caress that scum.

That being said, if I need a job I have a second sanitized (removed all personal info aside from my name and state, altered job titles and generic company names; work history and experience otherwise accurate) resume I have on hand to use to fire back at those headhunter types just in case I really really do need a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

bee posted:

It just occurred to me that if I removed my work history prior to my degree, I could possibly come across on my resume as about ten years younger than my actual age because I didn't start university until I was 29. I'm now almost 40 and like everyone else who is job hunting right now, it's a challenge getting a callback for anything.

If people assumed that I started university straight out of school, and was a decade younger than my assumed age could it be of any benefit?

List your work history and then your education, because the former is going to matter a lot more whereas the latter is going to be checking a box for almost anything you're applying to.

e: good tip is to insert a separator of some sort (you can use the Word function of inserting a line object, for instance) which will visually delineate work history. If someone notices it, it gives you the opportunity to insert personal anecdotes in conversation about how you were working and then went back to school to better your skills, etc. If someone doesn't notice, then it still gives a linear impression of work history and experience.

caveat that this doesn't work at all if you're submitting things through automated systems (loving taleo)

e2: if this is a technical or academic field, put the educational history up front instead. same effect but better flow.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 31, 2020