Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Totally bombed a phone interview. I really hate them and I've only done 2 phone interviews before this ever. Also I was flying blind and was never sent a job description from the recruiter. I wasn't crazy at all about the company anyway. All around a disaster, but at least it wasn't for someone I wanted to actually work for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
How would you guys stop an interview process without burning too many bridges? I found out a bunch of nasty poo poo about a company that's interviewing me and I'm not really getting good vibes about working there. I knew they had a bad rap, but I thought it was just gossip, but I've found out they've pissed off a lot of people in the development and marketing communities with failure to pay workers, futile attempts at crashing other agency meetings with clients, and throwing temper tantrums on facebook.

So I just don't want to go any further.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’m a senior product designer pushing 10 years of experience in different technology design roles. Putting my resume together I’m looking at 3 “pages” that would be most relevant to Lead/Staff roles I want. It’s in quotes because everything I’m applying for is remote so I doubt pages really matter these days? A good quarter of the second page is dedicated to showing my success metrics in my current role. Basically, should I bother cutting the descriptions of some of the job duties in my older roles and just listing title, company, and time there to get it down to two?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 8, 2022

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Not professional at all run the hell away.

Any one of those points would get me a stern talking to from HR and my manager if I did any of those things in front of a candidate.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I have been out of work for about 6 months now, but I took a sabbatical after getting laid off from my position of 4 years. I'd just like a second set of eyes on my resume design and copy. I have it all in one figma, but comes to 2 pages at export. Hoping to really spin up the job search at the end of this month.

Resume Design

Text for quoting

I have been told it's great for an eComm designer resume.

I'm wondering if I should add that I have been focusing on my side hustle and growing that business and spent two month in Japan on an externship?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 4, 2024

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea I'd include a one-liner about 6 months of travel or a side hustle so that it doesn't just look like an ongoing, unplanned, 6 month gap. Its fine, good even, to have a side hustle that didnt turn into a FT thing.

Should be above my current experience, or just the first line in my summary? It's making functional ceramics, so technically still design just in a physical space.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 4, 2024

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

CarForumPoster posted:

Just make it your current experience starting at the end of your last job.

When you say functional ceramics do you mean engineered ceramics like refractory permanent mold casting molds, ceramic matrix composites, that sort of thing?

No art ceramics. Mugs and bowls, etc.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Better than a Ghost reference at least.

Now wondering if I should change my story from laid off to “tried a different career for a bit”

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Lockback posted:

I wouldn't say you left to do a business if you actually got laid off. Being laid off isn't horrid and it's better than outright lying, and if I catch a lie on a resume because I happen to know someone or w/e that is an immediate 3 strikes. Also people tend to be worse at lying in an interview than they think they are, stick to the truth (even if there's some veneer on it).

I think "I took some time off, I worked a bit on a small business, I traveled, now I'm looking for that next career step" is a perfectly fine story and your previous place being 4 years helps that as well. If you had a UX cert or class you took in that time it would help too as "I was working on my craft" usually goes over well.

Truth. I know what making a career in ceramic art entails and I'm definitely not there to go full-time, so it would be a bad lie.

Next is the UX Cert for me. I self-taught on my jobs as I was trained in print design, so I don't speak like I came out of UX program. I'm looking at finishing my Nielsen Norman managerial track and/or a Google Cert.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 5, 2024

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

moana posted:

My husband sent me that link when I was at pottery class :mad:

I missed this, but it's too true. Everything failed becomes a bowl.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Someone in my network got me in touch with some career coaches that are also recruiters. Here’s their recommendations

quote:

More than 5 years ago = Don’t mention it
Under a year = Don’t mention it
Maternity Leave = Parental Leave
School = Educational Leave
Just couldn’t find a job = Personal Sabbatical
Laid Off = Post-Layoff Job Search
Family Issues = Family Care Leave
Health Issues = Family Care Leave
Travel = Travel Leave
You moved = Relocation Leave

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

neogeo0823 posted:

Huh, I was just going to ask about this. So if I've got an application asking me to explain any gaps in my employment, and I've got an 8 month gap between jobs that was basically spent recovering my health and sanity from that job as well as searching for another one, then I should just not mention it in that section? Or what?

"6 months isn't even that long," she said to me.

I think a year long break is becoming more common and not as big of a eyebrow raise. Once you get over that then you get into the other reasons. Or just call it family care leave if you're super paranoid.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Add context about your company, most hiring managers will not know wtf Abstract Rectangle Company does that doesn't appear in regular news headlines or a popular product. Just a simple line about what they do and their hard numbers help here. Good spot to show scale.

Your most recent should have 6 points max, ones after 1-2 and more like a summary of accomplishments. If you got promoted list it as a first line in the newer position.

Formatting: Name, Personal Info, one sentence summary, work history, education then skills in that order. It should get picked up by a lot of HR software in that format. 11pt font. Name in 20pt font

https://leopard.fyi/blog/leopardfyi-resume-guidelines

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Workday does not like autofill or at least my dashlane

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I wrote out my resume then had ChatGPT improve it. I still had to go through and edit some of the fluff or contextualize a little more, but it was much better at conveying what I actually accomplished vs what I wrote.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I have a portfolio reviewI'm prepping for. Way overqualified for the job and they want to present in indesign. Gotta love state government. This is going to be practice for me for the bigger one next Monday.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I did title-fu for an older position, since they won't check up on you. Never had HR ask for any references older than my current role. But also I was hired as a Visual Designer and ended up in the end doing more UX/Product work so I felt fine smoothing it out. I also have the work to show for it.

My AI resume is really killing it. I've had two reach outs now from cold applying.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Missed an intro recruiter call even with my phone right next to me. Doubt I’ll get another chance :negative:

Edit: ok got rescheduled!

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 1, 2024

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Was on cloud nine last week, pretty despondent this week.

Mostly waiting on a final yes or no from one place. Everything else I have been rejected in various stages. I think some of it has to do with my geography, but I'm really over living in a big city and like where I am now. Also finally feeling settled after 1.5 years with making some friends, getting involved in my community, etc.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Lockback posted:

If your applying to remote-only jobs just keep plugging. There are mountains of people applying and interviewing, so whatever your normal expectations its going to be much more work.

The worst is when you missed a opening and now there’s 100+ applicants counted by LinkedIn.

Went to a networking event today. Trying the old fashioned way.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

broken pixel posted:

Thanks—I appreciate it. I've presented in front of groups plenty of times, but usually only 1 or 2 folks have the will/energy/knowledge to follow up.

I sent out a few applications today, including one to a local company I think I'd be a solid match for. I'm looking forward to, someday, having a portfolio that shows my live work rather than concepts. The vast majority of my files at the company that laid me off contained large amounts of confidential/NDA info, which is a huge issue for displaying competence at a glance.

UX is a poo poo show to get a job in too. I’m senior level and having trouble getting callbacks for stuff I’m super qualified for. I feel lucky in that I’ve had several first round to later interviews in one month.

I think a lot of layoffs in tech were in design and UXR so keep on it. It’s just not a good time to be in design right now, but my professor told me in school I will get laid off at least once. Nature of being a designer.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
There’s a bit of choice paralysis happening with employers. There’s so many options it can be overwhelming and make it easier to do nothing or put your hiring team through the wringer for the perfect candidate. Which is something I was chastised for by my manager when things were harder to hire and I was being picky. We always tried to look at applicable skills, but it’s easy to be picky today.

My whole job was about making it easier for people to make decisions for ordering off a restaurant menu, so it’s interesting to see this paradox take effect across a whole market.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I have encountered plenty of people with poor work life balances at mid-tier companies

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Have you had someone put it through ATS to see if it can be read? I had to stop exporting my resume from Figma cause Figma PDFs aren't readable somehow and someone flagged this for me.

Also a designer, I want to design my resume, but really scared of ATS rejections so i settle for what Teal can make for me.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’ll just make the ligma joke before anyone else does.

Ligma

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Adobe tried to buy it and I think that tells the thread how much of of a threat they considered it to be to their monopoly on the creative industry.

Also they're still going to kill XD so I guess they're giving up?!

Sketch you can't build prototypes, but I haven't touched Sketch in a few years so maybe they improved it?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I think anything older than 5 years can be a 2-3 sentence paragraph.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Mustang posted:

I used https://seattleresumes.com/ but the same people also run https://getresumehelp.com/contact-us/. Not sure why they have 2 different sites for the same service.

They talk to you over the phone a few times and send you a bunch of forms to fill out on their site. Lots of in-depth questions about yourself, your career, and your goals. They use all that stuff to write your resume and profile.

I reached out these people and they were very awesome and didn't make up an excuse to take my money. Did a quick review and said everything looks pretty good and just wrote me up some small corrections.

Still asked for a cover letter, but I am SO lost there.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

I'm not sure if I asked this before and I'm sorry if I'm redundant, but does anyone have suggestions for podcasts / youtube videos that mimic real interviews?

I had luck with "interview and feedback session for X position" on YouTube, but I'm watching portfolio reviews and interviews from some top design companies. A lot of what I have found is geared towards entry-level but it's still a nice refresher.

Or try to find people with some creds doing STAR videos too.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

I said come in! posted:

For those that have been laid off, especially in the last year, how was your mental state? How did/are you doing? Myself and my team were just laid off this last week and i'm freaking the gently caress out about it.

UX designer here. Mid to senior level with 8 years in industry.

I’m still looking and was laid off June 2023, but I took 6 months off before I started really searching. I was lucky as they gave me 3 months wages and medical, and I had just cashed in my ESPP, so with my emergency fund and being eligible for unemployment I am still financially in a great place. This was my first month actually pulling from my savings.

Mentally I was low enough to consider a new career but now I’m settling into wanting to go back into it. I’m learning some new skills and taking some cert classes in topics that interest me. I was burned the gently caress out so the year off has been fantastic. I’m so much healthier, even getting back into an exercise routine. I had some early luck in my search and I’m getting about 2 interview call backs a month. I would say I officially started looking in January this year.

I did some resume reviews by outside help, portfolio reviews by outside help, many revisions. This most recent one I’m finally getting out to try and have re-done my portfolio 3x. I also paid for a cover letter cause I’m terrible at those and I’m pretty happy with what I got. Trying it out now.

Currently in the interview pipeline with a startup a former colleague is gunning for me internally, and have one out waiting for review (city govt) plus just had a friend refer someone directly to me Friday. Work your LinkedIn search and try to find the hiring manager for the role and send them your resume directly. I have gotten a few screeners this way, or someone in your industry plus your city that works at the place.

What’s been the most depressing is seeing jobs pop up overseas in low cost of living countries. Timing is everything as roles get several hundred applicants so you need to be first 30. A lot go up at 5-6pm EOD in Mondays and Fridays.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 6, 2024

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I had two more opportunities drop into my lap, so 5 are happening. 4 are early and I’m in the middle of a take home challenge for 1. Nice to see a leak in the dam.

Will be 1 year unemployed in June, but I did take some time off to recover from burn out.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 12, 2024

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

fawning deference posted:

Which brings us back to my initial question: does that mean I'm probably not gonna get anywhere based on the current market?

Are you looking for us to tell you to throw in the towel on your career and you’ll never amount to anything? Cause it sounds like you’re fishing for that and when I’m dealing with terrible impostor syndrome I also do this.

Writing a resume is a skill and takes practice. Interviewing is a skill, it takes practice, which is why it’s recommended you do a few practice runs at places you don’t want to get hired. So many factors lead to an offer so I can’t read the tea leaves for you. If you want to move so badly you’ll make it happen, but sounds like you’re happy where you are? The market will turn around and maybe then take a serious effort, but sounds like you know your weaknesses.

Look into some classes that can help hone your storytelling skills. Having a story makes it easier to communicate and will make you a better developer. The best developers I’ve worked with are amazing storytellers. I really liked the one I did with IDEO U.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I hate that in doing a design challenge that is related to the companies product, but it’s also a great resume opportunity and I think the product is cool. At least they don’t want full pretty mocks. Just simple wireframes.

Not as excited about a different role in starting interviews on. I don’t even know what exactly they do. Something healthcare admin.