Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Five references is ridiculous. Call your friends and relatives clients and never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Quackles posted:

"Reduction In Force", aka a fancy way to say 'laid off'. I'm not sure what areas it's well-known in.

HR will know the term.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Lockback posted:

As always, until you have everything buttoned up continue to operate as if you don't have anything yet.

This. You don't have an offer until you have an offer letter, and you don't have a new job until it's signed and everything hiring-related is complete.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

My resume only exists in PDF format. If some place can only handle Word documents, they aren't getting me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you have no programming experience outside of your coursework, you're going to be a pretty unappealing candidate. Do you really have nothing at all?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Quackles posted:

I know this guy - he's busy but he's given me the OK to speak for him.

He decided to retrain in CS after his first Bachelor's (the history degree) couldn't get him any sort of job.

To the best of my knowledge, he doesn't have any project work outside of just the degree.

What advice would you have for helping him get hired in any position?

That's probably a better question for the newbie programmer thread over in CoC.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Fair enough! I can't argue with any of that.

Hiring at a lot of places was pretty willy-nilly 18 months ago, right? Is the current state of things just tough relative to that wild time, or are we talking tougher even than the Before Times?

The recent layoffs at a lot of big tech firms mean that there are more candidates and fewer openings than there have recently been. It'll shake out over the next few months but yeah, it's a bad time to be looking for a job right now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

nO oNe WaNtS tO wOrK aNy MoRe

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The posted requirements for the job aren't always a great indicator of what the actual requirements are. As a rule of thumb, people care more about the ones listed first, but that's not universal at all. You also don't know anything about other applicants, or the competence of the HR person who does that first pass.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

For sure. It's a numbers game and you shouldn't take rejection personally but it's still pretty goddamn frustrating at times, and even worse at other times.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

I have a really weird job question that I can't figure out how to google. Has anyone ever tried to negotiate a job offer into maybe including hiring, or bringing on a second specific person?

Like let's say Person A gets an offer for a job at a place Person B really wants a job at. Is there a way for Person A to negotiate an offer to be like "If you interview this person / hire them then I'll consider your offer more than others?"

I'm guessing no, and there isn't even a way to attempt to bring it up, which is why I wanted to ask strangers over doing something stupid, unless someone is like "actually that totally works, that's why nepotism was invented".

Professors negotiate spousal hires sometimes but other than that I've never heard of it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

LinkedIn profile pic is no big deal for us older white guys but it's probably not so clear cut for other groups.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

teen witch posted:

See that’s what I very much am not, and I feel like having it is an easy way to be disqualified. I’m fine being ruled out based on my merits, but I have wondered if I’d get more responses should I come off as more anonymous, visually.

Can people guess your demographics based on your name? If so, adding the profile picture probably isn't going to hurt you much more, and might help for anyone who does care about seeing a picture. If not, I'd be a little more cautious.

(I think there's an option to make your picture visible for your first degree connections only, but I've never looked into that.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

The Resume and Interview ULTRATHREAD: Say nothing and piss hot

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's not fair comparing anyone else against the government. Their hiring process is special.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

LaTeX makes it really easy to get your document layout to 95% but if you care about that last 5% you are in for a bad time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Family offices generally pay pretty well but your experience is going to depend a lot on the family in question and to what extent they perceive that you're making money form. It probably won't be a good time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Degrees shouldn't matter as much as they do once you have experience, but HR is dumb and they do. If you're experienced and have no college then getting a degree is maybe a little bit questionable, but if you have most of the credits finishing is the really smart thing to do outside of some specific circumstances.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah I agree with this, but especially in software dev no-one really cares

There isn't great data out there, but based on my experience this at least needs a big asterisk. You can get a job as a developer without a degree, but the search is going to be harder if you're outside of a tech hub or in a down market. And most of the anecdotes we have are from the last ten years, when low interest rates made startup money cheap; now that that's over, we may be looking at a leaner market for devs for quite some time. Additionally, the number of CS degrees awarded in recent years has exploded, and that's probably going to have a significant effect on the employment options of people without one.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It varies by field as well. Technical resumes are generally longer than non-technical, and if you have publications/patents/etc. then that one page limit is pretty hopeless.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Trickortreat posted:

Tell me about these recruiters on LinkedIn who want to help me land a job. Do I give them the full skinny on my toxic work culture or do I need to treat them like one of the hiring managers?

There are two types of recruiters, internal and external. Internal recruiters work for the company that they're hiring for and should be regarded as hiring managers. External recruiters work for a third party and get paid for placing candidates, so it's in their best interests to have you be presentable. The good ones can help you to develop answers to the sorts of questions that hiring managers are likely to ask (but not all of them are good).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There are recruiting firms that make their reputation by placing good candidates, but they tend to operate in more expensive markets.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Reputable recruiters don't charge candidates.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The YOSPOS interview thread has some good guidelines on how to assess startups in the first few posts. Worth a look if you're interested.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It depends on the company and your experience level, but yes, the days when every engineer could count on a purely technical interview are over.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Different companies have different rules for who can work where. Google has historically been very permissive, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start being more restrictive now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

spiritual bypass posted:

Do HR screeners send an "overqualified" category of response? Many of the rejections I receive include a line near the beginning like "although your accomplishments are very impressive." I don't remember this language in rejections at any point earlier in my career.
After working as a director for 9 months, then being laid off, I'd really just like to get a normal software engineering job again, but it feels impossible. Maybe I do need to apply for manager/director roles if I don't want to be unemployed forever.

That's a tough job search. I'd recommend relying on your network rather than looking at job postings.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

I have had that happen a few times with outside recruiter firms and once with a huge company (+10K employees), so I wouldn't exactly call it normal. When it happens, I've found that first layer is extremely perfunctory. They read from a script that exactly matches what is in the job description, make no input themselves, lack the the ability to assess your suitability and could be replaced by one of those LinkedIn application questionnaires. They are the speed bump before getting to their boss, who will often call you at a different time.

It's a huge loving waste of time. Hey, rear end in a top hat, I obviously felt like I fit the job description well enough or I wouldn't have wasted my time applying. Now I need to attempt to explain it to a person who has no input in the process for literally no reason. I cannot imagine them failing to pass someone to the next level unless people are applying for jobs not even remotely suitable for them. "Well, I've been a baker for 15 years, but I'm looking for a change so I'm applying to be an Actuarial Manager."

The worst part is when they have these people asking technical questions that don't have a simple answer and you have to guess what's on the sheet that they're reading from.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There is absolutely no consistency across programs as to what qualifies as a BA or a BS. Some schools only award one degree, others have different requirements per major, and maybe a few schools have a standard policy (but I certainly can't think of one). Don't worry about that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You're not going to be able to say what sort of culture you prefer until you've worked in a few, but you can speak about what you like and dislike about your current employer. Think of an answer in those terms and you'll be ahead of 90% of candidates.

Habibi posted:

It is a very...broad and not useful question to ask, IMO.

It makes sense for a fairly senior role but below that level it is a little funky.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So I applied for a job, had a talk with a recruiter person, and then got ghosted. However, I saw that the exact same job has been reposted a few days ago. Is it kosher to reapply for the job again?

You won't get blocklisted or anything, but it's pretty unlikely that you'll get a response. If you're OK with that, give it a shot.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Six Sigma is based on a statistical framework whose assumptions apply to manufacturing and other domains where you can run a process exactly the same way twice or tweak exactly one thing about it. The further away you get from that, the less applicable it is. For any sort of creative work it's a total boondoggle.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It never happens as fast as they say it will. Go find something to distract yourself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s a good strategy in general and is likely to work on other companies, but it’s not likely to work on a government org. It doesn’t hurt to try but since it’s unlikely to work, you need to decide whether you are willing to decline offers to wait for C.

This isn't strong enough. Government hiring runs on its own timeline and they will not adjust it for you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Take old job offer and keep hunting for a change.

Pretty much this, but watch out for burning bridges.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

After we laid them off, then brought them back with literally apology pay, they weren't loyal! Can you beli8eve that?! gently caress that noise.

The manager, not the company.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Chewbecca posted:

You should definitely always put the newest education first imo. Why would you list a bachelor's above a PhD?!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If I got one I'd wonder how the person got my email address.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shipon posted:

Did your program not give you a masters along the way?

Most programs won't award you a master's unless you apply for it, and if you're about to graduate with the doctorate, there's very little value. I had to fill in an extra half page form to get mine and it hasn't been worth that much effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why even list the job if it's just going to be an internal hire? If it's gov'ment, they kinda have to, but some random corp going trying to find a patsy seems like a waste of time for everyone.

A lot of companies have policies that require them to.