Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Jewce posted:

First off, thanks to regular posters here who keep on dispensing such valuable advice. This thread was a good resource for helping me to get my resume where it is today. However, right now I am hitting a wall.

I think that I got rid of all the fluff and state pretty clearly what I do and what I have done. The problem is that I'm having trouble listing my results. I did a lot of things, but I don't know the impact of my actions in terms of percentage gain or improvement in most cases. I started my own company two years ago and really spent the whole time developing my services, writing material, doing patent stuff, etc... I can't say that I got 15% growth or whatever cause I haven't made a dime, I've only built some relationships with people who are helping me to pilot things.

I've attached a copy of my resume so you can see what I mean. Do you think there are any points that really stand out as needing results listed or do you think this resume is worth a shot? Of course, any feedback on the resume as a whole would be appreciated. My goal is to get an internship so I can finish my graduate program, but then stay on cause I don't want to start a business anymore.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82aTzReF7aoaXdDZnFIVVZDamc/edit?usp=sharing (Sorry for the space between the bullets. They got messed up when uploading to Drive and I can't fix them)

You don't have 2 pages worth of experience, trim it to 1. Leave off skills and interests. Your summary paragraph is vacuous and content-free. I read it 4 times and still can't articulate what you actually want to do. If you want to be an I/O consultant, say that. If you want to do org change, say that.

You also don't need to include info on what the organizations do. Also, "wrote a test" and "applied for a patent" are not accomplishments. These are job duties dressed-up. Who have you licensed the assessment to? How many people have taken it? What were the results of your pilot studies? How have actual clients used this assessment to meet business goals? That's the kind of thing you should be talking about.

The research analyst stuff is... better? This is still reading like a list of job duties to me more than anything interest accomplishment-wise, except for the first bullet. Reading this resume honestly bores me and doesn't get me excited about what you can contribute. It's just like "yeah, you sure were a research assistant".

Not to be harsh here, just trying to be real -- as a hiring manager, this is what I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Yes, your revised bullet is much more on target with what it should be.

I'm aware of what goes into constructing a test, and it would be far more compelling if you could talk about why you did it and who is using it; even if you just tie it into having articles published. You really want to focus on "What can you do for me?" as the question to answer. Being able to have every bullet point be a high-impact statement of something awesome matters a lot.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Revalis Enai posted:

I revised my resume according to the OP and personally I think it looks a lot better. I removed my GPA(which was 3.1), removed jobs unrelated to the position I'm applying, moved my education below my experience, and provided achievements instead of just listing my responsibilities.

What I still don't get is the cover letter. I get so many contradicting tips I don't know which one to follow. Should I put my contact info? If yes, on the top or on the bottom? And how long should the cover letter be? Some say one paragraph, some say three.

Neither of those things really matter. Put the contact info or don't. Make it one paragraph or 3. Doesn't particularly matter. What matters is that your cover letter provides additional context around why you want that job and how you fit the major qualifications. That's what really provides impact there.

Don't make your cover letter longer than a page and at least make sure your name is on it. Those are probably the only hard-and-fast rules.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
^: That's just an example of something that will get read. You are free to enflower it if you'd like, but I wouldn't go crazy. People often post "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO WRITE" so that is an idea.

lol internet. posted:

Dumb question when a company wants to give you a job offer, do they still tell you verbally? or do some just send an email? I actually can't even remember how my last couple places offered a job to me.

They will always call you first.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Agreed heavily with DD's feedback on listing and how to list your portfolio. You should 100% absolutely include it.

The rest of his (?) feedback is pretty good as well. Regarding your dissertation research, I'd still put it in an independent research section. Showing that you took the initiative to do something that's not part of your fellowship is a valuable distinction.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

lol internet. posted:

I actually think I have another job offer coming up (one I prefer more then another job offer I just got Friday.)

One of my references told me they had a voicemail requesting a reference call back. I wanted to follow up with the company anyways as it's almost been two weeks (tomorrow.) Should I mention I have another job offer on the table but I wanted to follow up with them as it's my preferable place of employment?

Sure, if it's been that long, no harm done.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, I never send my different versions to the same position, that's just silly. I pick whichever one seems the most appropriate for the position. I had two resumes constructed by RTI; "Teacher/Instructor" and "Field biologist." I decided to make a third one, "Lab biologist," using those two as guides. Each of them are largely the same, except emphasis is placed on different skills and roles of previous positions. However, this is done at the cost of removing some other things that aren't necessarily directly relevant, but can certainly be useful, to make it more concise.

Should I just make an all-purpose "All Info" resume, then? As I said, I have very little industry experience (one four-month position that I did four years ago). The rest is grad school projects and teaching assistantships.

No, you should not make an "everything" resume unless you are going to scattershot it and protip: don't scattershot it.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

I think Bisty means "Send resume to anything and everything that could work."

All that's going to do is get you a bunch of generic emails telling you to buzz off.

Yeah, this. A lot of people get the horrible horrible horrible advice to blanket the world with their resumes in hope that some sucker company will accidentally call you. This is an awful idea, because it is completely transparent and a huge waste of your time. Tailor each application package to the job and you have a much much much higher chance of it being remotely successful.

When I get a scattershot resume, I don't even read it. Literally. Resumes where the person tried get more than my initial scan, but generally with most resumes that come in, it's "scan -> see 'objective' or 'summary' that applies to a completely different job -> recycle bin".

You should be picky about your jobs too; this is a Major Life Decision and you don't want to rush into something.

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 29, 2013

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

outlier posted:

Looking for interview advice or impressions. I've snipped a lot of the details from my experiences, not so much for privacy but just to get the generic details down. I figure others must have encountered this sort of thing.

:words:
You're thinking too big picture. You want to articulate a vision, sure, but these people want someone tactical on the ground now who can step in and say "if we do X, Y, and Z, we'll be able to turbo 40% more encabulators this year" rather than someone who can come up with some imaginary unlimited-resource plan.

Basically it sounds like you aren't giving them enough detail to make them feel like they can trust you to DO the job right now and that instead you are selling them ideas rather than answers. I'd focus more on short-term stuff even in your vision rather than giving a long-term goal and talk about how you specifically can help solve a short term pain point. If they don't list one, ask for one; that is allowed. :)

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

Are cover letters really this simple? I've been going about writing these all wrong.

EDIT: Also, I remember this coming up, but can't seem to find the relevant posts, but what do you do when in the online application form they ask for previous salary and salary requirements and it's a required question you have to answer before you can submit the form? My current salary is from my internship position which pays well, but is still going to look small next to what I would be asking in negotiation.

I promise they are this simple.

Put in $1 - it will be obvious you just answered something to make the form go. I have yet to encounter any company that actually uses the form values as cutoffs, they just want to have it in there so they can negotiate from an advantageous position later. If it gets to the point where you're talking about money, you can mention why you didn't put the 'real' value in (because it's an internship).

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

cumulonimbus posted:

I have a question about contacting a potential employer. If this makes a difference, this position is in city-level government, entry-level and was applied to via their city-specific application system, with supplements sent via email.

My question is, is it appropriate to send an inquiry about the position? I know that they are "hiring" through Feb 25th, but I got this email November 25, 2013. I feel like I wouldn't have received it were I not being seriously considered. I just want to ask if they have hired a candidate or if the interview process is still ongoing.

You can ask, but I wouldn't expect a response. They likely filled the position shortly after certifying the list of eligibles, but it's worth a shot to get 'closure' on the status.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Eternal Hobo posted:

A question regarding cover letters. One resource I read said that you should close out the letter by saying that you should mention that you will be following up by contacting their office to discuss the position and your qualifications. Is this something that should be done? To me it seems like you're trying to force yourself on them but could that extra push make a difference in their minds?

The OP posted:

Retail/Call Centers (god help you) -- this is the only case where you have permission to physically show up there or to call and harrass people about your application. Both of these types of jobs get so many people in the door that unless you're on the top of their stack, you aren't getting considered. Also, neither of these types of jobs almost ever need resumes.

generally speaking, this includes things like putting it on your cover letter. Unless you are applying for a sales job at Glengarry Glenn Ross, do not do the pushy "I'll call you to talk about when you can interview me" bullshit, because it's the fastest way for me to shitcan your resume.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

This didn't get any love since I stuck it up a few days back, could somebody possibly have a look over it? Thanks :)

vv That's good to hear. Thanks

This is completely fine, though I would still remove the references line and I think your initial summary reads a bit conversationally for my taste. Still, neither of those are dealbreakers and I think you'd be fine with it as is.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

What do I do if the application form has no spot for a cover letter? Do I just exclude it, or include it as a first/second page of my resume?

Either. If you feel extremely strongly about your cover letter's strength, include it at the beginning of your resume, but otherwise I'd just skip it.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I'm applying for a position for the first time in about 10 years. The OP has been very helpful in getting my resume in shape. However I'm a bit stumped on who to provide as references and I didn't see anything in the OP or searching the first and last page of the thread, other than debating whether to include them initially or not.

Obviously family is out. What about friends? People I've done a bit of work for a few years ago? Someone I work with in a volunteer organization that is completely unrelated to the type of work I'm applying for?

Don't 'provide' references, unless they are explicitly asked for. If they are, provide past supervisors. Anything else is a red flag, anyone who did not work with you is a huge red flag.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I got a call about a week or so about an application I sent. It wasn't a request for an interview or anything, she just called and asked if I would also consider another position. I sort of got the idea that they would be calling me again sometime soon, but it wasn't explicitly stated. The position(s) I applied is no longer posted on the website.

Would it be okay to give them a call back and inquire about the status of my application or should I take the silence as a hint for not being considered for the position?

The latter; they may still want for you the alternate position, though, and you could inquire about that.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

angst emotion posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice in this thread, and the feedback on my resume. I start my new job on Monday! Thanks thread!

:hellyeah:

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Are programmers and related trades the only people who ask interviewees puzzle questions? Seems like its a fun thing that can take the edge off but also useful. Curious if other disciplines do it as well.

That and management consulting. Statistically, btw, puzzle questions (like "how many ping-pong balls fit in a bus") are worse than worthless when predicting employment success.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

prezbuluskey posted:

Great, thanks!

Also this is a dumb question but its in DC (actually rosslyn) and we have a massive snowstorm coming in. I don't know their cancellation policy, and I plan on taking the metro to get in, but has anyone dealt with this on a first day?

Call whoever your HR person is if you start seeing reports of half the city closing. Otherwise, take a cab or whatever to make sure you get there. Don't be late on your first day unless the snowstorm is Armageddon. Even then... I probably wouldn't want to risk it.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I ignore it, and have gotten job interviews even if the job posting explicitly said to include salary expectations.

I would not ever tell them what I currently make, but if I was going to say what I wanted, I would say something like "... would expect a salary of $x to $y, depending on the particulars of the position and benefit package that was offered", with $x to $y being a relatively broad range.

Yeah, I should probably put this in the OP. You should literally never list your current salary, as the only possible reason they care is to lowball you offer-wise.

Even if it says it's required, I would ignore that and not send it. I would also not send 'salary requirements' -- if you are tailoring your resumes and explaining why you are the ideal fit for the job, you'll probably still get pings, and if you don't - you didn't want to work there anyway. I know that sounds smug in this economy, but really, you don't want to work for a place that starts things off by trying to bring you in as absolutely 100% as cheap as is humanly possible.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Don't put your GPA on your resume unless it's above 3.5, or you are applying to a program that lists a cutoff and you are above the cutoff.

"To whom it may concern" is fine.

Don't call a loving HR department trying to find out the hiring manager's name. It will not endear you to anyone and I promise you it doesn't matter. Most good HR departments also won't volunteer that information.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Unknownmass posted:

It has been over a month after I applied for a position and heard nothing back. Is it worth responding to the position again as the website still has it listed?

And I do not understand how a hiring manager does not send a rejection email after I have all ready interviewed and there was only 5 candidates. It has been over two and half weeks so I get I was not selected, but it must be to much work to send a one line email for some people.

No, it isn't worth reapplying. They know you're interested.

It generally isn't the "sending the email" part, it's the "dealing with the nos" part the hiring managers don't want to do. That said, if you've done an interview, I consider it a tremendous breach of professionalism to not send a rejection notice. If you agree, use http://www.emailyourinterviewer.com/ and send them an anonymous message (but note the requirements about followups and timelines before you use their service.)

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

I want to move to a new area. Are potential employers likely to file my CV in the bin if the see my address is 200 miles away? I could give a relative's address.

Maybe. I'd list the relative's address to be safe.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

Just pushing this back up since I never got a response.

I just sent my preferred interview date and am waiting to get confirmation that they received it. If they don't mention arranging travel then, I'll be asking. I just don't know if there's a best way to ask that question since I've never interviewed out of state before.

You should assume you're going to have to bankroll it yourself; if they are willing to offer travel assistance, they'll offer it when they confirm the interview date ("and to make arrangements for travel, you should do X").

If they aren't, asking will likely make you seem a little naive, unless you are applying for extremely senior or in-demand positions... in which case, they will be offering it to you.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Had an one-on-one interview, was offered a second interview (panel) on the spot. I want to send a thank you letter to the interviewer, and wanted to run this by to make sure it sounded okay. I know it's more or less a formality, but this is for a big company with lots of positions that I would like to work for and the more bridges I can build out of this, the better.

It's a perfectly perfunctory yawnfest of a thank-you note that the person will read and go "that's nice" and then immediately delete, so if that's what you were going for, good job.

If not, try including something specific that you talked about and provide an insightful comment about it. Something to show you actually thought about the interview/job and didn't just prepare this letter last year and send it to every place you interview at. Perhaps something like "I was glad to talk to you about your problems with the chocolate teapot injection mold maker. It was very gratifying to get an inside look at the chocolate teapot industry and I'm excited to move forward in the process and to potentially be able to help you tackle these issues."

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

There weren't too many specifics discussed at this interview. Like, I know the position is CAD work, but not what I will be designing (obviously I know what the company makes, their main product, but how will my work tie into that, I don't know). The company uses a kind of "in-house outsourced" staffing agency (the staffing agency's HQ is actually inside the company's HQ), and this interview was with their recruiter, more or less. (Basic goal of this interview was to prove that I was a functional human being, and could reliably show up to work on time in proper attire, pretty much). Though the interviewer did mention about the position/department growing, so maybe taking a bit from what you said to say something like "I was glad to talk with you about Company expanding their department. I'm excited to move forward in the process and to potentially be part of an industry leading team that is growing."

Would it be smart to tie in something related to the fact that a few different members of my family have worked for this company, which is part of the reason I'd like to work for them? Or would that be stupid? It'd probably be stupid wouldn't it?

Yes to the first part - that sounds fine and hopefully is what you sent. Literally mentioning anything you talked about immediately sets you apart.

For the second part, yes again on your intuition - it would come across as naive. While it's cool and is something you could mention after you started, I wouldn't say it before the offer stage.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Xanderg posted:

I have a few quick questions;

A year ago I interviewed with this organization for an assistant job and one of the questions I was asked was "what are three traits you like in a manager and what are three traits you dislike?" She said this was so they knew who best to pair people off with, but I'm also wondering if this is a way to identify flaws in a candidate? Am I reading too much into this?

Reason I ask is because I applied for a different job but with the same organization, one that matches my skillset better and now I have more experience as well, I'm wondering if the same question comes up again what the appropriate answer is?

Also if I am interviewed by the same person should I acknowledge that she interviewed me a year ago for a different job? I feel like being able to show I can remember those details are good, but acknowledging that I was a candidate they previously turned down might be bad unless I can spin it by saying something along the lines of "The position I'm interviewing for now is a better match for what my skillset is, not to mention over the past year I've acquired a far greater amount of experience within this field."
There's not really a right answer for a question like that and it (generally) isn't a trick - they actually want to know if your management style will mesh with the person in that role. You don't want to lie here -- if you say things you think will sound good but don't represent your real feelings, you may be very upset when it turns out your manager has the traits you thought sounded good.

I think being direct and stating your preference is what is ultimately the right idea here. Remember, you're not desperate for a job and you're interviewing the place too. You should be able to walk in proud and excited on the first day.

Re: mentioning you were a reject, it will look super odd if it is the same person and you don't mention it. I'd just say something like "Oh, hi again - I interviewed with you a year ago for the Chocolate Teapot Apprentice job and you were right that it wasn't a fit for me at the time - I think this new role is exactly in line with where my strengths lie". While most of us interview lots of people, we will probably remember you if you came in for an in-person interview. If you had just done phone screens, you could probably have gotten away with it, but not if it's the same person in person again.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

the_american_dream posted:

Right, so I'm currently in the waiting game. Had my interview Wednesday and that went very well. Good enough for the hiring manager to lay down the process to me and tell me I'll be interviewing next with next in line.
So yesterday I get the call from the recruiter but was unable to pick up (was at my desk at the current job) no vm left. I called back about an hour later then 3 hours after that leaving a vm. Unfortunately I still haven't heard back and I was really hoping to schedule something today since i had a half day or Monday when I'll be off and it's not the easiest process getting time off. Is it appropriate sending a follow up email at this point or just be patient like a big boy?

Suck it up; there's no way they can throw together an interview with under 1 business days' notice unless they are desperate to hire you.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Claverjoe posted:

In the same vein, I got a business card from the CEO of a small company who told me to send him my resume, which I did last Thursday. Should I wait a week and call him to ask if he received it/had a chance to look at it?

Noooooooo. You should not call him at all.

quote:

I got an interview! But I forgot to save the job posting and its been removed from the site. Is it alright to ask HR for a copy? I could really use it to prepare and show to my contacts there.

Yessssss.

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 26, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

"Oh, you lost your job? You should send me your resume." is the business equivalent of "you moved back in town? We should totally hang out sometimes!"

Sorry, dude.

Yeah, didn't want to say that so bluntly because you seemed so optimistic, but this. Again, if they're into you, they'll call you.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

PlacidPanic posted:

I'm in my second year of college and currently filling out the application for an engineering coop program that I really want to get into. One of the questions asks "What is your most outstanding accomplishment to date? Why do you think so?" To me what immediately comes to mind is the fact that I spent my early twenties homeless and neck-deep in alcohol addiction and now after being sober for five years I'm maintaining a 3.99 GPA in an engineering program, leading a team in the robotics club and generally feeling healthy and happy to be alive.

Would it be bad for me to mention that on the application? I'm really proud of having gotten my poo poo together after it being so bleak but I'm not sure if even the words "addiction" or "homeless" might make potential interviewers uncomfortable.

Yeeeaaaaah, do not put either of those words on a job application ever. Think up something else.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Another question:

I cold-called a company in my industry where I'm moving and they said they didn't have any open positions but they'd be more than happy to have me visit and meet their team so I'm going next Friday. Should I bring my resume or would that seem presumptuous since they already told me they didn't have any open positions at the moment? They have it on file as I emailed it to them during the cold calling.

You should have it, in case any of the team members ask you for a copy. It looks nice to have it handy.

As an aside, what a weird thing for a company to do. Seems like a huge waste of time for people at that company, unless you are in some especially bizzarre/high-demand field.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm applying to a lot of jobs in California but I'm currently living in Texas. Is it a good or bad idea to use my parents' CA address on my resume? I feel like it would get me past the initial filtering, but I would have to explain why I lied later on.

Use the California one and be 'temporarily out of the state' if they try to schedule an interview for the next day. Note that leaving off your address (at least your city and state) will make people assume you are remote and potentially discount you.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

megazord posted:

What the hell? Empty threats, right?

yep!

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

So I got a call back from one of my job interviews today, and they explicitly told me I was the exact candidate they were looking for but they were not going to offer me the position because my husband is in the military. This is illegal, isn't it? Is there anything I can do about it other than be angry about it for a little while then continue applying elsewhere?

Legally they may discriminate against you, but not him. There's nothing you can do. Sucks, but that's the law.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Lilli posted:

What's standard procedure for whether you should bother with a cover letter when you're applying for a listing by the company you're currently working at. Saw an opening today of a job I have been keeping my eye out for and I wasn't sure if I should bother uploading a cover letter since I feel kind of silly being like "I would be a good fit because of all this valuable experience I gained while working for you guys."

You should absolutely write a cover letter and include that. Use it to brag about specific teams you have relationships with, projects you've worked on, people you know, and the like that are relevant to the new role.

This is the best time to use cover letters because there is a very high chance they will be read.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

drat Bananas posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I was going to change the title on my resume - I was more hoping to come up with better search terms to type into Monster etc to find similar positions for hire. Database updater? Database recordskeeper? I guess it is quite literally data entry, but it was a bit more complicated than the 10$/hr data entry jobs that come up when I search that phrase. :)

Business analyst.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

I have a question about work experience, one of my jobs had a main corporate office off in like the midwest, and the actual district office I got my orders from, which should I fill out on a resume/questionnaire when they ask?

The one where your manager works from, generally.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Currently going through an interview process with a company and I have to fill out a 1.5 - 2 hour assessment test by Apogee Business Group - http://apogeebg.com/

Does anyone have any experience with this? Seems like there are going to be math / word definition sections along with who knows what.

Psuedoscientific garbage plus a bad IQ test. Just answer how the stereotypical version of the person in the role you're applying for would behave. If you're applying for a sales job, answer all the questions like Dwight Schrute.

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
If you've applied for 'hundreds' of jobs you aren't filtering your search enough and I doubt you're investing enough into each position. You have to only apply for jobs that are a fit for you, and you have to tailor your resume and cover letters to make it sound like you want ONLY that job and that you are the perfect candidate for it.

This:

quote:

I want a stable salary position with a company I admire working for
is a pipe dream until you have some actual meaningful experience. Most people's first "real" job is poo poo. That's the way it works. If you're turning your nose up at applying to places because they don't ~inspire you~ then that's a problem with you, not them.