Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Should I lie about my current salary? I feel like I'm paid normally for where I live and what I'm expected to do. But salaries a quite a bit higher in the region I am applying. Are the thinking I'm not making enough and am therefore bad?

Your current salary is none of their loving business. If they ask you what you are currently making, and you are too scared to call them on it and decline to answer (e.g. "There's many factors that go into figuring out salary - let's figure out if I'm the right fit first, then we can discuss that. If you'd like to share your range so we can figure out if we're in the same ballpark, that'd be fine."), say "My cash compensation requirement is $X". That way you aren't lying, and they can't lowball you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

toe knee hand posted:

I had an interview today. It went okay (not great, but it was for a position that's possibly a bit beyond me, so fine) and one thing I noticed was I tended to trail off at the end of my answers to questions. They were competency-based, not bs questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years", but rather "tell me about a time when you did this specific thing that would be useful for the job". Tips on how to end answers to questions like that firmly and positively without just trailing off?

An easy way to do this is to end by tying your answer to the job itself. Example:

Q: Tell me about a time when you had to fix a production issue.
A: In my last job, I once stopped the line because I noticed the vanilla coating on our vanilla teapots was the wrong thickness. I pulled a sample, took it to QA and had them test it, then walked the line with the supervisor until we found the machine that was out of vanilla, and filled it back up. We got back to full production in about 30 minutes. (You could just end here, or:) Since this job involves making chocolate teapots, I'd probably do something similar here if I noticed production problems.

Remember, these questions beg for the "STAR" answer, and once you've given those 4 elements, you've told a complete story. Ending the story doesn't mean 'trailing off' as long as you tell completely what happened and why it was important. :)

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

I have to remind myself to put my middle name (or at least initial) down whenever possible, only because my email address is firstnamemiddlename, but because my middle name is really unique, multiple people have told me that they thought it was a weird anime thing or something. Dumb problem, I know, but I'm somehow afraid people will see it and interpret as something unprofessional.

A few weeks ago, I spoke to a recruiter for a company I had applied to in the city where I'm moving. She was really interested in setting up an interview, but because she was trying to fill up a new hire training session on Sep 28, and I'm not moving until Oct 3, she told me that I should send her an email once I'm in town, so that we can set something up then. How should I word the email?

Hi $recruiter,

We spoke on $date about an opportunity as a chocolate teapot tester at Consolidated Teapots, LLLP. You suggested I contact you once I arrived in East Bumblefuck, and I'm happy to report that I'm settled in and would love to speak with you more about moving forward in your process.

My contact info is below.

Name
Email
Phone

Best,
Your Full Name Here

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

stickykeys posted:

I saw a website that says when you're asked "Tell me about yourself" you should spend 10 minutes running through what's on your CV, what you do in your job. But I spoke to someone who has experience with recruitment who says she doesn't like people who answer like that since it's already on the CV and talking about your job isn't telling people about yourself.

An answer she suggested was tiny compared to what I'd planned and started off talking about how many kids she had, where she used to live but then did move onto why she choose to move into her current career. The whole thing was probably 30-60 seconds, went into no detail at all about what was on her CV ... I suppose the intention was to show a bit of personality, give the interviewer the chance to ask her to expand

Is that a good way of answering that question?

No. "Tell me about yourself" is "Summarize your professional life in 2-3 minutes". It is not NOT NOT anything about your kids or where you live or your life's story. "How you got into this field" maaaay be relevant but I'd err on the side of only mentioning it in passing or if you have a documented extreme passion (e.g. "I won a national competition on Chocolate Teapot Manufacturing in High School and decided I would pursue this industry ever since".)

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Shipon posted:

Looking for new graduate positions and there are an awful lot of entry-level job positions that list the names of target universities and specify that only students from those universities are allowed to apply. Is there going to be any way around this, or is it just a fact of the job market that if you don't happen to go to one of these schools you're locked out of certain positions? This is in engineering.

There is probably a different job description that is for people not from the targeted schools. It may or may not just be an ignore hotline, but you should try to find and apply to it. I can pretty much guarantee if you apply to the targeted school req and are not from a targeted school, you will not get a callback.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Knight Corgi posted:

The reason why you should worry about blacklisting is that you may want to try out your luck in few years (I had a blacklist that lasted for 2 or 3 years) , if you manage to get something nice for a few years elsewhere (and with the help of some recommendation too).
Do some research. If they are famous for blacklisting rejected applications, wait a few years but seriously don't make it your main objective.

(Large) Employers in the US don't generally blacklist people and certainly would not for "they applied to the wrong req".

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Methanar posted:

Tell me why my resume and cover letter suck.

Google drive kind of screws up the formatting so pretend the second half fits properly on the second page, or just download it and open it in word.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B57W-Dq1KiiXSzNySm1peTVhOFE/view?usp=sharing

Hoo boy.

Let's start with the resume. The very last thing on your resume is the most important thing, which is that you have experience doing this. Why did you put that at the end? In fact, it's chronologically incorrect (experience sections on resumes are in reverse-chronological order, with your current/newest job first.)

Put your experience FIRST. It's the best thing about your candidacy. Your skills & ability section is fluff. Please stop using the words 'utilized/utilizing' and 'entailed/entailing'. "Strong $whatever" is the weakest possible statement you could make. SHOW me where you got the experience with these things. Don't just say "I'm good at O365 and and documentation", explain where you developed these skills. If you really want a keyword section, just put one in at the bottom and say "Selected Skills" or something. Finally, in your experience section, it just reads like a random task list. What was the strategic impact of these things? Why did you do them? How did they help the company? There's tons more to go on with the resume, but let's fix this stuff first.

Your cover letter should just be thrown out. It's generic and does nothing a cover letter should, which is to explain how your candidacy addresses the requirements of the job. You start it by saying that you want a job you're going to enjoy. As a hiring manager, I don't give a rat's rear end about that. What can you do for me? That's what your cover letter should be about. "I'm applying for the position of IT Drone #34. Your job description indicates you need someone with experience migrating servers from Windows 2000 to Windows 2013, which I did at Amalgamated Paper and Dildoes, Inc. I'm eager to work for your company because of $reason."

Also, your website doesn't work. Normally, this wouldn't matter, but I would expect someone in this industry using a vanity domain to at least have a parking page or something.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

1 guy on twitter with 11 retweets from 4 years ago and 1 craigslist ad from a brewery that doesn't "plan, budget, forecast, or waste time on getting bigger" doesn't exactly help your argument. Anyone who is biased against suit wearers in their hiring practice is a place you shouldn't want to work at because there's probably a lot of structural issues lying under the surface.

It's loving 2015. A suit is appropriate for any business meeting. If you don't think that's the case there's something wrong with you, not the suit wearer.

In the Silicon Valley technology industry you are flat-out wrong and there is clearly nothing anyone can say that will convince you of that fact. Showing up for an (non-sales) interview at Faceooglehoo! in a suit will create negative first impressions among the people who are interviewing you.

I've heard it countless times. Nobody says in the hiring committee "could you believe it, this douchebag showed up in a suit? Get a load of Moneypants McGee over here!", it's always "Well, I got the impression he wasn't really a culture fit" and boom, you're dead.

"ALWAYS WEAR A SUIT BECAUSE SUIT SUITY MCSUIT SUIT SUIT SUIT" is bad advice. Do you really expect people to believe that Google, Facebook, Amazon, PayPal, etc. are all places with "lots of structural issues"? Come on.

I also agree strongly with Dik Hz's thoughts on not wanting to work at a place. Your resume tells a story, and if it tells the story of "I take jobs out of desparation" then you shouldn't be surprised if the only jobs you can get are places you'd only work at out of desperation.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

huhu posted:

I've been applying for jobs now for about two months and feel like my resume and cover letters were bad so I took to rewriting my resume. I feel like this is much easier to read and all the information that should stand out does. Thoughts?

http://docdro.id/J7SaVwT

You have two "volunteer experience" sections, though the first one sounds like professional experience.

It's also a little light for my tastes but that's a preference issue.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Write "ENGLISH IS MY NATIVE LANGUAGE" in a .txt file and upload that.

Seriously, a combination of this and the other response. "My native language is English and my bachelor's degree from Whatsamatta U. was taught solely in English."

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Alder posted:

You can't write expected graduation date since that'd be committing fraud on your resume. Just write "coursework in xyz" and you should be OK.
It sounds like he is still (slowly) working on the degree, so writing "BA, Underwater Basket Weaving (expected 2028)" would totally be fine. A resume is a sales document. You don't want to tell lies, but there isn't an expectation that you disclose every minute detail about everything on it.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

What do you guys think?
A lot of "entry level hiring" programs do pay everyone they intake in one year the same thing, but only a horribly disreputable company would revoke the offer for you trying to negotiate. If you ask for more, they say "we pay everyone the same thing", and then you still try to push it, I could see them yanking the offer.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

6 hour interviews turn into 1 hour interviews if you suck. 6 hours mean they're going to extend an offer. As for the calls, if the news was that you suck and they don't want to hire you, they wouldn't waste the time and effort of the recruiter and manager. Hope this helps.

Just to be clear, lots of places will not do this (walk a candidate out early) even if they are completely bombing. I wouldn't say that "getting to stay through the whole scheduled time" is a signal for interview success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

the trump tutelage posted:

I have a weekend bird course in May that you basically show up to and get a certificate, but it nevertheless looks really good on your resume for the jobs I'm applying to. Is it kosher to put that course on my resume now and date it May 2016, or just wait?

Sure. "Bird watching mastery certificate, expected May 2016" is totally fine.