Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kells
Mar 19, 2009
I've resigned from my current job due to excessive workloads, stress, forced (unpaid) overtime... Basically just bad working conditions.

I know its better to have a job while you're job searching but the role was really taking its toll on my health. My CV (resume... I'm Australian) usually starts off with 'I currently work at x doing y' but as of Friday that won't be correct any more. Any ideas of what I should put?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/55ilpk2v8xmqo48/kells.docx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kells
Mar 19, 2009

DustingDuvet posted:

I did a VERY basic critique mostly of the content. Hopefully you can understand the reasoning behind my comments and apply that to your entire resume. Good luck.

Oh, thanks for that! If the stats aren't anything special is there any point in putting them in there? 10-15 calls a day won't impress anyone.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

I think I'm finally ready for a resume critique. I've almost posted this two or three times, then at the last minute decided it was all wrong and re-wrote it. I'm looking for a job as a tech writer, still working on my master's but it's a program designed to be done while working full time. I tried to follow all of the advice in the OP as best I could, please tell me if it still sucks! Thank you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijdpor1bqxz3z6u/ResumeCritique.doc

I'm just another internet person so you don't have to take my advice, but:

• You titled your first section 'Qualifications' but have not listed any qualifications there. Looks like experience or skills.
  • Also in the first section I'd suggest trying not to use the same word twice - perhaps change the first point to 'Experience translating Translated highly technical information...' so you don't have two 'Experience' sentences
  • "Developed the LinkedIn careers page as as part of the recruitment strategy..."
  • "Also Expanded recruitment/branding campaigns..."
  • If it were me I'd move the tutoring bit up into the 'Work History' section and flesh it out a bit, play up your being able to explain technical/scientific information in an accessible way

Just my 2c :)