Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Jet Ready Go posted:

To be clear though, I understand it's generally (or even never) a good idea to bad mouth your prior job... but if I get fired for not following orders I may have to explain myself in this way anyway.. Is there a polite way to hint your last job was unreasonable?

"I had a disagreement with management on a question of business ethics, and that's why I'm available" or something like that. If your employer gets caught, I'd also have an answer ready as to why you didn't go to the cops.

I'm not an expert on the hiring process by any mean, but this book helped me a lot with the interview process to get the job I currently have, and I've been recommending it to everybody I know who's interviewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ScaryJen posted:

I've gotten conflicting advice about whether saying this or listing my references is the way to go. Am I better off leaving them out entirely?

Leave it all off. If they want references, they'll ask. Bring a sheet of paper with your references and your own name / contact info on it to the interview so you can hand it over if they ask, and always be ready to email them.

And obviously, talk to your references before hand. I completely randomly ran into an old boss - extremely well respected in the industry but a bit of a character - the day before my first in-person interview, and a quick chat with him explaining what the job was and why I wanted it and can I have your phone number? is probably half the reason I got the job.

(Added bonus that I get "You listed who as a reference? :stare: You're brave." every time I mention it to anyone who knows him.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

movax posted:

How much is "too much" to ask increase-wise during salary negotiation? Let's say I ask for 20% to get my desired target of around 15%, is that madness?

Can you back it up with concrete achievements and an increase in duties and responsibilities? 15% is a huge, huge, huge increase unless you haven't been adjusted for a few years. It's usually single-digit percentage a year.

Seriously I'm renegotiating my yearly contract this fall and I'm expecting 5%. That's with greatly increased responsibility compared to the job description I was hired on for. I'm going to ask for 10% because I have no problems walking away if they laugh in my face, and even I would think 20% would be too much to ask for.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

movax posted:

Hmm, this is for an entirely new job, not my current one. Looking back at it, that is pretty insane, I think I will reword using "cost of living bump" or something like that, and see what they come back with.

You can get a much bigger increase for a new job, that's a completely different league. Especially when you're switching employers, according to what I've read that's when you get the biggest bump.

If it's the same company, it'd be pretty easy to find out how much they usually pay and work from there.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also continuing salarychat, most of the applications I fill out have "desired salary". My current salary is low since I'm working part time and not too often. The jobs I am applying for have salaries ranging from $50k - $95k depending on which job hunt website I look at. How do I answer this?

Don't. Wait until they ask you, then finagle your way into making them offer something. The first person who names a number usually ends up loosing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Gonktastic posted:

Is it a good idea to send anything back when you get an email saying you didn't get the job?

If it's a personalized email, yes, if it's a form letter don't bother.

Something along the lines of "Thank you for letting me know, sorry it didn't work out this time, please let me know if you need people in the future." But you know, written well.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

Good thing I didn't give a poo poo about my grades! Glad to know all that effort doesn't mean poo poo to you guys and you only spend 20 seconds looking at if we worked at a Fortune 100 or Fortune 500 company.

I'm not an hiring person, but really? Once you hit the real world, nobody gives a flying gently caress what your GPA ever was.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hard NOP Life posted:

Yeah, when you're a fresh grad.

And you have a 4.0. If you bring attention to it, it better be good.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah. Basically, you'll want to get an affordable suit that's close to fitting right and then get it altered to an exact fit. It's usually maybe an extra :10bux: or so, but having a properly-fitting suit will leave a much better impression if the place you're interviewing at cares about that sort of thing. Dunno about Macy's, but Men's Warehouse usually has an in house tailor to do alterations, so you can buy something there and pick it up in a day or two after it's ready.

Any place that sells suits will have a tailor in house, worst comes to worst you can always take it to another guy. You need to get a suit NOW, because alterations can take a few days and you might not be happy with the result (And don't be afraid to ask for further fixes, you paid for this poo poo, it's their job to get it right.)

There's a suit thread in YLLS that might be worth a look, IIRC the OP has some info on how to fit a suit. You could also invest in a copy of GQ or esquire and take a good look at how the suits are tailored - length of the sleeves and pants, length of the shirt sleeves, etc. Salesmen always want your sleeves to be too long for some reason.

The one measurement they cannot fix is the width of the shoulder, so be very careful with that. Everything else - jacket length (Down to the base of your thumb when your arm is completely slack, should cover your butt just barely), sleeve length (at the wrist, maybe a quarter inch back to show some shirt), waist, pant length (just a bit of a "break"), pant waist, pant crotch, leg width, that can be fixed. Suit pants aren't skin tight, but they're usually tighter than say chinos or slacks. If you stick your wallet in your front pocket, it should show.

What I'm saying here is that tailoring is what makes a suit look good on you. If you can only afford a $200 suit, that's fine (Even though the suit thread would probably go "But for only $300 more!") as long as you get it tailored properly. Tailoring is 95% of the difference between "Going to prom!" and "grown up with a grown up job." You're starting up, nobody's expecting you to be wearing $5000 custom made Italian suits, and face it, not a whole lot of people wear those anyway. If you've got $300 to spend, buy $200-225 worth of clothes and spend the rest on adjustments. You'll be fine, just get it tailored so it doesn't look like you're wearing your dad's suit.

Also go navy or charcoal (Not black, charcoal. There's a subtle difference, that difference is between "funeral" and "going to work.") and if at all possible, prefer wool or at least a wool blend, as it breathes better and tend not to retain wrinkles as much. I'd say don't worry about patterns at all for now, just go for a solid color.

(My work wardrobe went from "'k you still can't quite see my balls in those jeans" to "corporate" last summer, so I spent a bit of time reading about suits, it's really quite interesting.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Xovaan posted:

Suit obtained and tailored for my size/height! Now to peruse Goodwill for some ties. :)

I'm assuming burgundy? I feel like such a cretin not knowing this. :doh:

Burgundy, maroon, blue... Go with something that'll complement your skin tone / eyes. I'm partial to blue myself.

Stay away from loud patterns and wacky colors. Clip-ons, of course, are not an option.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

Yes all of this, with the slight addition than that your jacket sleeve shouldn't go further back than your wristbone when you shoot your cuffs (i.e. arms straight out in front, wrists down and fingers balled). Sleeve length is a tough thing to get right, and the difference of one or two tenths of an inch can make a huge difference in looks depending on your build.

Yeah seriously getting the sleeves juuuuust right is a pain in the rear end and it will drive you absolutely nuts if you're even a little obsessive compulsive.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Though it looks like the poster with the initial question got it mostly right from the photos, aside from some slack in the elbows (is there an inseam?) and pant legs that look just slightly too long, but it's hard to tell without shoes. That might come down to personal style; to me, fitted suits need to look, well, fitted. I think you'll do just fine with that one regardless.

I agree that there might be a bit too much fabric in the pants right now, but that's not too much of an issue. Always get pants measured with dress shoes on, no matter what the salesperson say. I don't know if it's the elbows or the biceps that are too big, but that's a relatively minor point. While I agree with HP here, we're nitpicking because we're spergy goony goons and that suit is perfectly fine for an interview. It looks good on you, it's professional, and it's perfectly good for a recent college grad.

Go get 'em.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Honey Badger posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but when places ask you to send your resume in an email, are you supposed to attach it as a document or copy / paste it into the email itself? I've seen some ask for both ways specifically and so obviously I do what they ask, but for ones that don't specify I'm not sure if there is a "standard" way to do it. I'm always worried someone will refuse to open an attachment because they are scared of viruses or something, and just decide to toss out my resume instead.

Attach. I deal with a metric shitton of documents and emails every day at work, and nobody sane puts substantial stuff in the body of an email; the formatting is almost guaranteed to go to poo poo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A quick message in the body, hello, please find attached my résumé for the position of X. Maybe a summary of qualifications or something, or the text of your cover letter if its short and simple.

Enough information that a secretary can route it to the proper desk.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What was your title? Dates of employment?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

nuthje posted:

Just started, probably until October, with a possibility for renewal, but that's TBD. Title's are vague here because nobody cares, which is very annoying when writing a CV/Resume, which indeed is half of my predicament.

What does it say for position on your pay stub? As for dates, it's July 2013 - Present (Contract work) or something like that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It sounds an awful lot like "Data entry". What's everyone else opinion on this, would "Clerical worker" or something like that work?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nobody cares about your objectives, but I'm a big fan of the summary of qualifications or whatever you wanna call it. You know what they're looking for, put it up front. They're gonna look at your resume for what, ten seconds? Make it an efficient ten seconds. Don't make them look under the second employer down for that AutoCAD experience or whatever. Plus it's a good spot to stick those somewhat-relevant bits and pieces like language skills or whatever.

Of course I live in Canada where we get a whooping two pages, so you know, your mileage may vary.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mondlicht posted:

I've been trying not to get discouraged.

The first interview that I had earlier last month was rough, as it was my first interview for a non-food service/retail position. It was an hour long and I was passed to multiple people, and I was very nervous. They never got back to me, despite my follow up email. I had an interview last week at a hotel that I thought went REALLY well, but they took the job listing off of their website and I haven't heard anything. I'm thinking about calling them, but I'm unsure. I just got off the phone today for another interview for a front desk at a vet clinic, which is next week. I was really awkward on the phone, it happens sometimes, my voice went too high in some parts and I felt the pacing of the conversation was weird. Not really the best first impression I could have made. I'm just on edge all the time, I'm watching my savings run out as a look for work and every interview is a mixture of me being hopeful and defeated. I always seem to find a way to make a mistake, whether it's being nervous or not being able to control the pitch of my voice for whatever reason like today. I've spent the last decade getting my jobs on the spot because they were food service jobs, and that's how those interviews worked, but now that I'm trying to get into different types of employment I find myself feeling like a fish out of water a lot of the time. Hopefully this interview will go well next week.

a) Relax. I know it's hard, but you need to relax.
b) Stop thinking about how you sound and the pacing of the conversation. Concentrate on what you're saying, what the interviewer is asking and where you want to take the conversation. You can think for a few seconds before answering a question (Remember that you're nervous, so time flows a lot slower than you feel like it does).

It's not an exam, they're not judging you as a person - they want to know if you know what you're on about and if you'd be a good fit for the team. Take a deep breath before you go in, forget about your savings for the duration of the interview and knock 'em out. It'll work out in the end.

And remember, you might not want the job. A lot of them suck pretty hard.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nobody in the real world cares about test scores, see the discussion above about GPA.

Isn't the GRE an admission test for grad school? The employer cares that you've been to and graduated grad school. They don't care about your entry score.

Would you put your SAT scores on there?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah that's amazingly positive. Don't celebrate or stop looking just yet, but you can allow yourself a contented smirk.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mike Danger posted:

So I don't know if this falls under this thread's purview, but:

- Tuesday, 11 AM: First interview (no phone screen) for a tech support job at a private school. Went pretty well. I'd say it was B - B+ job on my part. They tell me they'll be in touch by Friday.

- Friday 2:30 PM: My phone rings, goes to voicemail (can't answer the phone while driving). It's them, I'm the top candidate, they want me to come back and meet the superintendent (read: principal) Tuesday

- Friday, 3 PM: I call them back (goes to voicemail, 4th of July weekend, etc), tell them I'd be happy to come back, say Tuesday works

- Today, 9 AM: they call back, say my references are good (?!? I have never had a reference check done after the first interview), want to do Wednesday. I can't (set up another interview ~1 week ago), we agree on Thursday, time TBD, they detail the pay and benefits (the pay is lower than I was expecting (there was no salary data on Glassdoor, this was just based on my own guessing and some old information I managed to scare up about teacher salaries) and this might have come across)

- Today, 11 AM: they call back, 11 AM Thursday is my time, the superintendent will be there, they'll start working on an offer letter (?!?!?!?!? I have never had any kind of discussion of an offer after the first interview), "How do your prospects look right now?" "Well, I have two other irons in the fire, so I'd like a week to think about it" (I was given that much time at the last job I applied for to consider their offer).

- Today, 1:30 PM: I get an email from my old boss forwarding his email thread with Potential Future Boss at the job in question, it's all positive stuff. I had applied for a job working for my old boss (used to work P/T as an undergrad, a fulltime position opened up) and he says he wants me to get it but they really want someone w/ graphic design experience (which I don't have, so I'm assuming this is code for "we would love to hire you but it's not going to work out").

- Today, 2 PM: PFB calls. I am "not enthusiastic enough" about the job, "hesitated too much" about salary and benefits, and "am just shopping around" and would be a "flight risk". He wants to rescind the offer, I somehow talk him into still letting me come Thursday.

Was I super-enthusiastic about this? I wasn't jumping out of my skin to work at this place, but the more I read about it, the more I liked it, and it seems like the people that work there like it as well. Am I super-enthusiastic about this now? My gut is saying any place that can go from "holy crap, we want you so bad" to "get out" in < 12 hours is going to reveal some serious problems later on.

These guys sound crazy and you should approach with caution. A few weird red flags there. How starved are you for work?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You're applying for a part-time IT job as a college student?

You have IT experience and military experience. Your competition was a shift lead at McDonald's and fixed the register once. Don't worry about it, if anything you might be overqualified.

If you're applying for an actual grown up IT job (Full time, while in college full time on the GI bill? Is that really to your advantage?) then I don't know.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

For sans serif I'm in love with Segoe UI recently, but unless your recipient has Windows 8 it's just gonna morph into Arial, which is not nearly as appealing.

Yeah unless you're printing it out, or maybe PDF'ing it, stick to the standard windows font. It's only recently that Office 2010 got widespread, I wouldn't discount the possibility that the person reading your résumé might still be using XP.

Well the chances are slim, but you never know.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Would it be a waste of time to read up on salary negotiations before the interview I have tomorrow? I feel like there's almost no chance they decide on the spot to hire me (giving me time to read about it later), but on the off-chance that they do decide to I would have no idea how to negotiate.

It'd be good to take a look at some of the literature on the subject, just so you have an answer and messaging ready to go on the spot if they bring it up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

I just got a call from a recruiter for Liberty Life Insurance. I am like 99% sure I don't want to work there, and a quick google suggests they pretty much hire anyone with a pulse anyway. Is it worth going to the interview just for practice? I don't have a lot of interview experience, but I'm not sure this company is even worth messing with for those purposes.

Is this one of those commission-only sales job? If so, don't bother. If it's an actual sit down job, it can be worth a look, but the "hire anyone with a pulse" part usually indicates scammy poo poo jobs. (Not to be confused with "Hire anyone with a pulse and X certification", that usually isn't a scam.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

johnny sack posted:

Do people really feel that strongly about a neatly groomed beard?

Are you perfectly confident that it's going to be perfectly groomed - I don't mean neatly, I mean perfectly - 100% of the time when you're working or in any way associated with the company?

Alright now are you perfectly confident that this guy you just met is going to keep his beard perfectly groomed 100% of the time for the next five or ten years?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Your resume seems too crowded. Space it out. You can take some stuff out. This:

quote:

Advanced computer skills:
• Advanced Excel skills including databases, pivot tables, and lookup functions.
• Expert with Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Working knowledge of Access.
• Able to quickly learn new software and instruct others on use.
• Highly experienced with providing Windows/PC troubleshooting and tech support.

Is useless fluff. If you're applying to an accounting job, it's assumed you know how to use Office, Excel and a coffee machine. Are you applying to a tech support job? No? Who cares about your tech support abilities.

What are you trying to sell? Your education or your experience? Pick one and focus on that.

Your experience section could also use some trimming:

quote:

• Utilized phone, fax, and email to communicate with agents and clients
• Worked on special projects and assignments as needed.

These are basically filler; you don't need filler in a one page resume. White space is ok.

quote:

• Promoted from Bagger to Journeyman Clerk in less than a year.
• Performed cashier duties in an extremely fast paced environment

This is not particularly impressive - You have a college degree, you should be able to raise above the lofty rank of bagger - and yet it's right up front, while the more impressive part:

quote:

• Ordered merchandise and managed inventory for a grocery store with sales of $120k a week.

is at the bottom. Reorder that stuff. I'm not too keen on the list of classes either, but I'll let someone smarter speak to that.

It comes back to figuring out what you're trying to sell and emphasising that stuff. In your case, it's probably your degree. You don't need to get too in detail with less relevant work experience. Personally I'd scrapped the part-time retail jobs by the time I'd finished college, but I was specifically selling certification.

If you're making it to the interview then floundering, work on your interview technique. "Do you have experience in (field you're applying in)?" is something you should have a canned answer for. There are plenty of resources available online and in bookstore on interview preparation and technique, and you'd probably gain a lot from them.

Keep it up, there are jobs out there.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Jon Joe posted:

I have an interview tomorrow for an internship position where I also need to turn in a résumé. I only had one piece of thick, high quality paper and a printing error left it with some repetitious text on the back. Now I need to choose, do I hand it in explaining to ignore the back because it was a printing error, or do I turn it in on regular paper without the error?

Regular paper, it's not even a question. They won't notice that you used regular paper, they would definitely notice you telling them about how you screwed up on your first meeting.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

I'd also like to change the salutation at the top, 'panel' or 'board' is not accurate enough, I'd like a succinct way of saying 'To whoever ends up processing and approving this document.' Or should I just go with 'To whom it may concern?'

The format I use in those situation is to place the address up front, then a "to whom it may concern", or "dear board members", like so:

As to the content, the one professional association I'm a member of only required a scan of my certification documents, my experience listed on a form and a credit card number so I don't have much experience with that. My gut feeling would be to favor a bullet point type of approach. Remember also that your audience is people who are well versed in your industry, keep the HR speak to a minimum, and don't try to bullshit them. They want to see that you meet their minimums, that's all it is - remember that an association makes money by admitting people, not turning them away. They'll want to maintain their standards, of course, but if you meet them they won't look for a reason to gently caress you over.

Ask your co-workers what they did with their applications, or even check with your point of contact at the association.

Also,

quote:

Other tasks I have some experience in are:

If you have some experience, you have experience, don't undersell yourself.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 25, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Captain Trips posted:

[TELL] Me how to build a resume when I have no accomplishments to tout, no degree, no experience worth mentioning (a few years in general labor jobs and a year fixing computers) and no real idea what type of career I want.

:suicide:

E: I'm just trying to find a job in another city so I can move out of this shithole little town, but I don't have a network there. I'm just browsing Craigslist and it's 50% skilled labor and 50% college student telemarketing.

The first step in that process isn't to make a resume, it's to figure out what you want to do.

If your goal is to move, grab the telemarketing job. They aren't picky.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Thank god I found this thread. I'm looking for a new job at the moment, and I've known for a while that my resume is poo poo, but I haven't known how to fix it. Apparently I did a lot of the rehashing experiences thing, instead of showcasing accomplishments thing.

What do I do for a job listing where I don't really have any accomplishments to showcase? The job before my current one, I just kind of coasted through it and didn't really do anything that I can think of that was worth a ton. I think the most exciting thing I did was complete my forklift certification for the company, which I'm not even sure is valid outside of the company anyway.

-Completed company training in forklift operation in XXX month
-Aquired familiarity with XXX forklifts, YYY logistics management system
-Upheld safety and quality standards; worked XXX days without an accident or near miss

That sort of poo poo. It's not intuitive for jobs where your greatest accomplishment is not screwing up, but if you look hard enough, you aquired skills and you did poo poo, so put that down.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

It's not pushing it. The HR person gets 100's of emails a day.

Also scheduling is a mess for everyone at this time of year, with vacations and everything. Keep pushing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

They'll run the security clearance after you've basically been made a conditional offer. Having your name mispelled on official paperwork might make it more difficult, but having a name change on record probably won't be much better.

Take it for what it's worth (:canada:) but there's a mispelling of my name in official federal record and nobody ever said boo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

DON'T DO IT.

Seriously. They didn't hire you, move on with your life. You have absolutely nothing to gain from calling out an HR person.

Who knows, they might be hiring again next week, she might go to work for someone else, heck, she could forward your email to all of her HR friend. Don't do it.

Also people can sense when you hate them or have only contempt for them because they didn't google what your degree was about. Watch your attitude.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Some of the things in your résumé are more relevant to certain jobs. Applying to a warehouse? Mention that you can drive a forklift. Applying to be a special ed. teacher's aid? They don't give a gently caress about your forklifting skills but they're very interested by your BA in developmental psychology.

You have a couple of seconds to convince the reader not to bin your résumé. Make sure they spend those seconds reading something they care about.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

johnny sack posted:

What happens if she says "No" and ends up getting no more offers?

Seriously, unless you can afford to turn down a job with no other prospect, don't turn down a job because you've got an interview lined up elsewhere. Until you actually sign up for the job, you have no proof that they'll actually ever hire you:

-They could be burning up their interview budget but be under an hiring freeze;
-They could make you an offer you wouldn't want to accept;
-They could hire someone else;
-They could decide to fill the position internally;
-They could...

Breaking the contract depends on the actual terms of the contract. It could be as simple as two week's notice.

All that being said, you don't know yet that either Job A or Job B is going to make an offer, so you might be stressing out over a situation that will resolve itself.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Rough critique

- Jobs don't need addresses or phone numbers listed on a resume. Save that for the formal paper application they may have you fill out.

Agreed on the address, but a phone number and email address is pretty standard, isn't it? I mean they don't want to have to look trough a stack of paperwork to find how to reach you, and some jobs don't do the application thing.

My philosophy is that your résumé should be able to stand on it's own if the supporting documents get lost.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Sorry, I meant he should remove the address and phone number for each job he worked.

Sorry, I was on my phone and hadn't seen the resume. Agree with all of skipdogg's comments, take that poo poo off (They've got google) and put some more IT stuff up front. I'm not seeing an IT professional with 10 years of experience reading that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Captain Trips posted:

I've always assumed the other way around would be better.

Okay then, I've got mine in a PDF, what's the best way to submit it to this thread for critique? I don't have a PDF editor to strip out personal info, is that an issue?

How do you edit it before sending it to employers? Do you just always send the same one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Are you sure you want your GPA on there?