Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Just The Facts posted:

Thank you for the OP, already improved my resume. Two questions:

Should I name different positions in a company like separate jobs?* I haven't had that much full time work experience and since the jobs were very different and I was promoted 3 times 2 years, I figured that would look better.

*Company
+Current Position
[experience]
+Former Position
[experience] ect, ect.

That's what I do; this assumes the positions were different enough.

Just The Facts posted:

I had/have 'references available on request' because I have the private cell numbers of my former bosses/co-workers. Our company is being sold so a business number wouldn't work and I'm hesitate to be throwing their private numbers out and about. Should I just lose the reference section entirely or put their names and positions without a number?

Take out the reference section entirely. When they want references, they'll ask for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Are you seriously asking if it's ok to send resumes and cover letters with ads on them?

And why are you faxing things? It's 2013, nobody even reads faxes anymore. We use a fax-to-email system (And I think a lot of people do in these days and age) so it all goes to email anyway... And the person who gets them has been on holidays for the past two weeks; I just realized as I was typing that we haven't been able to receive faxes for two weeks. Woops.

Unless they're specifically asking for faxes, don't fax poo poo in.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The line spacing makes it really hard to read.

Are those gigantic white squares intended for a picture? Pictures on a resume are beyond weird in North America, I guess they're accepted or required in some other areas of the world.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

The large blank spot is an example of her work. I took it out for identification purposes.

Is that something that belongs on a resume? I'm not in anything creative, but aren't portfolios, writing samples and the like a separate submission?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You should have quoted Parcs and Rec extensively, of course.

Just relax. It's done, you can't change the past, alea jacta es. Relax and apply somewhere else while you wait for an answer.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

I nailed a second interview at a big corporate firm on Monday - but today it's Wednesday and I didn't hear anything yesterday.

Should I be worried? Or does it usually take a couple of days to get a call offering the job?

If it's Wednesday where you are it's early Wednesday. Those things can take a few days or weeks; did they give you a time frame?

When I got hired for the job I have now, it took about six weeks from the first in-person to actually starting, and a solid two weeks between the "You got the job!" and "Oh hey here's a job offer with salary figures." This is probably longuer than usual however.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You and one other guy is a team.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

There's always a client; you're not working in a vacuum. Doing in-house IT? Your clients are the other department. Doing production? Your client is marketing and distribution. Doing lab work? The client is whoever ordered the lab work.

A lot of people think client means customer or john, while it's probably more accurate to say it means "whoever enjoys or use the fruit of your labor".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Unless you were somehow implicated in the implosion, I wouldn't worry about it. Companies go bankrupt, people get laid off, life moves on.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

So, this doesn't have anything to do with anything, but I was just browsing Craigslist for job postings and I wanted to share this:

The job listing was looking promising till I saw this. So, uh... what? I guess someone doesn't want to deal with people who can't follow directions or something.

Or they've been drenched in absolutely fucktarded resumes and they've snapped.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah. I'm Canadian and I've literally never heard of people not putting their references on their resumes, which makes this even more confusing. Can any Canada goons weigh in?

I'm Canadian, and have always been told not to mention references on a resume. Except maybe 16 years old applying to McDo.

You get two pages as opposed to the US one page though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

They might not have funding to actually pay someone but want to use up their hiring budget.

Alternatively, they just can't find anyone.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Is firstname@signalnoise.net less "professional" than firstname.lastname@gmail.com or does anyone even care about the aesthetics of email addresses anymore?

As long as you're not using @currentemployer.com I wouldn't worry about it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If it's a customer facing position, they might also want to see how you'd react when faced with an absolute loving mouth breathing dumbass.

"Uh, what the gently caress kind of question is that" in any form is not very good customer service.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Friend's been looking for work for four months, gets offered a six month contract position.

She's considering turning it down because "too much contract work would look bad on my résumé." :psyduck:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

I hope you told her that too much not working would look worse (not that I really understand why; if I see huge employment gaps or lots of contract work, I'll ask about it, but I know times are tough right now).

I told her over and over again. Everything's contract these days. I just got my first permanent job after six years of (mostly long term) contract work. Almost nobody hires permanent off the street, especially in our industry.

Anyway she didn't take the job; amongst her justifications, she has a job-hunting course starting next week that she didn't want to miss, and she wants to hold out for a permanent position. :psyduck:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Misogynist posted:

It depends where you are and what verticals you're looking in. Healthcare hires are usually FTE out of the gate. Startups typically don't want IT contractors at all. Finance and defense industry hires are almost exclusively contract-only or contract-to-hire positions. Companies in the DC area, regardless of vertical, tend to hire contractors because that's all their labor market has.

Is she looking to have kids soon? Lots of guys absolutely don't get this, but being a woman in contracting can be a death sentence because in most states there are absolutely no maternity benefits for 1099s.

Edit: Didn't notice before that you're Canadian, and I'm assuming your friend is too. Is the situation the same in Canada?

She's very concerned about having kids, to the point where that's pretty much her number one selection criteria. I'm not entirely sure how maternity leaves works in the province, it's a government-managed system that's paid in by... I don't know, I work in a different province.

The issue is that she's in an industry that's basically 100% contract-to-hire or just contract, at her level of qualifications anyway.Personally I don't think she's taking her career in the right direction if she wants to be successful long term (There's a milestone qualification she should go get that she doesn't want to do), and I don't think she's being realistic in her expectations. I have a better resume (More experience, more qualifications) and I took a contract job 15k under her asking salary.

Anyway, it's her life, it's not my problem. I just think it's nuts to pass up a job - any job - with a large organization that's known for its retention after four months of fruitless job searching.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 31, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I've heard conflicting advice about this: Should I include a cover letter if it isn't requested? Or is it one of those "At worst they'll ignore it; at best it'll increase your chances" deals?

Include a cover letter, unless you have to upload your resume and there's no way to do it that isn't awkward as all heck.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It's not about the size of the text (you're using 11-12 pts, right?), it's about the amount of information. If you stretch out a one page résumé to take up 1.5 pages, it's still a one page résumé, but now it has a hosed up layout.

It's not about a magic number of pages, it's the amount of information and the time the reader is going to spend with it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Can I include my time as an intern towards my total industry experience? I'm applying for a job that requires 4 years industry experience and I have 3 years experience if you count my internship.

That's the whole point of an internship.

Experience requirements are pretty fluid anyway, apply.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Are you in academia? If so, nobody's going to bat an eye about you moving accross the country for a low paying job; in fact it's pretty much expected.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have to fill out a formal "application for employment" for the company and bring it with me to the onsite interview and there's one section where it says "list all employment" I've had for the previous 7 years. I'm assuming this is standard procedure so I've got to ask: are they really saying all employment or allrelevant employment?

Cause if it's the former then gently caress if I know the details (start and end date, supervisor contact, salary) of every job I've held in the past 7 years, which is conveniently from 18 and up for me. I've done several things at my college where I was paid with an actual paycheck/wages through the school for various organizations I participated in and such and I'm not sure at what point they started paying me vs. me just volunteering.

Is this part of a security clearance process? If so, include every little things you've done in those years, but you can be fuzzy on the date, or list the department's public number as a reference. If it's an employement thing heh... I'd go for relevant myself, as long as there is continuous employment or studying going on.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Have they called your references?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two pages resumes are fine in Canada, and everyone has multiple versions of their resumes. (I have "operational in Canada", "operational overseas" and "office jobs", for gently caress's sake)

You just don't send both to the same place, hence why HR doesn't get two resumes for the same person.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I've seen someone apply to be a marine engineer (specifically a chief engineer) with mechanical engineer qualification. The two are vaguely related, but not at all comparable from a certification standpoint.

Also we don't hire engineers. At all. Never have, never will. A five second look at the website would have shown that. Yet I still get resumes every week, from people who aren't even qualified to work in this country. (They always include their picture too)

I don't have anything to do with hiring, by the way. They just see my email on the site and fire.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

So it's perfectly OK to say something like "I'm moving to Vulcan soon to be closer to my pointy-eared homies." in the cover letter but you really will only make the move if an acceptable offer gets made?

They don't give a gently caress what you'll do if you aren't hired, so don't bring it up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bloody Cum Fart posted:

It was a very young (as in new) organization that had a LOT of problems. It was run by complete morons who became very insecure when smart people got hired. So to combat that, they'd sabotage the smart people (get them written up, etc). Add to that being sexually propositioned by higher-ups constantly and retaliated against when you refused, and it was a really lovely work environment.

"The working environment and organizational culture did not mesh with my long term professional development goals, and I did not feel the position would offer me the opportunity to better myself / further my career / finish my basket-weaving license."

Then segue into your long term professional goals and stuff as appropriate.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Or if you happen to cite something as a negative of your former job that your prospective employer consider one of their "core values" or such bullshit, welp, just talked yourself out of a job.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

How the gently caress do they know what you made at your last job?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ejstheman posted:

Careerbuilder asked me and I answered without thinking. I assume it's available to job posters. Should I remove it? Sounds like the answer is "yes," from what people are saying here.

Got invited back for a second interview tomorrow afternoon, wheeee. They say this one will be much longer (hours, as opposed to today's 15min) and will involve a period of shadowing a present employee. That's unexpected, but I guess I'll go with it for now. Is there anything shady that I should keep an eye out for? I get a weird vibe from this place, like they're running a scam that I haven't figured out yet. Maybe it's nothing.

If it involves door-to-door sales, vacuum cleaners, knives or selling financial products in-home, don't even get in the car with the person you're "shadowing", just leave.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Google the company?

Otherwise, ask what kind of product they sell. If they start rambling on about opportunity, being your own boss and freedom freedom 'merica, as opposed to "Vacuum cleaners" or "window cleaning widgets", it's a scam.

Also agreeing with the poster above that if you get the feeling it's a scam at this point, it probably is.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

cheese eats mouse posted:

How would you guys stop an interview process without burning too many bridges? I found out a bunch of nasty poo poo about a company that's interviewing me and I'm not really getting good vibes about working there. I knew they had a bad rap, but I thought it was just gossip, but I've found out they've pissed off a lot of people in the development and marketing communities with failure to pay, futile attempts at crashing other agency meetings with clients, throwing temper tantrums on facebook.

So I just don't want to go any further.

When they call to schedule the next interview, tell them you're no longer interested in pursuing the position because you've decided to seek other opportunities.

They're not going to go around the big industry networking events going "Oh, you know that guy Cheese Eats Mouse? Yeah, he totally bailed on a job interview once, what a loser". Chances are they'll have forgotten you before you're done hanging up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

"Dealing with health issues". If you really feel confident in your interviewing skills you could spin a story about how it's made you stronger and it's completely resolved, but I'd leave it as health issues.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sounds like a new and wacky way to determine how you react to being hosed with.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Second, he suggested that I make a portfolio. Again, this is pretty good advice for some people, but I'm not exactly sure what I can show off. I wrote an M.Sc. thesis (no publications yet) and have two teaching certificates. All three of these items are detailed in the resume anyway. What on earth else can possibly go in a portfolio for a biologist or environmental scientist who literally just finished schooling?

...what the gently caress?

Portfolios are for people in creative or design positions, you don't need one. And your food service experience doesn't belong on a resume for a biology position.

Do you actually have ten years of experience?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I'd say include it if you really have something to say, like you have a lot of relevant experience that isn't adequately reflected by your resume,

If that's the case you've got a problem with your resume

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Saintfuzzled posted:

I just grabbed an example US resume and modified it to fit my experience and I feel it looks okay. But I've been applying for jobs for a month and there's barely any responses. Is that normal in the US?

Yeah, a month is pretty normal. If you post your resume with identifying stuff blanked out, people'll be happy to help you with it.

Saintfuzzled posted:

my wife tells me it's better to go into a place and apply or call and ask, but most places don't appreciate it and clearly state the application process online is how it is. How do you people deal with that lack of personal contact?

It's just the way it is; you apply online and forget you've applied until someone calls you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A few years back, I half drunkenly filed out a job application at 2:00 AM on a Sunday / Monday night and got a call at 9:00 AM for a phone interview.

I don't know if that saying about wearing shoes during important phone calls has any merits, but I'd advise against doing phone interview butt naked at 9:00 AM. And I'd advise against calling unemployed people at 9:00 AM on a Monday without prior notice, especially if you intend to ask them if they can be in Australia by Thursday.

(They were offering roughly 60% of what I'd been making for 50% more work so I turned them down. It was the creepiest interview ever, too.)

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 4, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I spent about ten years working on boats and around boats and no one ever asked if I could swim, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Xeom posted:

Can i get some opinions on my new generic cover letter?

I see you’re looking for a ___, Too informal which would be an ideal position that would allow me to capitalize on both my educational and research experience.This sentence doesn't say anything. I am will be receiving my BSc in Chemical Engineering from Florida State University byin May 2014, and I am looking to begin my professional career.

My education has developed my technical expertise to a high degree. I am able to grasp complex technical information and communicate these to others without ambiguity. I work in an extremely organized and efficient manner, and can manage and prioritize objectives effectively. I am a goal oriented team player who always puts the team first.So's everybody. I have collaborated with research groups and worked with teams throughout my education.Examples? This is the only good sentence so far, but it needs to be concretized. I can rapidly acclimate to any team environment and quickly begin contributing to the team effort.

I believe I am a suitableSuitable's kind of :smith: candidate for the position in view of my credentials.Which credentials? Why? I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.Of course you do.

This could be anyone's cover letter, you need to actually say something about your resume. Ease off on the adverbs, too.

If it were something I'd received (I'm an operation person, not a HR person, so take it with a grain of salt) I would have stopped reading after the first paragraph because you just took three lines to tell me you're about to graduate university and nothing else, and I have things to get to.

Also you're allowed to start sentences with other words than "I".