Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I've decided to go for a career change and look into drug industry positions as a pharmacist. I had struck up a conversation with a medical science liaison and he encouraged me to go for it since I had similar skills when he opted for a similar change.

I've applied to six jobs now without hearing back so far. Applied to one yesterday and got a rejection letter the following day. Now I'm wondering if my resume is not as good as it seemed. I'm just glad I'm still employed and can fall back to another hospital pharmacist position if needed, but it was discouraging to get my first rejection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I'm in the process of applying for pharmaceutical positions back in Chicago. Out of the 15 applications I submitted, I have been rejected from seven. Out of those eight though, one company contacted me a week afterwards and asked if I was interested in an identical position but located in Indiana/Michigan instead. The hiring manager suggested that Chicago is a competitive market but my chances would be better if I applied for Indiana/Michigan instead.

Two weeks later, my application for Indiana/Michigan is moving along while my Illinois resume remains under consideration since that phone call. I would REALLY like to move back to Chicago, but should I hold out for a potential interview in Illinois or simply accept Indiana/Michigan if it becomes available?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

My guess would be that internally your Chicago application is a dead letter: if they have more pressing need for people in Indiana and fewer applicants for Indiana, an application for Chicago-or-Indiana may technically still be alive for Chicago but they'll end up picking someone else for Chicago and offering you the Indiana job, if they make you an offer.

IMO if you really aren't interested in taking a job outside Chicago the better play was to just tell them sorry but I'm only looking in Chicago. Playing along with the Indiana thing makes it less likely, not more likely, that you'll be seriously considered for the Chicago job by that company.

I'm assuming here that at some level the same person is in charge of both teams. If they're siloed all/most of the way up then it may essentially be like applying at two different companies and your play might be fine. But beware, even then, if you accept the Indiana job it will automatically be considered as withdrawing your interest in the Chicago job.

The incorrigible cynic in me is also wary that there isn't actually an open position in Chicago and that posting is just an HR bait-and-switch to try to fill the Bumfuck, Nowhere position.

I know it's not the cynical one at least. I wanted to try and understand the phone call because another colleague in industry suggested that the department liked me enough to steer me towards Indiana/Michigan but I would fall short for Chicago due to the larger pool of candidates. At the time of the phone call, the Indiana/Michigan position wasn't available for application.

I know I shouldn't trust what I hear from hiring managers, but I thought it was telling that they hinted that I would need some experience in the pharmaceutical industry before trying for Chicago and that I would have a better shot at Indiana/Michigan. At least my family is fine with staying for another couple of years in Bumfuck, Nowhere.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I have a group phone interview scheduled at a hospital system for an oncology pharmacist on Wednesday. Today, I received word about a phone screening interview with the same hospital system, but different location. I'm thinking I simply let them know I'm interviewing for a different position at the same hospital system, though I prefer the latter due to location. Is there anything else I should do or say?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Both of the hospitals I've worked at had random drug testing, but I have no sense on whether that's true or not.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

A recruiter contacted me about a position in drug industry that I am interested in and asked for my resume. I sent it to them a week ago with no response. Should I follow up on this with a courtesy email?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Crossposting from the Schadenfreude thread:

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I got a rejection letter from a job I applied to two months ago and Gmail is like hey put an emote to "reply quickly and add personality."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Drug industry job, Bayer.