Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I got a bite on an application I recently put in; they sent me a questionnaire. One of the questions is

quote:

Are you knowledgeable or proficient with the following computer languages?

· SGML

· HTML

· XML

If so how many years of experience do you have?

I haven't actually hand-coded any HTML in over ten years and since then it's been just off and on that I use GUI webpage design programs. What would be a good response? None of those things are even in the job listing requirements.

Also continuing salarychat, most of the applications I fill out have "desired salary". My current salary is low since I'm working part time and not too often. The jobs I am applying for have salaries ranging from $50k - $95k depending on which job hunt website I look at. How do I answer this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

Don't. Wait until they ask you, then finagle your way into making them offer something. The first person who names a number usually ends up loosing.

It's usually a required field in the application form.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm looking to supplement my current part time job with substitute teaching. So far, all the listings I see are requiring "three current letters of recommendation" to be submitted with my resumé. I've only been at my current part-time job a couple months so I don't know if my supervisor would be okay with writing a letter. My last job, the supervisor was a dick who emphatically didn't give the least poo poo about his subordinates so that's out. What do I do? Ironically, I know several career teachers but they're all family/friends.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I just got emailed by a recruiter, wanting to call me about a specific position. By coincidence, I had been generating a cover letter and brushing up my resumé for a different position at the same company. The one I had seen I think I'm a much better fit than the one she contacted me about. How do I bring this up during the phone interview?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Safe and Secure! posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but if a place lists their dress code as business casual and I'm going to wear slacks and a tucked-in shirt, I'd feel weird wearing a hoody. I guess a blazer is okay for this, then? But then from a distance, I'll just look like I'm wearing ill-matching suit pieces, no?

Don't wear a blazer that's similar in color to your pants and this problem will not arise.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What does it mean when a job keeps getting relisted? The same job description with the same requisition number gets its "date posted" updated every 4-6 weeks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

They might not have funding to actually pay someone but want to use up their hiring budget.

Alternatively, they just can't find anyone.

Probably the first. The companies I see this with are government contractors. My application status is still "active" though for that position even though the date has been relisted.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Not to sound too E/N here but how do I find out what the hell is wrong with me or my resumé? I got the DD overhaul, I followed the linkedin thread's advice, but I can't get a drat interview.
This really came to a head yesterday when I was at a job fair. The company HR guy looked at my resume and said his division couldn't use me for this and that reason, but another division got a big contract and needs people with just my experience and background so I should apply with them.
Well the thing is I did apply to the other division. A month ago. The positions are still listed and I haven't heard a peep.
Since I got the DD resume service in May I've been firing it to every company hiring in my field and I have not gotten a single phone call. I haven't even gotten calls from staffing agencies for related positions. I'm worried that my status as a reservist is putting HR lackeys off but I can't really quit that.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

lol internet. posted:

Simple question: Are you actually qualified for the jobs you're actually applying to? With the exception of the last job.

For most of them I meet or exceed all listed requirements. The remainder the only deficiencies are things like only knowing 7/8 listed software suites.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Can someone tell me what a posting like this means?

quote:

Geospatial Opportunities! Job
Apply Now Apply now
Date: Dec 9, 2013
Location Reston, VA, US
Geospatial Opportunities! (Job Number:304626)

Description:

The Mission Support Group of Leidos is actively pursuing Geospatial Intelligence professionals to support programs in the DC Metro, Virginia and St. Louis areas, as well as other CONUS and OCONUS locations.

Positions include:

GIS Analyst * Geospatial Analyst * Imagery Analyst * Airborne Sensor Operator * Full Motion Video Analyst * Image Scientist * ALIRT LiDAR Analyst * Linguist Toponymist * Geospatial Engineer * Source Strategies Analyst * Boundaries Analysts * Hyperspectral Image Scientist – HSI Scientist * Geospatial Requirements Analysts* SOCET SET / ArcGIS Analysts * Ground Motion Target Intercept Analysts – GMTI – IA * Intelligence Research – IA * Source Requirements Integration Analysts – SRIA * Multi-Media Operations Research Support to Analysis – ORSA

It's posted as a job with a requisition number and an "Apply Now!" button but there's a dozen different positions listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Xandu posted:

Do you want to work for a defense contractor/do you have a clearance?

Yes to both.