Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What the hell is a CV? I think it's a cover letter, but I don't get the V. What should go in my cover letter?

A curriculum vitae, as mentioned, is a sort of super-resume. If you're unfamiliar with writing one, I'd Google examples, because they are long and highly structured and you want to keep yours as readable as possible. Where a resume is usually looking for just your work experience and education, a CV is going to include anything you've published, relevant or notable work projects, educational details, relevant skills, and any private interests/projects that relate to the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

signalnoise posted:

How unseriously will I be taken if I mention I am a director for an anime convention?

Can you describe it as a media convention/consumer fair/trade exhibition? I would leave the word anime out of it if you can, but it is management experience worth mentioning if it's relevant to the position.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Yeah I just thought it would be awkward to use their full name or impolite to use just the first name but this is obviously the right answer

In conclusion I'm retarded

As someone with a unisex name, I'm totally used to getting my full name or just my first name in situations where Ms. [My Last Name] might be more strictly appropriate. I never hold it against anyone for not being able to psychically guess my gender.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

the posted:

That's such bullshit. "Man, we can't hire this guy. He might be *too* useful to the company."

The sad thing I'm discovering now that I'm on the hiring side after a couple of years of trying to break into my industry as an "overqualified" candidate is that many hiring managers don't keep themselves educated on the state of the job market. It might have been decades since they've had to apply to anything external, and they're often superimposing their own career path on candidates.

So it's not just "This person has five years of experience or an advanced degree - I bet she'll take off as soon as a better offer comes along." It's: "By the time I had five years of experience, I was in a senior position, and only my bosses had degrees. What's wrong with this person that they're still applying for entry-level positions?"

In the current competition we're running, I caught one of the managers automatically weeding out any applicants with a Master's degree or JD because she thought they must have been confused. She was sure they could just walk straight into an executive position and didn't see why any of them would be trying to start out in our office. When I told her that there are more people with law degrees out there than there are opportunities for young lawyers, she was legitimately shocked. "But law school is so hard to get into!"

(That said, this is no reason to give up. It literally took 90+ applications in this field before I got my foot in the door despite my Master's degree. Once there, I did all my entry-level duties and also volunteered for some projects that required some specialized skills. Those projects proved to be great networking opportunities, and a year and a half later, when another department was looking for someone with my degree, they pretty much threw the job in my lap.)

Giant Goats fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 27, 2014