Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If I send a resume to a company on the weekend (whether through an online application or e-mailing someone directly), how much of a risk do I run of having my application be lost to the void? I'm ignoring applying to jobs this week in the hopes of having my Master's thesis done by Friday, but I'm moving this weekend and starting Monday I'll be living where I'm living for the forseeable future, so I want to have a job there not too long after I move.

Basically do you think I should apply for jobs right now at the expense of other obligations, or do it this weekend when I might not be noticed as much, or wait until next week when I'll be idle but no closer to employment?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What's acceptable as a post-interview thank you note? Should I send a physical card to the company or just e-mail them to say "Thank you for taking the time to consider my application, etc." a couple days after the interview?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks, I thought doing it same-day might sound too desperate but I guess not. I assume I should send a note to everyone who interviews me (I think this interview will be with multiple people)?

E: Would it be better to e-mail each person I interview with a different note, or send the same note out to all of them at once?

VV Last interview I had was with two people at once, which is why I asked.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 14, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is it OK to take notes during a job interview? I did so during my last interview and the people who were interviewing me seemed confused, or at least I thought it slowed the interview down in an odd way.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there anything negative about sending an e-mail the day before an interview saying something like "Hi, I'd like to confirm that I'm coming by at X time in Y location for my interview tomorrow"? I did so for my last interview and it was a good thing I did because they had forgotten to confirm with me prior to that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't know if this is too much insider baseball, but when I used the goon-founded Resume 2 Interviews service they put my resume into 11 pt Garamond and it looks great, so there's that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Would it be a waste of time to read up on salary negotiations before the interview I have tomorrow? I feel like there's almost no chance they decide on the spot to hire me (giving me time to read about it later), but on the off-chance that they do decide to I would have no idea how to negotiate.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Had an interview last Thursday, would today or tomorrow be an appropriate time to contact them about it? Who would I contact (person who contacted me for an interview vs. person who interviewed me) and through what means (phone vs. email)?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had an interview one week ago tomorrow and I haven't heard back from them yet. I want to call tomorrow morning and ask about my status, should I contact the person who scheduled me for the interview or contact one of the people who actually interviewed me?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I didn't get the job :( When companies say things like "we'll keep your resume on file for future consideration", how often do they actually get back to people in that position? 0%? 0.0%?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm looking at an application for a tutoring position and their application has a section for entering your own standardized test scores (in my case ACT, SAT, and GRE). The thing is, it's been seven years since I took the ACT/SAT and three years since I took the GRE so I don't remember any of them (and wouldn't know where I kept the scores that were mailed to me). The section says "Please fill out as many scores as you can. If you are selected for an interview, we will verify your test scores"

--How much do you think I'd be screwing myself by not including scores?

--Where could I look those scores up? I took a glance at the ACT's website and there's no obvious way to look up scores from before 2008.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I know I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but I want to be ready in case they do hatch so I'll ask it anyway- I had an interview this morning for Job A that I thought went really well, and I expect to hear back from them within a week (it's for a part-time teaching position and classes start next Monday). However, I've also been told by a staffing agent that she's going to set me up to interview for Job B that would almost certainly offer more hours and a better pay rate, but at this rate I might not even interview there until next week, or the end of this week at the earliest. If Job A calls next week and wants to hire me before I hear back from Job B, what should I say to them? I'm also meeting with said staffing agent today- is it out of line to tell her that I need to interview with Job B ASAP? Should I ask Job B to make a quick decision because Job A might be (or has) made me an offer? It'd be nice if I could work both Job A and Job B part-time but I have no idea if that will be an option (and doubt that it will be).

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 19, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I accidentally let it slip to my staffing buddy that I interviewed with Job A :doh: She said she would just try to get my interview scheduled sooner and not tell them why. I also spent nearly my entire interview talking with her co-worker who used to do Job B and got lots of useful advice from him, so I think they're really trying to get me into Job B.

Omits-Bagels posted:

What if it is a teaching job that requires a signed contract? My wife has just been offered a part-time teaching gig that pays well but not as much as a full-time job that would. She has been out of work for a while but has about a dozen jobs that she applied for and is waiting to hear back from.

Yeah, Job A is a 1-year contract position (according to their listing) so I would have a hard time getting out of it, at least without feeling like a jerk. But they might not offer me the job anyway so I might have nothing to worry about.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had an interview for a position two days ago for a position that a local recruiting agency hooked me up with. I thought it went well and the manager I spoke to told me to take a day or two to think about discussing the position further while he did the same. I called him yesterday afternoon to say that I want the position but I was told he wasn't in, so I left a voicemail. I e-mailed him last night too, but so far today I've had no word from him. I spoke with my recruiting agent yesterday as well, and she had e-mailed them for a follow-up after my interview but heard nothing.

I still haven't heard from him even today, as we approach the limits of "a day or two". Should I be worried or am I psyching myself out? Would calling him again make me appear impatient and desperate, or would I come across as more of a go-getter type?

E: I e-mailed my recruiter to ask her the same thing and now she's not responding either :ohdear:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 23, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I know I just asked this, but when you interview somewhere and they say "we'll get back to you" is it ever OK to call them back before they call you? I had a pair of interviews last week and both claimed they would let me know early this week, but for personal reasons I'm kind of freaking out right now and really need to know if I got either of them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there a general guideline for how long it takes an employer to get back to you after interviewing? I interviewed at a place last Monday (so nine days ago) ago and another one last Wednesday (seven days), both of which said they'd get back to me "early [this] week". I e-mailed both yesterday morning to see if any decision was made and to re-express my interest, yet I haven't heard anything from either of them. Am I jumping the gun or should I actually be worried? Is this what being hellbanned feels like? :smith:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 28, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

skipdogg posted:

It depends. We are terrible about it. Someone in HR or in the hiring chain goes on vacation, and things get ground to a halt. It can take a week or so for us to get the offer paperwork together for someone we want to hire. Today is a little early to be worrying. Maybe worry if you haven't heard by Friday.

I actually heard back from one just now!
They turned me down :( And poured salt in the wound by telling me that I was a "finalist" in their discussion. That's the absolute worst, because there's never any indication on what you could have done differently to actually get the job.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

skipdogg posted:

You can't take that personally dude. It often comes down to two or three candidates and sometimes one is just a little bit more qualified than the others and that's who you go with. Don't get discouraged, there's a chance they might call you back if things don't work out with candidate #1.

Well obviously it's not personal, it's just frustrating to hear "hey we're not giving you the job, but we almost did!" and then you don't know if that's due to something you did (or didn't do) on the interview or some lacking qualification or whatever. It's just been a long summer of fruitless job hunting with a lot of drama resulting from me being unemployed, and not a lot else to take my mind off of unemployment. I'll save it for E/N though.

At least now I don't risk the situation of hearing back from both and having to turn down the guys that just rejected me, since the other job has better pay and more hours (and more career growth)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 28, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

skipdogg posted:

It depends. We are terrible about it. Someone in HR or in the hiring chain goes on vacation, and things get ground to a halt. It can take a week or so for us to get the offer paperwork together for someone we want to hire. Today is a little early to be worrying. Maybe worry if you haven't heard by Friday.

Well, tomorrow's Friday and I haven't heard back from the Wednesday job. That interview was set up by a recruiter, I last spoke to her on Monday and she said she was trying to follow up with the manager that I interviewed with. As a hiring person, who do you recommend I call first tomorrow- the recruiter or the manager? I last spoke to the manager last Friday, if that makes a difference.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 30, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bisty Q. posted:

Manager. But it's the day before labor day; nobody is going to be there.

seacat posted:

Unless the hiring manager specifically told you it's OK to contact them, call the recruiter. Many hiring managers who work through recruiters prefer not to be contacted directly.

Well I guess I'm calling them both :goleft:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm still waiting to hear back for an interview I had nearly two weeks ago, but today I had a recruiter call me offering me an interview on Thursday for a position that I'm pretty qualified for. How up-front should I be in this interview about the fact that I have another pending hiring decision on my head? I could see it going one of two ways:

A. If I do well they might think "oh we better make a decision on this guy soon before someone else scoops him up", and if they're leaning towards hiring me then that pushes them further in that direction.

B. If I come out with it they might think "look at this smug jerk, if he's waiting on another offer he'll probably get it/be happier there", and if they're leaning away from hiring me then that pushes them further towards that decision.

I feel like scenario A is the more likely of the two but at this point I'm not leaving anything to chance. My hope is that it won't come up at all, but if they ask or if it slips out then what do you think?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm sure a lot of that comes from me, and a lot of my nervousness comes from the fact that I left grad school back in June and thought that with a graduate degree I would have an easier time finding work, but companies keep turning me down for having no industry experience (and I was told this in at least two rejections, including one I just got today). Combine that with the fact that I have no money saved up (grad school) and how until recently my girlfriend and I (living together) have fought almost daily, and a job will fix this and let me actually start living my life. It's as if I'm being punished for doing what I thought I wanted to do, as all evidence I've gotten from job-hunting has told me that I was better off entering the workforce right out of college instead of going to grad school to try and become an even better future employee. And this is in STEM, which is supposed to flush with new jobs. Whatever.

Now to an actual question- Is there any conceivable circumstance where, as a man, I could get away with not wearing a sport coat to an interview? I have an interview for a six month contract (likely contract-to-hire) position that another recruiter just set me up for, and I've been wearing the same outfit to every interview I've done since April because it's my one outfit with a sport coat. I have other dress shirt/pants/shoes/tie combos that looks like, but the coat only really goes with one pair of pants, shirt and shoes. Should I just play it safe and wear the same thing again?

VV It's a chemistry laboratory job. When I went to my last lab interview wearing the aforementioned suit I was complimented by the secretary for dressing "the right way", and I don't know if that was meant for dressing up or going all the way with a coat and everything.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 4, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

CADPAT posted:

Not sure where you live and what you're applying for, but most jobs I got, I was not wearing a full suit to an interview.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're the best candidate, I really can't imagine what a difference a sport coat would make unless that's the dress that is normally worn in that work environment.

ohgodwhat posted:

I was tremendously overdressed for my financial job interview when I was wearing a suit. It was awkward, but I was offered the job.

I've always felt overdressed in that outfit but everything I've read about interviewing says to err on the side of overdressing or it outright says "wear a suit". I've just had that suit for years and I'm getting sick of it, and starting to (jokingly) wonder if the reason I can't get hired is because it's ugly or something. I guess if I wear something new, the worst thing that could happen is the same as before, which is not getting the job.

E: Follow-up- they were interviewing four or five other candidates today for a couple of similar positions, and of the other men only one had a sport coat. So either I'm safe, or we're all hosed :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 5, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Last week I went to interview for a position, and rather having me come in and speak to people one-on-one there were four or five other candidates also interviewing for the same/similar positions (they were contracts) so we ended up doing a sort of speed-dating thing where each candidate rotated through turns speaking to people in the company. I was worried that in the whirlwind interview process that this ended up being, I would perhaps get lost or mixed up with the other candidates when it came time to make a choice (especially since I was referred to by another candidate's name multiple times during the interview process).

Combined with the fact that I didn't get the position, I have to ask- what are some ways to make you more memorable to interviewers when they're screening multiple candidates? Would it be weird if, before the interview, I wrote down what I was wearing on the back of my business cards to give out at the end (nothing elaborate, just "blue shirt red tie" for example). I'm beginning to think that I keep losing job offers in the interview stage and I want to better stand out from candidates, yet I've read so many guides on how to interview properly that they're starting to repeat themselves, and I don't know if I'm too stupid to actually learn what the guides are teaching me or if I'm just horribly unlucky.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, both sides agreed that it was a rushed process and could have been done better (it was put together by a staffing agency), but I'm wondering if there are other ways to stand out more, even for a more ideal situation where a half-dozen candidates are interviewed one at a time over the course of a few days. Obviously your answers and actions during an interview are supposed to set you apart if done well, but I don't get feedback on those other than "we're not offering you the job" so I'm looking for other potential edges.

Your suggestion to shave my head has me wondering another thing- normally when it's time for a haircut I'll just pull out my clippers and buzz my hair down. Can a good, even buzzcut look professional in an interview, or do I need to keep getting a nice haircut once a month for that month's interview circuit?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Two quick things I've noticed that other resume helpers have told me about :

1. List your previous employment starting with the most recent and going in reverse chronological order. Your bullet points under each could be way more descriptive as well, if possible try to have more than 1 line of text per bullet but not more than 2. From the professional career consultant I spoke with-

quote:

Within one or two sentences these accomplishments should show what you have done by using words like “developed”, “invented”, “synthesized”, “produced”, etc. Do not use words that convey activity such as “worked”, “studied”, “supervised”, “managed”, "investigated", etc. Your prospective employer is interested in what you can do for his/her company. You show this by showing what you accomplished in your prior position(s). Do not indicate that you kept busy. That is implied by your accomplishments. If possible you should provide both an application and some quantitative measure of the value for each accomplishment. The latter can take the form of a dollar value for annual sales if a commercial product was involved; time saved in conducting an analysis; improvement in the number of samples that can be analyzed in a given time period; etc. A reasonable guesstimate is all that is needed. Exact figures are not required, but do not over-exaggerate.

An exercise I recommend is to take a tablet and list all your accomplishments from the current or previous job. Then in a second column adjacent to the first put the value of each of these. Afterwards put a star by the two or three which you feel are the most significant accomplishments, and use these on your resume. Then flip the page and do the same for the previous job, etc.

Do not include more than two or three accomplishments for each position. Too many clogs the resume, and other accomplishments provide items for discussion during an interview.

[Chemistry-specific stuff that doesn't really apply here]

It is the accomplishments and realization of the need for accomplishments that the hiring agent is seeking. Anyone can show activity without ever accomplishing anything.

That quantification is the most important part- what did you accomplish with bullet point A? Can you attach any sort of number to it like money saved on a project or a % increase in sales or productivity?

2. I've recently heard from multiple sources that you should never underline anything in a resume. I've not gotten any reasoning from them besides "if a computer is scanning your resume them those lines gently caress it up" but it's worth considering.

As for my fellow job-seekers, how long did it take you before all the resume and interview advice given to you blurred together? I've been out of grad school for three months (and looking for work for almost seven months) and I've been given dozens of guides, websites and fliers that all give me the same canned tips about networking, being positive, and whatever. Am I just too stupid to actually use this advice or do the rest of you feel like you're being led in circles with all this job-hunting guidance?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm a member of a national professional organization in my field, and on Thursday the local chapter around here is having its monthly meeting (dinner + a lecture). I'm planning on attending in the hopes of doing some good networking, or best-case scenario finding someone who wants to bring me in to interview because I've been unemployed since June. Any advice on how to strike a balance between being friendly and being "oh God please give me/help me find a job"? Or any other advice on networking at events like these? I don't think it's anything too formal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mak0rz posted:

Sorry to bump this so soon, but I have an additional related question. Is "Major GPA" something American schools do on their transcripts, or is it something you have to do yourself?

I ask because my undergrad cumulative GPA and the GPA calculated from required courses are the same (3.2). However, if I further narrow down the calculation to courses relevant to the industry I'm interested in working in it bumps to 3.5, making it a little more eligible to sick on my resume.

Is this basically how it's done, or is excluding courses like that considered dishonest and a no-no?

Edit: I'm in Canada and plan to stay here, if it matters any.

Nobody's ever asked me about Major GPA here in the U.S. In fact, I've had at least one person advise me to not put GPA on my resume at all, since I have a graduate degree too. I've never been asked about my GPA in an interview either but maybe that's just me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, I'll have a graduate degree too, soon. Maybe that makes the undergrad GPA moot. I remember you from the grad school thread and (I think) saw in DustingDuvet's thread that you grabbed a position. Congratulations :)

Can you weigh in on whether or not your graduate research or TA-ing should go in the same section as your employment history?

Thanks :respek: Since I have no actual industry experience I put my grad research and teaching assistant positions in my resume as separate entries. Surprisingly enough, I had a couple people in today's (successful) interview ask for a few words on my teaching post, which let me use an encounter I had with some former students as a "personal touch" story. As I get more actual industry entries to my resume I'll probably condense those two sections into one. The only person in any interview who has asked me about my graduate research has been the smartest/most senior person on that interview, and even then it's more out of curiosity and learning my work style than anything else.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 25, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bugamol posted:

When I was first applying for jobs in the accounting field I had the exact opposite experience. I was always asked for both my overall and major GPAs. I have been working for almost two years now and it is still asked about 50% of the time.

I'm sure that can be chalked up to a difference in fields- I'm in chemistry and the sorts of techniques and instrumentation that you've used before are much more important than how you did on your coursework.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Safe and Secure! posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but if a place lists their dress code as business casual and I'm going to wear slacks and a tucked-in shirt, I'd feel weird wearing a hoody. I guess a blazer is okay for this, then? But then from a distance, I'll just look like I'm wearing ill-matching suit pieces, no?

Business casual, to me, has always meant a button-up collared shirt, nice slacks, and dress shoes. If you want to be a cool dude you can wear a tie; for the place I just started working I wore the outfit described above with a tie for the interview, and then the same sort of outfit without a tie for my first day (QA lab technician). I don't think a blazer is a must for all types of interviews, but since it's starting to cool down you might as well wear one if it goes with the rest of your outfit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've been a temp for about a month in a company/position that I really like. It's a 2-3 month contract but I applied for a full-time opening of the same position and I'm interviewing for that tomorrow. How should I approach this interview? I know everything about the position so I'm not really sure what I could ask other than "how would things change if I went permanent?". Additionally, two of the four people interviewing me are people in my department that I've interacted with every day, and a third is a person who I see somewhat regularly on my job, so I don't know what they could ask me about other than generic behavioral stuff as I've demonstrated my aptitude for the position well enough already. I wouldn't be worried at all except that there are four temps battling(?) for two permanent spots in this process, it makes more sense to hire three or all of us full-time but I don't want to leave anything to chance.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
About a month ago I came across a job posting for a position in a field very close to what I did for my graduate degree (MS in Chemistry), with a company who made the instrument I used for that part of my degree. The posting was a couple months old and a little too far away for me, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to apply so I did. A couple days after applying I get a call from the hiring manager who wrote the listing, who said he was preparing to make an offer to another candidate but that he liked my qualifications and told me to keep their company in mind for the future. Today he calls me again to say they've hired someone for the role, but again we really liked your resume and we hope to talk to you again about your qualifications.

How much should I read into this? When I was applying for jobs right out of grad school hardly anyone ever contacted me when a position I applied to had been filled by someone else. I think I got one e-mail from a certain position and then the rest of it was me following up with them, no hiring manager ever called me and no one contacted me to "keep in touch" twice. No one's ever come on to me like this in terms of hiring, but is that what's even going on here?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My fiancee and I were talking about her pending results from a couple interviews she had recently, and in her angst I thought of something I never figured out when I was first applying for work- does it impact your chances of landing a job if they know (or you mention that) you've applied to other positions? On the one hand, I thought you were always supposed to make it out like the job you're interviewing for right now is The One and it's the best fit for you and your dream job and all that. On the other hand, no hiring manager is dumb enough to believe that their job is the only one you're applying to, right? If you're interviewing someone and they say something like "please let me know your decision soon, as I'm waiting to hear back from other places and want to compare them side-by-side", how do you feel?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A friend of my fiancee's is graduating later this year and is starting to look for jobs. A while ago I was talking to him about my job, and he somehow remembers enough about that conversation that he's interested in working for my company, and particularly my department. There's just one problem though- I couldn't recommend working at my company right now to anyone. The departments that do cool stuff are all over-budget and not hiring, and my department is a mess in general and just dull, un-inspiring work for which I'm sure he's over-qualified (but we're under-staffed and probably hiring). At the same time I still remember how hard it was for me to find my first job out of school and wouldn't want to put anyone else through that. If you were asking a friend to put your name in with their company, would you want them to be honest if it was a lovely job?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Misogynist posted:

Isn't basically every entry-level job lovely?

This is my first one so I don't know. But the pay is poo poo, the work is super-boring and I'm slowly losing confidence in our management & leadership. Admittedly I'd be down working in a different department at our company, but I've asked around and none of them are hiring despite losing staff in the past few months, which doesn't seem like a good sign. If this wasn't one of two jobs in my field within an hour's drive of where I live, I would look for something else (and we're moving at the end of this month so I will be able to start looking then)

N.N. Ashe posted:

How about you lay out all that information you gave us to them and ask them what they want?

I asked him if he wanted to work in a certain department, and he named mine.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Omne posted:

Well, after lots of waiting, the company has FINALLY decided on a date for my visit and in-person interview. Looks like it'll be next Friday, and they say in addition to meeting with different people, I'll be asked to create a presentation and present it to the group. I've had to do that before (among other "assessments") so I think I can handle it.

Now the real question is, do I make a long weekend out of it? Have my GF grab a flight and us get a hotel for the weekend, explore the city some more...hrm

If you would definitely take the job if it gets offered to you, then there's no harm in doing some early scouting of the local scene and some potential places to live. Plus it's not like you're going to get those vacation days back from your current job if you leave them for another one, right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think I asked something like this before, but what's the proper way to refer a friend who's interested in working where you currently work? One of my fiancée's classmates is graduating this summer and wants to come work for my company, and my department specifically. Ignoring the fact that I wouldn't recommend anyone come work for us right now, to whom should I pass his resume material? I was thinking of passing it to the heads of my department and our HR director, with a quick message along the lines of "Hey I know this guy who wants to come work in our department, here's his stuff in case we have an opening in the near future" (which we will). Does that sound about right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Without even touching the sexism part, don't ever be late even if they know you're going to be. If you think you might not make your scheduled time, call to have it bumped back 30 minutes or some discrete amount of time. In my mind being late is a great way to make a bad first impression before you even make a first impression.

As for me, I allegedly have an interview next week with my boss and probably his boss (and maybe even the next boss up) for a promotion they're trying to organize for me within our department. Any advice for that particular scenario? They want me to submit a resume and everything like it's my first time there. My boss also loves me (in work terms) and knows how valuable I am to the company, so I don't have to go out of my way to impress him but I may need to do so with the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
In the corporate thread we've been talking a bit about entry-level vs. upper-level positions, and I was wondering how much work experience/credibility do you need to no longer be confined to entry-level stuff?

I've been at my entry-level job (laboratory-based) for a year and a half now, with three years of grad school before that. I'm interviewing next week for a promotion at work where, if I get it, my title will be something along the lines of "Department Lead". While it's not a supervisor role I feel like that title, along with how much I accomplished here in 18 months, would be enough where I could be considered for an associate- or mid-level role elsewhere. I ask because my fiancee and I are moving next month and I'll have to re-apply for work in our new city, and I would like to not have to start at the very bottom again and I'm hyping myself up that getting promoted here will give me a leg up when applying for new jobs. Do you think having a promotion on my resume, especially after a relatively short time in the workforce, will give me a shot at those non-entry jobs, or does only having 1.5 years working experience mean I'm stuck there until I get a few more years under my belt?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 19, 2015