Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

Crazyweasel posted:

Here is a good way to think about it.

Those people who took huge pay cuts did it because they believe in the company and the 10 year promise. They would probably almost work for free if it didn't cost $X for food, rent, and a little on hand assurance.

If you can't see yourself making a below average salary for several years based on what the company promises, don't do it. I'm not a start up guru, but from what I hear it takes a lot of sacrifice and if you don't have the right mind set then chances are you will be on a nice cup of coffee, working your 12th consecutive 60 hour week, thinking to yourself "I can't loving believe I'm at this going-nowhere start up"

There is a reason why a lot of successful people have stories beginning with "I put every single thing I had in this company", because usually that is what it takes. The hidden side is all the unsuccessful people moving back in with mom and pop.

I think you are right on the money.

But there is also something to consider. If they can't pay you a good wage because they don't have funding, you should really ask why they don't have the funds? If the company isn't worth investing in then why invest several years of your life upwards of a decade to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. I will leave my GPA off my resume and emphasize the internship.

Good thing I didn't give a poo poo about my grades! Glad to know all that effort doesn't mean poo poo to you guys and you only spend 20 seconds looking at if we worked at a Fortune 100 or Fortune 500 company.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
My anecdotal experience has been that larger and more established companies care about GPA especially during internship recruitment during undergrad. After graduating- not sure.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
So you just prefer an empty email with 2 attachments?

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

I'm looking for work with graphics and the local newspaper is looking for a graphic designer to work with Adobe Suite. (aka someone to do typesetting in ads) They specifically ask for people with Mac experience. I've used Photoshop forever and I've had 5 months of working with Indesign. I'm as computer literate as most goons and pick stuff up fast. At this point I'm telling the people at work "Did you know you can do this with (PS/InD)"

My first take on the Mac requirement is to question the intelligence of the person placing the ad. They want someone to run Adobe Suite and it SHOULD be the same cross platforms. Is there some secret to using a Mac that a long term PC user wouldn't know? How do I answer when they ask "How long have you used Macs?"

Just lie and say you know how to use a mac, then practice on one at the apple store and take some of those classes- or don't- its pretty easy.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Quick question: What are the thoughts for long hair and a beard on a guy looking to get a job in either marketing, pr, copy writing, media, maybe sales?

I came from media before, where this didn't matter at all really, and I know it is a bit different elsewhere. I just really don't wanna not get a job because of something stupid like that. By long, I mean not shoulder length but long enough that I can pull back. Assuming I did do this for an interview, it would be blown dry, neat and pulled back. I usually have a full beard that I trim and shape up daily when I am not an unemployed hobo. It isn't a patchy neckbeard or any poo poo like that.

Hair is hair, I can grow back if need be. Beard my monkey genes will have that back in two weeks. The head hair is obviously quite a bit longer. If I were to cut, I'd be shooting for something like Patrick Dempsy or Simon Baker (I have curly wavy hair, and I'd still want some flow to it)

I am actually more interested in the thoughts on the beard, even though that is less controversial, I think. I feel that without it, I look like I'm fresh out of college instead of 28. People in general treat me a lot differently when I have a full beard

Marketing- neat trim beard ok, long hair ok
PR- neat trim beard ok, long hair ok
Copy writing- short beard, good haircut needed
Media- I don't know
Sales- clean shaven, hair cut

In general it depends on what region you are in. In San Francisco you can get away with anything.

In sales you generally want to look as sharp as possible.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
With sales you aren't just dealing with employees of your company. You are dealing with the general public. You could easily have a day where even 1 prospect or person you run into doesn't like your look and it shakes your confidence all day. Not only will they not buy from you, but they will poo poo all over you.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
Recruiters are scatter brained and full of poo poo. They make a living puffing everything up and say things like that to sound important. As soon as your conversation is over, forget it ever happened and operate as if his prospect never came into your head. They spend all day making these calls and all they can do is try and sell you for you.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
A recruiter can't make an offer, the hiring manager makes the offer. A recruiter is a middle-person, and inserts themselves as a go between. Them saying you will get an offer in 24 hours is worthless because the actual deciders need to see and meet and approve budget. Internal ones know more than external ones, but that doesn't raise the threshold by a whole lot. External recruiters earn by placement, so they work harder to actually sell their candidates to fit positions. Internal recruiters have their own metrics and whatnot but it is not the same as an external agency, and some internal recruiters are just straight salary don't give a poo poo if they place people at all types.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Thank god I found this thread. I'm looking for a new job at the moment, and I've known for a while that my resume is poo poo, but I haven't known how to fix it. Apparently I did a lot of the rehashing experiences thing, instead of showcasing accomplishments thing.

What do I do for a job listing where I don't really have any accomplishments to showcase? The job before my current one, I just kind of coasted through it and didn't really do anything that I can think of that was worth a ton. I think the most exciting thing I did was complete my forklift certification for the company, which I'm not even sure is valid outside of the company anyway.

The resume service on SA Mart is great for helping you uncover accomplishments. The key is to quantify everything you possibly can and not make any vague and obvious statements. I know what you mean though. Everyone wants someone who has "managed, accomplished, influenced" etc even for entry level or internships but wants them to be "team player" drones who won't accomplish anything here themselves and the cycle repeats itself. So they want you to tell them what you accomplished to sort of poo poo test you to see what kind of worker you are, or at least put yourself out there as.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
It's not pushing it. The HR person gets 100's of emails a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
Tell no one anything. Wait for offers. Pick best one. If you have to quit after a week so be it.