Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mike Danger posted:

What's a good way to word a request for someone to write you a letter of reference? I have to get them from 3 people. One of them I know won't be an issue, but as far as the other two know, I'm still at my old job on the West Coast (I moved back to New England), and I feel like that warrants some kind of explanation.

As for asking for a letter of reference for yourself, I am told to (obviously) ask if his/her letter of reference will be a good one. If he/she answers yes, then you can politely ask and ask about your positive attributes with details and examples.

As for the second part of your post about being at your old job, I presume you're hesitant about them knowing of your plans? That is another issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So I am doing a total overhaul of my resume and have a question about the education section advice given in the OP. I am getting my MBA in december, and would like to highlight that as its a needed bit of qualification on my resume. Is it still advisable to put it below my work experience or should I keep the education section at the top to highlight the MBA?

Because your MBA is recent (currently attaining) it is supposed to be at the top.

I've been advised that 3 years after completion of a degree that it goes on the bottom.

Am I correct, folks?

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Falcon2001 posted:

If you dropped out of college (and presumably not so shortly ago that you could say you're continuing soon), should you just leave it off your resume entirely?

Attending college and have college credits cannot hurt you. You also note it's the tech field which is "forgiving" for lack of a degree.

The common rule is Attended X University (with years attended).

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

johnny sack posted:

So after 3 years of self employment, part time while watching my kids the other time, I've been applying all over the place and have had half a dozen or so interviews. A few of these I felt really good about, a few of them I never followed up after the thank you email because I either didn't do well in the interview or wasn't that interested.

Now its back to grinding out online applications and resume submissions.

Why in the everloving gently caress does every single company do this:
Upload your resume
Attempt to parse the information so it fits into their terrible website
Ruin any and all formatting
Place random, odd errors all over your descriptions/experience/etc?

Either have us upload the resume or don't. I have seen some companies whose software takes a section of my resume, say EDUCATION and will change it to eduCATioN and other weird lower/upper case errors. If you should have a bullet point on your resume, you'd better believe that's getting changed to a little ? box on the website.

Are people seriously submitting their resumes in file types other than doc/x or pdf? Okay they probably are but why can't these websites simply handle a docx file? Are companies aware of how poorly their software typically parses a resume? And don't even get me started on those horrible sites where you click an open job description, but if you click BACK, then you have to enter all of your search information again, usually starting with North America, United States, State, Region, City, etc...

I am dealing with this issue almost every day.

Same as you state: upload resume, then the software categorizes it. It often takes short term contracting and think it's a separate job, asking for "rate of pay at the beginning and end, and reasons for leaving," when I've completed these company contracts and have letters and letters of reference to prove it.

If the software sees certain nouns and verbs - it classifies these into a separate job when it was actually not.

Some online applications are 6-7-8 electronic pages long: filling in the same info that is exactly on the resume. And these are for low paying jobs (I have about 2 months before I plan on moving to another state). Often, the online program that requires you to register on a forum-like website are for jobs that do not require any use technology.

Some of these online applications are not user-friendly even though I've been using the internet for 20 years.

I have even ended some applications and quit, to receive a couple of emails a day or two later reminding me that "your application to XYZ company is not completed yet. We look forward to receiving it."

I could see large companies putting up the hoops to jump through so they don't just receive "one-click" resumes form casually interested applicants as the unemployment and underemployment rate is so high.

But they way it is done is so bad.

Networking has always been important but it's so much more important that today.

Positive Optimyst fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 9, 2013

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Chaotic Flame posted:

EDIT: Also, I remember this coming up, but can't seem to find the relevant posts, but what do you do when in the online application form they ask for previous salary and salary requirements and it's a required question you have to answer before you can submit the form?

I have had problems with this also.

I was and now am working on 4 pay scales: $45/hour, $35, $25, and $22.

But I have to pick one choice for salary on many online applications and I don't want it to sound too high or too low.

It's so rigid.

Is there a way around this?

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Subyng posted:

What's the best way to explain a reason for a career path adjustment straight out of university? I just finished a graduate degree with some related experience in the past two years but I just realized that I don't want to do this anymore. What's the best way to address this in a cover letter or interview? I'm afraid of coming off as uncommitted (e.g. if I suddenly decided to switch career paths now, what's to say I won't suddenly switch some arbitrary time in the near future?)

IMO,

Your recent previous experience was helpful, however....

You don't need to note that you "don't" want to do that anymore, but note what you are *now* Interested in doing, specifically.

You just graduated.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I want to have some level of reassurance that the person across the table from me is actually a normal human being who has interests outside of work and can explain something in a socially perceptive way.

Kyoon Griffey Jr and others.

Please give me your opinion if you want to.

For the "passion" question, I did not note anything outside of work, such as a hobby or personal interest. I kept the answer about work / organizations.

I was asked at an interview early on: What's your passion?

My answer, to paraphrase: I positively stated to me "passion" was often but not always something that an artist, musician or entrepreneur has. For me, I am enthusiastic, energetic, and loyal when I'm working with an good organization and surrounded by positive can-do professional people. It's important to sincerely like our jobs and our colleagues (and clients if we're working with clients).

Is this good enough or way off the mark?

Thanks.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CarForumPoster posted:

Negative nancy answer:
Sounds rehearsed so I'd think oh this guy prepped this question (which is good). I wouldn't give it that much credence as a genuine answer that assuages the concern of "is this guy a sperglord". Also, at least in my world, the number of can-do people is pretty limited and often the client is frustrating. Are you loyal then? Why are we talking about loyalty when I just wanted to know if youre a weirdo?

Rather then airquote anything just say some poo poo you think is cool like cars or teaching people or whatever. (Dont list anything thats a vice)

Thanks for the response Car Forum.

So, the "what's your passion" question is about my free-time likes/passions and not related to work.

An honest answer for me is 'learning languages.'

Edit in: I found a youtube where it's advised answer the "passion" question with something related to the job and then give an underlying example. I'll make some notes and lists of ideas. (to be honest, "passion" is a weird term for me. I am hard working and loyal and a conscientious employee, though.)

Am I loyal? Yes, I am loyal when treated half-way decently. Serious answer.

*Also, in general I'm not a very good interviewer. I think it depends on how comfortable I am when I walk in. There is an instant atmosphere/vibe for me.

Positive Optimyst fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 24, 2017

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mango Polo posted:

Thanks. Less than 24 hours later I got asked to schedule a first interview call.

Asking for and hoping to get some advice from anyone:

It's been many years since I've done a phone interview.

I've been contacted and have been asked to have a "phone discussion" to ask questions about a company that is expressing interest. The job is not defined at the moment, but it's in the education industry. I assume this is actually a phone interview (obviously) so I need to prepare.

In addition to the general questions, what are some pertinent questions I can ask?

I don't want to dry up after a couple questions.

Any questions that are be recommended?

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

creatine posted:

So I've been on about 6 interviews for entry level lab bench work positions. None of them have gone past the first interview even though the body language of interviewed seems positive and receptive. I try to answer questions truthfully while also relating to the work their doing in the lab but I can't tell if it's just lack of experience ( graduated college in may and could only do one internship during a summer) or if I'm just completely loving up during interview.

Anybody got advice for interviewing for entry level science positions? I feel the approach to science is very different from other business interviews. Thanks.

We don't know if it's your answers to questions or that you're a new grad, as you say,

But have you watched youtube information videos on interviewing?