Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I like the OP, but I'd add in one important thing: an interview isn't just about impressing the company you're interviewing with. It's a two-way street and while they are evaluating you, you should be evaluating them as well. I realize it's kind of hard to appreciate when you really need a job yesterday or you're just out of school and job hunting for the first time, but, really, you should not just ignore all the warning signs and take the first job that comes along unless you have no choice.

I'm not sure how much reading that helps, though. I heard it a lot but it never really sank in until I started interviewing when already having a job.

Duckman2008 posted:

Quick question: what is a good font for resumes? Currently I am using Times New Roman, which I am guessing is not great.

I like really formal-looking serifed fonts like Garamond, Palatino Linotype, Bookman, and so on.

Positive Optimyst posted:

Because your MBA is recent (currently attaining) it is supposed to be at the top.

I've been advised that 3 years after completion of a degree that it goes on the bottom.

Am I correct, folks?

Come on, this is silly. There's no hard-and-fast rule. The important thing is that whatever thing would be most impressive on your resume goes on top. For most folks it's the job they've been doing that is related to the one for which they're applying, so work experience on top. If you're applying for an office job and you have a business degree but all your work experience is waiting tables, that probably isn't the case. Just use common sense.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
The colors don't matter, but yes, conservative is better. If it looks more like something you'd wear to church than to a club you're OK.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

Always use serifed fonts for the body of a resume, especially if the text is justified (and it drat well better be :)). Sans serif fonts are only for headings and the like.

Yeah, but using like, Times New Roman or Cambria doesn't, to me, look as nice.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

It isn't so much about looking nice as it is about readability. Serifed fonts scan more easily because the serif (or 'foot') guides the eye along the line of text. If you don't like Cambria or Times, just pick something else that represents how professional you'd want to appear. MS Word has plenty of eligible examples, and choosing a proper font is actually not as spergy as you might think it would be.

If you don't want to delve into that aspect, the standard serifed fonts are more than acceptable. The bottom line is that a font without a serif will cause people to gloss over the text if they're reading quickly. Kind of like when you're reading a book and get through several pages before you realize that you have no idea or ability to recall just what the hell you've been reading for the last couple pages.

I know... I'm just saying that I think, among serifed fonts, something like Garamond or Bookman gives a nicer impression than TNR.

For sans serif I'm in love with Segoe UI recently, but unless your recipient has Windows 8 it's just gonna morph into Arial, which is not nearly as appealing.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 17, 2013

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah unless you're printing it out, or maybe PDF'ing it, stick to the standard windows font. It's only recently that Office 2010 got widespread, I wouldn't discount the possibility that the person reading your résumé might still be using XP.

Well the chances are slim, but you never know.

There area a gazillion XP-safe fonts; you don't have to stick with Arial and Calibri.