Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I've been trying not to get discouraged.

The first interview that I had earlier last month was rough, as it was my first interview for a non-food service/retail position. It was an hour long and I was passed to multiple people, and I was very nervous. They never got back to me, despite my follow up email. I had an interview last week at a hotel that I thought went REALLY well, but they took the job listing off of their website and I haven't heard anything. I'm thinking about calling them, but I'm unsure. I just got off the phone today for another interview for a front desk at a vet clinic, which is next week. I was really awkward on the phone, it happens sometimes, my voice went too high in some parts and I felt the pacing of the conversation was weird. Not really the best first impression I could have made. I'm just on edge all the time, I'm watching my savings run out as a look for work and every interview is a mixture of me being hopeful and defeated. I always seem to find a way to make a mistake, whether it's being nervous or not being able to control the pitch of my voice for whatever reason like today. I've spent the last decade getting my jobs on the spot because they were food service jobs, and that's how those interviews worked, but now that I'm trying to get into different types of employment I find myself feeling like a fish out of water a lot of the time. Hopefully this interview will go well next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

a) Relax. I know it's hard, but you need to relax.
b) Stop thinking about how you sound and the pacing of the conversation. Concentrate on what you're saying, what the interviewer is asking and where you want to take the conversation. You can think for a few seconds before answering a question (Remember that you're nervous, so time flows a lot slower than you feel like it does).

It's not an exam, they're not judging you as a person - they want to know if you know what you're on about and if you'd be a good fit for the team. Take a deep breath before you go in, forget about your savings for the duration of the interview and knock 'em out. It'll work out in the end.

And remember, you might not want the job. A lot of them suck pretty hard.

I do better in person than I do over the phone, generally. Sometimes I'm great over the phone, but this morning I felt like the conversation was a mess. I mean, I got the interview, but still. Like I said, I thought the hotel interview went great. I didn't over think it before hand and get myself worked up, and that was a benefit. I agonized over my first interview I mentioned because it was a company/position that I really wanted and knew I was under qualified for, and it was the first interview I'd ever had for any kind of clerical work. So I can tell first hand that being a crazy nervous wreck before an interview didn't help at all, but it's still hard not to be a little on edge. I know a lot of unemployed people are in the same position, feeling like every job interview could be the one to keep you from starving. It's a lot of pressure, but yeah, gotta put it aside for the interview as hard as it can be sometimes. :(

The "time going slower" thing is something I should try and remember, too. Makes sense, but it's not something you really think about happening.

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 2, 2013

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

Had another interview, again have no idea how I feel about it. I don't know if I can contain how awkward I am in a tiny room with 3 people slinging questions at me, I at least made them laugh a bit? I don't know. I thought a previous interview went super well, but I didn't get a job offer, so who knows. :(

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

I've been keeping myself up at night lately trying to think of ways to make my employment gap easier to swallow for the people that interview me. I am pretty sure it's what cost me my last interview, since even they admitted they were desperate to fill the position.

Short story is that I quit my 3 year job where I was a star employee because it was a miserable place to work, and found a job at a new opening restaurant much closer to home. I was told the pay would be the same, because they had other restaurants that they opened and they are some of the most well liked in the city. They opened and business was not even remotely busy enough, and my hours were cut from full time down to 10 hours a week. They tried to put me in a hostess position, which I had never done before, on the really busy brunch shift. I couldn't keep up, and my managers were nice to me and seemed understanding, but when I came home they called and fired me. They told me it was performance related, but I know that in reality they just didn't have the room to keep me. The other two baristas (my position) were hired from their other restaurants, so it didn't surprise me that they preferred to keep them over me, who had no history with them. I got another job a month after this, that I had to walk out of because of the owner yelling in my face/taking money from me/not paying me overtime. Neither of these jobs are on my resume, and I pretend that the second job didn't exist.

When places I apply to ask me why I left my steady job, I tell them that I left for a new opportunity at a restaurant that did not work out. They didn't get the business they were expecting and they over hired. I don't want to tell them the name of the restaurant, because they a) lied to all my coworkers and told them I quit, so I don't really trust them to be contacted and not tell people that I'm garbage, and b) they didn't pay me for my last 2 days of work. So far I've been honest that I've been fired, but I just tell them it was due to over hiring, which is the actual truth. The last interview I had, they really tried to get the name of the restaurant out of me. I tell them that I'm not trying to speak poorly of anyone, and I'd rather focus on my experience at the previous job I had for 3 years where all my relevant experience comes from.

Is there something I should be doing differently? I've been told to lie and say I was "traveling" (not going to do that), lie and say that I quit, etc. I'm really mad at myself for taking a chance on a new restaurant, but I really wanted better for myself, and it bit me in the rear end. I've never been fired before and now I feel like it's this dark cloud over my otherwise fine resume and references, and now I'm 6 months unemployed and I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm feeling kind of desperate, and am starting to wonder if I should just grovel to the employer that fired me and say that I really need them to be a reference to me. Even though they wouldn't give me a separation letter so I could get food stamps. :(

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 4, 2013

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

Xandu posted:

How long is this employment gap?

edit:

If you're going to leave jobs off your resume, that's fine, but don't mention it during the interview. If you're going to say you were let go because they over hired, then the interviewer probably thinks it's a little weird that you won't mention the restaurant's name and that you don't want to "speak poorly of anyone." Maybe just keep it simple, say you took a job, it didn't work out, but you have lots of great experience and here's why you'd be a good employee. Or put it on your resume, depending on how long you were there for, it might not be as much of a problem as you think.

I've currently been unemployed for 6 months.

I'll admit that my performance as a hostess wasn't great, as it was something I'd never done before. That wasn't what I was hired to do, though, and the job I was hired to do I was good at. I've been doing it for 6 years, I don't have any doubts about my ability to make coffee. There just wasn't any coffee business, one of us had to go and I was the only one they had no history with. Maybe if I blew them away as a hostess I'd still be there, but I didn't have the experience to make that happen. I flat out told them I had never done it before, they knew. I feel like me not being able to handle it as a hostess gave them the performance excuse they really wanted. I wasn't the only employee culled.

I've never been in this position before, so thanks for the advice. I honestly don't know how to handle it. I've had interviews where I've been vague in the way that you suggest, and it's gone fine. They don't spend any time on it and seem understanding, but this last interview kind of threw me for how much information they wanted from me.

Hypation posted:

I think you have played it 80% correct....

I'd definitely put the job you moved to on your CV. Although I would not name it.

In two minds about the second - potentially that one too.

The first change is very well explainable by you... its black and white. The key is to get the interviewer to realise why you were no longer working there without explicitly saying it.
Focus on what attracted you to the move and then make comments about the number of staff and customers and the effect on your hours.

We would have [20+] tables with [5] wait staff. The busy period was between x and y. Then we'd have z many covers. For the rest of the time we'd do A covers. As a result my hours were cut back. I was happy to [do the hostess part] but even after a 75% 80%? cut in hours, I wasn't earning enough to break even myself and I could tell that the restaurant must have been losing money. I am nevertheless appreciative of the opportunity because I had the experience of being at the opening of a new restaurant, and it also gave me a heightened awareness of the financial elements of running a restaurant as well as a chance to work in other areas.

The second new job is a bit more iffy. That's because it amounts to a dispute with management over some issue. I don't know off the top of my head what to do on that one. I'm inclined to add it too the CV but again don't name the restaurant.

Thanks for this advice, as well. I really intend to leave the second job off of my resume and never mention it, it was a mess and they will be eventually shut down for illegal business practices, hopefully. It's a family owned business and they have no idea what they're doing.

I think there are ways to handle it with it on my resume, it might make it easier for me. I don't really get how I'd put it on there without naming it, I think it would look really strange, but maybe people do that? It's hard to tell. Like I said, interviews vary wildly on how they react to the information I give them about it. Some don't care, some really really want to know, etc. I don't plan on bad mouthing my old employer to anyone regardless, so if I can spin it in a way that makes it sound like I'm super understanding/not bitter then maybe the fact that I was fired won't take me out of the game completely.

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 4, 2013