Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I'm at the very edge of completing my degree, but my family is a bad place financially and I need to get a job as soon as possible. While I'm also applying to intermediate stuff for a quick buck, I want to drop applications to actually use my degree—in my case, graphic design. I have confidence in my skills and my degree (great program, great networking), but I can only assume it takes more than saying, "Well, I personally think I'm good," to get hired.

Some of my biggest issues include the family troubles and personal troubles have kept me from maintaining a job while going to school, excluding the year on my resume. The companies with positions I seem pretty qualified are often seeking young designers who have already lived the design firm experience, but I've only done in-house work. I have a broad skill set and worked with clients via my college classes regularly, but the projects were small scope. I've done quite a bit of freelancing, too, but I'm not sure how to integrate that into my resume. How do I work toward a resume that makes me look like a designer worth hiring, aside from glorious rainbow colors and shiny bevels?

Resume Draft #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

They're helpful for a foot in the door, but resumes are almost useless for creative work. Have one, but don't focus your attention there yet. Put together a portfolio, even if it's of hobby projects, free WordPress themes, pro bono flyers for local businesses, and My Little Pony/Doctor Who mashup colored pencil sketches on DeviantArt.

triplexpac posted:

I'm a graphic designer, currently on the job hunt.

One thing I've done that has really set me apart (in my mind) is that I have a ton of side projects besides my day job in a design studio. I have a magazine I organize & design on my own. I used to design DVD covers for a wrestling company. I do volunteer design for a couple charity groups. I spent the last year teaching myself photography.

I haven't actually been hired for anything I've interviewed for yet, but I've made it to the final rounds of selection a few times. Interviewers are always really interested to hear about my side projects, more so than my day job in some cases. They want to see that I'm really passionate about design, since I'm up against hundreds of other designers who all have skill.

So yeah, your resume itself is important, but having a body of work and a portfolio is vital. The resume will get you past the HR person if you list the skills their job posting asks for, but the creative director is going to look at your work to see if you know what you're doing.

Thanks, guys! I definitely feel like I could do something newer for my portfolio, but I'm always a little unsure. I've been interested in designing some concepts, but I'm dry on tangible projects to release to the public for the moment. It makes me nervous. I have a lot of ideas but I'm never sure where to start or who to connect with.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I’ve been recommended by someone high up in a major company to another large company, which is surprising, humbling, and scaring me to death. My most recent resume was slapped together after realizing how badly I needed to change jobs, and my portfolio is a weird blend of ancient work and a splash of brand new concepts. I’ve been catapulted from retail to referrals to popular brand companies in 2 years, and it’s giving me whiplash.

I have a call with the department lead in the morning, and I’m trying to keep myself together. I’m used to doing formal interviews, which are mostly practiced answers with strategic humor/humanity mixed in… I can’t imagine this should go any differently.

Out of curiosity, what should my LinkedIn profile look like relative to my resume? Should I be more detailed about my job descriptions on LinkedIn, or should the resume and my profile look similar/the same?

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

sim posted:

Resume and LinkedIn should generally be the same, but you'll probably want to limit your resume to 1 page (assuming less than 10 years of experience), but LinkedIn can be as long as you want and you'll want to stuff it with the keywords recruiters in your industry are searching for.

That makes sense—thank you! I worry about overdoing LinkedIn, but I can definitely list keywords for years.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

There’s a possibility I may receive an offer from a company, which will involve a career shift and a pretty big pay and benefit increase. I’ve searched my area to try to figure out what I should expect, but there’s not a lot of results.

It’s my inclination to instantly accept whatever they offer, because barring a lowball offer, it’s going to be a positive move. I feel like a mildly risky pick for this role—that is, I have experience, but there’s a fair amount of people with more that they could pivot to. This would be my entry into something more stable. It also comes with unlimited PTO and, based on what I’ve seen so far, they actually mean it. Probably. I hope.

Should I attempt offer negotiation when I could be looking at a life-changing increase in salary? Even if I don’t like this job, it’ll give me a way to pivot into the field I want. My current role has no upward movement, constantly gets pushed around in restructuring, involves being managed by people I don’t respect, and has been blatantly ignored for salary increases (along with the rest of my team).

This is a lot of words to say “how did I get here, why do they want to pay me, I am clearly an imposter,” etc.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Everyone is an impostor so don't worry about that.

Usually there's little to no room for negotiation on an internal promotion because they know your current salary and they know your BATNA (not getting promoted and also probably being closed off from any future promotion at this company) really sucks. The offer should be a very significant increase over your current salary commensurate with the very significant increase in responsibilities. If it's not a great salary you can bank the experience and resume enhancement for ~18 months and then jump.

So unless the offer is a comical "WTF are they thinking" lowball I'd just accept it. But I would get a very clear picture of what is expected of me in terms of hours/availability/travel first and negotiate on those points if necessary. You don't want to get yourself into a "my pay just increased 20% but now I'll spend 70 hours a week on work instead of 45, whoops!" situation.

e: sorry, this isn't the negotiation thread so I shouldn't assume people know the acronyms. BATNA = Best Alternative To Negotiated Agreement

I completely forgot there was a negotiation thread! :doh: Still, I appreciate the response a ton. It’s almost comforting to know that my current company is a dead end, because it gives me the motivation to keep pushing for something new no matter what happens.

If the offer comes through, I’ll ask about their expectations, then move forward from there. Thank you!

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Late response to both, but hey, thanks! I’ll keep looking into info. I didn’t hear back today, but that would’ve been relatively short notice.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Congratulations to VelociBacon and Arquinsiel! :toot:

Also want to add to "thank you for the tips" pile! I received an offer, negotiated with my BATNA in mind, and signed a contract with a drat good salary. Might even be able to afford a whole week of vacation in 2022.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Applying for jobs in design-related fields sucks. I want to have a resume and website normal humans can use, but then the ones that get all the cool likes and shares are bright, huge, busy, and chaotic. I know rationally that people must appreciate a simple design, but emotionally I feel like I'm missing out on having a portfolio site that's the modernized version of Angelfire personal sites.

I'm using a resume that was updated and written by a cool pro writer about a year ago, but I haven't received any responses across 40-some applications in the last two weeks (with consideration for Thanksgiving here in the U.S.). I still seem to be in the career field experience black hole of "I have demonstrable experience in this field for at least 4 years but that's not 7+ years so gently caress off." I've seen job postings making fun of the fact companies are asking for 10+ years experience in [specific field], but it's absolutely true. I've ignored a few of those signposts when it seems like I still match their needs, but it's not encouraging.

I think I need to design a personal case study to add to my UX portfolio that targets what I want in my career. I feel like it's a huge waste of time, but I don't have enough data from my last company (laid off) to build a case study on what I did there. I'm grasping at straws to understand how to stand out when I know I have the background. Maybe I should do another pass on my resume, too, probably with someone familiar with my field. Really, this all comes down to me finding someone in my field willing to give my resume and portfolio a glance.

tl;dr: I am complaining that design jobs suck to get, but I feel like I could do something more to improve my chances instead of complaining.

I removed the graduation dates from my resume, but every single application website has asked for a year at minimum, with the majority asking for month/year. Wish they'd check my LinkedIn instead if they care enough, but eh.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

It's been a week since I had a final round interview with a company. I was referred there, and while I managed to make it through the whole process, I'm getting huge imposter syndrome feelings while I wait. I know my experience is a little odd, but I have the skills. I think I'll always suffer some amount of self-doubt, since I started in poverty with no network? Even with the support and skill set I have now, it feels fake.

Optimistically, they're looking to hire several people at once to cover their new projects. It's also not like I've haven't had to wait before. The difference now is that unemployment money runs out.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

broken pixel posted:

It's been a week since I had a final round interview with a company. I was referred there, and while I managed to make it through the whole process, I'm getting huge imposter syndrome feelings while I wait. I know my experience is a little odd, but I have the skills. I think I'll always suffer some amount of self-doubt, since I started in poverty with no network? Even with the support and skill set I have now, it feels fake.

Optimistically, they're looking to hire several people at once to cover their new projects. It's also not like I've haven't had to wait before. The difference now is that unemployment money runs out.

I didn't get the job, and I'm not clear on why other than vaguely not being what they need right now. My last interview was okay, but it felt like having 5 separate people asking questions about my work and process split my understanding of what, exactly, they needed. My experience at my last role was broad, and I ended up going deep on every level of the UX process from research to design and iteration. Maybe having a catch-all role shot me in the foot? Maybe I should have focused on one part of it in the interview?

I'm pretty disappointed, but I won't stop trying.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Lockback posted:

Remember that an interview isn't a referendum on you and maybe they had an internal candidate, a more senior candidate, or a cheaper candidate instead. You won't ever get good feedback.

Some of it might just be experience too, having a panel of people all poking you in different areas isn't unusual, and next time you'll be a lot more prepared for it!

Thanks—I appreciate it. I've presented in front of groups plenty of times, but usually only 1 or 2 folks have the will/energy/knowledge to follow up.

I sent out a few applications today, including one to a local company I think I'd be a solid match for. I'm looking forward to, someday, having a portfolio that shows my live work rather than concepts. The vast majority of my files at the company that laid me off contained large amounts of confidential/NDA info, which is a huge issue for displaying competence at a glance.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

cheese eats mouse posted:

UX is a poo poo show to get a job in too. I’m senior level and having trouble getting callbacks for stuff I’m super qualified for. I feel lucky in that I’ve had several first round to later interviews in one month.

I think a lot of layoffs in tech were in design and UXR so keep on it. It’s just not a good time to be in design right now, but my professor told me in school I will get laid off at least once. Nature of being a designer.

It's tough, but definitely something I expected. I mean, I'm one of thousands who pivoted from Graphic Design, and if any of us don't know how crazy [insert concept] Designer jobs are yet, now's a good time to learn.

I hope your search goes well!

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I've been posting around BFC while I search for a permanent, full-time role (and messing up contract rates), and I figured I'd get some eyes on my current resume. Fair warning that it's a little unique to the UI/UX and design industry, so it's a bit more designed than other resumes and includes things like example case studies based on professional feedback. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uIWL1bgnEPHJ91IvoIqIpqYtW8UW6fAJ/view?usp=sharing

The bulk of the job descriptions and personal skills were written with a professional writer, with minor tweaks to focus on my current goals. I don't love having a column crammed full of keywords, but it feels necessary when nearly every application I do requests that I list my skills and tool proficiency out one by one somewhere. If I were to remove them, I could try adding them into the job description or below each description. I don't know what format would be more valuable, since I applied most of the skills/tools across all the listed jobs. I'm also not positive I should have the personal skills section at all.

Is there anything I could or should change that's noticeable?

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Have you had someone put it through ATS to see if it can be read? I had to stop exporting my resume from Figma cause Figma PDFs aren't readable somehow and someone flagged this for me.

Also a designer, I want to design my resume, but really scared of ATS rejections so i settle for what Teal can make for me.
That's a great idea. I did it in InDesign (old habits die hard), and if it can't be read, I may be able to gently caress with the tab order and get it more functional. I hate that the export forces the paragraphs into having hard line breaks.

Quackles posted:

What is Figma?
Li—

gently caress

Sincere answer: it's a website/app that's made for user interface designers to build wireframes and prototypes for digital interfaces. Others include Sketch, Balsamiq, and Adobe XD. It has dev tools, plugins, a Miro knockoff (if you're familiar with that), and more. It's the industry preferred version of that type of app, but should it be? Great question! None of the other do all things well or better.

broken pixel fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 16, 2024

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Adobe tried to buy it and I think that tells the thread how much of of a threat they considered it to be to their monopoly on the creative industry.

Also they're still going to kill XD so I guess they're giving up?!

Sketch you can't build prototypes, but I haven't touched Sketch in a few years so maybe they improved it?

For some reason, yeah. I can't imagine them not trying to replace it with something. I could see a future where they drop XD for an Epic Win AI Solution that'll be poo poo and/or kill even more jobs. :shrug: In the end, I don't like XD much, but it doesn't need to die.

Same boat RE: Sketch, but it seems like they added prototyping at some point?

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Lockback posted:

I'd maybe call your latest job 'UX/Product Designer'. The titles in this industry are all over the place but you seem to me to fall more towards what I'd usually call UX vs Product Design, so having your latest title reflect that better might help.

Otherwise it strikes me as a very good resume.

Good idea! I think I had it like that at one point, then tried to simplify when I didn't need to.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Double posting since I ran my resume through a tool designed to test ATS. Not going to pay for the full product, but some of the weird things it pointed out included:
  • It didn't like "Work" as a section title and preferred "Work History."
  • It suggested date formats be limited to one of the following: 01/17, 01/2017, January 2017, or Jan 2017.
  • It says that having hyphens in your file name can cause errors in some ATS. Didn't seem to care about the underscore.
  • It said that "self-starter" is considered a negative and should be self-evident in interviews.
  • It did recognize my measurable achievements and suggested adding at least 5 total.
Extremely YMMV, but the title, date format, and file name things are exactly the sort of poo poo I wouldn't have intuited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I did some resume reviews by outside help, portfolio reviews by outside help, many revisions. This most recent one I’m finally getting out to try and have re-done my portfolio 3x. I also paid for a cover letter cause I’m terrible at those and I’m pretty happy with what I got. Trying it out now.

Currently in the interview pipeline with a startup a former colleague is gunning for me internally, and have one out waiting for review (city govt) plus just had a friend refer someone directly to me Friday. Work your LinkedIn search and try to find the hiring manager for the role and send them your resume directly. I have gotten a few screeners this way, or someone in your industry plus your city that works at the place.
I'm cheering for you from my arguable entry to mid to senior level UX designer experience over here! I really hope one of your leads pans out.

I've not had any luck with contacting hiring managers recently. It may just be an issue of my portfolio not adequately showing my skill set (doing a consultation on that today) or my LinkedIn profile needing another rewrite, but I'm curious what kind of messages you all write when contacting hiring managers directly. I try to keep it brief, but maybe I should include a snippet from my elevator pitch?

I said come in! posted:

For those that have been laid off, especially in the last year, how was your mental state? How did/are you doing? Myself and my team were just laid off this last week and i'm freaking the gently caress out about it.
The initial shock hurt badly. Went through all the stages of grief a few times over. I took a break from jobs and hunting for 3-ish months—and by that I mean, I collapsed into depression and became entirely apathetic. People who get laid off often fall into two camps: the anticipator, and the blindsided. I anticipated it, felt completely burnt out after over a year of no real vacation, and couldn't keep pushing once the axe fell.

If someone's been laid off and can at all afford to take a break, I recommend it. That doesn't mean you have to 100% drop from the job search or ghost recruiters with good opportunities, so much as shift your priorities to caring for yourself for a bit. That being said, I know what it's like to need a job yesterday, too. Regardless of how you get laid off and how urgent your needs are, just know you're extremely not alone and the "oh poo poo gently caress" reaction is 1000% normal.

All of this is to say, I went from despair to apathy to my current "determined and re-energized." I need a new job! It's not a great feeling! But it doesn't hurt like it did six months ago. I hope that you don't need to wait for a job any longer than you want to, but if not, keep looking at ways to refresh your resume and connect to your network.