Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
What's a good way to word a request for someone to write you a letter of reference? I have to get them from 3 people. One of them I know won't be an issue, but as far as the other two know, I'm still at my old job on the West Coast (I moved back to New England), and I feel like that warrants some kind of explanation.

Edit: To clarify, the two people I'm referring to acted as references for the West Coast job, which was October - December of last year.

Mike Danger fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
So I don't know if this falls under this thread's purview, but:

- Tuesday, 11 AM: First interview (no phone screen) for a tech support job at a private school. Went pretty well. I'd say it was B - B+ job on my part. They tell me they'll be in touch by Friday.

- Friday 2:30 PM: My phone rings, goes to voicemail (can't answer the phone while driving). It's them, I'm the top candidate, they want me to come back and meet the superintendent (read: principal) Tuesday

- Friday, 3 PM: I call them back (goes to voicemail, 4th of July weekend, etc), tell them I'd be happy to come back, say Tuesday works

- Today, 9 AM: they call back, say my references are good (?!? I have never had a reference check done after the first interview), want to do Wednesday. I can't (set up another interview ~1 week ago), we agree on Thursday, time TBD, they detail the pay and benefits (the pay is lower than I was expecting (there was no salary data on Glassdoor, this was just based on my own guessing and some old information I managed to scare up about teacher salaries) and this might have come across)

- Today, 11 AM: they call back, 11 AM Thursday is my time, the superintendent will be there, they'll start working on an offer letter (?!?!?!?!? I have never had any kind of discussion of an offer after the first interview), "How do your prospects look right now?" "Well, I have two other irons in the fire, so I'd like a week to think about it" (I was given that much time at the last job I applied for to consider their offer).

- Today, 1:30 PM: I get an email from my old boss forwarding his email thread with Potential Future Boss at the job in question, it's all positive stuff. I had applied for a job working for my old boss (used to work P/T as an undergrad, a fulltime position opened up) and he says he wants me to get it but they really want someone w/ graphic design experience (which I don't have, so I'm assuming this is code for "we would love to hire you but it's not going to work out").

- Today, 2 PM: PFB calls. I am "not enthusiastic enough" about the job, "hesitated too much" about salary and benefits, and "am just shopping around" and would be a "flight risk". He wants to rescind the offer, I somehow talk him into still letting me come Thursday.

Was I super-enthusiastic about this? I wasn't jumping out of my skin to work at this place, but the more I read about it, the more I liked it, and it seems like the people that work there like it as well. Am I super-enthusiastic about this now? My gut is saying any place that can go from "holy crap, we want you so bad" to "get out" in < 12 hours is going to reveal some serious problems later on.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

These guys sound crazy and you should approach with caution. A few weird red flags there. How starved are you for work?

Kind of? I just recently picked up a p/t thing that will be starting this month or next, but I've been out of full-time employment for a while now. The interview tomorrow is a Skype thing but it's very similar to a job I held in the past, so we'll see how that goes.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
So, this has been weighing on my mind for a day or so and I'm probably going to sound like a nut, but:

I got a call for an interview at a local university. I was kind of stunned, because unlike the other university job interview I'd just had recently, there was no phone screen, just "we saw your application, when can you come here".

So, I head down there and talk to the HR guy. "There's four candidates, including you. Three external and one internal--" (alarm bells are going off in my head) "--but don't worry, the team is willing to consider an external candidate" We talk for 30-45 minutes. He took a ton of notes, and it went waaay better than other conversations I've had with HR people (less "let me explain our benefits package until your eyes glaze over", more "tell me about yourself"/just talking about college/the college experience) He never told me anything about what the follow-up would be.

He sends me out to wait, the team comes in. There's the department chair, the person who would be my direct supervisor, and the person who's already in my job. This interview went great. We had frank discussions about issues the department was dealing with, I talked at length about my work experience and was well-prepared for all the questions (I think), and generally I felt great about how everything was going. This also ran for a LONG time compared to other interviews I've had (hour and 15 minutes - hour and a half). When I left, the department chair (who had been running the second half) never told me anything about what the follow-up would be. (Of course, I didn't realize this until I was in the car and the adrenaline had worn off)

Now, I already sent my thank-you note and everything but I keep flipping between: "They're not going to hire me, they have the internal guy and just have to put on a show that they searched for someone" (evidence: no discussion of follow-up) and "You're worrying about nothing, this was for real" (evidence: time elapsed, why would the HR guy take all those notes on someone he wouldn't hire). I still have no idea what to think.