Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

trdn89 posted:

Last week, the boss who'd hired me away to this place quit for a new gig (and almost all of the work we did with our biggest client followed him out the door because the shop's owner was so eager to acquiesce to clients demanding favorable contracts which let them bail at any moment). He’s given me the OK to update my LinkedIn to reflect where I actually work, but now I’m left wondering two things:

1) Is it going to look bad to potential employers that I’m fleeing this job 6 months after I started here? One recruiter I talked to said I should just stay as freelance, although I’m not sure if that’s a good idea since the work I’ve been doing at this place should definitely be good enough to get me a new gig elsewhere in my industry.

2) If it does look bad, is there any way to mitigate the fact that circumstances have conspired to screw me?

You'll be fine. It won't make anyone auto-shitcan your resume and when you're asked about it in interviews you can put the "it was an exciting opportunity and I'm proud to have accomplished X, Y, and Z during my short time there, but I'm looking for an opportunity with a bigger/smarter/etc. company like yours" spin on it.

Could your current situation have been avoided had you researched the company more thoroughly before jumping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

I have an all-day interview coming up in a few weeks and I have been looking over the interview questions I have been asked in the past that has given me trouble. I'm hoping to receive my advice on how to go about the following two questions if asked during the interview.

"How do you tell someone no?"

"If you are accepted for this role, how would you deal with the different phases – let’s say Phase A, B, and C?"

1) "Diplomatically but firmly and clearly. 'No, and here's why.' If they take the opportunity to argue, there's value in listening to their concerns, but ultimately the meeting must end with them understanding that the answer is no."

2) I actually have no idea what this question is supposed to mean. Sorry.

If the question isn't testing your technical expertise then your delivery is far more important than content. In interviews as in life.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

"I'll be happy to. You'll love the results. I'll bill it out to you at $100 an hour, should I send the bill directly to you or to someone in your department?"

e: Serious answer, nothing in there seems like a red flag, companies do a lot of vetting at the high executive level and are wise to do so. But without knowing more about the exact nature of the project they apparently want you to do for free, it's impossible to say how reasonable they're being.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Your cover letter should be tailored to the job and say "Hi, I'm _________, I'm interested in your open ______ position because _________ and I will be awesome at it because ________. Thanks, Boywhiz88"

Be neither over-arrogant nor over-modest, communicate that you genuinely think you and the position are a great mutual fit, and that's it. Don't get fancy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I want to relocate. I'm beginning to worry that even though I'm applying to jobs in another city, they see where I'm currently working and think I don't want to relocate, I am too stupid to realize I'd have to relocate or just don't want to mess with someone currently living 200 miles away.

How can I express, "I want to get the gently caress out of this town" ?

"I am actively seeking to relocate to (city) and would love to work for (company you're applying to)."

That's all you need in a cover letter. No whys necessary, they just need to know that you're serious about moving and staying.

In the interview they'll ask why and you just give a super positive/professional spin on your reasons and you'll be fine. Of course if you're at a job level where it's appropriate for the employer to pay relocation expenses you'll want to adjust your presentation for that; don't leave them with the impression you'll happily pay your own expenses if you don't have to.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

a dingus posted:

Could someone let me know what they think of my resume? I've been at my current company for 3 years + an internship and I'm ready to make a jump. I was funneled in by a scholarship/rotational program and have performed multiple roles since graduating... should I split my experience into sub-categories with dates and titles?

Rotation 1 (8 months): Commercial quality working with assembly floor mechanics and engine test enginners solving quality issues and answering customers requests for corrective action
Rotation 2 (8 months): Shop floor tracking rework/repair of rotors and disks. Designed and opened a quality clinic (area for accelerated reinspect and RCCA). Performed RCCA/quarantined non-conforming product
Rotation 3 (8+ months): I stayed on in this position after the rotation was up and accepted a permanent spot on the team performing PPAP. I've been here for 2 years total.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7bPtiMJcolIcW1CWktmdXoxRHM/view?usp=sharing

Before I proceed, a question: are you intentionally packing your resume with buzzwords and writing it in corporatese rather than English? Generally I would say your resume should be as brief/simple as possible and present only the tip-top highlights; its sole job is to get you an interview and you can tell them everything else in depth during the interview. But just from skimming through your resume I sense that maybe you're sending this resume to people who (you believe) *want* it densely packed and written in corporatese.

I will say that if you absolutely must have a resume that long, I personally would much rather receive a two page resume than a one page resume that hurts my eyes just to glance at.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Okay, yeah, it's different if you're applying internally to move up in an entrenched megalith and writing your resume in the company's preferred flavor of Buzzword and Acronym Soup makes sense. I'd use a different resume to fish for outside jobs though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lord_Adonis posted:

Is it possible to successfully apply for a job without submitting any references?

Sure, as long as it's at McDonald's or Walmart.

e: The honest, non-flippant answer is it really depends. Generally what matters when it comes to getting a desirable job isn't references but connections. Most hiring managers I've known (myself included) don't pay much attention to the references on a resume beyond maybe having HR call them to verify they, y'know, actually exist. I don't really care what some person I don't know thinks about some person I don't know. If someone I do know knows the applicant and vouches for them, that counts big.

But generally if a resume doesn't even list any references, that's a red flag. Might be kinda dumb but that's usually the way the game is played.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 31, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sorry, I should clarify that I'm assuming from the question's wording that we're talking about like entry level through lower management here. Above that level in most industries references aren't really a thing unless specifically requested (which rarely happens), because (1) you probably didn't even hear about the opening unless you already know someone inside and (2) the interview process gets more intensive, i.e. the hiring persons make more of a personal effort to get to know the applicants.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lord_Adonis posted:

So if I cant cobble together a selection of references, I might as well head to the Job Centre?

What kind of job are you trying to get here?

Bear in mind that the bar for references is usually low. If anyone follows up on them at all it rarely goes any further than "Do you know Lord_Adonis? Is he an unemployable methhead? No? Okay, thanks."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Objective
To make so much money that Scrooge McDuck calls me up to ask for a loan to furnish his swimming pool.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You've overthinking it. There's really no way to hide the fact you have no significant experience. Besides, if all you're looking for is an entry level full time gig then prospective employers won't be asking for much. They just want someone who will reliably show up and do the work. Your resume and interview should communicate the message, "You can count on me. I have a positive attitude and will reliably show up and work." That's all it takes, really.

Your summary as written is... a little too overtly tryhard? I'd go with "Motivated, organized team player with a passion for customer service, seeking full time employment" and leave it at that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Are you sure? All of the summary examples I’ve seen online are around 3 sentences each.

I always admit I could be confidently wrong but yes, in your case I'm sure. You don't really have much to summarize so 3 sentences is just dragging it out in your case. If anyone smarter than me disagrees hopefully they'll say so!

Dark Helmut posted:

Just reading this thread for the first time in a while and for the love of god DO NOT PUT YOUR REFERENCES ON A RESUME. EVER.

EVER.

Next thing you know your references will be contacted by 800 lovely recruiters and they will rue the day they ever met you, much less serve as a credible reference. Save references for when you truly need them

Yeah in that discussion we were talking about applying for jobs at like the $15/hour and below level. No recruiter will ever see those resumes, I promise.

I talked with someone about this the other day who would know (low end career counselor) and they said there's no point putting references on a resume ever, because the jobs that might actually call a reference all require applicants to fill out a standardized application which will include references so it's a waste of time. So yeah, don't put references on a resume.

Covok posted:

Should I mention that I'm an eagle scout on my resume? Some family members overheard I don't have this on their an acted like I'm the biggest idoit in the universe. They are not really well-versed in job hunting outside retailer.

Does it matter? Like, honestly, I don't think people care about such things anymore.

It's possible my world just isn't big enough and someone is out there, but I can't think of any employer that would care about that, no. Generally you shouldn't take career advice from family members unless it relates to a company or industry they actually have recent experience with. Most people my parents' age still think you should look in the newspaper for jobs and that staying with one company for decades is normal and admirable, etc. Times change.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Of course. Applying isn't that hard, and you may be interviewed by different people this time.

Curiosity, how exactly was it that they got you last time?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Quality post AT!

Austen Tassletine posted:

I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions on this, but I don't believe that a separate skill section is necessary or helpful for you at this point. If the job requires certifications or knowledge of specific software, then of course it's sensible to have a section with everything clearly laid out so the reader can quickly find it. But in my opinion, for transferable skills (or soft skills, or whatever the terminology is), it is better to present them alongside actual activity so you can show to the employer that you have the skills and relevant experience.

This is two separate questions as regards a resume for someone seeking an entry level retail job versus someone seeking a higher level professional job.

For the former, the "skills" section is just padding as you have described, so the resume is longer than half a page. I honestly don't think the padding will *hurt* the applicant with most employers, as they just ignore it. Better to reword/reorganize that stuff though.

For the latter, the only things that matter are certifications and measurable/verifiable accomplishments (which IMO should each get their own section if relevant, though I've seen them just folded into Professional Experience in a way that works.) As usual, the answer is "it depends." Depends on what industry you're in, the exact nature of the job you're seeking, what your actual qualifications are (sometimes just dropping the pretense is better than embellishing in an area where you don't really have any meaningful qualifications), sometimes even the company you're trying to get into.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's funny how in salary negotiations both sides vehemently want the other side to name a number first, because in sales negotiations it's long been the accepted-and-handed-down practice to make drat sure YOU name a number first (setting the anchor).

My experience from both sides of the table leads me to agree with VC: many people overcomplicate it. As the prospective employee, do your homework, learn what the position's normal pay range is, decide what is the absolute minimum you would accept, add about 30-40% to that number and confidently ask for it.

If you're dealing with someone who knows what they're doing, they'll counter with a number well below what you would actually accept, and you negotiate from there.

It's also important to know what if anything is important to you other than salary (bonus structure, benefits, flex time, etc.) if applicable, and work that into the negotiation after your initial demand and their counter-offer.

As an extra thought, if a company offers WAY below what you're worth/what the position would pay and isn't interested in negotiating much from it, just thank them for their time and move on. It's a big red flag that the company is, for whatever reason, only looking for a short term stopgap at minimal cost. I had to learn this one the hard way, and then had it reinforced from the hiring company's side of the table.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Umbreon posted:

Do hiring managers normally hit you with the "So if we were to hire you, when could you start?" line if they're not already planning to hire you? If I get this job, it's going to be a 50% increase in pay and I'm pretty sure the interview went well enough.

Would hiring managers interview you if they weren't at least considering hiring you?

Answer is: sometimes yes; sometimes they already know who they're going to hire but HR policy requires them to go through the formality of interviewing a certain number of candidates. But in such cases they're going to hit all the standard interview questions, one of which is, "If hired, when could you start?"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

dahkren posted:

Hey guys,

I'm struggling to get any callbacks for jobs I've been applying for. My resume seems to follow all the normal advice. Summary of qualifications tailored to job, dated work experience with actual results and numbers in bullet points, education at bottom.

When I read through the resume it does seem a little cold, and I'm wondering if thats a thing that could be setting me back.

I'm applying for a position at a startup (retail/small business management to operations coordinator), and was thinking about changing my summary of qualifications to be more of a personal statement as to why I'd be a good fit, but whenever I try to write it it seems really over the top. This is what I currently have for the resume I'm working on for this company..

"Passionate about people and results. My team and I need to be the best, and I make sure we reach company targets and achieve our own personal goals. I strive under pressure; whether it be managing multiple projects or crushing sales on Black Friday, I get bored when there’s nothing to do. I have experience using, manipulating and visualizing data to find gaps and create plans. I’m extremely organized, highly motivated, and constantly developing myself to be better."

Now that I've posted it here it seems pretty silly sounding, should I just be using regular old bullet points on my summary or use this statement style but make it less flowery

Yeah, as written that's a bit of a mishmash of buzzwords and overly casual phrasing. I think I'd have to see the whole resume to really get a feel for where that info should be (if anywhere) and how it should be phrased. As written, I'd rephrase to something along the lines of:

"Energetic, passionate, and driven to overachieve. Experience managing goals and adjusting plans to changing needs. Proven track record of thriving under pressure and exceeding targets." (It can vary whether you want to write this kind of thing as a paragraph or as bullet points, but you get the idea.)

Oh, and it's thrive; you thrive under pressure, not strive. :cheers:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm looking for a job where I can work with my hands creating and building things, work mostly autonomously, solve problems, and be in different environments frequently. I'm also the jack-of-all-trades sort, who picks up new skills and information very quickly, and I consider myself to be very adaptable, and personable. I'm having trouble parsing all that into keywords and phrases that'll get my resume noticed by the job offers I want. What sort of specific phrases and words should I make sure to get in there to hopefully get noticed by the right filters?

Good luck pursuing your dream of getting paid to do creative things without having to answer to a manager, I guess.

(I don't mean to just be an internet dick but it's hard to come up with any useful advice based on what you said in your post. Employees generally don't get to work autonomously. After reading your wish list I have no idea exactly what role or even what level you're shooting for here.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

I had a Skype interview recently where they asked me how proficient I was in one of the main tools they use. I told them honestly that i used it for 2.5 years in my previous role and I'm confident I'm better than average and looking to learn more.

I was then proceeded to ask what a certain function was in the tool. I was confused and told them I had no idea and that I'm more familiar with X Y and Z uses of the tool. I looked up what he was asking after the interview and it was something basic that I'm definitely familiar with...

I feel like I dropped the ball... Should I explain to him that I'm actually well aware of that function in a follow up email or is it water under the bridge?

You can, but honestly if he's already disliking the answer he'll just interpret your followup as trying to cover your rear end after the fact. If you blew it you blew it and can't change that now. If you really want to bring it up it probably won't hurt, just keep it short.

Don't lose heart though, if the rest of the interview made them like you, you'll still be in good shape!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's not real likely anyone else totally aced all those questions either. As long as it doesn't turn out to be one of those situations where they knew who they were hiring before HR even posted the job then you're in the running.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sounds like you're just in a kind of lovely spot where you don't have the contact network to get the kinds of jobs you're qualified for. I know it sucks real bad but if you really need to get back to work (and if you can't go out on your own starting up something new or as a consultant) you might have to soften your resume and basically re-start your career from a lower level.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Usually people with your qualifications can't get headhunters to stop pestering them. What's happening here is, once again, Startup Disease: you accomplished a ton of valuable stuff and know how to fill a valuable role, but there are only a small handful of people in the world who know it. You get executive level jobs mostly by networking and you have no network. You said your CEO enthusiastically will vouch for you, but does THAT person have an extensive network, or are they just a startup founder in a similar position to yours?

Honestly it sounds like from your position going back for that Ph.D. may be your best play, and focus hard on making friends while you're at it.

e: also, being totally unwilling to relocate severely limits your options, but you already knew that. If there's no job to be had in Phoenix, that's all the more reason to go after the degree. "Spent X years getting Ph.D." plays better on your resume than "unemployed for X years" too.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 23, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Honestly there's little reason to follow up at all on entry level job applications. They look at your application and then call you if they're interested or don't if they're not. No one needing to hire more wage slaves puts the good applications in a folder and then waits to see which applicants will Show Initiative by calling them, no matter what your grandfather tells you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I just went from no interviews to 2 interviews next week. :woop:

One of those is with a company called “The Jubrey Agency”, which from a quick Google search... doesn’t sound too promising. It looks like it might be one of those :airquote:independent contractor:airquote:-type MLM companies. Most of the positive employment reviews reek of MLM bullshit (“don’t work here unless you want to WORK HARD and BE IN CONTROL OF HOW MUCH YOU MAKE and WORK MORE THAN 9 TO 5” :shepface:), but I may be wrong.

It's zero wage/low commission insurance sales.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For the record, I didn’t apply to that place. They saw my profile on Monster and emailed me to say that they had scheduled an interview for me without consulting me first. That maybe should have been a red flag.

:lol:

Thankfully the other company I’m interviewing at seems to be both on the up-and-up and a good place to work. Not sure what benefits they offer though. One of their job profiles says they offer dental, so hopefully they offer medical too.

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh man, I don't know quite how to break this to you but...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The tax situation is super complex now which is why most contract work is now done through an agency who claims you as it's employee and gives you a W2. Depending just how involved this is it's not necessary crazy to have a relevant attorney review contract(s) before you sign.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think companies make applicants do those surveys understanding perfectly well that it's testing that you know the kind of (non)personality you're expected to have and willing to pretend you have it. It's a Basic Corporate Culture test.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean you're not going to get the job no matter what you do so pestering them the second time won't cost you the job. It will annoy them and reduce any chances of getting any future jobs with that particular HM though.

Maybe you blew it. Maybe they were just going through the motions before hiring someone's niece. You'll never know. You just have to move on, and do better next time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Earth Table posted:

And not two seconds after I made this terrible post I got an email from the manager.

They said they liked my tests and I am at the top of the list. They just have one more interviewee though.

Is there anything I should do like reiterate my strong interest in the position or should I just say “That’s great news. Thanks so much” or something to that effect?

Awesome! I love being wrong! :cheers: Your friends weren't kidding about that manager not having their poo poo together.

And yeah, "Great to hear from you! Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing from you soon" is fine.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And yet most people who have careers spend far more time at work than with their spouse

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gothmog1065 posted:

Question, I am looking to try to get a job with better pay (healthcare IT, Epic cert, current hospital is one of the lowest paying for any of these positions). However, it seems that some of the hospital are pretty aggressive on wanting to know pay, probably so they can pay as little as possible. I didn't put my pay in on the application, but if that doesn't preclude me from an interview, if they pester me for pay, what should I do? Just keep telling them what I want and negotiate from there?

I know this is asked a lot, but I'm on my phone so forming is hard.

Definitely check out the OP and recent posts in the Negotiation Thread on this very forum.

Short answer: Definitely never ever disclose your current salary. ("I can't discuss that.") If they press you hard to name your desired salary, politely but insistently decline and turn it around ("It will depend on a lot of factors; what are you offering?") If the interviewer refuses to continue the interview without you naming your desired salary, end the interview. You don't want to work for that company.

That's the general advice you'll find in the negotiation thread; I know nothing about the hospital industry's norms.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why do you really want to work for a company where you had a negative interview experience where they made you uncomfortable and you do not agree with their feedback.

Also where the same position got posted again soon after along with a bunch of other positions. There are some serious red flags there

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

I just got hired full time at a job I'd been IT contracting at, but my new pay is like $4k less than I had been getting. I thought I was getting screwed and was complaining to a co-worker who had been there for 12 years.

If you're in the US and depending what your salary is, a lot of that $4K gap is closed if you're now paying only one half, rather than both halves, of the FICA tax. Or are you already taking that into consideration?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm a W-2 contractor, so yeah my contracting company was my 'employer' and paid all my payroll taxes. They also made like 10 bucks for every hour I worked and will probably get at least $10k when I'm hired full time.

Since I'm now starting to hate my new job I kind of want them to pay out that finders fee and then quit. So they save $4k in salary, pay out 10 grand on a now worthless finders fee and get to start all over training someone new.

What's changed since you became an employee that's got you hating the job so much? Kind of confused on why you accepted this change and then quickly became disgruntled.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Are we talking like retail here? Because above that level everyone with a clue understands that applicants generally don't want their current boss knowing they're looking for work.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sometimes you don't get hired and never realize just how huge of a favor that company did by not hiring you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

has there ever been a job fair that isn't just a hotbed of predatory MLM shitheels

Yeah, they're pretty common at the <$12/hour level where pretty much everyone is chronically understaffed

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Depends on the job. It doesn't really say anything, but some HR people love that kind of stuff. Others detest it. It's situational.

Personally I wouldn't put that in my resume because I wouldn't want to work for someone who is impressed by empty buzzwords. But that's just me.

e: Am I allowed to pick some nits though, Nessa? If not please just don't read past this line.

I think your resume could be lifted from good to great just by tightening up the wording. Just to (egregiously) nitpick a couple things;

Original: "Successfully branded/rebranded companies with new logos, business cards and stationery after client meetings, sketches, mockups, and continued communication about the project."
Consider: "Outstanding track record of working closely with clients to produce a sharp new comprehensive look for their brand." (A competent employer is going to know that meetings, sketches and mockups were involved, right? Also, do you have links on your websites of examples of these things? If so, put it on!)

Original: "Consulted clients on logos, colour choices, typography, and layout and how it relates to their needs and the needs of their customers."
Consider: "Advised clients on using logos, colours, typography and layout together to please the eye and attract customers."

Original: "Built new, responsive website..."
Consider: maybe cutting the entire second sentence? The link's there, your work speaks for itself!

Generally with the Freelance Graphic Designer section, the more specific you can be the better. If there's any way you can say anything along the lines of "sales increased by 20% after implementing my new branding" without it being totally demonstrably false, that would take the prize.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

buglord posted:

Finishing my third month as a temp at my new job. Looks like my contract is over or whatever, and the company wants to have me as a fully integrated employee. I’ll have health insurance and a transition from hourly to salary. That second part concerns me though.

How do I negotiate a salary with a place I already work at? My boss, which will apparently be discussing this with me, likes me and appreciates my work. So I feel like maybe that’s bonus points for me. But maybe I’m overlooking some pitfalls? A coworker hinted at what her starting salary was, which seems quite a bit higher than the average for this job in this region. Do I go with that number? Is there any downside for me playing this hard and loose by throwing (reasonable) numbers out there?

Best advice I can give is to carefully read the OP in the Negotiation Thread in this very forum, and in particular be realistic and consider what your BATNA (Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement) is, because it determines how willing you really are to just say "no" and walk away if you don't get what you want.

The only thing I'll add is that going from hourly to salary absolutely positively DOES mean they will suddenly expect you to work a lot more hours. So whatever your per-year earnings were as an hourly temp, it's reasonable to want a significant boost on that so you don't wind up taking a 40% pay cut on an hourly basis. Also remember that if you were contracted through a temp agency, the agency is taking at least 20% and maybe as much as 40% of your earnings as a commission, so that money's already in the company's budget.

HOWEVER... the company's BATNA is they shitcan you and start over with a new temp. Which is annoying for them, but if your BATNA is you're unemployed and have to scramble for work while bills pile up then they have more leverage than you do; an unsuccessful negotiation will hurt them less than it will hurt you.

Anyway, read the thread for sure!