Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crew Expendable
Jan 1, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Quick question: what is a good font for resumes? Currently I am using Times New Roman, which I am guessing is not great.

Non-serif: Verdana
Serif: Georgia

Both were designed to be legible on computer screens as well as print (e.g. 12 pt Georgia is bigger than 12 pt Times New Roman). This is good because whoever reads your resume may have relatively poor eyesight or may be stuck with a low resolution monitor (At my last job we still used CRTs! :suicide:). Finally, they're standard fonts so if you have to submit your resume as a MS Word document instead of PDF there is a slightly smaller chance that Word won't screw up your formatting because you went with a custom font or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crew Expendable
Jan 1, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

EDIT:^^^ Ah, I see what you're saying. I guess I can try and work something out around that idea.^^^

I tried going to the guys site and I'm getting a "server not responding" error from it. I posted about it in that thread though, and am posting here cause I know the guy reads both threads.

I'll try and keep that advice in mind though. I think the biggest problem is that that job was literally nothing more than "punch in, sell stuff, move stuff, do training modules, learn about the products in your department, punch out, go home". I didn't have the chance to try and be better than anyone, innovate anything for the company, or really apply myself. I did learn quite a bit about the various things in the departments I worked, but I'm not sure how "proficient is patio building techniques and interior design theory" will translate to anything applicable in the fields I'm actually interested in.

Yeah you can phrase this as "Sold X [pounds/units/dollars worth/gallons] of [product] per [day/week/month/year]." Like in the OP.

The OP posted:

Numbers, metrics, and performance stats are your friend. "Sold over $30,000 worth of widgets to 294 separate accounts during December" vs. "Responsible for the sale of widgets for the Northeastern division" -- which one do you care about? Who cares if the best widget seller sold $1,000,000 worth of widgets? Nobody else knows that!

No one's going to know if you were an average worker:shobon:.

Would you mind sharing what kind of fields are you interested in? If you are interested in anything on the creative side you can try to play up your patio and interior design skills while; interested in a job that requires lots of social skills then emphasize your skills as a salesman; interested in management then emphasize how you coordinated patio construction or something. Presumably, at least parts of your job required you to complete tasks with more than one step or took longer than one day. Those parts should be complicated enough for your to write about in your resume.

Crew Expendable fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 2, 2013