Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

themrguy posted:

If I've scored very well on a standardized test (GRE), should I include it to talk myself up as much as possible, or does it come off as assholish?

I am not an expert but I would laugh if I was asked to select intern candidates and saw that. It's okay to say you have great written communication skills but a GRE isn't the way to prove it. Isn't the writing portion computer scored anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

themrguy posted:

Is mentioning membership in academic honor societies similarly tacky?

You should include those. You want to brag to some degree, but a standardized test isn't a good way to do it in my opinion. Too many bad things could be associated with listing it.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Bisty Q. posted:

^
(Exception: If you have nothing else to mention.)

This was my assumption since standardized test scores were on the table, but I should have been specific

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Advice request. I am in engineering and I applied to an internal job posting (a significant reach, but by the letter of the law I meet the requirements) two weeks ago. The post close date was 9/20. Today the deadline was extended to 10/31, which sounds to me like HR isn't impressed with the applicants so far.

HR here is a black hole, but would it be worthwhile to send an email or call to reiterate my interest? I am hesitant to do this because I don't have anything meaningful to add to my resume or cover letter.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

We have that same issue, on the internal posting they're required to write "a preferred candidate has been identified" but generally post it to the general public without that disclosure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

They will ask for references after the interview if they want them, no need to give them that now.